Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2008, 00:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Performance hatchbacks? EDIT : Booked Polo!

i have been goin through the threads and there is not much mention about the upcoming Fiat Grande Punto and the Ford Verve much. my zen is 6 years old now and i have loved ist peppy engine but now i am looking for an upgrade to a slightly bigger hatch (due to parking problems i am leaning towards hatches and not mid segment cars).

I am very impressed with the fiat grande punto's design and wish to know more about it- when is it expected (i have heard its coming by sep-oct)?? also will the fiat 1.6l engine be available on it??

Coming to the Ford Verve. it looks pleasant and i have heard great reviews of the fiesta 1.6l engine which it would be offered with. when is this expected??

My budget is 7-8 lacks and the car would be used for city driving (self driven). Also is the Skoda Fabia 1.8 expected to make it to India??

I am sure many people would be waiting to know more about these cars. So help.
Old 1st June 2008, 11:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

No, Skoda Fabia 1.8 is not coming . Though the 1.,9 Diesel is coming pretty soon

Grande Punto is expected to be here somewhere end september and will have the legendary 1.3MJD and the 1.6 , i think , will not do any duty there.
Old 1st June 2008, 11:29   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
i have been goin through the threads and there is not much mention about the upcoming Fiat Grande Punto and the Ford Verve much.
Please check these threads. Punto have been discussed-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ing-india.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...24-months.html
Quote:
when is it expected (i have heard its coming by sep-oct)??
Linea will come out soon. Grande Punto might be early next year.
Quote:
Also will the fiat 1.6l engine be available on it??
Grande Punto is much heavier compared to the Palio. Dont expect same levels of performance.
Quote:
Coming to the Ford Verve. it looks pleasant and i have heard great reviews of the fiesta 1.6l engine which it would be offered with. when is this expected??
Ford Verve is coming? Never heard that one!
Old 1st June 2008, 11:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
i have been goin through the threads and there is not much mention about the upcoming Fiat Grande Punto and the Ford Verve much. my zen is 6 years old now and i have loved ist peppy engine but now i am looking for an upgrade to a slightly bigger hatch (due to parking problems i am leaning towards hatches and not mid segment cars).

I am very impressed with the fiat grande punto's design and wish to know more about it- when is it expected (i have heard its coming by sep-oct)?? also will the fiat 1.6l engine be available on it??

My budget is 7-8 lacks and the car would be used for city driving (self driven). Also is the Skoda Fabia 1.8 expected to make it to India??

I am sure many people would be waiting to know more about these cars. So help.
the fiat Gm in cochin said it will come out the exact day when tata releases NANO
:-)

Mods note: Use punctuation properly. Use upper case to start a sentence.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd June 2008 at 08:06.
Old 2nd June 2008, 09:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
No, Skoda Fabia 1.8 is not coming . Though the 1.,9 Diesel is coming pretty soon
any idea about how much it can be priced at? i don't think it'l be within my budget. infact seeing Skoda's current pricing it should be 8+lacks.
even if they would have launched the 1.8 it would have been somewhere close to that price but for that motor i would not mind stretching my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Linea will come out soon. Grande Punto might be early next year.

Grande Punto is much heavier compared to the Palio. Dont expect same levels of performance.

Ford Verve is coming? Never heard that one!
but don't you think Fiat will tweak up the current 1.6 for better performance and stuff. it should be a great car i think and if not faster atleast as fast is the palio 1.6.

any clue about the rest of the engine options to be offered?

and yes the ford verve was expected early 2009. but have not seen its mention anywhere as yet so maybe the launch is delayed.
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:59   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

The 1.4 T-Jet sold in UK weighs 1060 kg (120bhp, 19.4kgm) and does the 0-100 in 8.9s!

source: Fiat.co.uk | Fiat Showroom : Latest Offers, Book a Test Drive, Fiat Car Range and more

I don't think that the GP is sold in the 1.6(P/D) version anywhere. They may release the GP in 1.6D version some time later. The 1.9D engine may never make it to India!
Old 2nd June 2008, 13:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post

The 1.4 T-Jet sold in UK weighs 1060 kg (120bhp, 19.4kgm) and does the 0-100 in 8.9s!

source: Fiat.co.uk | Fiat Showroom : Latest Offers, Book a Test Drive, Fiat Car Range and more

I don't think that the GP is sold in the 1.6(P/D) version anywhere. They may release the GP in 1.6D version some time later. The 1.9D engine may never make it to India!
1060 Kgs is light! In that case even the current 1.6 Litre engine will give it good performance.
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:14   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
1060 Kgs is light!
That is really light! Its infact lighter than the Swift diesel, and Palio diesel, i think.
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:50   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

We already have two hot hatches: The Getz diesel and the Palio 1.6. Have you test-driven these already?
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

and dont forget the SRV. Its nearly there
Old 2nd June 2008, 15:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

^^Heh its hot only in terms of looks. In terms of everything else, its pretty pathetic. I was in love with that car but all dreams were shattered the moment I slotted it into first .

Of the current crop, its either the Palio 1.6 or Swift Diesel. The Getz's handling leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 2nd June 2008 at 15:11.
Old 2nd June 2008, 16:22   #12
BHPian

Checkout Palio 1.6 Sports, you will certainly like to think about waiting for the new hatches if you are not worried about rising petrol prices and the resale value of FIAT
Old 2nd June 2008, 23:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am not really in a hurry to buy a new car. I wish to wait for the GP as it seems quite promising and fresh and looks a little different than the current lot which makes it stand out. Fiat's A** is improving and by the time they launch the Linea and GP i hope it should be good by then.

The SR-V is really a stunner but no ways can be under the performance hatch category and the getz diesel is deprived of a number of features considering that you pay over 6 lakhs for it. Leaving the Palio as the only option- which is old and though the facelift was done earlier it looks a little dated to me.

What about Ford guys? The new CEO ( or GM, im not sure) in his interview somewhere did not mention about the Verve anywhere but the reason i came up with the topic was after going through this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-spy-pics.html.

Hopefully by Oct-Nov i am expecting the GP and wish it does not disappoint like the SR-V. Let's keep our fingers crossed and also wish Skoda to bring in the 1.6l engine fast as mentioned by abhinav.gupta88 in here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ega-plans.html and price the car a little lower which would definately give the GP tough competition.
Old 6th June 2008, 11:26   #14
BHPian

Palio 1.6 Gtx

I've been on the lookout of a car for a month or 2 now. I wanted to go in for an used Palio 1.6. I actually managed to find a guy selling his 2002 Gtx for 2L last week. I test drove it and somehow it didnt feel like it had a 100 horses under the hood. I had trouble hitting 100. I even down shifted once to get into the power RPM range but still felt sluggish. I find it hard to believe that the car with a reputation like the 1.6 GTX would feel like this. Not sure if it there as any problem with this particular one(the owner obviously told me that the car was in brilliant condition and hadn't had any engine problems ever).
Old 10th June 2008, 19:18   #15
BHPian

IF you are looking for some serious perfomance coupled with practicality nothing comes close to a getz crdi + petes.

Most Viewed