Team-BHP - Used Swift Zxi with CNG or New Swift Vdi?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Used Swift Zxi with CNG or New Swift Vdi? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/49472-used-swift-zxi-cng-new-swift-vdi.html)

Hi friends am pretty close to being tired of waiting for GP to launch, so have decided will buy a car by december end or march. Now the main confusion in my mind is like this.

My budget is 5.5L, My monthly running is from 600 to 1000 Kms. I will be single driver so dont need a big car. My running is just in the City on the ringroad most of the time. Hatch is just fine. This car will be used for more than 7 - 10 years. I am too emotional so, I just dont believe in selling cars.
stupid:

Now being a regular bhpian I already know all the short comings of swift compared to other cars. It rattles, Its a bit dated now, space, interior quality and all. But I cant think of any other car at the moment except swift and may be i20 (if it launches before March).

Now I know my monthly running is not much but still dont want to pay anymore for petrol. So I have this big confusion, seeing my monthly running should I just go for Used swift zxi and fit CNG on it?(Around 15K to 20K on ODO) Used because I have heard you should never put CNG on new engine.I'll save some money. Will get comfort of Auto AC Airbags too.

Or should should i just wait till march for best deals and go ahead with New Swift Diesel? Nowadays as it is there is no restriction as to buy diesel car only if you have this much kms to travel monthly. Diesel cars are pretty much in now even if you dont travel much and maintain it properly. Diesel engines last much longer and its a benefit both way Cost of fuel and a good average too. Say 18 to 20. There's a torque feel about diesel engines too.

Lastly, Dont suggest me Wagon R with CNG option. I just hate that car, I already have I10. Getz I love but buying it makes sense only if its a second hand. Palio because its a Palio. Dont know what will do with it after 10 years. Rest Nothing is left.
Please helpplease:

With the rate at which I am hearing/reading cars gng into flames, I will advice you to stick with the D version.
I am paranoid.

I'd suggest you book a swift D anyway. and think about which car to get later
in case you change your mind in the 4 months, you can always sell the allotment papers , probably at a profit:D !

A CNG swift Zxi will be underpowered, on the other hand , a diesel will be a brute, and you'll have better resale and running costs

You make sense greenhorn. But aint it true that i'll get best deals in march end only?? Secindky wont I have to pay downpayment to book the car? like we did when we got i10?

No replies? Friends. I have also included in the list second hand Getz Prime. It will do good with CNG. Will 1.1 be okay for a single driver?

Guys i Needed to know is Diesel Okay for my running? How good is a Palio?

I dont want to make a mistake when by buying a Diesel engine and regret later. So please help. My running in no way can ever cross 800 to 1000KMS a month.

dude the swift VDi is the best option for you... not only do you get a superb performance car, the fuel bills are also kept in check...

why buy a used swift when u can already afford a new one???

i myself m planning to buy a used swift vxi/zxi, primarily coz my budget is around 3.5... :P

Well I agree but the thing is If you check there is another thread doing the rounds its called hatchback comparator. According to It Swift VDI is much costly in terms of cost of ownership, FE, FC, Car Cost etc. Check it out. I am confused for swift Vdi just because of that and thinking of CNG as an option.

Well If you budget is so Why are you even considering a swift. you better consider i10. Anyway you'll know what am talking about when you see that Hatchback compartor thread. More replies needed guys.

Yes I am keeping second hand option open too because though in worst case i can afford New Car but still want be resonable and save some dough, In this recessionic phase. In short I am a very confused person with no fixed budget

you either have to let your head or your heart make the decision. its kinda hard to make them both agree :D
if your head is coming too much in the way, the indica vista is another alternative, one of them with the same engine :) and the other is cheaper by another 50K!

Dude,

ZXi with CNG will rock. Here's what my thoughts are:
a. ZXi with CNG will have BETTER ride quality - the closest metaphor is jeeps that were loaded down with sand bags rode better - ask any gypsy guy :p
b. CNG is cheap, long term. period.
c. VDi is fun, yes, but that low end torque is a bitch. Its downright dangerous while panic braking and 120+ zigzags are maddening.

that said, there's enough of us here to sing praises of VDi, so no issues there as well. You can't go wrong either ways :D

PS: Why not Ikon TDCI?

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 1072723)
c. VDi is fun, yes, but that low end torque is a bitch. Its downright dangerous while panic braking and 120+ zigzags are maddening.

Could you explain how low rpm torque is a bad thing when braking, and makes higher speeds unsafe :confused:

Its horrible.

In alto/Xeta, at 120, when I'd brake, I'd just bloody SLAM the brakes, and the car would shudder/slow down to even 30-40.

In VDi, at 60-70ish, the low end torque kicks in, and starts resisting the brakes - its no different from how it purrs along at idle in any gear. Do it in the middle of an expressway at 120, and you have a dangerous cocktail. Plus unlike how my mom's clutched her way across hte m800 - think starting from red light in third gear :p - this beast just shudders/dies if for eg I come to halt (without clutch) in fourt gear itself - a petrol is a lot more well behaved than that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 1072742)
Its horrible.

In alto/Xeta, at 120, when I'd brake, I'd just bloody SLAM the brakes, and the car would shudder/slow down to even 30-40.

In VDi, at 60-70ish, the low end torque kicks in, and starts resisting the brakes - its no different from how it purrs along at idle in any gear. Do it in the middle of an expressway at 120, and you have a dangerous cocktail. Plus unlike how my mom's clutched her way across hte m800 - think starting from red light in third gear :p - this beast just shudders/dies if for eg I come to halt (without clutch) in fourt gear itself - a petrol is a lot more well behaved than that.

Thats the diesel rubber-band effect my dear. You will get used to it pretty soon.

@Somebodystopme: I know you have made a choice, but I think none of the two options make sense for you kind of requirements. I would never go for CNG coz of warranty issues. Also, have you seen the long queueueueueueueues outside CNG pumps lately ?

And regarding you not wanting to pay for petrol, you would have already paid a premium for the diesel engine so economically petrol costs would not hurt you.
My suggestion: Kappa or wait for the GP. Else a petrol Getz / Swift, no CNG

sorry to have missed this thread earlier. Well here is what i think

There is no dount that the Swift is best enjoyed in diesel. A downside here is that if you are planning to keep it for 7-10 years i dont know how the diesel engines would age. Another thing is that with the monthly running of 600-1Kkm i dont think it would make sense in paying the premium for the diesel engine and compromising on some features that are not available in the diesel variant. With that kind of budget, if you really like the swift go for the petrol top end variant.

If you could wait till march, i guess the i20 would be in town by Jan-Feb. THe looks make me think that its worth waiting for.

If you are not looking for outright performance i think you should have a look at the U-Va too. Its a highly under estimated car.

@ phamilyman, diesels being CI engines, below a certain RPM, die very quickly. In petrols, especially MPFI ones, the ecu and the spark plugs do their bit to keep the engine going, but in a diesel, there is nothing to aid ignition, and hence stops. having said that , you should be revving a diesel that low - it will complain very vocally and may damage the engine mounts. I've never noticed it because I've not driven petrol cars a lot, especially in the city

Ummm is a monthly running of 2k kms enough to go for a diesel car (Ldi) ?
Asking on behalf of a friend ,he plans on keeping the car for atleast 3 years.