Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2008, 13:52   #16
Team-BHP Support

@kaushik_s - the moisture in Palio headlamp unit is a common problem and the clutch is hard when compared to a Baleno, so I dont think these are major deterrants. But I would suggest to ask your friend to go for a 1.6 as it hardly drinks more petrol than the 1.2. I have even heard that if driven equally the 1.6 will return better mileage than the 1.2 though I have not tested it myself but from a person who owns both. But he problem is that you cannot refrain youself from flooring the pedal on a 1.6. Morover your friend might get a better resale on the 1.6 just for the excluvity factor if somebody with a bank balance like me wants to own a 1.6 in future.. lol
Old 4th November 2008, 14:39   #17
BHPian

kaushik,
like how Blackpearl and others have mentioned, the hard clutch and the moist headlamps are a common problems in quite a few palios in the second hand market.

Price - i think 1.75 is slightly on the higher side, but if the car is really good, then bargain a bit or maybe settle for the same. But make sure that you take the car to an authorised mechanic and get it checked thoroughly (I think Green Tracks at Hosur road does it for a price of about Rs 350 or something).
If there are any issues, talk to the seller and tell him to get the same repaired under his cost and you would pay the price quoted by him. i.e. 1.75 lakhs

Mileage - If driven with a light foot, you can manage a mileage of close to 13.5 in a 1.2 in city conditions with 10% AC. highway mileage is around 18-20kmpl.

The mileage of a 1.6 however would hover around 10.5 to 11.5.Highway mileage here is about 16kmpl.

All the best Kaushik.
Old 4th November 2008, 15:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys, so it seems the clutch feels hard anyway.
And what about the moist headlamp repairing ? Can it be repaired?
There are few things which we've told the dealer to repair and he said he'll do it once we confirm the deal.
About the price, I checked carwale and they are also pointing for similar price, so probably Bangalore prices are like this? The car in question is the Sports version but with 1.2 ltr engine.
We tried to find a GTX but it was simply not available. So we thought to stick to 1.2.
GodsEnvy, thanks for the pointer to Green Track, do you have any contact available for them? Anyone if you can recommend personally?
Old 4th November 2008, 15:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Thanks guys, so it seems the clutch feels hard anyway.
And what about the moist headlamp repairing ? Can it be repaired?
There are few things which we've told the dealer to repair and he said he'll do it once we confirm the deal.
About the price, I checked carwale and they are also pointing for similar price, so probably Bangalore prices are like this? The car in question is the Sports version but with 1.2 ltr engine.
We tried to find a GTX but it was simply not available. So we thought to stick to 1.2.
GodsEnvy, thanks for the pointer to Green Track, do you have any contact available for them? Anyone if you can recommend personally?
Congrats for the choice! The Sports ver has a spoiler and a 14' rims with alloys, right?

Finding a 1.6 GTX in a good non-abused condition is a rare chance dude!

Experts say the NV model is bit sluggish than the pre-NV ones which is yours!

Regarding the headlamps, its a common problem with those models. You may need to replace it if its too foggy! or els thoda do some juggad to rectify it! There is a thread about the same in other section..

Cheers~
Old 4th November 2008, 15:44   #20
BHPian

anytime buddy

There is another thread where the moist headlamp issue has been discussed. It can be resolved to some extent for sure.

No particular contact in Green tracks as such, but you can just go there and go for a thorough checkup. (you can take their number from Just Dial)

Go for the 1.2 if your friend is learning and wants to get a hang of it

Anyways what's the color of this car? How's the body line? Any damages? Did you check the electricals?

All the best
Old 4th November 2008, 15:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Congrats for the choice! The Sports ver has a spoiler and a 14' rims with alloys, right?

Finding a 1.6 GTX in a good non-abused condition is a rare chance dude!

Experts say the NV model is bit sluggish than the pre-NV ones which is yours!

Regarding the headlamps, its a common problem with those models. You may need to replace it if its too foggy! or els thoda do some juggad to rectify it! There is a thread about the same in other section..

Cheers~
rudrah, i think the alloys for the 1.2 came post 2004-05, if i am not wrong. Mine is a 2005 and I have alloys on mine

Also, mine is an NV model, it does feel sluggish at times, because I compare it with my previous 1.6 GTX. Not sure if it really is so sluggish in comparison to the pre-NV ones.
Old 4th November 2008, 16:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi kaushik,

> the same issue of Hard clutch pedal. Is this a common problem with Palio? > And actually while movine the clutch seems to get harder.

From what I have read over in the Palio related groups, this could be rectified by a simple bleed of the clutch. The Palio has a hydraulic clutch. Only if this does not help should it be more serious. With a hydraulic clutch it is usually harder than a cable operated clutch. But getting harder while pressing looks to me easily cured by the clutch bleed.

> Also I can see water droplets/moist inside one of the headlamps(strangely
> seen this issue in 2 other Palios). Can this be rectified easily?

There is an excellent DIY posted in the Palio Yahoo group thread. The link should be here too in a thread which was discussing the issue.

If these are the issues holding back the purchase, I feel they are minor.

But do check the the clutch before deciding.
Old 4th November 2008, 16:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Will tell my friend to get the clutch checked by a mechanic if possible. It's a pre NV 1.2sports and no Alloys on this. It does have a spoiler.
Bodyline is fine, doesn't seem to have any damages. Actually I've seen very few 2nd hand cars without a dent like this one. It's silver color. Electricals doesn't seem to have problem except one fused bulb which they'll replace before delivery, all power windows, indicators, brake lights etc are working fine.
So only thing left is to get a check done by a good mechanic.
Old 4th November 2008, 19:52   #24
BHPian

1.6 GTX is an enthusiasts car pal, its tough to find cos, people who own it dont sell it and they are very less in number too. Good you found a nice 1.2. Palio is a nice car to own, but for the low fuel efficiency.

Its a really powerfull car otherwise and a nice engine too. Tough to service though.
Old 5th November 2008, 04:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
Good you found a nice 1.2. Palio is a nice car to own, but for the low fuel efficiency.
Low fuel efficiency?
My Palio 1.2 gives me 12 - 13 kmpl in City (Bangalore)!

Quote:
Tough to service though.
What is so tough to service a Palio?
Old 5th November 2008, 15:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Low fuel efficiency?
My Palio 1.2 gives me 12 - 13 kmpl in City (Bangalore)!

What is so tough to service a Palio?

Agree with finneyp-
my palio 1.2 gives me 13 for sure in bangalore city driving conditions

my previous three mileage readings are 13.43kmpl, 13.55kmpl and 13.40kmpl

So mileage should not be any issue with a palio.
Old 5th November 2008, 18:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

13 is a damn good mileage, actually we were expecting around 10kmpl and if it's 13 then it's icing on the cake.
Update: the dealer/middleman haven't yet shown us the papers. I hope there is nothing fishy here. They said that the owner was busy yesterday.
Old 5th November 2008, 21:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

@kaushik: Since your friend is new to driving if he does get into an accident (god forbid), the car would spending a lot of time in the service station waiting for parts.
There have been a few long term reviews on tbhp mentioning people waiting for parts.
Old 6th November 2008, 00:14   #29
BHPian

my friend has a Sport and he spends many weekends in the Palio service station fixing something or the other. He must have run about 80k and his maintenance charges are pretty high.
Old 6th November 2008, 08:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
@kaushik: Since your friend is new to driving if he does get into an accident (god forbid), the car would spending a lot of time in the service station waiting for parts.
You don't own a Fiat car, yet you speak with such authority!
Quote:
There have been a few long term reviews on tbhp mentioning people waiting for parts.
Please provide the link for those long term reviews which mentions waiting for parts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
my friend has a Sport and he spends many weekends in the Palio service station fixing something or the other. He must have run about 80k and his maintenance charges are pretty high.
Maybe he goes there to get his air checked!
Pls let us know what issues he is facing and also the maint. charges too?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks