Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2008, 12:03   #31
BHPian

guys, finally test drove all the cars mentioned (except sadly the u-va, grrr... dahm that GM dealer) so here goes, the initial review sorta thing:

Suzuki A-Star - amazing VFM hatch!! looks really good, seats are comfy, boot a tad too small, responsive chassis and steering, fairly good acceleration. 7/10

Hyundai i10 - better in all respects than a-star except INTERIORS... cannot match the classy black-silver theme of the a-star... beige dashboard reflects on the windscreen.. bad. but excellent driving dynamics nonetheless, better than a-star. 7.5/10

Suzuki Swift - blew my mind apart!! fell in love again!! (first time was with my ZMA!!)
superb, uber cool, fantastic, need i say more?? 11/10!!

and maruti suzuki has slashed prices!! saw it on zee news by accident, confirmed by dealers.

so looks like it's gonna be swift if i can wangle it!!

though still have to take the TD of the u-va (main purpose of this thread, puh!) and will post my review perhaps 2moro!

cheerz...

@straightdrive - thanks for ur input bro!! will definitely consider the u-va!
Old 9th December 2008, 13:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenik View Post
guys, finally test drove all the cars mentioned (except sadly the u-va, grrr... dahm that GM dealer) so here goes, the initial review sorta thing:
though still have to take the TD of the u-va (main purpose of this thread, puh!) and will post my review perhaps 2moro!

cheerz...

@straightdrive - thanks for ur input bro!! will definitely consider the u-va!

Are there any UV-A owners of this forum in chandigarh? Arsenik , you can get a test drive. What seems to be the problem with GM dealer in Chandigarh. He do not have a test drive vehicle?

Dwarak
Old 9th December 2008, 23:19   #33
BHPian

no yaar, the td vehicle is temporarily unavailable.. dunno any other GM dealer here.. in fact, i just happened to come across it on my way to service my bike....
chandigarh u-va owners, come hear my plea!!!!
Old 12th December 2008, 13:48   #34
BHPian

Guys, finally test drove the u-va today, and frankly, i'm in love!!! it's superb!!! amazing performance for a car this size!!! i even checked acceleration in first gear with a/c on and it wasn't bad at all!! gearshift was surprisingly super smooth (i checked the car in stock, it's gearshift wasn't that smooth) but the car feels thoroughly well-built, sturdy and damn sexy in black!!!

just need a few opinions regarding the car, and hopefully if all falls into place, will book the car in a couple of weeks..

just one thing, the dealer is quoting a price of 3,95,900 with free insurance.. now he is talking about the '08 model and i'm not sure if this is cheap enough. Should i ask for more discounts or wait till January and then buy '08 model.. I just want to get the best deal and don't care about buying a new model, etc.

Your opinions would really help me a lot, guys!
cheerz
Old 12th December 2008, 14:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

just one thing, the dealer is quoting a price of 3,95,900 with free insurance.. now he is talking about the '08 model and i'm not sure if this is cheap enough. Should i ask for more discounts or wait till January and then buy '08 model.. I just want to get the best deal and don't care about buying a new model, etc.

Your opinions would really help me a lot, guys!
cheerz
Good you liked the UVA. its for sure spacious and well built. Only problem with UVA is its under the GM stable

From what we look in market, almost all [ALL, I saw a concorde motors advt in TV for TATA 66K offer!!!] auto guys give huge discounts. - in some name or other.

Anyway, we cannot guarantee that it will be still increasing or reducing. but current offers are really good.

How long are you planing to keep the UVA? Even in case you want to sell, the price for 2008 will be little less than 2009, but that would be compensated now when you buy. So, its actually nothing to worry.

Unless there is a big face lift or UVA with a MJD , Which no one has clues whether it will or not. Even there are talks of releasing the CNG/LPG variant of UVA, but again, its all in paper. Nothing solid yet.
Old 12th December 2008, 18:34   #36
BHPian

Quote:
just one thing, the dealer is quoting a price of 3,95,900 with free insurance.. now he is talking about the '08 model and i'm not sure if this is cheap enough..............
Arsenik, which model are you looking at? The middle level one? LS?

If it is, then the top end LT is what I would suggest you go for and I believe it would still be much cheaper than than the price it started off with in late 2006. It is worth it for the ABS, rear defogger and a couple of other things.

And congrats on the decision - am sure you won't regret it.
Old 12th December 2008, 21:24   #37
BHPian

i'm talkin abt the base model dude....
Old 12th December 2008, 22:02   #38
Senior - BHPian

UVA is a very decent model, doesnt flylike the swift does but nice VERY spacious and nowhere as frail - take a bump at 20kph in all cars to realize the difference. ofc if you often plan severe himalayan stints, stick to maruti.
Old 23rd January 2009, 16:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatoR View Post
This is really surprising because the U-VA probably has the highest ground clearance among all the hatchbacks (180 mm precisely). In fact that's one of its plus points.

Are you sure there's nothing that has come loose or stuck under the car?
I had never hit my UVA's underbelly at any king of road. I think a underbelly inspection is due.

Regards
Old 23rd January 2009, 16:49   #40
Senior - BHPian

I am very much happy with the current UVA-LT. It handles well, rides well and returning good FE around 16kmpl (without AC) and 14kmpl (with AC). The space inside as well as cabin insulation is awesome. Two things which took me little time to adjust was (1.) Peep through window glass at sharp turning to avoid blind spot due to very thick A-pillar (2.) A special knack to engage the reverse gear.
Old 24th January 2009, 09:40   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
... cabin insulation is awesome.....
Cabin insulation in not even required in a petrol car. I think all modern petrol cars by default dont bring any noise into the cabin.

BTW, My Indica Vista is a growling jaguar(the animal and not the car ) and love its roar
Old 24th January 2009, 20:15   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
I am very much happy with the current UVA-LT. It handles well, rides well and returning good FE around 16kmpl (without AC) and 14kmpl (with AC). The space inside as well as cabin insulation is awesome. Two things which took me little time to adjust was (1.) Peep through window glass at sharp turning to avoid blind spot due to very thick A-pillar (2.) A special knack to engage the reverse gear.
16kmpl !. I have read all the threads on UV-A but none claimed that much. Buddy, i am to make a decision between i10 and U-VA. The only things that has inclined me towards i10 was better FE. Now if you claim this, i might have to rethink because then space of UV-A scores much high.

How old is your car?
Old 25th January 2009, 09:40   #43
Senior - BHPian

One ofmy friends got a second hand U-Va and he is getting above 15km/l in city!!!! Never believed the company claims could be true
Old 25th January 2009, 15:46   #44
BHPian

I am planning to have a TD of this car. I drove i10 before, but i feel that for the price of 1.2 Magna, i would rather spend on U-VA considering the space factor.

I have a pet dog who also travels with me. Now finally moving from my dad's very old M800, i10 would just be little upscale in the rear area. Whereas U-VA has got tremendous space at the rear seats. Also the middle trim (LS) would cost be a little over than i10, not to say i will also get 3 year free all-part guarentee.

I dont know but there is a "smarter" varinet of U-VA as shown on the web, but i have no idea if it would be launced in India soon.

In india, model available look like the one below.

I can wait if its launching in 2009, but no info is available on any link on web. I searched a lot, you bet.
Old 31st January 2009, 11:03   #45
BHPian

Well, i went for the TD last saturday, but was caught in a traffic jam, just to reach around 8 PM at the Auto Vikas in motinagar Delhi.
I could not have a TD, but closely inspected the car, to satisfy my all queries. Here are few things that i liked

1. Space - No doubt, increible. This would give more weight to my Dad's preference. He is in for UVA, and me in i10. Now when you compare them inside, you can actually see the difference. This is almost as spacious as i20 (which i saw last to last week)

2. Body/build:- Now the car looks solid and is indeed crafted of a think sheet. I dont remember the exact measurements, but the dealer challenged me to "kick" the bumper to see how it can easily take the impact. And it did..!. I noticed that it had steel bards inside front bumpers

3. Rear folding seats and Boot space :- Now this i liked too much. I can easliy pack some extra bags if i polan out a vacation

Few thigs that i didnt like:-

1. Interiors:- The car has grey interiors, just like the Matiz had. The carbon fiber finish on door handles is good. Howvere, it fails to catch the eye on first look from interior

2. Lack of tachometer. :- I dont know, but its existance could be a better option.

I can get some plush covers to modify the interios. And tachomter is not needed :- thats what my Dad says to convinence me. More over, the beige interiors in i10 would get dirt in Delhi roads after an year or so.

So the pointer is almost on UVA. I am getting the quotes from dealres for CSD.

As of now i am told that only dealers from following places deal in UVA from CSD:- Ludhiana, Jallandar, Chandigarh, Jaipur.

PS:- I am yet to get hold of the car on Road to check the engine !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks