Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2005, 12:47   #1
dev
BHPian

What car for my family-Part 2 (Taken decision)

Hello Bhpians,
In my last thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4227
we discussed to decide which car.

Decision has been made.
I am going for Maruthi ZEN Di.

Color not decided. Mostly will take Red.

And now I want suggestions for Accessories. What are the accessories that will come with the Car from company? and what are the accessories needed for this car? And its prices.

I want a good Music system within a range of 12 K. Should be MP3 player.

Please I want suggestions as I am paying amount this Saturday.

Thank you guys. You people are really helpful.
Old 17th March 2005, 13:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dev,

you going for a zen ? when u have 5-6 people in the family ( in the earlier thread u have written this ) . I dont get it...why suddenly a small car like zen ??

i guess u should have gone for the indigo/marina. if not the best bet in the 2nd hand car choice should have been the qualis.

i would really love to know the reasons and factors you opted for a zen !
Old 17th March 2005, 13:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

hi dev
are you getting any discounts on it?
coz you will not get the zen di in all the 11 cities after the euro 3 norms come into place
Old 17th March 2005, 13:41   #4
dev
BHPian

I opted for Zen because, the resale value is good. I like Innova. May be after few years I want to sell my car and go for a MUV/SUV.

Marina: I did not liked engine sound and not value for money. may be comfort is there.

and coming for 5-6 people, we decided, if we want to travel for long drive, we will take a Taxi.

Hope you understood.
Old 17th March 2005, 13:46   #5
dev
BHPian

I am not getting any discounts. I am going for finance and want to the interest rate and which bank is the best.
Old 17th March 2005, 13:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

i got the point why you opted for the zen ! but just because of a resale value..going for a car thats cramped for 4 people doesnt make sense to me .

also these days cars hardly have resale value after a few years, any model any manufacturer

..the indian market is growing at a fast pace .....new models get introduced every few months by different manufacturers, leading to resale value falling steeply. thats why i think going for a better more modern car would have been better.

anyways - the decision has been made. Congratulations ...and let us know the deal u get from the dealer ....and also dont forget to post pics of ur ride when it arrives.
Old 17th March 2005, 14:16   #7
RJK
Senior - BHPian

I agree big time with NC. Just for the resale you want to invest in a car that is more than a decade old & absolutely cramped. Not to mention that its noisy & unsafe incase of an accident. The only good thing about the car is mileage. I'd not advise buying the car. & as far as resale is concerned you won't get anything for the car 2-3yrs down the line. So just to save a few thousand rupees when you sell your car, why do you want to make your life uncomfortable ! I'd instead say that you go & buy the Indica. Much more value for money since thats what you're looking out for.
Old 17th March 2005, 14:40   #8
dev
BHPian

I have an idea on Indica too. I am not getting any discount on that.
I will re-consider Bhpians advice. I wil sit and discuss about this with my family again.

But can anyone point me on what accessories will come from comapny both for TATA and Maruthi? and what accessoris I need to buy?
Old 17th March 2005, 14:56   #9

Generally dealers dont seem to be offering any kind discount on the diesel version of the Indica but on Petrol version they do have quite some good schemes.

Slightly off topic:
Talking about schemes they really are "schemes" to make them more money. None of them are actually good deals in a true sense. If you talk to the dealer he will be ready to pass on the cash discounts if you are ready to buy outright.

No car financing is good financing if you can afford to pay for it. ( Unless you are one of the investment gurus. ) Do the math carefully before you sign on the dotted line for car finance.
Old 17th March 2005, 16:12   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev
Decision has been made.
I am going for Maruthi ZEN Di.
Hey Dev,

I am surprised that you've opted for the Zen DI.

First-of-all, the zen was designed for a petrol engine and not for the heavy TUD5 diesel burner. So your front suspension and stuff will go bonkers within 6-12 months, considering the roads in bangalore.

Secondly, the ground clearance of the zen is very poor and everytime you hit the speed brakers, your bottom is likely to get scraped especially if you've driven to the outer ring road.

Finally, the zen can barely shoe-horn the heavy TUD5 engine. and the support for the engine is not good enough. The vibrations caused by the engine is huge and you'll be spending a lot on the bushes and engine assembly to keep it in place.

On the positive side, the average kmpl of the zen-d is really impressive, the gear-shift and low-end-torque is also good.. But do consider the above factors before bringing it home..

Cheers,
Manish.
Old 17th March 2005, 16:46   #11
dev
BHPian

Thanks Manish and others for your valuable suggestions.
i will take into account all these suggestions. Actaually I also thought of going for a Used car. But I am not getting a proper deal. All are expensive. Especially Diesel's.
So, my family members forced me to go for a new one.

Any suggestions on Accessories?
Old 17th March 2005, 18:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

hey Dev,
the zen chassis had been designed for a light 600cc engine.now consider what will happen if u stuff a big 1500cc tud5 into it.the handling will be gone,the vibrations are gonna kill you after sometime.and god forbid,if u ever happen to have a shunt,then the repairs will be expensive.the last i heard was that the readiaror costs 19k.

if you have not bought it,i will advise you to reconsider your decision.if its a small car that u are intersted in ,go for the indica DLX or the palio D or the Indigo D.Buy even the Sumo ,but not a zenD.

satya
Old 17th March 2005, 18:07   #13
dev
BHPian

Bhpians,
I enquired Manipal motors in BLR. They are giving 10K cash discount with Marina. And basic accessories. Looks like I can consider this deal.
Basic accessories: Sun Film, Mud flaps, Mats. I need to bargain for Seat Covers and Chasis coat/Teflon coating.
Anything else I can bargain? And what is the best Music system I should look into for a Marina?
Which I should go for? LX or LS?
Old 17th March 2005, 19:32   #14
dev
BHPian

I enquired Prerana motors. They are offering 14K cash discount and basic accessories.
If I take loan from them, they are offering free insurance.
And I got info, if I want to change to Euro3 in April, I need to spend 25K. Is that right?
Old 17th March 2005, 21:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Dev.. go for anything.. take any damn accessory... but for god's sake dont buy Zen diesel... I am nobody to tell you what to buy and what not to.. but the thing is , since you are a member of this forum (team bhp) i think its my duty to advice you the best option... so go for a tata diesel small car..

or if you are obsessed with "maruthi"(as u call it), go for a zen petrol..(it rocks as far as performance is concerned)
the rest is up to you....
Closed Thread

Most Viewed