Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2014, 09:38   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: which car for tall drivers

6'3" myself, and have been driving the WagonR for more than 2 Lakh kms over the last 8 years with some very regular clocking on the highways over a long distance and longer period of time.

Like many have mentioned, the sitting position in a Tall boy is more upright where you sit like how you do on a chair and essentially do not sit low.

Apart from this, I own the Ertiga since the past 8 months and have found the seating at par with a lot of tall boys with marginally better under thigh support and better/bigger cushioning for the back. The Ritz fares equally good when it comes to taller seating.

However, I have also driven the Punto and the Linea (Lower seating) over considerable highway runs and except for the lower seating, didn't have much of a problem in driving. Of course, there were times when the earlier models has very closely placed ABC pedals that made things a bit uneasy for a while but I believe the new ones have better space between the pedals (?).
My longer elbow only made things a bit uneasy when shifting gears or resting my hands on the armrest.

At the end of a 1000 kms journey, I am yet to figure out which one was less tiring. A taller sitting car will exhibit body roll (due to its tallboyish characteristics) while a lower sitting car may induce a bit of back pain but still be comfortable due to the ride and handling over curvy roads.

I am also of the opinion that for a Taller driver, you need good space around your left knee such that it doesn't rub the center console or make your sitting position a compromising one.

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th July 2014 at 09:40.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 10:22   #47
Senior - BHPian

I am 6' 2" tall.

New city: Driving leg room is good, without any effect for rear passenger. The seat height is low, which can be corrected to some extent with the seat height adjustment.

SX4: The best choice. Good seat height and under thigh support. The dead pedal makes it very comfortable.

Ritz: Tall boy, so comfortable for tall drivers. No proper dead pedal - otherwise, it would be very good.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 11:11   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
Can anyone comment on the leg space in the polo/vento for a 6 footer? Heard that the left knee is in contact with the center console. Looking to go the gt tdi/tdi route, but this would be reason for me to walk away.
Even at 5'9" I find leg space in my Polo in adequate. There is inadequate thy support as knees get drawn up, and pushing the seat back increases the distance to the gear stick Vento is a bit better with seat set a bit higher.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 13:38   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp_magnum View Post
Hi, I am 6'4" and 100kgs. Please suggest a premium hatch or a sedan (sub 10 lakh).
Main consideration is the driver leg room, rear leg space does not matter. No Tata cars please.
Would specially like to know about Amaze and Dzire. Other options also welcome.
I am upgrading from Ritz zxi

Thanks
You may want to stay away from fords. Fiesta both old(classic) and new have what they called bucket seat which is good for people with average or thin frames. Its extremely uncomfortable for heavier and wider people
Low seating cars will be a trouble in getting in and out. Do check out SX4, it fits the criteria pretty well. I have a similar frame and I have found i20 and swift's driving seat and position very comfortable

Last edited by huntrz : 18th July 2014 at 13:42.
huntrz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 15:48   #50
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I am 6'4" and 100kgs. Please suggest a premium hatch or a sedan (sub 10 lakh).
Main consideration is the driver leg room, rear leg space does not matter. No Tata cars please.

Thanks
  • Sorry, but Dzire isn't in contention here. I hate that panel which messes with my shin when I press the clutch
  • I am 6'1" and I find my friends' amaze comfortable. Give it a try
  • I think certain models of Honda City(petrol only) might fit your budget
  • My drive is a Getz(and an innova) and Getz is extremely comfortable. So I think i20 is also in contention
  • Etios/Liva are also roomy(Premium?=No way)
  • Personally, I've not been in a sunny, but do check it out
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 14:54   #51

Hi, Thanks for all the suggestions, they really helped.
I test drove i20, Dzire, Verna and ANHC, driver leg space was not an issue in any of them although Verna offered slightly more legroom than the rest.
Booked ANHC SV MT golden brown and will be getting delivery this week. Will be upgrading the tyres (XM2, 196/60-15), alloys, fog lamps and reverse sensors.
I was looking for the V variant but it had a waiting period of three months and luckily SV was available and fits my budget of 10 lacs :-) .
Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 23:03   #52
BHPian

I am 6' tall and medium built (~80kg) and found the Palio very comfortable for the 2+ years we had her. The Linea T-jet now is very adequate...except for the arm rest, which is now forever lifted up.
Have test driven the Honda City (previous version), Ford Classic, SKoda Rapid and VW Vento. No issues with height on any of these. Arm rest issues with many (cant remember specifics). I would guess other users too find this to be cumbersome.
Recently checked out the Ciaz too. Enough room for anyone, anywhere (front row or back row!).
Any tall Getz users around? Would you recommend a used Getz (its on my short list for a second car) in 2014? Or would you rather I went for the 'usual suspects' in the used market like the Wagon R/ Ritz? Am so used to the drive/feel of the Palio and Linea that the lack of feedback from lighter easier steering cars is going to take some getting used to...
Old 10th November 2014, 19:50   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
i20, Linea, Avventura, Jazz, Honda City, Tata Aria Pure (10 lakh and some stretch), Renault Duster Petrol, 85 ps diesel, Maruti Ciaz (will fail safety/collision test though), Tata Safari LX 4X2,
Old 17th January 2015, 15:50   #54
BHPian

I am using Indica Xeta since 2008 and driven around 60000 km. Need to change the car as my son wants to start driving the car but he is 6'3". Even with seat pushed back to maximum his knees get stuck under steering wheel.

My budget is around 6 lakhs, please suggest a good car. How about new Zest or should I consider used City/Civic. Car will be used sparingly and maintenance costs should be manageable.

Thanking You.
Old 17th January 2015, 15:52   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreddy View Post
I am using Indica Xeta since 2008 and driven around 60000 km. Need to change the car as my son wants to start driving the car but he is 6'3". Even with seat pushed back to maximum his knees get stuck under steering wheel.

My budget is around 6 lakhs, please suggest a good car.
How about Ritz ZXi?

Has a decent headroom plus legroom.
Old 19th January 2015, 12:40   #56
BHPian

Ritz is good for a 6'3" . I am 6' and used to drive WagonR earlier. Found it similar to WagonR , a bit better and comfortable seat.
Old 19th January 2015, 13:27   #57
BHPian

I am 6 ft and find Grand i10 to be very much comfortable. Ritz and Ertiga definitely has a very commanding view of road and very much suitable for tall drivers. If you have a very tight budget go with WagonR else settle with Ritz Zxi ( which has driver's seat height adjustment too ).

Please do test drive with a co-passenger asking him/her to sit in the back behind the driver's seat. You adjust the driver's seat as per your conveinence and comfortness and see if the co-passenger can sit comfortably behind the driver's seat. Get the feedback in terms of lower knee support, thigh support, recline angle of back seat, to see the space between the co-passenger's head and the roof, lateral support and also from the driver's seat like they do in our TBHP official reviews. As you are very tall, with the adjusted driver's seat, you also sit in back behind the driver's seat to get a clear idea.
Old 14th August 2018, 20:58   #58
BHPian

I am asking this on behalf of a friend of mine. He is looking for a car with the following requirements:

a) Must be automatic (no specific preference regarding the technology of automatic i.e. AMT, CVT etc)

b) My friend is tall (6 feet and 1 inch tall) with a heavy build. He tried sitting in Grandi10 but was not happy with the space. When he tried Ciaz, his head was very close to the roof.

c) Budget can be up to 15 lakh

So far he is thinking of buying Creta but the automatic version is costing around 16 lakh (in Mumbai). Which other cars can he consider?
Old 14th August 2018, 21:27   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post

c) Budget can be up to 15 lakh

So far he is thinking of buying Creta but the automatic version is costing around 16 lakh (in Mumbai). Which other cars can he consider?
The EcoSport seat has a good Range of movement so good for tall people though seat width is average if he is on the heavier side. Also it kind of makes the rear seat unusable and it's something to look at. Almost all the cars in that segment should be ok forg his height. He can look at the Honda City with its sweet automatic or even the Brezza AMT if he needs a diesel and is looking to save some cash. Ergonomics can be best checked only by visiting the various showrooms and getting a feel of the vehicles. He should take a test drive and see for himself.
Old 14th August 2018, 23:34   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
...a car with the following requirements:
a) Must be automatic (no specific preference regarding the technology of automatic i.e. AMT, CVT etc)

b) My friend is tall (6 feet and 1 inch tall) with a heavy build. He tried sitting in Grandi10 but was not happy with the space. When he tried Ciaz, his head was very close to the roof.
I am myself 6'2" and I am heavy (not heavy build but I have wide shoulders and my weight is in three digits )

If sedans is what he likes, Honda City Petrol is the best option. This is what I drive and it is indeed good. Verna is cramped. Even the driver's seat in Verna is not good for someone of our height and frame.

If pseudo-SUV is what he likes - A USED but more recent CRV. The best option for his requirements except for the low FE. EcoSport is good but not for the rear seat. You have not listed the rear seat space requirements. Otherwise it will be a good option. Creta is good but I feel it is overpriced for what it offers.

You have not specified the daily/weekly drive needs and hence recommending Petrol only for now. Since he has a good budget of 15L, better to pick a CVT and don't think about AMTs. He should enjoy what he pays for. Hence not recommending Ertiga as otherwise it fits the needs but will not be fun to drive.

Last edited by sunilch : 14th August 2018 at 23:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks