Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2008, 13:57   #16
BHPian

i was quoted a 2002 1.6 (<30000 km, good condition) for 2.4 lacs last year around same time. i thought it was an ok deal(maybe ~20K on the higher side, which was kinda ok with me.) But somehow didnt go ahead with it.
Old 2nd July 2008, 14:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
John, please get me a S10 - 2003 model (16K kms run) for 1.75 lacs!
Please drop in finney, anytime, in fact i will get you an UNO to go with that.
Old 3rd July 2008, 17:43   #18
BHPian

Still deciding

Thanks for your inputs guys. I have ended up more confused.

@ Vignesh and Shahnawaz, I had taken special efforts to compose my post not to reveal the identity of the car and the seller for obvious privacy reasons and to protect the seller's interests (afterall I am not the only potential buyer around) seems like it didn't work . And I do concur with you that is a nice car and that's reflected (to an extent) in my post.

Have been extremely busy this week and also maybe in the next, so haven't had time to check out more cars and compare. Also I am somewhat sceptical to visit these dealers. I'd somehow buy directly from an owner. But I guess visiting such dealers atleast gives you a fair idea of what's on offer.

I must admit that one evening I even contemplated not going the used route. You guys may kick me for (thinking "practically" and) even considering a brand new Alto or a Xeta (LPG?) for that cash outflow.

But I guess it is the eternal heart v/s mind debate in any decision. And I'd rather go thru' the debate right now, think about it and strike out options rather than regret later!
Old 4th July 2008, 09:36   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
Thanks for your inputs guys. I have ended up more confused.
Well, that's what happens in T-BHP. Who said that you would get all the answers here

Quote:
@ Vignesh and Shahnawaz, I had taken special efforts to compose my post not to reveal the identity of the car and the seller for obvious privacy reasons and to protect the seller's interests (afterall I am not the only potential buyer around) seems like it didn't work . And I do concur with you that is a nice car and that's reflected (to an extent) in my post.
It's a small world and there are not toooo many S10's going around. The Palio owners/enthusiasts know each other pretty well and are tuned into the latest happenings.

What you want to pay and at what price Abhi is willing to sell his S10 is a personal matter.As you also mention that his S10 is a beauty in all aspects and a very well maintained car.

Quote:
But I guess it is the eternal heart v/s mind debate in any decision. And I'd rather go thru' the debate right now, think about it and strike out options rather than regret later!

All of us here have gone through this road many a times. Now it's your turn. One piece of (unsolicited) advise: Listen to your heart -- if you are an auto enthusiast. leave other things for the mind to decide.
Old 4th July 2008, 10:34   #20
BHPian

Hi Glifford, Good to see u on here. Well i wud advise you to go for a Brand new car any day provided the budget is there reasons being - No/less maintenence, Warranty so peace of mind, U get a beand new machine so more resale for U . In short New is New also chk the Hyundai Getz 1.1, i got one here nice and spacious hatch the Getzy.

Ritesh
Old 5th July 2008, 11:11   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Well, that's what happens in T-BHP. Who said that you would get all the answers here
Never expected them anyway! But yeah, got a lot of info.

And then you ofcourse get threads like this for a (somewhat) similar spec car: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...x-premium.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
All of us here have gone through this road many a times. Now it's your turn. One piece of (unsolicited) advise: Listen to your heart -- if you are an auto enthusiast. leave other things for the mind to decide.
Well that's exactly what am gonna do here (as have done in the past as well). But in order to not suffer from post decision dissonance, I always make sure I have evaluated what the mind says and ruled in out in favour of heart. So no regrets later :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhokritesh View Post
Hi Glifford, Good to see u on here. Well i wud advise you to go for a Brand new car any day provided the budget is there reasons being - No/less maintenence, Warranty so peace of mind, U get a beand new machine so more resale for U . In short New is New also chk the Hyundai Getz 1.1, i got one here nice and spacious hatch the Getzy.
Hi Ritesh! So did you finally lay your hands on the P220 or you still Bulletting around? And BTW, congrats on your Prime too!

