Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2008, 19:16   #1
BANNED

What hatch?

hi friends
i am planning to get a new car from past 3-4 months but my plans got failed as i am unable to decide which car to buy . as i am a student so i want a car which is low at maintainance and fuel cost . but i am unable to decide which car to buy. first i decided for a honda city but i dropped the idea as it is petrol and i had a budget of 2.5 lacs. in that budget i can get a honda city which is 7-8 years old ,which is not a good decision as the car would have become to an end of its life .After that i decided for lancer and dropped idea due to same reason plus high cost of spares.Than i decided for a safari which was being sold by my relatives , but they also warned me that it would be costlier to maintain for a college student along with other expenses. so finally my friends i have made my mind for a zen diesel , the new model with clear lens headlamps.i loved zen very much but was not buying as i wanted a big car but now i have made my mind as i cannot buy a good condition big car in that much budget.
things i like about zen is its shape . it is famous among youth . it is small and a fun to handle. and finally i love the zen dashboard .

things i am worried are as it is fitted with peugot engine . is this engine capable of giving sufficient power . are the engine spares easily available.
plz help me to decide as i have holidays in college and i want to buy car in
these holidays.

i can also consider zen petrol if it is better than zen diesel. again i mention that my budget is 2.5 lacs i can extend it upto 10 to 20000. plus i have extra 50000 for alloys and ICE. plz help me decide will the suite me best if yes then which petrol or diesel. i am mainly concerned about FE and maintaince as i want that should not be heavy to my pocket as am a student. suggestion for other cars are also welcome. thanx
Old 15th June 2008, 20:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Forget the Zen Diesel - it will give you problems as the car was manufactured for a very little time + the engine spare parts availablity.

Try a 2nd Hand Esteem or Accent, and then convert it to CNG for lower running costs.

Otherwise buy a Brand new Santro Base Model at 3.2 Lacs if you can extend your budget that much. A new car will be a new car always and 2nd hand cars always give problems. Only my personal opinion

Forget the 50k that you have set aside for Alloys & ICE. Put that for the new car, and after a few months get the extra accesories.

Last edited by vkochar : 15th June 2008 at 20:01.
Old 15th June 2008, 20:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

we had a zen di and it had done 2lakh+km and gave no problem at all the spare are available very easily and i would like to mention it was as cheap as running a bajaj chetak (my driver use to say)
Old 15th June 2008, 20:16   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Forget the Zen Diesel - it will give you problems as the car was manufactured for a very little time + the engine spare parts availablity.

Try a 2nd Hand Esteem or Accent, and then convert it to CNG for lower running costs.

Otherwise buy a Brand new Santro Base Model at 3.2 Lacs if you can extend your budget that much. A new car will be a new car always and 2nd hand cars always give problems. Only my personal opinion

Forget the 50k that you have set aside for Alloys & ICE. Put that for the new car, and after a few months get the extra accesories.
dont wanna go for a santro as i dont like the looks.dont wanna lpg conversion.
Old 15th June 2008, 20:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Seeing your requirements, its a no brainer. Buy a brand new Alto LXi with power steering . Good FE, cheap to live with and service is unmatched and bullet roof reliability.
Old 15th June 2008, 20:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

I second Dippy's opinion. You will get a brand new car in that price + you can do mods on the car like new set of shoes + ICE. For more details you can contact akroy. He has an modded alto and looks super with the mods on the car.
Old 15th June 2008, 20:48   #7
BANNED

friends am inclined towards zen diesel or petrol help me decide between these.i like the simple looks of zen it looks cool with alloys and wider tyres. i dont like trendy cars .
Old 15th June 2008, 22:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry2223 View Post
friends am inclined towards zen diesel or petrol help me decide between these.i like the simple looks of zen it looks cool with alloys and wider tyres. i dont like trendy cars .
Go for petrol. It will be maintainance free. It has the proven engine and everybody knows that zen petrol engine will give better FE.

Last edited by snaronikar : 15th June 2008 at 22:15.
Old 15th June 2008, 22:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi friends
things i like about zen is its shape . it is famous among youth . it is small and a fun to handle. and finally i love the zen dashboard ....

plus i have extra 50000 for alloys and ICE......

i like the simple looks of zen it looks cool with alloys and wider tyres. i dont like trendy cars . .......

dont wanna go for a santro as i dont like the looks....
50K for alloys and ICE??? You are a student. You need basic transportation from point A to point B. You need a trip to school, not an ego-trip. I do not mean to be unkind but you had better rearrange your priorities or reality is going to crack you hard. Suggest you reread Dippy's wise post.
Old 15th June 2008, 23:33   #10
Team-BHP Support

zen/alto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
Buy a brand new Alto LXi with power steering . Good FE, cheap to live with and service is unmatched and bullet roof reliability.
Quote:
Go in for the Alto or a late model petrol Zen petrol.

Leave the diesel for later when your kids're in college and ripping you off.

What'd you mean by trendy cars? The Zen and Alto both were pretty 'trendy' when they were launched.

Both are nice cars, which won't make you an eyesore, are fuel efficient, and you can fill them up with your 50k ICE and deck out with wide tyres/alloys.
Old 16th June 2008, 06:59   #11
BHPian

how about Maruti A-Star? which will be on road in October [as per information ] . Without any mod it looks very sexy to me.
Old 16th June 2008, 07:59   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman View Post
how about Maruti A-Star? which will be on road in October [as per information ] . Without any mod it looks very sexy to me.
whats maruti A-star . friends i like the simple looks of the new zen which was launched before zen estilo. zen is spacious . i dont like as i find it even less spacious than m800 also. though alto has a chilling ac. but i want zen as it has 1000cc engine giving more power than alto and also looks good to me. so plz help me to decide between zen petrol and diesel.

@dirtydan i need car not only for the mean of transportation but for show off also . so going for alloys and ICE.

@aah78 by trendy cars i mean those flashy cars having new designed body like santro ,alto , wagon r etc
Old 16th June 2008, 08:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Ok. I understand that you have decided for Zen. Now the question is Petrol or Diesel. Right? Go for Petrol. Yes, Diesel is light on pocket for every fill, but Petrol is peace of mind and powerful.
I had a Petrol Zen.
Old 16th June 2008, 09:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

i have owned a zen D and currently i have a zen P and alto and from the above mention car i would choose Zen any day its way better in term of driving pleasure

and if you can get a alto vx1.1L consider it also a very good car to drive
Old 16th June 2008, 10:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Go for a Zen Petrol ( 2006 Model ) if you are inclined towards a Zen only. You should get one for 2 Lacs or so if you look hard. Quite a good & Reliable car it is

Zen Diesel - I am not sure you will find any in the market as very few were sold in the first place.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks