Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2005, 22:03   #1
BHPian

Another Confused One...

Last weekend I started out looking for a replacement for our trusty '94 model M800 which incidentally was sold today (I miss her ...) . Main requiremnents ... easy to drive/park in the city , carry 5 people (4 comfortably) and give decent mileage as I have one thirsty car already. Am planning to keep the car for atleast 5 years (hopefully)
I test drove the Wagon R VXi & the Xing XS. I liked the drivability of the Wagon R but didnt care for the interiors but liked the boxy styling (I still dont know why). I liked the interiors of the Santro but didnt like the gear shift or really care for the exterior. I also felt I liked the colors of theWagon R over the available ones on the Santro.
One worrying thing about the Wagon-R was the fact that the test vehicle I drove did not have a working speedo. The sales guy who brought the car gave a weird reason that they do not register the car until 200km on the odo. I now had this bad feeling that the dealer has the speedo & odo both disconnected . Could this be done ? Could I be sold a car that was harshly test driven ...is there any way to tell ?
Started out this morning trying to get the best deal out of dealers for Maruti & Hyundai. The Maruti guys it turns out had goofed on the pricing they quoted initially and had given me Euro II instead of Euro III. After haggling with them for around an hour they were willing to give me free insurance worth around 14k , an additional 4K discount because of the company I work at and a 3k discount because I nagged them so much... nothing more. Total price 4.13 and some change !
Santro guys doesnt seem to budge an inch after much haggling . Max theywill give is free insurance (15k) Kleenair bonus 15k( actually 9k since the model they now carry .. the Euro III has a price increase of 6k). Thats it. Total on road: 4.27 and change !
After all that I test drive a Getz GLS and love the interiors, the exteriors and the gear shift .. decent AC kept us cool in the blazing hot mid day Chennai sun ! Very good leg,shoulder and head room (interior feels bigger than the Ikon). The Santro/Wagon R feels very dated compared to the Getz. Already have fallen in love with the Passion Red color. Not as many cubby holes as the tall boys but I dont like too much crap jangling about in the car anyways. One observation I had was that the car seemed a little bit sluggish with the AC on. (but again my daily drive is a Ford Ikon 1.6). Price wise this baby is head and shoulders taller than the tall boys. On road 5,30 for the GLS . Are there any offers or deals that I could use to my advantage? Please advise.
The dealer doesnt seem to budge an inch on offers on the Getz. Any haggling tips ? My questions on the Getz are 1) what is the avg mileage one gets in the city/highway ...as it seems to be a bigger/heavier car
2) any known issues so far ( I heard about the AC ..but seems fine to me)
3) ABS needed ?
4)and does it make sense to wait till May for the Swift to hope for reductions on the Getz. Maruti guys tell me the Swift may be in the 7.00 range ? Any thoughts ?
Another thing ...the dealer has one 2004 model Getz GLS that he is offering for 5.00 lakhs .... but it is in that Bright Blue color that hurts your eyes .. which both myself and my dad do not care for. Any idea what re- painting would cost ? :-)

Folks at home are acting like they want no part of the decision and anything is fine as I am the one buying the car. So any help from owners of Xings, Wagon-Rs, & Getz would be appreciated.

-Sushil
Old 19th March 2005, 22:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well you havnt actually mentioned anywhere the budget you are comfortable with. Getz is one segment ahead from Santro/wagonr.
But even if your budget was between 5-5.5, i wont recommend Getz to you. The reason being, you have already a petrol guzzler called Ikon 1.6 with you. Why not go for a car like Indigo diesel or Esteem petrol if you have that much money.. you get that extra boot as well... I am saying this because you mentioned fuel efficiency as important parameter, i dont think getz will give drastically better FE than ikon 1.6

Now if your budget is 4.2-4.3, just close your eyes and go for the japanese marvel (wagonR). I have one, and i have driven santro as well. If you are migrating from M800 (as i did).. you will feel much much better driving the wagonr than santro. The awkward positioning of pedals in Santro do hurt in long journeys. Also i found wagonR to be slightly quicker in higher revvs than Santro. And even with skinny tyres, the wagon feels stable at 80+ speeds when compared to the korean tall boy.
So if its b/w wagonR and santro , its definitly waognr.
Otherwise, Palio 1.2 nv or a Esteem/Indigo.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by DCEite : 19th March 2005 at 22:35.
Old 19th March 2005, 23:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Rule out the getz. Because all the purposes that the Getz serves, you have the Ikon for. So go for something smaller cheaper and more fuel efficient. Over the WagonR and Xing, i'd suggest the WagonR. Besides, its costing you less too!
Old 19th March 2005, 23:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

A little bit off topic, but these days my wagonr is giving me average of about 14kmpl (with HP power petrol).. that too with some harsh driving..
Old 20th March 2005, 03:57   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Well if you are happy with GETZ then go for it.
I don't know anybody who owns one but ACI claims that the mileage is around the santro mark.
If it is then it is worth a buy.
For city driving, ABS is not worth it.
Even if the swift is launched, the getz price should stay.
Infact it may even rise in april (hike in steel prices).
It is also not worth getting the car repainted as it will cause problems when selling.
Besides you will save only 5000 bucks (i think).
In the ads i have seen for the GETZ, they are offering an MP3 music system and free insurance but i guess tat is with loan.
If you want an out an out city car with average space and power and good FE then the wagonR is for you.
Old 20th March 2005, 12:53   #6
BHPian

Thanks for the replies folks . Really appreciate the thoughts. My budget is in the 4-5.5 range.

The Wagon would be my choice too ..but I am a little put off by the odo/speedo issue and also the fact that one other post I read talked about someone being given a test car as their new car.

And a correction to my earlier note ...the Getz GLS in bright blue would cost me 4.8 on road as opposed to a 2005 for 5.3 on road. Am so tempted to spring for a 2005 model just for the red color ...but again it is going to be my dad who usually will drive the car ...and he is currently driving me nuts vaccillating between the wagon-r, xing, indica, palio , getz .... today he points out a two seater Reva and says maybe we should try that. Am so close to telling him to just take an auto rickshaw when he needs to go somewhere instead of looking for a car !

Wish me luck ....

Last edited by sjcherian : 20th March 2005 at 12:56.
Old 20th March 2005, 14:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
For city driving, ABS is not worth it.
Lambo , where did this come from ??

as for sj , if you can afford the car with abs - take it . i have always been a beleiver in technology and some extra technology never did harm anyone !

as for the debate between the santro and the wagon r , well both cars are equally well/badly matched - santro has oddly placed pedals , the wagon-r has stiffer seats........the debate can go on and on.......

now that u have driven both and also the getz.. i say go for the getz...a far better car than the other 2....a more modern / safer vahicle - with FE arounf 11 kmpl .....

ur call now !
Old 20th March 2005, 15:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Lambo , where did this come from ??

as for sj , if you can afford the car with abs - take it . i have always been a beleiver in technology and some extra technology never did harm anyone !

as for the debate between the santro and the wagon r , well both cars are equally well/badly matched - santro has oddly placed pedals , the wagon-r has stiffer seats........the debate can go on and on.......

now that u have driven both and also the getz.. i say go for the getz...a far better car than the other 2....a more modern / safer vahicle - with FE arounf 11 kmpl .....

ur call now !
I second that. My thoughts exactly.

Drifter
Old 20th March 2005, 15:44   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

ABS is not worth it on a city car as in case of a panic stop it can increase the distance.
Incase one is travelling on the highway at high speeds....
Man i must have had to much to drink.
Just go for ABS...
Old 20th March 2005, 15:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ABS is not worth it on a city car as in case of a panic stop it can increase the distance.
Enlighten.

Drifter
Old 20th March 2005, 16:05   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Check out the ABS in a baleno thread.
In a city car which wont see above 60kmph, ABS isnot worth it as the car can be controlled.
However in a car being used at speeds in excess of 80kmph ABS is a must.
Old 20th March 2005, 16:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

About the odo/speedo issue. i hope you've read the thread in the 'indian car scene' where this issue is discussed and people have pointed how one can avoid getting a test car. Disconnecting the odo is a very common thing especially in india. You are worried abt the WagonR but how can you be sure that the Getz/Santro won't have had its odo disconnected at some point?
Old 20th March 2005, 16:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Check out the ABS in a baleno thread.
In a city car which wont see above 60kmph, ABS isnot worth it as the car can be controlled.
However in a car being used at speeds in excess of 80kmph ABS is a must.
How can you say that? in town...dont you face panic stop situations? Unless drivers have become really good with their braking techniques...ABS is a must....whether below 60kmph or above.

The wheels can lock even at 30kmph...the point is that ABS is there primarily for steering control in panic stops and secondary for stopping distances.

So would you be rather in control of the steering or not in a panic stop situation? Your guess is as good as mine.

If you can afford ABS...then definately go for it. It saves lives.

Drifter
Old 20th March 2005, 17:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian
4)and does it make sense to wait till May for the Swift to hope for reductions on the Getz. Maruti guys tell me the Swift may be in the 7.00 range ? Any thoughts ?
WHAAAAAAAAAT!!!! I was eagerly waiting for the Swift. But it isn't worth paying 7 lakhs for a hatch. I may as well go and buy a Getz, then.

How reliable is this info? Everywhere I heard, the Swift would be in the same price range as the Getz.
Old 20th March 2005, 17:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

7 Lakhs for the swift? no way in hell. Nobody more than maruti knows how price sensitive our market is. Expect the swift close to the price of the getz.

Drifter

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks