Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2008, 11:06   #1
BHPian

Keep the Zen? Or replace it?

Hello Folks,
I have a 2002 Zen Vxi. it has run about 47000 kms. i have not done anything great on the car ..just maintained as it is. for the last 3 years my father is using it and i use it occassionaly.
Now i have a big confusion on what to do about it:

1) Change the tyres(not changed it till now!!!) and maybe alloys and maybe some cosmetic changes like seat covers, mp3 player(it still has cassette) etc and keep it for as long as it runs. the car is in damn good condition. Is it worth it to spend on it now ? (approx cost might be 20K-22K). I guess it should be ok for another 40K kms without much trouble ??? Am i right ?
2) Sell it and go for another one without much investment. I guess i might get about 2L for it and the least i might to shell is about 1-1.5L for an alto.
3) Sell it an go for an electric car. Reva or the new one(forgot the name) that is supposed to come.

Any advice is welcome. Quite confused actually !! (especially on point 1)

P.S:- the car will still be used by my wife/father !
Old 28th July 2008, 12:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
Hello Folks,
I have a 2002 Zen Vxi. it has run about 47000 kms. i have not done anything great on the car ..just maintained as it is. for the last 3 years my father is using it and i use it occassionaly.
Now i have a big confusion on what to do about it:

1) Change the tyres(not changed it till now!!!) and maybe alloys and maybe some cosmetic changes like seat covers, mp3 player(it still has cassette) etc and keep it for as long as it runs. the car is in damn good condition. Is it worth it to spend on it now ? (approx cost might be 20K-22K). I guess it should be ok for another 40K kms without much trouble ??? Am i right ?
2) Sell it and go for another one without much investment. I guess i might get about 2L for it and the least i might to shell is about 1-1.5L for an alto.
3) Sell it an go for an electric car. Reva or the new one(forgot the name) that is supposed to come.

Any advice is welcome. Quite confused actually !! (especially on point 1)

P.S:- the car will still be used by my wife/father !
Madhukar ! Zen VXI is a very good car and since you have been maintaining it, i suggest upgrade the tyres and to alloys only if you would like to keep the car for the next 3 to 4 years. By the make of the car and ODO reading, i think another 6 years is quite a possibility for the next 40K and going for Tyre and alloy upgrades makes sense according to your first option and also that it will mostly be used by your wife/father.

Options 2 and 3 did not appeal too much to me even though it might be used by your better half and father and to me option 1 with slight upgrades is quite a feasibility unless you would like to own a new first hand car.

Do post pics too if you can
cheers:
Old 28th July 2008, 12:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Couple of queries:

1. Till what time (No. of years) you want to keep this car?
2. Are your eally interested in buying new car?
3. If new car, then why go in for Electric cars?

It appears from your post that you are not clear on what you exactly want?
Old 28th July 2008, 12:48   #4
BHPian

. I agree on ur concern. i know i am not too sure. let me try to be clear this time.

1. Till what time (No. of years) you want to keep this car?
>>>>> If i am pursiuing this option of retainging, then I would definately want to keep it for another 3-4 years at least. actually that is the concensus we are coming to, but still there is a a little confusion !!

2. Are your eally interested in buying new car?
>>>> I am really not too keen on the new car. I can consider it only if the amount i get for zen and the amount i invest is not more than a lakh or so ! for that price there are very few options, and instead of a second hand car, i can as well keep zen itself.

3. If new car, then why go in for Electric cars?
>>>>>>> Electric car bcos of the prices.. and also i thot i can start using this car as my office will move closer. right not it is about 35 kms one way. it will become 13 kms. but still this option is a distant reality.
Old 28th July 2008, 13:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you to keep the Zen.. It's a beautiful car indeed.
Change the tyres, alloys etc.
Forget Alto n Reva...
Old 28th July 2008, 19:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Zen is better car than electric car like Reva or Alto. Upgrade it as you planned. You will feel like very happy because you own it from last 6+ years. Its damm good car I would say. I really liked old ZENS personally except its bit cramped and seating position for tall people.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 28th July 2008, 20:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

i would suggest to keep the zen
its a time less beauty i own both zen as well as a alto and i will suggest a zen
alto feels underpowered when the a/c is on

alloy you wuill get around 15-17k and a normal mp3 player for around 5-6k
Old 28th July 2008, 20:33   #8
BHPian

just two words... KEEP IT...
Old 28th July 2008, 20:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

IMO, dont sell Zen.
This is one of the best small hatches of the previous era. The Zen looks beatiful even today. It has got a heart that can bring a smile on the drivers face.

The Zen was high quality car from Maruti. If its not showing signs of age, dont sell it. It wont cost a bomb to keep this car for 4 to 5 years.
Old 28th July 2008, 21:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Keep it. And if you want it to be a little more interesting then theres always GAME OVER
Old 28th July 2008, 21:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Guruve, just forget everything and keep the ZEN and get the required modifications needed to it, that's a one good car which cannot be replaced.

The Alto and Reva are no where near to this car and if it has done only 47K it can still run more than another 50-60K without any major problems.

Enjoy your ride........
Old 28th July 2008, 22:05   #12
BHPian

HeY i Agree with all BHPIANS.....also my ZEN is 5 years old & completed only 10500kms on Odometer reading till date....& still I am very happy with it,especially when it comes to handling it has THE BEST HANDLING in its class & stands apart.Although My ZEN is still in stock condition
Old 29th July 2008, 11:01   #13
BHPian

Folks,
Thanks a lot for your comments. i will just quote a saying in kannada(english translation in brackets)
"Rogi bayasidhu halluanna vaidyaru hellidhu halluanna"
(the patient longed for rice with milk and doctor prescribed the same)

will start on the slight modificiations later in august/sept.
1) change tyres(about 9K)
2) seat covers(about 5K)
3) mp3 player(some not so expensive ones) (about 3K)
4) budget permitting alloys.(about 8K i guess)

thanks.
Old 29th July 2008, 11:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
Folks,
Thanks a lot for your comments. i will just quote a saying in kannada(english translation in brackets)
"Rogi bayasidhu halluanna vaidyaru hellidhu halluanna"
(the patient longed for rice with milk and doctor prescribed the same)

will start on the slight modificiations later in august/sept.
1) change tyres(about 9K)
2) seat covers(about 5K)
3) mp3 player(some not so expensive ones) (about 3K)
4) budget permitting alloys.(about 8K i guess)

thanks.
Hmmmmm, so now I can know where you are using some part of your bonus scheduled in Aug .
Happy hunting for all these stuff.
For MP3 players, you can look into TBHP market place, you may get a decent MP3 player in your budget because I can see a lot many people going for a ICE upgrades.

cheers
Bhishma
Old 29th July 2008, 12:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
Hmmmmm, so now I can know where you are using some part of your bonus scheduled in Aug .
Happy hunting for all these stuff.
For MP3 players, you can look into TBHP market place, you may get a decent MP3 player in your budget because I can see a lot many people going for a ICE upgrades.

cheers
Bhishma
bhishma, there one more big money puller than these things. THE HOUSE LOAN !!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks