Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2008, 19:54   #1
BHPian

Used Palio 1.6 v/s Used Fusion?

Used Palio 1.6 v/s Used Fusion!

Hi Team-BHPians!

Some of you must have seen my (long un-posted upon) thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ion-1-6-a.html where I began looking for a used Palio (1.6 only) or a used Ford Fusion (petrol 1.6).

Well, it has been quite some time since I started looking and have seen some nice (and not so nice) S10s, Stile Sports and Fusions. Some of them I liked, some didn't. Some beyond my budget (but nice), others not worth what the owner was asking for. But the search is still on.. unfortunately!

I really can't explain why I like only these two particular models... but car decisions are never sane anyway (or all would only use buses)!

Moderators: Tried searching for specific threads but didn't find anyone comparing the two head to head! Searched almost all Fusion threads I could find! Hence started this one. If it is duplicate, please close the thread.

So now I need to compare! So please help me! Here is what I have put together already.

The Similarities:

1. Both manufacturers start with F (Fiat and Ford).. I know!
2. Both have 1.6l engines
3. Both produce around 100 odd horses
4. Both suffer from (in public perception) low mileage
5. Both suffer from low resale values (good for me )
6. Both decent performance machines
7. Both great handlers and good speeds.
8. Both have mediocre service support.
9. Both have double crank protection and fuel cut off in accident scenarios.

Now for some Differences:

1. Palio has smooth Italian curves like a timeless beauty, while the Fusion is contemporary and stand apart!
2. Palio has great space all around, but the Fusion is a tad cramped in the front footwell but space everywhere else.
3. Palio seating is low, sports car like. Fusion is upright, SUV (Bus?) like.
4. Palio has low ground clearance, Fusion .. more than any other non SUV?
5. Palio has no ABS, powered ORVMs, rear seatbelts (pre 2004); Fusion + has all and more!
6. A lot more and
7. Finally this: It "seems" in Bangalore, Fusions do command a higher resale value over the Palios (yes initial price is higher too)! The difference between equivalent condition, mileage and age Fusion and a Palio 1.6 would be around 1.0 to 1.5 lakhs. Is that a lot?

Now for some questions: How does a Ford Fusion esp. compare with the Palio in terms of build quality, reliability and maintenance? General attitude towards Fords is that they are maintenance hungry after the first few years and spares and maintenance cost a Bomb. FIATs are very reliable (as I hear) and maintenance is pretty affordable (with Tata service now upping things esp. at Concorde outlets).

I am an auto enthusiast, be it bikes or cars or anything else. I want my first car (even if used) to be a joy to drive. I can afford slightly higher running costs over other "sane" decisions like an A-segment car bought new.

So what do you veterans suggest between the two? Why the Palio over a Fusion or Why a Fusion over a Palio? And more so, is it worth paying 30-50% more for an equivalent condition Fusion over a Palio?

Cheers,

Glifford.
Old 7th October 2008, 07:16   #2
BHPian

"I really can't explain why I like only these two particular models... but car decisions are never sane anyway (or all would only use buses)!"

I would have gone for Ford Fusion (perhaps since my dad's 1st vehicle was M&M jeep.)
No other logic can explain why I would pay for a "wonderful" service and a costlier car.

Pl ignore my sig!

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th October 2008 at 14:56.
Old 7th October 2008, 09:26   #3
BHPian

Its got to be the Palio,
+ sold higher volumes and hence the spares would in supply (OE/local makes) 5~10 years down
+ tank like build quality
+ cheaper to own & run
+ more options in the used market compared to a Fusion
+ less initial investment (assume a Rs. 4k EMI/Lac for 36 months]
+ no big loss when you want to sell
- space
- GC
- exclusivity unless you choose an yellow palio
Old 7th October 2008, 09:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Fusion, if traveling long distance is part of the idea. Its also likelier to be a little more FE than the Palio, and on highways, equally FTD, if the Fiesta is anything to go by.
Old 7th October 2008, 10:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Rather then inclining on "F" i would suggest you to move on to "M"aruti or "H"yundai or "T"ata atleast

You will surely enjoy your first car.

Quote:
I want my first car (even if used) to be a joy to drive. I can afford slightly higher running costs over other "sane" decisions like an A-segment car bought new.
Old 7th October 2008, 11:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Fusion, if traveling long distance is part of the idea. Its also likelier to be a little more FE than the Palio, and on highways, equally FTD, if the Fiesta is anything to go by.
I cannot comment on the Fusion, but abt the Palio, i can say:
No problem long distance. I have driven Bangalore - Goa, without feeling the strain. Done Bangalore -Coimbatore - Bangalore same day, no prob.
Fun-to-Drive - definitely yes.
More than high-revving, the reason for me going for a Palio1.6 was the additional power-on-tap + good torque would make driving effortless. So, i would say, Palio is capable of decent mileage, depending of driving habits - this is from experience.

ABS is something that you may miss on a Palio. That too shouldnt be too much of a problem, if you have decent tyres.
Old 7th October 2008, 11:09   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
- exclusivity unless you choose an yellow palio
OT:
... I have one. 1.6 S10. Too bad that it came only in yellow (would have loved the red option in S10).
But I like it now. Don't know what other's have to say on the road.

Cheers,
Old 7th October 2008, 11:21   #8
BHPian

I would recommend the Palio. A better comparo with the Fiusion would be the Adventure. Similar segment - soft roader.
Personally I found the 1.6 Palio better refined & responsive when compared with a Fusion.
Old 7th October 2008, 11:39   #9
BHPian

I would go for Palio any day. It is more refined than Ford and as many had said before, it's cost effective to maintain as well. Palio has good ride quality and has a good road handling response (best, I have seen so far).
Old 7th October 2008, 14:17   #10
BHPian

Surprised that people find the Palio more refined of the two. Given a choice now, I would buy the Fusion over the Palio. Its even more fun to drive and has much better quality all round. The handling is a bit better than the Palio too, atleast thats what I felt. Even the gear slots in very well and provides a sporty feel. Palio has better low down torque, but post 4.5 K rpm, Fusion is much better. Drive the two back to back and you'd know what I'm saying.
Old 7th October 2008, 14:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Gillford what you need to look at is the budget what you have, Palio is good for long drives and its pretty fuel efficient.
Old 7th October 2008, 14:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Tough choice !!! But if I had to choose, I'd go for the Palio. Purely for the build quality and the pick up. Its a great car to drive. But if space is what you're looking for and the Ford maintainance bills have'nt spooked you, then go for the Fusion.
Old 7th October 2008, 15:23   #13
BHPian

Fusion -
- I havent driven a Fusion for long, just normal TD- stuff.
- One thing that I did like in the fusion is, loads and loads of space both for you and also to keep stuff inside.
- It has a high driving stance, which is good. good GC.
- The mileage is more or less the same as the Palio.

Palio -
- I have owned two palios. one a 1.6GTX and currently a 1.2 sports.
- I can vouch for the build quality, pickup, mileage (yes you heard it right,my 1.6 gave me 11 in city, 16 outside; my 1.2 gives me 13 in city and 18 outside).
- The servicing costs also are pretty reasonable.
- You have lot of options apart from TATA motors to get your palio repaired, such as Green Tracks, Hariprasad Automobiles.
- The only disadvantage of the palio however is only the large turning angle.

However keeping in mind all the goodies(read ABS, powered ORVMs etc) that the Fusion offers, I would suggest you go for the Fusion itself.

Else, I would say both are more or less evenly balanced.
Old 7th October 2008, 16:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Gillford, how much does a used Fusion cost?? aprrox pricing?
Old 7th October 2008, 17:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Fusion is no doubt a good car and its a niche. But I am sure in the used car market, its no cheap. Also, these are not the Fusion +. So there aint any ABS etc.
People ask anywhere between 3.5-4.5 for a used Fusion as compared to 1.3-1.8 for a used Palio.
I was myself looking for Fusion and Palio 1.6, but Fusion owners demand a lot more price. I went ahead with the Palio.

Make your decision depending on your budget. If you can afford 3.5-4.5, go for the Fusion. Else Palio 1.6 makes more sense.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks