Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2008, 11:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

1. The Swift Diesel is a good car. But I'd also TD the Getz CRDi, just to be sure.

2. I think you should go for ABS. Especially since you don't mind waiting. Swift Diesel with ABS has a very long waiting period (4-5 months here in Kochi. Should be a bit longer there).

As pointed out by others, the ABS doesn't actually improve the brakes. It just helps you brake more safely (without skidding) in panic-braking situations and on wet roads. It doesn't always reduce braking distance (an expert driver maybe able to modulate the brakes and get a smoewhat shorter braking distance). I've been using a Swift ZXi (petrol) with ABS and I find it to be very useful in terms of peace of mind. 20K extra is nothing if you consider the time and money you will have to spend even for a minor accident that could have been avoided with ABS.

3. DUH! I'm not very much in touch.

4. I doubt if there will ever be any offer made for a Swift Diesel (at least for the next year or so). The car sells without any offers and at a premium at times (Maruti just can't keep up with demand), so I doubt if they will make offers on the car at any time. I'd say you should buy the car when you want it, rather than wait for offers. Especially with them raising the prices every so often.

5. As before, duh!

6. I prefer White over Black & Red, but that's just me. And frankly, with the Swift Diesel you might end up taking delivery of what color is available anyway, to get delivery faster.

7. In Kochi, the VDi & LDi have a 3-4 month wait. A lucky few do get delivery in 2 months or so if they compromise for what colour is available. The VDi with ABS has a minimum waiting period of 4 months. Shop around with dealers, and you maybe able to haggle a shorter wait. But the delivery period they commit may not always be kept.
Old 13th August 2008, 12:00   #17
BHPian

Hey every one seems to have forgotten the new Indica V3 that am sure will be launched very soon. I have seen the test car & its fit & finish is one of the best that Tatas have every come up with. Also I guess the car wil be getting the MJD from Fiat instead of the DICOR engine & knowing Tatas they are surely going to price the car very competitively.
Honestly I am also very eagerly waiting for the car to be launched. Trust Tata's will not be disappointing this time!!!
Old 13th August 2008, 13:48   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Last time I was determined to buy the Swift. I was set on the idea since the car had won respect for Suzuki in Europe.

If I could afford to change the car now, I would be more serious about Getz
Old 13th August 2008, 15:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Last time I was determined to buy the Swift. I was set on the idea since the car had won respect for Suzuki in Europe.

The grass is always greener on the other side.
Old 13th August 2008, 16:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Just one sec, isnt the ABS on swift supposed to be two channel instead of four like in SX4? That makes it not worth the wait in my mind, IMO.
Can you explain the concept of Two Channel and Four as i had never heard this before regarding abs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Comments in bold.

Have a good shopping!
Are you willing to test Getz CRDi? You can have a TD to make sure you tried all and selected your best choice

IMO Getz has got a very old and contemporary look. I would prefer a sport look like swift anyday.Though i had heard from many people on forum that Getz Crdi is a better drive than Swift Vdi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
My replies in line your message.
You could try Palio 1.3MJD while Getz 1.5 CRDi may be slightly off your budget

Can't go for Palio 1.3MJD, Its a good car but Its A.S.S is done by Tata and IMHO its really bad. Had 5 Tata cars in the family and drive a Indigo LX myself at times so i know how is the A.S.S of tata.

May be FIAT Grand Punto but it would be way off your budget

Any clue how much it will be?

black attracts heat, white has a taxi image so Red it is... you could also try the silver and gray colors

Agreed on black,Someone told me that Swift has got a paint problem in Red, when its standing under the sun the red color gets faded easily, Is this true? Also i find the Red color better which is coming in Indica than in Swift, Had Maruti made any changes to Red color, i mean has it become brighter?

look for Aura alloys which are ISI certificied and avoid imported ones;

Any particluar reason of avoiding the imported ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
My replies inline in bold.
September end. Thats when everyone tries to complete their quarter targets. If you are not superstitious, then booking during Shraadhs might get you a good deal

thanks for the tip. Nope am not at all superstitious so will try that out definitely.

[quote=hydrashok;938205]1. The Swift Diesel is a good car. But I'd also TD the Getz CRDi, just to be sure.

Quiet a few people are recommending this so will do give it a try, any idea whats the current price of Getz Crdi?

2. I think you should go for ABS. Especially since you don't mind waiting. Swift Diesel with ABS has a very long waiting period (4-5 months here in Kochi. Should be a bit longer there).

