Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakharamcool View Post
i have seen honda city old , getz , santro , esteem , mahindra logan , palio , siena , accent , alto , maruti 800 , ..
of these only the Hyundai Santro feels most comfortable and well planted on the road and driveable , so obviously its my first choice ..
Thank you all , hope this thread will be useful for other tall drivers like me

Hi, myself 6.4 and bro at 6.3 we drive Esteem without any problem, we are with this car for past 4yrs without any problem.

The comfort depends on your seat adjustment while driving, otherwise by this we would have changed our car without any discussion.
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

I vote for Palio...

Most og the cars you can manage but what about the person who is sitting behind you there is the problem...

I felt very comfy in Bolero & likes...Am 6.1
Old 23rd July 2008, 15:21   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Seats can be moved back and lowered or changed altogether. But, you have be careful about taking room from the back seat, you have to realize that if you lower the seat other things may not feel right, for example your knees could rise. I have had good luck just moving the seat back maybe 6 centimeters and re-anchoring it there.
Can I do more adjustments in palio 1.6 other than pushing the seat backwards ?. I tried pushing the seat backwards, but still my thighs/knees were hitting steering.
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:58   #19
BHPian

I am 6 feet 1 and am very comfortable in Palio 1.6.

I have sat in other cars and the issues are
a) MAruti 800, Alto, WagonR and Estillo - Leg space and elbow space. In some cases like WagonR and Estillo, which are tall boy designs , the leg space issue is not there but the elbow space issue is there if there is a co-passenger and you are trying to change gears.

b) Maruti Swift - Leg space - maybe a bit.

c) Hyundai Santro - Elbow space

d) Hyundia Getz - No issues

e) Chevy Aveo - No issues

f) Sedans except Maruti esteem - No issues
Old 23rd July 2008, 18:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeler_Rebeiro View Post
I have sat in other cars and the issues are
a) MAruti 800, Alto, WagonR and Estillo - Leg space and elbow space. In some cases like WagonR and Estillo, which are tall boy designs , the leg space issue is not there but the elbow space issue is there if there is a co-passenger and you are trying to change gears.
b) Hyundai Santro - Elbow space
Very true. I had missed this point on elbow space. I found the gear shift placement in the i10 very innovative and removing the elbow space problem we have in santro.
Old 23rd July 2008, 21:29   #21
BHPian

i'm a six footer,the cars that are desgined in europe generally have better leg room and are right for the tall people.personally the honda city,swift and innova are really comfortable.any car with high seats and steering adjust are very good for the tall and people like me who have a little ponch too.:-)
Old 28th July 2008, 18:29   #22
BHPian

HELP me Decide: Santro to Santro or Palio/Getz or ?

I am driving a second hand Santro, want to buy a new car. Money is not an issue, I can buy a Civic and maintain it but prefer a small car as my driving will almost always be in Bangalore.

Hardly 2 or 3 times I’ll go out of Bangalore (max 300 KMS per trip) in a year.

I drive around 30 KMS a day to and from work.. I use public transport at least once a week(my way of helping mother earth). Use AC 50% of the time and use the horn very rarely- average once a day.

I am almost 6 feet tall and feel comfortable in Santro than I10 and Swift(with the seats pushed fully back). I will sell my Santro in August and buy the new car in December.

I prefer a small car as its easy to drive around and park in Bangalore, better FE. Also it’s a small family(self, wife, 2 yr old son and mom).

I have driven bigger cars in USA/Canada and am not so fond of owning a bigger car. I am considering either a Palio or getz or even a new Santro.
Old 28th July 2008, 19:19   #23
Team-BHP Support

well getz and palio are more spacious than the santro so i think the santro can be left out of this. between the palio and the getz i find the driving position of the getz slightly better (the pedal position in the palio was a bit weird i found).

the hyundai i20 is also due to be out soon i think it should be out before december. since you can afford something upto the civic why not also look at the getz diesel and maybe the fabia.
Old 28th July 2008, 19:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Only issue I found in Getz for tall people its low seating disappoint slightly.

Please Test drive and feel yourself about it. Palio or Getz both are good practical hatchbacks.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 29th July 2008, 14:20   #25
BHPian

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Looking at lot of posts favoring Palio in this forum, I am leaning towards it, However wife prefers Getz or Chevy UVA.

Are any new release hatchbacks expected by December this year?
Old 30th July 2008, 12:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNotHorn View Post
Thanks for the info. Looking at lot of posts favoring Palio in this forum, I am leaning towards it, However wife prefers Getz or Chevy UVA.

Are any new release hatchbacks expected by December this year?
Look for the Palio only if you want the 1.6. Othewise i too suggest to stick to the Getz or the U-Va. My CHoice here woult be the U-Va. Its a superbly smooth car with loads of space fr passengers. Got a very good ride comfort also.
Old 30th July 2008, 13:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Only issue I found in Getz for tall people its low seating disappoint slightly.

Please Test drive and feel yourself about it. Palio or Getz both are good practical hatchbacks.

Regards,

Ravi.
I own a Getz Prime 1.3 GLX.

I am 6' 2" tall and the low seating position with lack of underthigh support is not comfortable for tall drivers. Its manageable with sneakers or low heel shoes.

Getz is too good in terms of comfort, space and refinement. I did not test drive Uva.

I plan to change the upholsery or seat while going for leather seats.

We had a Palio in family and the seating position for tall drivers is much better.
I did not go for Palio because of the A.S.S and the marginal quality deterioration compared to old Palios - the old ones are indeed built like a tank.

Take a test drive and see which suits you.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 30th July 2008 at 13:11.
Old 22nd April 2013, 12:55   #28
BHPian

Why's this thread dead? Tall drivers kindly share what you drive or what cars you find comfortable to sit in.Front seat and back seat.

I drive a TATA indigo and owned a Wagon R for a short period of time.Im looking for a new car this side of 10 lakhs,hence my interest in member's recommendations.

Out of petrol hatches I'm most comfortable in a Wagon R .

None of the sedans I have seen yet are comfortable in the backseat

The best small diesel hatch with most headroom is the vista D90 with the adjustable seat height in the driver's seat.its better than the manza

Tata Sumo and quanto/xylo are comfortable . Toyota liva was comfortable .

Maruti cars are a big disappointment with dashboards fouling with the legs.same with the new tata safari storme.
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:23   #29
BANNED

Re: which car for tall drivers

For space and comfort it'll be TATA cars any day
sivadeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: which car for tall drivers

The tall boys make a very good case for this requirement. Personally have been a very big fan of them and would at anytime go for one of these.

Lets take it segment wise and see which fit in as the most comfortable ride for tall drivers-

Entry hatch -

Tata Nano: Superlative space packaging for such a small car. Easily accomodates the six footers with ease.

Economy hatch-

Santro Zing: Though it has been around for a while, it is one of the favourites for its space management and driveability.

Premium hatch-

Suzuki Ritz: Not strictly a premium hatch per se but compared to the other two, it offers the additional benefit of the national diesel motor.

Sedan-

SX4: Though it is a sedan, it easily qualifies as a cross over in terms of space and ground clearence

Will stop at these as higher segments would be mostly SUVs which are mostly quite spacious and tall driver friendly
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks