Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2008, 22:45   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
IMO, add the resale factor as well because you plan to keep the car for around 3 years +.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think past trends show that the VDI will fetch you at least 50k more than the equivalent VXI after 3/4 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
@hashcode- if its fun you're looking for-Swift diesel it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
vinit.merchant, if you were buying a car on down payment, then I would agree with your interest criteria, but suppose you got your car on a 5 year loan, 100% loan lets say.
Swift Petrol 507842 = 11042/month
Swift Diesel 589319 = 12814/month
So you spend 1800/month more on the EMI.
Suppose you drive 800kms/month
Diesel = 800/16 = 50 liters = 2000/month
Petrol = 800/12 = 67 liters = 3886/month

So for this kind of driving, Petrol and diesel will cost you the same.
However if you ever start taking longer trips, highway trips, the difference will be more.
Lets say our man decides to take a family vacation to Chickmanglur, a total of 800kms round trip.
At the end of the trip, he will end up saving 2000rs.
That can translate to a better hotel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
I am not justified for a diesel with running of 800 per month + some occassional trips, unless he wants to enjoy the Diesel Torque.

In that case, chuck the Palio MJD as Swift Diesel has more Torque than the Palio MJD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
strictly speaking, the difference in torque is minor.
but the way its delivered, the gear ratios and the power sapping hydraulic steering, all add up to make the palio feel slower(and it is- by 2 secs IIRC)
however,I doubt if it translates into a big difference in real world driving conditions.

let me play devil's advocate by saying, even though, I know that the difference in performance is going to be minor, the Swift is defintely more fun to drive(for me atleast)
Thanks a lot for all your responses folks. I am still sticking by my original plan of getting a diesel vehicle only. After going through your comments, i am thinking of taking a second test drive of both the diesels this wkend to come to a final conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
If you like Swift Diesel and considering Palio for long waiting period of Swift then talk to Jagdish Shenoy, GM of RNS motors Hosur road. You can get it within 2 months.
Tell him that Mr Deepak from regional office has referred you.
I really appreciate this help djay. All that remains now is to TD them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Nice point there. But I guess the real difference between the Petrol and Diesel for someone who doesnt have a car is obviously the waiting period. What is the typical waiting period for a Swift Zxi ?

Though I guess we are OT-ing here
I think it is around 20 days in Bangalore Fountainheader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
If your driving is pretty much confined to Bangalore city, then I would suggest you to go for the Swift D. If you are planning to drive your car on highways (meaning less city runs) and on bad roads frequently, then Palio D can be considered. Do think about the high turning radius of Palio when driving in tight city traffic - it does make a difference. Swift is a breeze to drive in good and decent (slightly rough) roads, whatever be the volume of traffic is and however high the number of u-turns you take are.
I would say my driving would be mostly 70:30 (city:highway). Swift has a turning radius of 4.7m while Palio has a turning radius of 5.1m. Would this make a huge difference or can i overlook it?
Old 11th June 2008, 11:42   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashcode View Post
I would say my driving would be mostly 70:30 (city:highway). Swift has a turning radius of 4.7m while Palio has a turning radius of 5.1m. Would this make a huge difference or can i overlook it?
Many people I know simply hate the huge turning radius of the palio. U turns and three point parking turns are a big pain.
Apart from that both vehicles will make you happy, there is actually not much to choose.
However the Tata A.S.S. experience(which you will go through when you get a FIAT) may leave a sour taste in your mouth.
You may have to spend 3-4 days without your vehicle if any non common part fails.
Old 11th June 2008, 19:27   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Many people I know simply hate the huge turning radius of the palio. U turns and three point parking turns are a big pain.
Apart from that both vehicles will make you happy, there is actually not much to choose.
However the Tata A.S.S. experience(which you will go through when you get a FIAT) may leave a sour taste in your mouth.
You may have to spend 3-4 days without your vehicle if any non common part fails.
Exactly TSK! I owned Fiat Siena before Swift D. Siena has the same turning radius as Palio and believe me, that extra 0.4 m does make a lot of difference compared to Swift in tight bangalore traffic. And the long nose of Palio is also little problematic to drive in city, but yes - you can get used to this thing.

Last but not the least, the reason for me to move from Siena to Swift was purely due to the pathetic after sales service I received from different Tata/Fiat service centers at Bangalore.
Old 20th June 2008, 08:55   #34
BHPian

Hashcode,
Have you booked your car ? All the best, whatever decision, enjoy your car to its fullest.
Old 25th June 2008, 16:19   #35
BHPian

hashcode - what's the update?

If I were you, I would go for a decent 2nd hand car and then wait for the GP.
Infact that's exactly what I have done currently.
Old 29th June 2008, 09:30   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prasidhi View Post
Hashcode,
Have you booked your car ? All the best, whatever decision, enjoy your car to its fullest.
I am sorry I couldn't update this thread earlier. I have made a decision to go in for the Palio MJD finally. Will be booking it this week. Will keep you guys posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gods-envy View Post
hashcode - what's the update?

If I were you, I would go for a decent 2nd hand car and then wait for the GP.
Infact that's exactly what I have done currently.
Though you have a valid point, I don't want to go through the hassles of finding a decent used car right now. So a new one it's gonna be
Old 29th June 2008, 14:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Hashcode on your choice of Palio MJD!

What color are you going for?
Old 29th June 2008, 22:08   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Congrats Hashcode on your choice of Palio MJD!