As pointed out by others, the ABS doesn't actually improve the brakes. It just helps you brake more safely (without skidding) in panic-braking situations and on wet roads. It doesn't always reduce braking distance (an expert driver maybe able to modulate the brakes and get a smoewhat shorter braking distance). I've been using a Swift ZXi (petrol) with ABS and I find it to be very useful in terms of peace of mind. 20K extra is nothing if you consider the time and money you will have to spend even for a minor accident that could have been avoided with ABS.

Point taken. I don't mind spending 20 k on it,Was just making sure if its good to have it.

4. I doubt if there will ever be any offer made for a Swift Diesel (at least for the next year or so). The car sells without any offers and at a premium at times (Maruti just can't keep up with demand), so I doubt if they will make offers on the car at any time. I'd say you should buy the car when you want it, rather than wait for offers. Especially with them raising the prices every so often.

Sigh! We had never bought any car without good discounts so guess had to try hard making an exception this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Hey every one seems to have forgotten the new Indica V3 that am sure will be launched very soon. I have seen the test car & its fit & finish is one of the best that Tatas have every come up with. Also I guess the car wil be getting the MJD from Fiat instead of the DICOR engine & knowing Tatas they are surely going to price the car very competitively.
Honestly I am also very eagerly waiting for the car to be launched. Trust Tata's will not be disappointing this time!!!
Any idea of its launch date? Though i will prefer Swift as being a Tata user am not too impressed with their product quality and specially the A.S.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
The grass is always greener on the other side.
Lol. Thats absolutely true. We always like the food in others plate better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
u could wait for the grande punto which will be much better in terms of drive and interior space and build.its gonna come in the first quarter of 2009.
dealers do give discounts during diwali and u could expect better discounts this time around because of the dipping sales.
colour of the car is really subjective but personally i luv the red colour though dark colours are tough to maintain.
plz go for ABS.
Well i can wait till Oct to get it booked as because of the waiting period i wont get before Jan so guess have to forget Punto as that will be most probably by the look of things after march itself.
Are you sure abouth the 'dipping sales' because as per logic if the car has got so much of a waiting period the sales can't be dipping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by senindra View Post
Thad E Ginathom - simple, go for the swift. It has been in the Indian market for quite a while and the owner reviews are simply fabulous (other than the rattling problem, but thats why we all love/hate Maruti).

AND YOU OWN ONE
I do agree with you. Till now not even a single Swift owner has told me not to go for it.

My replies in bold.
In addition a couple of more queries -
1. Still waiting for someone to tell me names of tried and tested dealers in Fbd,Delhi,Noida,Gurgaon.
2.-Can someone tell me when we book the car how much is the amount we need to pay upfront and do we pay the complete Downpayment when we take the delivery. I mean can anyone explain me the process because last time when we bought one its was on cash so don't know much about this.
3.- Till when can i get my wheels changed? I mean are there any specific Kms because i plan to get them changed only after a couple of days driving or is itadvisable to get changed immediately after the delivery?
Old 13th August 2008, 16:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You know what? I was thinking exactly the same thing over the last 2 days
Old 13th August 2008, 17:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Regardless of the car if ABS is an option and you can wait/afford the extra then its a no brainer... go for it! Just got back from a highway run and it can come in handy at times
Old 13th August 2008, 17:11   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

The grass is greener on the Fabia side, but the engine and the price are both wrong!
Old 13th August 2008, 17:49   #24
BHPian

I had a similar question before buying swift....
Finally i decided to go for ABS....
And i am happy with the decision to go for ABS...
Old 13th August 2008, 19:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Go with the ABS

Having ABS makes your drive easy and braking at the unknown humps makes it easier
Old 13th August 2008, 19:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
My replies in bold.
In addition a couple of more queries -
1. Still waiting for someone to tell me names of tried and tested dealers in Fbd,Delhi,Noida,Gurgaon.
2.-Can someone tell me when we book the car how much is the amount we need to pay upfront and do we pay the complete Downpayment when we take the delivery. I mean can anyone explain me the process because last time when we bought one its was on cash so don't know much about this.
3.- Till when can i get my wheels changed? I mean are there any specific Kms because i plan to get them changed only after a couple of days driving or is itadvisable to get changed immediately after the delivery?
2. You can book the car against a booking amount. Then you will be alloted a car. Then the book work will start. Once the car is ready for delivery, you will need to pay the rest of the amount (or sign in the docs and downpayment) before it goes for registration. Then, hurray, you have ur love with you
3. I would advise you to drive straight to the shop and trade-in the wheels for a better price. Infact, you can negotiate before taking the delivery by giving him the wheel details and get it done one you get the vehicle.

Hope this helps.
Old 13th August 2008, 19:58   #27
Team-BHP Support

the bible's been written.

harry10 - It's time for this thread to be closed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed