Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2008, 09:14   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
You think you can negotiate this. I think they put a minimum price of 2.50+Bid.
What bid? The dealer told me we can still ask for lower price.
Old 7th November 2008, 12:19   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humans View Post
Hi All,

I am getting Sep 2006 Ford Fusion 1.6 petrol in 2.5L. Odo reading is 30K. Would like to know your opinions on the cost, is it right or should I negotiate for less.
I think it is a good price! Much lower that what Carwale.com suggests!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humans View Post
This is in Delhi. Gut feeling is I am interested in the deal. There is no obvious visible problem to the vehicle and it looks in good shape even after 2 yrs means scratchless.

But I am little apprehensive with price and the KM on ODO. Ford I know is prohibitively expensive to maintain in terms of service and parts.

So looking for suggestions
Hey c'mon! 30K is nothing on modern cars! The engines can last several times that!
Old 10th November 2008, 19:31   #48
BHPian

Con-Fusion continues :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
BTW, I am still deciding and haven't found a right deal yet. But things are moving anyway. Hope to have some updates after the weekend. Will update here definitely!
Weekend's over, here's the update! Haven't made up my mind as yet as usual. After seeing so many Palios and Fusions, my wife prefers the Fusion on looks and space factors. So after seeing several Palios and a couple of Fusions, decided to take the Fusion as a preference.

All this while getting nightmares of Ford maintenance bills and also facts that Fusion was never a successful car (in India) kept coming up. Put them aside and stretched and upped our budget (which was intended for a used Palio) by a whopping 40%! Simply because I too liked the practicality and exclusivity that the Fusion offered. So with the Palios we saw, kept as the next/fall-back preference we..

Spotted two good Fusions and here's some surprising coincidence considering it is such a rare car:

1. Both Fusion+ (older version)
2. Both 2005
3. Both Silver in colour
4. Both done with Dealer fitted genuine + art leather seat covers.
5. and Both within 2 km of each other!

Now the differences:

1. One is in very good condition, while the other is also in a decently good condition.
2. One has interiors in Beige, the other black.
3. One has a stock stereo, the other a Sony Xplod with components.
4. One has done 42,000 odd km, the other 30,000
5. One is a Dec 2005 model, the other Aug, 2005.
6. One's tyres would need replacement soon (max 5000) another should last another 20000 atleast.

Now with an upped budget, we went with an intention to finalise the car and make a deal willing to even do a spot payment once and for all.

I preferenced the Dec 2005 car, with beige interiors and stock stereo even tho' it had run over 40% more and needed tyre replacements and insurance premium (significantly impacting my budget), because I liked the way the owner cared for the car and I was willing to pay a significant premium for that. The owner requested time to think about the offer that had already stretched the limits of my budget.

Meanwhile the owner of the lesser (tho' just 4 month older) car is keen on selling. His expectation is lower than the above car. Was planning to visit him again today, but got stuck in office till late. Will make a trip to his place tomorrow and see how much I can negotiate and close a deal at. Here tyres still have significant life and insurance renewal is still three quarters away!

Will keep you updated.
Old 9th December 2008, 01:30   #49
BHPian

So, Fusion it is!

Quote:
I preferenced the Dec 2005 car, with beige interiors and stock stereo even tho' it had run over 40% more and needed tyre replacements and insurance premium (significantly impacting my budget), because I liked the way the owner cared for the car and I was willing to pay a significant premium for that.
Did pick this one up! I guess it would be the longest resale time frame ever. Over two months after I first saw it! And seven months since I started looking!

Here are the details: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post1084594

And regarding the price I paid. I can't reveal the exact price, but I would call it around Carwale.com figures.
Old 10th December 2008, 16:33   #50
BHPian

Link to pics.

Quote:
Did pick this one up! I guess it would be the longest resale time frame ever. Over two months after I first saw it! And seven months since I started looking!

Here are the details: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post1084594
Added pics and other details here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post1087313
Old 17th December 2008, 09:59   #51
BHPian

Resale Values

Since this thread is about resale values, it is my duty to update my findings here.

Well as I mentioned here I picked up that car in the pics for 3.45 lakh. But insurance expires in 4 days and I would need to get a new set of tyres soon! So that would add to the cost.

From my experience, searching for used Palios and Fusions in the past 7 months or so, I have the following to say:

1. They are hard to find.
2. If you do find, they are not always in a good well maintained condition. Performance cars tend to get abused or modified that significantly impacts their resale value and appeal to the next buyer.
3. Most used car dealers (avoid them) would try to sell you what's on stock. That means Palio 1.2 or 1.9D ("better mileage, same comfort, why you need 1.6?") or Fiesta/Ikon instead of the Fusion.
4. Some owners tend to sell their well maintained cars for very low because they couldn't find a buyer (I missed all such deals).
5. Some owners when coming face to face with an enthusiast buyer (like me), know that the buyer is looking specifically for his model of car hence will up their asking price. (This happened with an old S10, but in bone stock condition and low mileage). So market value can take a toss.
6. Palios sell about 1 lakh cheaper than equivalent age, condition and mileage Fusions.
7. Being performance/odd box cars, most owners have serious emotional attachment to their machines. This means they can change their mind to sell easily. I feel happy when this happens even tho' I don't get the car. This happens when you can't match their emotional value in your offer, even though you are much higher than market value.

Among the Fusions I saw, both very similar. The other one was asking around the same price I paid for this one. But I had kept it as a second option and hence didn't actually go into negotiation stage. Ultimately I guess I would have paid about 10-15% premium for the one I picked. But I guess it was worth it considering the way it was maintained, even tho' I have to shell out for Insurance and Tyres.

Will update more if I recollect!
Old 16th September 2009, 12:10   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
There's an S10 for sale here in Cochin for around this below 2L above 1.5L mark .
And it's been some time but seems nobody is interested.
Oh I'm a year late.
Is that still available?

Most Viewed