What color are you going for?
Thanks finneyp. I have seen 2 colors on road - black in MJD and formula red in 1.6 sport (which looks awesome but unfortunately not available in diesel). I am yet to look at furnace red and depending on that it will either be a furnace red or a black.
Old 3rd July 2008, 10:27   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks finneyp. I have seen 2 colors on road - black in MJD and formula red in 1.6 sport (which looks awesome but unfortunately not available in diesel). I am yet to look at furnace red and depending on that it will either be a furnace red or a black.
Can you let us know on waiting period for Palio MJD(different variants / colours) when you do find out?
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:20   #40
BHPian

Quote:
I am yet to look at furnace red and depending on that it will either be a furnace red or a black.
If the furnace red is the same that I have seen on the MJD (I think, or was it a 1.1?) it looks pretty neat. It is a dark deep metallic red almost like wine-red! In real life it looks darker than this: Fiat India :: Showroom : Palio Stile Multijet

I'd suggest go for the red (I would, if I were you Blacks are way too common!

Cheers,

Glifford.
Old 3rd July 2008, 13:40   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan0677 View Post
Can you let us know on waiting period for Palio MJD(different variants / colours) when you do find out?
The guy at the showroom told me that he can get me a black in 10 days while a red might take 4-6 weeks :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
If the furnace red is the same that I have seen on the MJD (I think, or was it a 1.1?) it looks pretty neat. It is a dark deep metallic red almost like wine-red! In real life it looks darker than this: Fiat India :: Showroom : Palio Stile Multijet

I'd suggest go for the red (I would, if I were you Blacks are way too common!

Cheers,

Glifford.
I think the furnace red in real life looks more like wine red than what it looks like in brochures and in the FIAT site. I would have preferred the one shown in the site though.

I am anyway not taking a black as I feel it accentuates scratches and dents and the car might get heated up pretty quickly also.
Old 3rd July 2008, 16:29   #42
BHPian

Quote:
The guy at the showroom told me that he can get me a black in 10 days while a red might take 4-6 weeks :(
You'll have to live with it!

Reminds me of the days I waited for my "Silky" Red Pulsar back in July 2003. They didn't have stock and I refused to have an assembled red bike (they would switch coloured parts between the 150 and 180 and offer you the one you wanted). I wanted one factory assembled as is! Waited and waited. It was then I heared of the DTS-i launch. Told them to hold the booking for a couple of months (said I was travelling abroad) and waited 3 more months for the first lot of the DTS-is! This was after I had made the downpayment and also given all 12 EMI cheques!

It was worth the wait nevertheless!

Quote:
I think the furnace red in real life looks more like wine red than what it looks like in brochures and in the FIAT site. I would have preferred the one shown in the site though.
Very true! But you are in Bangalore, you'll definitely get to see them once in a while (atleast on the roads). I see one MJD everyday and atleast a couple of Stiles!

Quote:
I am anyway not taking a black as I feel it accentuates scratches and dents and the car might get heated up pretty quickly also.
Good decision. Ofcourse it does look very neat, but it also shows dust and dirt collected the fastest!

Cheers,

Glifford.
Old 3rd July 2008, 19:57   #43

Quote:
You'll have to live with it!

Reminds me of the days I waited for my "Silky" Red Pulsar back in July 2003. They didn't have stock and I refused to have an assembled red bike (they would switch coloured parts between the 150 and 180 and offer you the one you wanted). I wanted one factory assembled as is! Waited and waited. It was then I heared of the DTS-i launch. Told them to hold the booking for a couple of months (said I was travelling abroad) and waited 3 more months for the first lot of the DTS-is! This was after I had made the downpayment and also given all 12 EMI cheques!
Jeez!
You went through all that to get the color of your choice? I am sure it would have been worth the wait nevertheless.

Quote:
Very true! But you are in Bangalore, you'll definitely get to see them once in a while (atleast on the roads). I see one MJD everyday and atleast a couple of Stiles!
Good decision. Ofcourse it does look very neat, but it also shows dust and dirt collected the fastest!
Cheers,
Glifford.
I am somehow not able to find the furnace red on road here. I have caught black and the 1.6 Sport Formula Red but not this one.
Probably i am looking at the wrong places
Old 6th July 2008, 13:34   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prasidhi View Post
My piece of advice would be, if you are going for ownership period of around 3 years and 600-700 kms per month, definitely a petrol car would be economical rather than a diesel car.

Assuming the difference between petrol and diesel is around 1 lakhs, it will take around 9 years to recover the addl investment.

Just for example took the onroad price of swift from one of the website and price of petrol and diesel in Mumbai from IOC website and compared in your case.

If you are looking for a longer period and a longer kms per annum, things would certainly be different.
Actually, there is one basic flaw in your calculation, ie. the Petrol Swift returns about 2/3rds of the mileage the diesel swift does. 12 vs. 18 under similar conditions.

In any case, it would take about 5.5 yrs to save a lakh with the diesel swift over the petrol swift with an avg. running of 700 km per month.
Old 11th July 2008, 00:25   #45

Hi guys first post....been lurking on this forum reading and am deciding on the Palio MJD .now to convince my dad ...he feels the swift on pure numbers will have better ***. Also on the resale value but i dont think i can sell my first car.

Any of you fiat lovers feel there might be a problem with *** .?

Also do any of u feel its worth waiting for a new diesel hatch for around 5.5 ?

thanks

Most Viewed