Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:09   #1

Alto or Santro or something else for a new driver

Hi Auto Gurus
Greetings to you all. After reading through the threads for nearly a year now, its time for my first post
I am looking to buy my first car. I live in Chennai and I do not have previous driving experience. In Chennai after looking at the traffic I decided to go for a small car first then get a sedan after a year or so. I initially thought of getting an Alto new. But during testing the car I realized it was too cramped and even after pushing the seat to the max My legs were hitting the steering column while getting in or out.
My next option was to go for a second hand Santro Zing as the space was Ok. I visited TVS used cars at Arcot road and found a Zing 2007 March registered that has 15.5 K kliks. The price quoted was 3.25 lacs. Pearl white GLS that was also sporting a big scrach on the left door. Has a CD player with 2 speakers.
I also visited Tata motors dealer and checked on the palio. It was a solid car but around 4 lacs. Was not much impressed with Xeta which was around 3.6 lac – 25K discount.
I will be paying cash, I need your suggestions on this… Is it a good deal or Do I have other options.
Thanks in advance and Have a Great Day
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:27   #2
Team-BHP Support

Well you want a car which you can throw around, learn driving around, and abuse.
Indica is the best for that purpose.
The clutch, the gears etc., are very hardy and can go through lots of abuse, and repair is cheap.
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:48   #3

Thanks tsk for the quick reply. I liked the space / comfort in the zeta. But my wife and son vitoed it. So I have not much to say on it :(
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukundsb View Post
Hi Auto Gurus
Greetings to you all. After reading through the threads for nearly a year now, its time for my first post
Welcome to this forum, dude. Well, if reading threads for the past one year did not confuse you enough, be prepared to end up more confused than you currently are in the next few days.
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

VN is the man!

I say the spark. PS, easy ownership, long warranty, no niggles.
For a newbie, more niggles means more trips for repair - more chances to change something stupidly!
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you just want a car to learn driving in, go in for a second hand Santro and abuse it for one year before you upgrade to a Sedan.
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:32   #7
Team-BHP Support

Agree with the second hand Santro Idea. However make it a second hand Getz. More comfortable and lots of space, and very very reliable.
Moreover you can pick up used Getz at a sweet price.
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
be prepared to end up more confused than you currently are in the next few days.
You are spot on
The way spark and Getz added into the fray....

tsk1979: I could not spot a GetZ in the 3 used car places I visited. Any idea on the price? Considering GLS 1.1 june 2nd price is 4.7 Lacs OTR

phamilyman: I liked Spark But all the discussion on the resale after a year or two is pushing me away.

So you people think the 3.2 Lac quoted by TVS is an OK deal? with 3 free labour service and 1 yr warranty on engine and gear box.
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:57   #9
BHPian

You can go for used Wagon R, as the leg space will be ample, which is your concern, and it is a time tested vehicle with no problems. Though the price could be a bit higher than compartive vehicles like Santro, Getz, Xeta etc. Learn driving over it, and then move to your next choice.
Old 3rd June 2008, 18:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

The Santro is definitely the car to buy to learn the ropes on. Its comfortable, and easy to drive/park.

IMO 3.2 Lacs for the 2007 Xing seems on the higher side. What model is it ?

Compare the new Santro prices with the 2007 Xing and then decide.

Edit: From Carwale.com a new santro xing GL costs Rs.3,58,948/- and GLS is Rs.3,82,718/- onroad in chennai. If you are paying cash, you can easily get a good music system as a dealer giveaway.

Last edited by smsrini : 3rd June 2008 at 18:17.
Old 3rd June 2008, 18:14   #11
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukundsb View Post
You are spot on
So you people think the 3.2 Lac quoted by TVS is an OK deal? with 3 free labour service and 1 yr warranty on engine and gear box.
Looks good. But get the car checked by an expert (e.g. an engineer or an experienced mechanic). There could be many issues with used cars. E.g. these people will able to tell you whether the car has genuinely run only 15500 kms or whether the speedo has been tampered with. And whether the car has had any major accidents. They will make many other checks on the engine, gearbox, suspension, corrosion levels, braking, ac, etc. etc. In short you can get your money's worth even if you have to pay a small fee to get the car checked by an expert.

Edit: One thing you can do yourself is to check the condition of the tyres/wheels. Do the tyres have a substantial amount of tread left, considering the car has done only 15500 kms. Are the rims in good shape (no bends or rusting).

Last edited by rks : 3rd June 2008 at 18:23.
Old 3rd June 2008, 18:18   #12
BHPian

Well you can get a used santro or getz (in case you get one) and abuse it to almost core for one year . Then you can get yourself a sedan . And as smsrini said check which variant the 2007 Xing which you saw is ?? If it is near topend XO or topend XS then i think it might be near VFM (Value for Money) . Anyways do keep us informed and post pics of your ride after you buy it .

Cheers
ALL THE BEST
Old 4th June 2008, 11:33   #13

Thanks for the info and suggestions people

Srini: The price I got from Hyundai Motor Plaza on 2nd june was Santro GL - 3.68 (3.72 for Metalic), For GLS - 3.93 and 3.97 (Metalic) This excludes extended warranty (1975 Rs)

kaush666: It is XL. Check the image.

rks: Thanks . The tyres looked almost new. I will take a friend and a mechanic to check.

Thanks again every one.
Old 4th June 2008, 15:26   #14
BANNED

mukundsb, please take an extended drive of the Santro before buying, if possible. The accelerator pedal is placed awkwardly (for me). Please ensure your right ankle doesn't hurt after, say, 20 minutes or so. Apart from this, the Santro would be ideal.
Old 4th June 2008, 19:44   #15
LLL
BHPian

I will suggest going in for a brand new santro. its peppy and easy to drive and learn. You are planning to sell it in 1 year, but i would suggest you wait out 2-3 years else you are going to take a big hit in depreciation/resale value.

I wont suggest a used one as its costly, resale will be a bigger hassle (who wants to be a 3rd owner) and this used car is quite new Why did the first owner sell a car under 15k kms and after 1 year? Also, there isnt much difference between this used car and new car price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks