Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2008, 19:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

My dilemma!

I own a Palio 1.2 ELX NV which I bought in Jan 2004. It has now completed 4.5 years. I do not have any problems with my car and the car is doing good. In a few months' time, I am planning buy a car with a budget of around 8-9l. I am planning a diesel car this time, more so because I was really impressed with the good low end torque a diesel car can offer. I experienced this when I test drove the DZire diesel a few months back. I do not care about the mathematics involved in maintaining a diesel car as compared to a petrol car. I am not worried about whether it is really worth buying a diesel car when the mileage I put in per month is less. When I buy one, I can always travel the required mileage to justify my purchase . But the question I really have in mind is not about my next purchase.

Now, since my wife has other ideas and commitments, she needs a car to drive within city limits. I have the following options for my wife:

1. Buy a used car which she can find easy to putter around in Bangalore. For that, I need to sell my present car. Both I and my wife like this car very much and selling this is really difficult for me. I remember that I literally cried when I sold my Kinetic Honda, though I never liked that vehicle.

2. Ask her to use my car and I can use my bike in the interim. But, she has not driven much. I am not too sure whether she will be comfortable driving the Palio in city. The legendary turning radius of this vehicle is quite a bother for me too, not to speak of her.

3. Buy her a two wheeler. Sell my car when I am ready to purchase my next car. But, she is not confident of driving two wheelers at all. So, for all practical purposes, I need to cancel this options off, unless she decides to change her mind on this.

Basically, I am left with options 1 and 2. Option 1 has its own challenges; first and the foremost being the resale value of Palio. What car can I afford if I decide to sell Palio? I do not have any idea about used car market and I dread the possibility of getting stuck with a lemon after selling a perfectly wonderful car. I tried checking around for a Maruti 800/Alto and they seem to be pretty expensive, even at normal used car dealers.

I am leaning more towards option 2. Again, option 2 also has its own challenges. Palio's repairs, as and when they start manifesting, will cost me a bomb. Of course, I have done only about 28k kms in 4.5 years, which is nothing. But, I can always expect some issues as and when the car starts ageing more. Again, if I decide to sell it at a later point of time, the resale value will be pretty low, for sure.

What according to you would be my best course of action?

EDIT: I just realized that there is one more option:

Buy a used car for about 75-80k for my wife. Keep that one for about two years and sell it. Keep my car until I decide about my new car and sell it then. But, what will I get in that range? Any pointers are welcome.

Last edited by deepakhon : 4th June 2008 at 19:09.
Old 4th June 2008, 19:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Deepak, your last edited option looks good!

For now, buy a 2nd hand Alto for your wife!
After 2 - 3 years, exchange your Palio for a Linea MJD!
Old 4th June 2008, 20:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post

Buy a used car for about 75-80k for my wife. Keep that one for about two years and sell it. Keep my car until I decide about my new car and sell it then. But, what will I get in that range? Any pointers are welcome.
70k 80k will get you a run down m800 or the first lot zen

i would suggest

that you get a second hand decently maintain zen ( prefer mpfi)which will cost max of 1.50lac

wait for some time and then buy a car for yourself
Old 4th June 2008, 20:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Gem

Option 4.

Your Palio is now a gem of a used car with low mileage, live with the handling niggles. Buy a Maruti Swift diesel now and the two of you will live happily ever after.
Old 4th June 2008, 20:29   #5
BHPian

I would go with Option 2, she will be able to handle the Palio once she starts driving more. You did, so I'm sure she will too.

Cheers!!!
Old 4th June 2008, 22:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Your Palio is now a gem of a used car with low mileage, live with the handling niggles. Buy a Maruti Swift diesel now and the two of you will live happily ever after.
How do you know his Palio has low mileage?
How do you he has handling niggles?

In fact, he clearly said that he is very happy with his Palio 1.2 ELX!
He just needs another car for his wife, hence the dilemma!

Pls stop marketing Maruti cars in each & every thread here, I guess MSIL is doing a good job in marketing their cars! That shoud suffice.

Note from mod. EVery member is free to give any recommendation. Personal attacks and accusations on members is strictly prohibited

Last edited by tsk1979 : 5th June 2008 at 00:36.
Old 5th June 2008, 00:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Option 4.

thanks for your suggestion, but I am at present not looking for a suggestion on my next car. I will rule out swift for my next car because of the following reasons:
1. Claustrophobic design
2. Lack of rear seat space
3. Lack of boot space.

As finney has suggested, I do not have any issues with my current car. It is just that a new requirement has arrived and I am looking for suggestions there.

Your suggestion about point 4 is taken.

Again, linea is in the list of cars to be considered next, but at present, I am not thinking about that at all.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. Your suggestions are very valuable to me.
Old 5th June 2008, 01:40   #8
BANNED

I would suggest to keep your eye open and find a good Alto in the used car market. With the slew of good finance options available these days, you would be able to pocket one without much burden.

It is a good time now to test the diesel waterfront. It's going to be out of hands soon it seems.
Old 5th June 2008, 12:00   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'd keep the Palio in the cocktail. You have no problems with the car, why even consider selling it for a lousy sum? The utility it can offer you is worth more than what it will fetch in the used car maker. Keep it till it falls apart, or starts giving you significant trouble. IMO, you can use the Palio for atleast another 3 years without issue.

You anyways plan to buy another sedan in the next handful of months. Do a little bit of adjusting with your wife, use the bike and try to prepone your diesel purchase as early as possible.
Old 5th June 2008, 12:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

In fact, I and my wife had a discussion on this for quite some time yesterday. We are leaning towards the suggestion GTO and gr8guzzler have mentioned. I have to make sure that she gets comfortable with Palio and then start using my bike. I need to bring my bike back to life. It has been lying around for more than a year without being started. Looks like I have some chore to do over the weekend.
Old 5th June 2008, 13:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan
Your Palio is now a gem of a used car with low mileage, live with the handling niggles.
IMO, the term "low mileage" here used by Dan refers to 'little used' as in number of miles done, not FE. Which is a +ve factor, not -ve.

finney, you really need to <deleted>

In your hurry to blast Dan, you missed the part where he said that it is a "gem of a used car" and also suggested to retain the car alongside the diesel.

@deepakhon, I would say that you keep the Palio for your wife. The turning radius might be an issue, but with use, she will get used to it. This seems a better option than buying a used car, which for all you know would have been abused and result in issues every now and then. Atleast with the Palio, you know the car fully.

Meanwhile use the bike till you finalise your next car.

Note from mod: Do not point fingers at other members. One warning has already been issued in this thread

Last edited by tsk1979 : 5th June 2008 at 13:33.
Old 5th June 2008, 15:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

SB, I am not sure what Dan meant my 'low mileage', atleast he should have clarified to my post if he meant mileage as kms covered, also he said about 'handling niggles' ?
No idea what he is pointing to.....!

Last edited by finneyp : 5th June 2008 at 16:01.
Old 5th June 2008, 16:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

By 'handling niggles' he must have meant the "turning radius" of the Palio, which deepakhon mentioned in his initial post, which IMO even though a pain, is not reason enough to be selling off an otherwise good car and getting a used car (whose history is not known).
Old 5th June 2008, 16:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

1. keep the palio use the bike. in 4.5 years if you have done only about 25K kms - dont sell the car. its still as good as new.
2. if your wife needs another car- go for a used 800 till she gets comfortable with driving
Quote:
...But, she has not driven much. I am not too sure whether she will be comfortable driving the Palio in city.
Once she is comfortable- go for the big car and sell the 800.

my 2cents!
Old 5th June 2008, 17:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Boss,

The palio can do much more than that. I know a friend who bought a 70k km done car (in 3 years!) couple of years back, and put some 10k more on it with just one service done. And he's a consultant, out five days a week - no maintenance, no service done. and runs well (ofc the low end torque in a palio is what it is).

Most Viewed