Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2008, 14:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

From what I've heard, the newer Xeta versions with sequential injection arent all that bad, and are you sure the current crop of LPG/CNG kits are from shrimanker

Last edited by greenhorn : 6th October 2008 at 14:06.
Old 6th October 2008, 14:21   #17
JRD
BHPian

1. Since saffire is the fiat engine, is it safe to assume that the FE would be of Palio. Will it be atleast 12 ? This is an important issue for me.
A: Even though its a Fiat engine, Tata has a different gearbox. Also tata has worked on the programming of the ECU. Combine that with the non so phenomenon HP numbers, you should expect around 12 to 13 kmpl.

2. Terra is not having Techo Meter. Is it necessary to achive higher FE ? Can it be added as an accessory ?
A: A Tachometer is used for shifting the gears at a precise RPM (mainly for performance driving where the perfect shift makes a lot of difference). So its absence should not affect you in any manner as far as FE is concerned. The key to good FE is to maintain a constant speed in the correct gear and also the correct tyre pressure.

3. I also want to go for CNG after sometime. Xeta had problems with CNG. What is the opinion about CNG on Fiat's engine ? Any advice from Palio owners on this ?
A: I haven't spoken to people who have used cng on fiat engines so cant say, but if you plan to go for CNG why not look for a car that comes with a factory fitted kit. (Accent CNG drives exceptionally well for a CNG fuelled car.Also there is the Santro CNG)

hope this helps a bit
-JRD.
Old 6th October 2008, 14:43   #18
BHPian

I have got Italian CNG kit fitted in my XETA and it has been running like a dream. I have saved lot of money on the fuel, I am getting 20 kmpkg from CNG and there is no effect on the car performance as the engine is of 1.4 litre.

Only thing which got changed was the spark plugs that too when I got kit. It was suggested by the fitter that you need to change the plug as the CNG needs better plugs.

till now that is all I have spent on the maintenance.

I hope this clears few questions!!
Old 11th October 2008, 09:05   #19
WDB
BHPian

Throwing rational to wind, have gone with my heart and booked a Vista Safire Aura. Delivery is 7 weeks, awaiting the D-day
Old 11th October 2008, 13:21   #20
BHPian

Congrats WDB on your decision.

Gurus correct me if I am wrong, but isnt this the same engine that powers the entry level Grande Punto? So should the lack of performance be such a major issue?
Old 11th October 2008, 13:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations WDB, that makes it the first Vista Safire on the forum.

BTW, which color will it be?
Old 11th October 2008, 22:14   #22
WDB
BHPian

I have selected Black
Old 13th October 2008, 13:49   #23
BHPian

have u TD'ed the Safire before ordering it?
Old 13th October 2008, 13:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

@WDB , read elsewhere that the availablity of darker colours is less. so you may have to wait longer
Old 12th December 2008, 19:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Has it arrived?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
I have selected Black
Good choice on the colour. Let us know (with pictures) when she arrives.

Would also appreciate a new thread in the Initial Ownership reports section.

Congratulations!!
Old 4th June 2011, 13:07   #26
BHPian

Re: Is Vista Saffire worth buying ?

@ WDB:

I am eyeing Vista Saffire. Request you to please share your experience.
Old 17th June 2011, 12:24   #27

Re: Is Vista Saffire worth buying ?

Well, I 've driving the Vista Safire for about a year and a half clocking up some 30k+ kms. While I do agree with the power to weight ratio advantage that the Santro has over the Vista... one things worth mentioning -> The Santro delivers more torque around the 1800 rpm while in the Vista peaks after 2500 rpm... basically means you get a better power output early on in the lower gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge View Post
Thanks phamilyman for such an insightful answer. Though I liked vista a lot , now I am dropping the idea of safire and Quadrajet is anyway, out of my reach. As suggested by you, now I am serious on Santro.

I did a comparision between Safire and Santro. Safire's Output is 65PS @5500 rpm vs. Santro's 63@5500. Safire's torque is 96 nm @ 3000 rpm vs. Santro's 9.8 kgm/3000 rmp. So almost the same. So I was wondering that why you suggested Santro to Safire and I found the answer here - Safire's Kerb Weight is 1075 Kgs Vs. Santro's 854 Kgs (Manual Transmission). The difference of 221 Kgs is making it sluggish and would be even more sluggish on CNG.

On the same lines I tried to compare Xeta 1.2 with Santro.
Output - Xeta : 65.3 PS @ 5000-5200 rpm Vs. Santro's 63 @ 5500
Torque - Xeta : 10.2 kgm @ 2600 rpm Vs. Santro's 9.8 kgm/3000 rmp
Kerb Weight - xeta : 995 Kgs Vs. Santro's 854 Kgs

Though the difference of 141 Kgs, my guess is if CNG goes with Santro, it should go with Xeta too. But I think CNG on Xeta had some problems.

I am now comparing Xeta with Santro because my wife wants a 5 seater. Otherwise I can blindly go for Alto :-)

Still confused over, Santro, Xeta, Alto :-)

, along with economy, I am also looking for comfort and joy to drive.

You are recommending spark to WDB, but Spark has a very little boot space and I doubt it can accommodate and CNG tank. I guess, being in Ahmedabad, WDB would prefer to have that option open.

Most Viewed