Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2008, 16:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

24year old M800 Replacement - i10/Aveo/Getz/i20

Hi, need inputs from everyone about this, as I felt that I alone could not take this decision. My folks are replacing the first car that they bought back in 89 (an 84 M800). The odo stopped working quite sometime back, but we've done about 1L kms on it, had it with us everywhere from Port Blair, Ooty, Lonavla, Mumbai. It was driven down from Chennai port to Ooty when we moved from Port Blair, then when we did a few south India road trips on it too when in Ooty. Even drove from Ooty to Lonavla along the Mangalore route, when we moved to Lonavla from Ooty. So you see it has served us really well in the past 19 years. Now we need a replacement for it.

It will be used only by parents, both are 50 now. So which ever car bought now, will more or less be used as a long term car. Keeping these few things in mind, it was decided that the most important parameters in deciding a car would be the following:-
  • Trouble Free nature
  • Lower on maintenance
  • Decent FE
  • Comfortable ride
  • Easy to get in and out of
The car will be used mostly inside Mumbai limits, with an odd Pune trip at max once or twice a year. Yearly driving would not be more 10K kms, even this is a highly optimistic estimate.

Keeping in mind the above factors, we decided to first shortlist manufacturers. And the following list came up:-
  • Maruti Suzuki - Our natural first choice,with the years of trust we have in the brand and also the confidence is reflected from the new owners too.
  • Hyundai - The new maruti suzuki, these guys have been around for quite sometime now and their small cars have left quite a few owners satisfed.
  • Chevy - The new kid on the block, sounds pretty promising.
  • Tata - Another family member has the first gen Indica petrol, and we are aware of how good or bad those were. But with the launch of the Vista, we decided to have a look at this too.
Next, we made a broad outline of the cars we need to look at from each manufacturers stable :-
  • Maruti - Swift, Wagon R
  • Hyundai - i10, Getz
  • Chevy - Spark, Aveo UVA
  • Tata - Indica Vista Saffire
Next round was to get a feel of the car virtually, this meant checking out each vehicles website and simultaneously getting reviews of T-Bhp.

Maruti was completely taken of the list for two reasons only, the Swift was not to my dad's liking and its just too common a car on the road, moreover read enough about how uncomfy the rear seats, etc are. Wagon R, looks boring, but that was not the reason to take it off the list, since its due for replacement and the A-Star/Splash are around the corner we decided to remove it from our list.

All the other cars remained and TD phase started!

First up was Indica Vista, was absolutely nothing wrong with the car, the sheer space inside was just awesome. There were many thoughtful feature too, but on checking out other cars its seemed to be more of frills! Engine was decent enough, so was the ride quality and braking. But its currently on hold as reading T-Bhp gave an opinion that its not a car one would want to have for long term ownership.

Next, tried out the Spark. It felt so cramped that we din't even take a TD of it. Both my parents shared the same opinion that when seated in the front seat one can get bouts of claustrophobia. Aveo felt a lot better, was roomy enough. Took a TD of it, the engine was quite nice not really sluggish, the TD car had 15K kms on and had a slight gear box issue. The ride quality was at par with the Indica. Aircon was pretty good actually. What we liked about the car was the comfort of inner space, ride quality. So we liked it but not too much , then there were reviews that Chevy cars usually don't command a good resale value. So even the Aveo has been put on hold along with the Indica.

Both my parents instantly liked the i10 Kappa Sportz as they sat in it. Yet to get a TD as the TD car was banged up by a customer recently and the getz wasnt available for TD then too. Currently even without a TD the i10 Kappa Sportz is topping the list, followed by the Getz Prime 1.3.

Unlike others HMP Hyundai is offering us only 3 free services in the first year. The i10 is costing about 5.0x and the Getz is 5.4x. So no confusions between both in the price department as both are pretty close.

Two features that we really really want are Rear Window de-mister, and rear window wash/wipe. This is available in both the i10 and Getz that I mentioned previously.

I would appreciate all your views/options/concerns that would help in making my decision.

I have a few questions too :-
  1. What all do I stand to loose or gain between the i10 and Getz?
  2. Alloy wheels are costing approx. 16K for a set of 4 Hyundai alloys, I've heard a lot of stories about alloys bending, etc and thus would increase ownership costs. How true is this?
  3. How is Hyundai in general as long term ownership vehicle?
  4. FE figures for both the i10 1.2 and Getz 1.3 please??
  5. The company fitted audio system that comes along in Hyundai, is it any good? Don't really need anything state of the art, but something that does the job decently would be good.
  6. i20, seems really really tempting, but any news of launches? The rumor threads don't have anything conclusive. We plan on getting a car by December so would not want delay purchase decision just for i20.
  7. Hyundai is offering 15K over the assessed amount for our M800. Thats roughly 25K, as 10K is what one would get for an 84 M800. Seems to be an okay deal, doesnt it? Don't want emotion to run over practicality, but keeping the ageing car is more of a liability than an asset!
  8. What else do I need to keep in mind?
Thanks for reading through!

Cheers,
Praful
Old 15th October 2008, 16:13   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Maruti was completely taken of the list for two reasons only, the Swift was not to my dad's liking and its just too common a car on the road, moreover read enough about how uncomfy the rear seats, etc are. Wagon R, looks boring, but that was not the reason to take it off the list, since its due for replacement and the A-Star/Splash are around the corner we decided to remove it from our list.
I would suggest that you should still try and TD the Swift before crossing it out. Common! – so what; it only means it is popular and VFM with lot of happy owners. As for rear seats, try it before you call that a reason. Individual views are very different when it comes to these things.
Old 15th October 2008, 16:20   #3
BHPian

If you compare the i10 and the getz the i10 is a bit cramped compared to the getz.Yes even i think you should not cut swift from your list,its common because its liked by many.

Last edited by team suzuki : 15th October 2008 at 16:25.
Old 15th October 2008, 16:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
  2. Alloy wheels are costing approx. 16K for a set of 4 Hyundai alloys, I've heard a lot of stories about alloys bending, etc and thus would increase ownership costs. How true is this?
  5. The company fitted audio system that comes along in Hyundai, is it any good? Don't really need anything state of the art, but something that does the job decently would be good.
  6. i20, seems really really tempting, but any news of launches? The rumor threads don't have anything conclusive. We plan on getting a car by December so would not want delay purchase decision just for i20.
  7. Hyundai is offering 15K over the assessed amount for our M800. Thats roughly 25K, as 10K is what one would get for an 84 M800. Seems to be an okay deal, doesnt it? Don't want emotion to run over practicality, but keeping the ageing car is more of a liability than an asset!
Answering your queries to the best of my knowledge:

1. The i10 being the fresh among the two would be the better option as the Getz will be discontinued in another 6 months time mostly.

2. Hyundai alloys you will not get much designs. All the alloys are the same. If you are careful with your car nothing will happen. Have been using alloys for the past two years on my santro and there is absolutely no problem. Would suggest don go for Hyundai original alloys. You can find a better design for a cheaper price in brands like League, HR etc...

3. In my opinion Hyundai cars are pretty reliable nowadays. Have not spend a single rupee on my santro in the past 40k kms other than for regular service. So i think that is not a cause of worry.

4. The i10 1.2 will give you around 12-12.5 in city(being realistic) and around 14-15 on highways and the getz will give you a km less compared to the 1.2 (both with A/C on)

5. The company fitted audio system is crappy. Do not go for it and ask for the discount instead. You can get an amazing ICE for the same amount the company is giving you from a professional installer outside.

6. As of now, the launch of the i20 is not sure but its going to be a premium hatchback priced in the range of the Fabia. Hyundai is starting the manufactur of only the export version of the i20 this month. Better not wait for that.

7. Do not think twice, its a good deal.

8. Go for the i10 1.2, its a fun car to drive and please upgrade your tyres at the earliest as the stock tyres are too skinny.

Adi
Old 15th October 2008, 16:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:

I would appreciate all your views/options/concerns that would help in making my decision.

Thanks for reading through!

Cheers,
Praful
Hi Praful,

Great shortlisting there.
Will try to answer your queries with the best of my knowledge.

The i10 is a fantastic car and so is the getz. The i10 kappa is a bit livelier engine than the earlier one and doesn't drink more. With the i10 you get a newer vehicle as compared to the getz but a smaller one.
The getz prime which is available in the market these days is a great car to live with. Its roomy, fun to drive, easy to park and most important - comfortable. Though Hyundai is going to launch the i20 way too close to the getz. Though it will be slightly higher on tag, but will be an all new vehicle. But we will have to wait for atleast a couple of months before they bring it to the showrooms.

To be really honest, I have had real bad experiences with Hyundai products. These cars definately can not be even considered for long termers. Use them for two and half to three years and get rid of them. The basic falling apart starts from there. I have a santro xing, with barely 6000 kms on it in 3 years, and every panel has started rattling. Not that it has been run on superb roads only, but the regular indian roads aren't making it age well. The same problem I faced with my accent. 5 years, and it feels like its going to fall apart anytime.

Alloys in any car in any city can be quiet a pain. Off late most of the cities I have been to have more potholes than roads. And thats not the ideal condition for any make alloys. Though if the roads you will be moving on are generally good, then I suggest you go for the alloys. Not only do they look good, but they also make your vehicle lighter. And a lighter vehicle means better economy. However small, but you will notice the improvement.