Well, regarding my decision of going in for a used car. I completely agree that new is new. There is nothing that can beat a new car smell, everything being in perfect order (Virgin if you wish). Getting a chance to run it in properly and keeping a thorough track of it from day one.

But then again, I have my reasons as mentioned in the original post. I have been off active driving ever since I left home about a decade ago. Ofcourse I have had short chances to drive in the meanwhile, but am still not as comfortable as (say) I would be on my bike. Ofcourse I am officially certified to drive (as my licence proclaims), but I'd take a few days to get comfy with the Bangalore traffic.

Speaking of Bangalore traffic, it sure is pretty unforgiving. New car or old, there are always people (with inferior controlling skills) always dashing/brushing into you. You may follow all the rules by the book and drive very sanely, but still that can't ensure your safety. Most of the dents/scratches on my bike and scooter are because of people unable to brake in time behind me. Infact some rogues have even got physical just because they thought I braked to hard to avoid someone in front.

So with a new/virgin car each scratch/dent causes a lot more pain and fixing costs a bomb. I remember the amount I spent fixing parts on my bike every time a new scratch came up (actually there's one more big expense at the next service). So while we (even wife will have to re-learn) are in the learning phase I'd settle for (lovingly) used car, rather than buy a very entry level car.

Have used both brand new and entry level vehicles in the past, but never had serious issues/expenses with used vehicles in the past. As long as it is a nicely mantained vehicle, it will run the same as your vehicle of the same age! Plus it does come with a few battle-scars (term copyright Zenx), so adding a few more would hurt less than a virgin vehicle.

Finally, I completely disagree to the point that a new vehicle offers better resale value. Rupee for rupee, a used car (in a free market economy) suffers less relative depriciation as compared to an a new car. It is simply a reducing exponential curve! The moment you roll out a new car from the showroom (in your name), it loses several thousands (sometime even a lakh) from its resale-value (if you try to sell it). But it used, the impact will be a lot lower!

This was ofcourse different in controlled economies like we had a few decades ago where the wait time for a new Bajaj was over a decade and for a Maruti was a couple of years!

And regarding the Getz, well I am not too fond of Hyundai cars. The old (1.4) Getz was ofcourse very handsome, but I found they ruined the looks in the Prime, by softening/rounding those sharp edges. But that's just me! No offences to your choice
Old 7th July 2008, 14:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally, I completely disagree to the point that a new vehicle offers better resale value. Rupee for rupee, a used car (in a free market economy) suffers less relative depriciation as compared to an a new car. It is simply a reducing exponential curve! The moment you roll out a new car from the showroom (in your name), it loses several thousands (sometime even a lakh) from its resale-value (if you try to sell it). But it used, the impact will be a lot lower!
You are right a Used car depreciates much slower than a new one.

One catch being that 2nd hand car loans have higher interest rates(if you are going for a loan) so you need to0 decide how much eventually you are paying & what is more comfortable to you

Quote:
The old (1.4) Getz was ofcourse very handsome,
The old one too was 1.3 & not 1.4 & yes I too find it better looking than the current gen
Old 7th July 2008, 15:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
You are right a Used car depreciates much slower than a new one.

One catch being that 2nd hand car loans have higher interest rates(if you are going for a loan) so you need to0 decide how much eventually you are paying & what is more comfortable to you
That is true. I just happened to inquisitively find out the rates from some ICICI bank telemarketing executives and found that the rates differ as much as 2% over the flat rates.

But I'm not planning on taking a loan (atleast now), so wouldn't apply to me. Planning on going all cash. But that makes it even more confusing! Because if I am willing to spend a decent amount upfront, I can even do that on a brand new car (lower spec) with minimal finance component!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
The old one too was 1.3 & not 1.4 & yes I too find it better looking than the current gen
Oops. I always thought the old was a 1.4 vis-a-vis the 1.3 Swift. Anyway the design was almost perfect. The way the line ran from the front headlamp right through the doors and the tail lamp (dividing it) to the centre of the hatch! The prime has lost all of that in the design revamp! Sad!
Old 8th July 2008, 00:02   #24
BHPian

If you are considering the practicality of owning an used S10, you should also be thinking about the maintainence costs of the car. Believe me Palios are expensive cars to maintain.

My 1.9D and my dads 1.2 EL have only been serviced at authorised service stations and they cost quite a fortune to maintain. These cars are extremely tough but if something breaks down then it can burn a hole through your pocket. for example to replace an alternator in the 1.9D i had to shell out 8K and had to wait for more than a month for the part. Also to 'fix' the a broken connecting rod in the wiper assembly in my dads car the service center have quoted a cost of 5.5k to replace the entire assembly as they do not repair such things. And i know for sure that the 1.6 is also in the same league!!

Having said that i think the after sales service of Fiat has been unfairly tarnished. (I do not want to start this debate here. its purely my experience) while it is not as good as maruti's, it is not bad either (at least in Mumbai). Availability of spare parts has generally been good as well.

Also a new car would give you at least 2 years of little or no maintainence expenses. But those for a used car begin almost immediately after purchase.
Old 8th July 2008, 11:19   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also to 'fix' the a broken connecting rod in the wiper assembly in my dads car the service center have quoted a cost of 5.5k to replace the entire assembly as they do not repair such things.
Holy cow! That cost only 800 odd bucks for my Honda Vtec! The alternator price, on the other hand, is not far off that of other cars.
Old 8th July 2008, 14:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
If you are considering the practicality of owning an used S10, you should also be thinking about the maintainence costs of the car. Believe me Palios are expensive cars to maintain.

Having said that i think the after sales service of Fiat has been unfairly tarnished. (I do not want to start this debate here. its purely my experience) while it is not as good as maruti's, it is not bad either (at least in Mumbai). Availability of spare parts has generally been good as well.

Also a new car would give you at least 2 years of little or no maintainence expenses. But those for a used car begin almost immediately after purchase.
Thanks Loco!

I am aware of the disadvantages of a used car and willing to live with them as of now. Esp. since I don't expect my usage to be too high as of now.

From what I have read, finding service for a Palio (both authorised and third party) is not too hard in Bangalore. There is a large Palio population here that needs upkeep. Spare prices, hmmm.. well if you have decided the brand you wanna buy, there are some negatives... and you have to live with that! As long as it is not a rude shock, you would be aware of that when taking a decision!
Old 9th July 2008, 00:41   #27
BHPian

Well then i am sure you will be delighted with a Palio 1.6. Its a lovely car. I would myself love to own one and would probably buy one if i get a irresistable offer

I would suggest that you shop around a bit (i still think 2.75 lakhs is too high). Hope you get a good deal.

why dont you consider a new 1.6?? Personally i really like the design but just absolutely hate the tri tone interiors.
Old 9th July 2008, 10:29   #28
BHPian

Hi Glifford,

There is Rs55000 discount going on for Palio 1.6 Stile...I think you should check it! Its a tempting offer for a VFM car

Cheers~
Old 9th July 2008, 20:02   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
why dont you consider a new 1.6?? Personally i really like the design but just absolutely hate the tri tone interiors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
There is Rs55000 discount going on for Palio 1.6 Stile...I think you should check it! Its a tempting offer for a VFM car
Well from what I have read, the 55,000 discount is more a notional amount based on offers you take (including exercising the finance option). Factually it is not significantly more than a discount you would get if you negotiate with the dealer.

But anyway there is nothing like getting a new car. But since am off driving for a decade odd. And want to re-begin with a used car, I would like to go for a used one. The traffic in Bangalore is unforgiving anyway! No matter how good a driver or rule follower you are!
Old 9th July 2008, 22:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Even Palio 1.6's in pristine condition should not be for more than 2L.

I got one 2002 1.6 Gtx in pristine condition for 1.60 L.

There is one more thing you can do. From REDMM540's buying experience. He bought a 2002 1.6 in a bad shape for 80K and redone it to as good as new.
If you have time and can put similar efforts, do something similar. Reason being most of the Palio 1.6's are Ripped hard by the owners and it is difficult to find on ein pristine condition.

Most Viewed