Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2008, 13:40   #1
BHPian

MJD versus Kappa

After extensive research and test driving, I have narrowed my choice of next car to the following:
  1. Fiat Palio MJD SDX
  2. Hyundai i10 'Kappa' 1.2 ASTA
My heart lies with Swift/Dzire but I cannot agree with the crazy waiting period. If I get a good deal on a used Swift (of < 2 years) I might consider it.

I have tested both the cars and put up the reports in this forum - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/918232-post1.html and http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/915546-post84.html

Factors for Palio (vis a vis i10):
  1. Superior Fuel Economy
  2. Space and Comfort in front and back seats
  3. Ride quality on bad roads
  4. Better torque to handle city traffic
  5. Exterior looks (subjective, tho)
  6. Bigger boot
Factors for i10 1.2 (vis a vis Palio)
  1. Very attractive interiors
  2. Good exteriors (subjective, tho)
  3. ABS and Air bags
  4. Integrated stereo, Keyless entry
  5. Better gear shift.
  6. Better resale value, as on today
Both are priced around 5.5L on road.

Come up with the pros and cons guys!
Old 28th July 2008, 14:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai A.S.S is a big positive as compared to Fiat for now.
Old 28th July 2008, 14:56   #3
BHPian

@CNTRL+ALT+DEL

So you would prefer a well done up 1BHK instead of a moderately done up 2BHK ... I know the analogy is not correct.
You are comparing a larger car, a DEISEL with a smaller car and a petrol.
If a i10 Diesel were to be out, it would be 50K costlier. Take that money and do a "CUSTOM" upgrade to your Palio (leathers et all).
Alternately, wait for a while and when you have savings running deisel over petrol, take the savings and do the mods.
To make a long story short - choose build over interiors which can always be updated.
Old 28th July 2008, 15:18   #4
BHPian

And I think the Palio looks much better than the i10.
But best ask your wife
Old 28th July 2008, 17:12   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you really don't need diesel economy, its the i10 Kappa all the way. This car is amongst the best hatchbacks on sale in the country today, and has a level of fit, finish, refinement and build that is amongst the best in that segment. The Kappa will be better to drive, to own and you will get far superior after sales too.
Old 28th July 2008, 17:27   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Palio's interiors have started to look too dated for today,if you dont drive too much go in for i10 kappa,how about a automatic?
Old 28th July 2008, 20:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Diesel will hold its value better than palio petrol has done. so dont worry:
SUVs and Trucks Plunge in Trade-In Value is your guide
Old 28th July 2008, 20:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

First of all, you are comparing a diesel vehicle with a petrol, though both the hearts are good, the diesel gains more points here.

As a car, Palio is the best built hatch ever to hit India ( the other is Fabia ). It has got almost everything a car in this category is supposed to have. Moreover, with an excellent diesel, the running cost will be down.
But Palio loses out to i10 1.2 for the reasons:

1)
Hyundai has far wider dealer network and A.S & S. quality is much better.

2)
The Fiat-Tata deal has not improved the A.S & S. quality and the general quality of service from a Tata-Fiat service center is that good.

3)
In this modern era, one cannot afford to ignore ABS. They are necessacity and not luxury. Its better to spend more on fuel in a car than to go in for a car without ABS.

So, IMO, i10 1.2 wins the race here.

However,
Positives of i10 1.2.

a) Quite good build and fit and finish above the present generation of small cars.
b) Hyundia A.S & S.
c) ABS available, and this finally seals the deal.

Positives of Palio MJD:

a) Quite simply the best built hatch in India.
b) An excellent diesel motor.
c) Built-to-last feel even some C/C+ segment cars cant deliver.

Negatives of i10 1.2:

a) Overpriced by small car standards.
b) Feels not as good built as Palio.
c) Could be more spacious.

Negatives of Palio MJD:

a) ABS not available. In the first innings when Palio entered India, this feature was available, but now its absent.
b) A.S & S. is bad when compared with Hyundai.

i10 1.2 wins.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 28th July 2008 at 20:32.
Old 28th July 2008, 22:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Kappa! But its quite a tough decision since its a petrol vs diesel. It would be easier if you give us your monthly usage. i10 is being selling like hot cakes so i would suggest you to go with that if you ok with a petrol.

P.S. : Why not wait for i10 CRDI. I guess Jan- Feb Launch . i.e. if you need a diesel
Old 28th July 2008, 22:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Man you are comparing a full sized hatchback havgin a powerful & economical diesel engine with a small hatchback with petrol engine. This comparison is not fair becuase both cars are in different league.

Ideally a person narrowing down on the MJD should not be seeing the i10 as an alternative option, nor the other way around as well.

A comparison between the i20 and the MJD makes more sense though.
Old 28th July 2008, 22:57   #11
BHPian

Simply go for the Kappa...

It will be the better buy in the long run.
Old 29th July 2008, 07:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Another spanner in the words. Aveo UVA MJD is testing. It will surely negate any criticism of A.S.S that junta have.

All manufacturers are testing/working on small (read 1.1 level CRDis) which should hit the market in 2009. So it all depends on what you want

PS: So many posts, still no mention of how many km you'd wanna run! Though your Indica ran alot of decent miles!!
PPS: Why not the Fabia?
Old 29th July 2008, 10:56   #13
BHPian

The main question is on diesel economy. Do you need it? If you are doing more than 1500 kms per month, then may be, yes. Palio MJD should be the easy choice. Resale should not be an issue for diesel vehicles.
Otherwise, the choice gets interesting. Choose your pick on what of the factors below are most important to you:
a) Space - Palio
b) Interiors - i10
c) Drive/Handling - Palio
d) A.S.S - i10
Another way of looking at it is to see whether you consider any of the factors as "showstoppers". i10 has no obvious showstoppers. For Palio, A.S.S may be the showstopper. Hence, pls do talk to other Palio users in your area for better clarity.
Old 31st July 2008, 10:11   #14
BHPian

thanks for all the responses, guys! and i apologize for the late reply - got caught up in some urgent work last 2 days.

firstly let me explain why i compared Diesel MJD SDX and a smaller Petrol i10 ASTA. They are both priced around 5.51L on road and the EMIs are also almost same. I would drive the same distance on an average on either of them. the only difference would be in the money spent on fuel every month. this is where I saw the advantage of MJD over i10.

I drive only 1000-1100 kms a month, but since both the cars cost me the same I dont see how a petrol car would benefit me more. In case i10 Asta was costing about 50K lower than MJD it would have been a no brainer to choose it.

Though a final decision has not yet been made, I am leaning towards MJD. My wife is pretty much impressed by the features of MJD too, tho she seems smitten by the interiors and the gear box of Kappa.

I dont see A_S_S as an issue because I am quiet happy with Tata A_S_S since last five years (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/915677-post1.html).

The only issue I see in front of me is the diesel situation in hyderabad. these days most petrol pumps have no stock of diesel and where it is available there are long queues. Though the pump-wallahs say its a short term problem, I wonder how long this will last.

I hope to take a firm decision soon by the time I sell my Indica!
Old 31st July 2008, 12:00   #15
BHPian

Are you saying that the i10 costs 5.5L on-road. I find it ridiculous! If I remember correctly some version of the 1.3 Getz comes for about 5.6L on-road! Not sure why would you want to go for the small Santro sized i10 when Getz is available for the same cost!

Maybe you should consider the Getz / MJD.

Note: The MJD makes great sense as a family car only if you intend to keep it for about 5 years.

You should tilt towards the diesel just for its driving pleasure alone. The economy is an added bonus.

Most Viewed