As far as Hyundai giving you additional 15k over the assessed value is concerned, trust me for this, they have already taken that money from you. Try it, ask them to buy the vehicle from you, but then you won't be buying a car from them. Its the simplest way of making you hooked to them to buy the car. After all your earlier car's fetching 150% more than assessed.

I am not aware whether you have considered the Palio Stile or not. But give it a try.
It gives you everything.
-Rock solid built quality.
-Good driving experience.
-Roomy interiors.
-Value for money.
-Extremely Comfortable seats.
-Not as common as the swift.
-Great Engine.
-Good Reliability.
Fuel efficiency figures I am not sure of, but expect nothing short of 13kpl from it in the city.
The general perception of a palio always was that its a fuel guzzler.
The 1.6 (sport varient) definately was, but then I really do not know many people who bought a P220 and complained about it not giving as good mileage as the CT100.

I have lived with a fiat uno for good 8-9 years, and was really content with it. Everyone I knew asked me about the mileage, and I could proudly tell them that I achieved 22kpl from a bottle test!!
Spares though were a problem at that time, because the vehicle was dis-continued, but the ownership experience was nothing short of exhilliarating.
With current tie-up with tata, you can sleep peacefully not worrying about the service support. And Linea is coming in too within a few months, to ensure that Fiat is here to stay.

Before buying the i10 or the getz, I recommend that you test drive the Palio, to know the difference.
And if at all you do not want to go with Fiat, then take the i10. As I am not too sure how long the getz will survive in the market before the new version arrives. i10 being a younger car, is here to stay.

Go for i10 Kappa if you are not satisfied with Palio
Old 15th October 2008, 17:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
I would suggest that you should still try and TD the Swift before crossing it out. Common! – so what; it only means it is popular and VFM with lot of happy owners. As for rear seats, try it before you call that a reason. Individual views are very different when it comes to these things.
Point noted, will make a call to dad ask to to TD the Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by team suzuki View Post
If you compare the i10 and the getz the i10 is a bit cramped compared to the getz.Yes even i think you should not cut swift from your list,its common because its liked by many.
The i10 is still on the list as its definitely not as cramped as the Spark and feels quite roomy. Plus being a small car+peppy engine has its advantages!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
Answering your queries to the best of my knowledge:

2. Hyundai alloys you will not get much designs. All the alloys are the same. If you are careful with your car nothing will happen. Have been using alloys for the past two years on my santro and there is absolutely no problem. Would suggest don go for Hyundai original alloys. You can find a better design for a cheaper price in brands like League, HR etc...
Might be dumb question, but what do I with the existing wheels? Plus how much would a set of 4/5 cost if I don't go for the Hyundai ones?

5. The company fitted audio system is crappy. Do not go for it and ask for the discount instead. You can get an amazing ICE for the same amount the company is giving you from a professional installer outside.
Ok, I don't mind getting a better audio. But HMP Hyundai Mumbai, declined to remove the music system.:(. Whats ICE??

8. Go for the i10 1.2, its a fun car to drive and please upgrade your tyres at the earliest as the stock tyres are too skinny.
Keeping in mind that my dad will be doing the driving, it will be more or less a sedate ride. In that case would'nt the tires be enough? Any suggested upsizes for the tires? Any loss in FE/performance due to this?Approx. cost for changing?Any exchange for older tyres?

Adi
Thanks for your inputs Adi. A few questions which are in bold inline with your reply.

Last edited by praful : 15th October 2008 at 17:22.
Old 15th October 2008, 17:39   #7
BHPian

Regarding the old wheels you can keep them at home as you hardly get anything for the steel rims. You can probably get a decent price for your tyres if you directly drive from the showroom to get a new set of tyres. A set of alloys(4) will come to around 12-13k.

For upgrades you can check in the tyre and alloy wheel section and contact the tyre gurus. There will not be much diff in fuel efficiency as one thinks.

ICE- In car entertainment. The only option you have is to get the audio system and upgrade it later if you feel the requirement.

Adi

Last edited by aditya.86 : 15th October 2008 at 17:40.
Old 15th October 2008, 17:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thanks for the inputs!
Old 15th October 2008, 19:04   #9
BHPian

If its petrol i10 is a good choice.
Having said that do try out the Swift Diesel, its a fun car to drive.

Take a Test Drive and then finalize.
Old 15th October 2008, 19:06   #10
BHPian

If you are considering the diesel the swift would be the best buy as of now.
Old 15th October 2008, 19:24   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Praful, you didn't mention who is going to drive the car. If your parents are going to drive it themselves, then get the i10 Automatic. They will love you for this. Their driving is primarily within the city, and the mile munching is not that high either.

And if it's going to be chauffeur-driven, no hatch touches the Vista for rear bench comfort. You might want to check the Indigo CS & the Logan for their backseats too.
Old 15th October 2008, 19:51   #12
BHPian

Praful just as GTO mentioned the i10 automatic is a beauty and if its your parents who are going to use it then they will just love it in the crazy city traffic.
Old 16th October 2008, 10:07   #13
BHPian

why not a palio or an aveo

From the lot of cars these are the better ones. the others sell more, probably has to do with their marketing skills and not necessarily their engineering skills. trust me brother any car which goes in for a repair will cost a bomb. I have friends who drive cars manufactured by maruti and hyundai who have changed a greater number of parts than any of my friends who have palios.

Especially if it is for your father have him test all these cars, do not discuss the cost ask him to just go by the drivability and feel and then discuss the otr prices and ownership cost over a three year period. I am sure the palio or an aveo will come out trumps.
Old 16th October 2008, 16:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
Hi Praful,

Great shortlisting there.
Will try to answer your queries with the best of my knowledge.

To be really honest, I have had real bad experiences with Hyundai products. These cars definately can not be even considered for long termers.

Alloys in any car in any city can be quiet a pain.

As far as Hyundai giving you additional 15k over the assessed value is concerned, trust me for this, they have already taken that money from you. Try it, ask them to buy the vehicle from you, but then you won't be buying a car from them. Its the simplest way of making you hooked to them to buy the car. After all your earlier car's fetching 150% more than assessed.

I am not aware whether you have considered the Palio Stile or not. But give it a try.
It gives you everything.
-Rock solid built quality.
-Good driving experience.
-Roomy interiors.
-Value for money.
-Extremely Comfortable seats.
-Not as common as the swift.
-Great Engine.
-Good Reliability.
Fuel efficiency figures I am not sure of, but expect nothing short of 13kpl from it in the city.
The general perception of a palio always was that its a fuel guzzler.
The 1.6 (sport varient) definately was, but then I really do not know many people who bought a P220 and complained about it not giving as good mileage as the CT100.

Before buying the i10 or the getz, I recommend that you test drive the Palio, to know the difference.
And if at all you do not want to go with Fiat, then take the i10. As I am not too sure how long the getz will survive in the market before the new version arrives. i10 being a younger car, is here to stay.

Go for i10 Kappa if you are not satisfied with Palio
Thanks for the inputs Samyak, nice to see you in this forum too!

About the Hyundai not standing a long term use, Now this confuses matters a bit. Coz, the car that my parents will buy now will not be changed for quite some time. Atleast a 10 year ownership is what we are looking at.

I checked out the Fiat India website, its seems that the Palio 1.1 is still using the Fiat Uno engine, and it seems to be a tad underpowered atleast on paper. The 1.6 would still be in budget, too much more than what we need (100ps no doubt, but my dad doesn't need that much power)! Still have asked the Palio guys to come home with a 1.1 for a TD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
If its petrol i10 is a good choice.
Having said that do try out the Swift Diesel, its a fun car to drive.
Take a Test Drive and then finalize.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
If you are considering the diesel the swift would be the best buy as of now.
Diesel although fun to drive with the abundant torque that these motors offers, would not be a good investment considering the fact that yearly driving will hardly come close to 10K, even thats quite a lot. A more realistic figure would be approx 6-7K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Praful, you didn't mention who is going to drive the car. If your parents are going to drive it themselves, then get the i10 Automatic. They will love you for this. Their driving is primarily within the city, and the mile munching is not that high either.

And if it's going to be chauffeur-driven, no hatch touches the Vista for rear bench comfort. You might want to check the Indigo CS & the Logan for their backseats too.
The car will be driven only by dad. And he just hates automatics, dunno why. But he says that automatics make him feel as if he's driving(err..riding) mom's kinetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabnavis View Post
From the lot of cars these are the better ones. the others sell more, probably has to do with their marketing skills and not necessarily their engineering skills. trust me brother any car which goes in for a repair will cost a bomb. I have friends who drive cars manufactured by maruti and hyundai who have changed a greater number of parts than any of my friends who have palios.

Especially if it is for your father have him test all these cars, do not discuss the cost ask him to just go by the drivability and feel and then discuss the otr prices and ownership cost over a three year period. I am sure the palio or an aveo will come out trumps.
Precisely what I am looking for, an overall lower running cost over a 10 year period!

Last edited by praful : 16th October 2008 at 16:53.
Old 16th October 2008, 18:59   #15
BHPian

Praful,

With the serious price cuts by Fiat on the Palio all models, I would really suggest to go for that. Since it has rock solid build and apart from that 1.1L is not really a underpowered car.
Hey ya another thing, 1.6 can also be bought in, who knows sometimes you may end up driving too? Atleast the engine you would get for that 4.5lac onroad (1.6L) would be a real bomb I say.

Most Viewed