Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2008, 17:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
actually , the spark is much better than the other small car alternatives ( except possibly the indica) on the highway too

I have not driven the Indica that extensively, so, no opinions on that. But, I found Spark to be the best when it came to ride and handling combination amongst the cars in that segment. I would in fact choose Spark over i10, in spite of those good interiors of i10.
Old 12th December 2008, 20:27   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Hey ritz830,

My point being that I agree that the Spark is a wonderful city car, but I disagree that it is not a capable higway performer. Don't expect to zip past other cars while overtaking, though. And in hind sight I probably should have put in the extra for ABS. I wanted it, but didn't cos it is part of the option pack and all together would have taken the car out of my budget. Brakes need a good progressive shove to stop in emergencies. But now that we've completed 5500kms in the Spark, I have no doubt about it being an excellent buy, and I have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone who asks!
I understand your point. There is the 5th gear in spark which suits highway driving. But not much of torque there, which you can expect only in big cars with big power.
Well, My leg space is restricted in spark. I would like a reclining position in highways. Only the A-star, Palio, U-VA, Getz (not Swift/wagonR/estillo/i10/santro) provide that type of reclining position which are very apt for highway driving. But at the same time these cars are wide and also have thich A pillar which blocks the driver's view, hence making them less suitable for city driving. So that was the reason of my statement about spark beeing suited best for city driving.

Other thean the erect driving position, the Chevy spark has the best dimensions among small cars(low center of gravity coupled with smaller width). The driver has good visibility of the road. Also its gearing has made it capable of cruising at 130km/h effortlessly in highways. All these attributes make it a good city & highway car.

Last edited by ritz830 : 12th December 2008 at 20:34.
Old 12th December 2008, 23:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

Another thing - which made me spend 2L more on VDi than Spark:
Its reasonably slower than my pulsar 180 - with my daily 45km commute on the expressway, I know which cars are FAST on the expressway - the spark isnt one of them.

Keep it for the city and occasional jaunts - don't expect much more, honestly Its capable yes, but there's a raison d'etre for the UVA too!
Old 12th December 2008, 23:34   #34
BHPian

Just saw the A-star today.There is a very little boot space and didnt like the styling of the car.Go for spark,i think a better choice than A-star.even though bit expensive i10 will be the best choice.

Last edited by stable rock : 12th December 2008 at 23:35.
Old 12th December 2008, 23:46   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stable rock View Post
Just saw the A-star today.There is a very little boot space and didnt like the styling of the car.Go for spark,i think a better choice than A-star.even though bit expensive i10 will be the best choice.
I agree, i10 is good. I would love to go to office in i10. The best part is its precise steering, something similar to santro. Its a modern car focused on the actual needs of customer.
Old 13th December 2008, 11:38   #36
Senior - BHPian

Other day I was passing by Maruti showroom with my friend and we thought we will check out the A-star. We did a short test drive. My quick observations are:
  1. Engine is bit coarse but extremely responsive right from the start
  2. Dash is set high and can be a problem for short drivers
  3. boot is unbelivably small, can only hold briefcases
  4. Rear seat is cramped and claustrophobic
  5. Overall car feels very light and doesnt feel solidly built.
  6. There was a plastic extention from the dash which fouls with the feet while operating pedals
Havent driven the Spark but I remember my old Matiz never had 'flimsy' feeling like the A-Star
Old 13th December 2008, 16:05   #37
BHPian

The only thing with A star is .. it feels too crushed in the rear...feels like a animal inside good looking cage.. If u gonna use it with 4 ppl all the time, then u have to think twice!
Old 13th December 2008, 16:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Other day I was passing by Maruti showroom with my friend and we thought we will check out the A-star. We did a short test drive. My quick observations are:
  1. Engine is bit coarse but extremely responsive right from the start
  2. Dash is set high and can be a problem for short drivers
  3. boot is unbelivably small, can only hold briefcases
  4. Rear seat is cramped and claustrophobic
  5. Overall car feels very light and doesnt feel solidly built.
  6. There was a plastic extention from the dash which fouls with the feet while operating pedals
Havent driven the Spark but I remember my old Matiz never had 'flimsy' feeling like the A-Star
I think A-star can only be a second car for city rides. RIGHT?
Old 13th December 2008, 16:27   #39
Senior - BHPian

the problem with the spark, and in alll probablity the a star as well , is that both these cars lack highway presence. When I'm in my indica or a swift, when I'm overtaking, people will give way, both the guy in front, and the guy on the opposite side. not so much in the spark. you flash, you honk, and people dont pay much attention.
Old 13th December 2008, 17:20   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
I think A-star can only be a second car for city rides. RIGHT?
Yes, but I think it will be an excellent option as a everyday car to drive to office.

Last edited by Guna : 13th December 2008 at 17:32.
Old 13th December 2008, 19:57   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Yes, but I think it will be an excellent option as a everyday car to drive to office.
spark/a-star v.good in city
Old 15th December 2008, 17:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

Another small input from my side.

Test drove the A-Star on Saturday and found it pretty convincing.
From the outside, the space in the rear looks cramped, but when you sit inside, while someone is driving, I found the space pretty much enough.

For spark, with P/S, will cost you 3.52L. A-Star Lxi costs 3.82L with all goodies.
Test drive the A-Star as well before you hit the hammer.
Old 15th December 2008, 20:42   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post

From the outside, the space in the rear looks cramped, but when you sit inside, while someone is driving, I found the space pretty much enough.

For spark, with P/S, will cost you 3.52L. A-Star Lxi costs 3.82L with all goodies.
Test drive the A-Star as well before you hit the hammer.
wrong info. Spark is on a discount of 40k. So the new price will be around 3.10 or 3.20 lakhs
Old 15th December 2008, 23:19   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
wrong info. Spark is on a discount of 40k. So the new price will be around 3.10 or 3.20 lakhs
Spark Base model is 3.12L,which does not come with P/S. If you want to go with the P/s, 3.5L is the price.
Old 16th December 2008, 00:02   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post

I saw the car, I sat inside (Backseat) and tried to open the door. I felt that some body has cut the door. I am open half door not the full one. And again when I saw the Boot space I felt why it is called a boot.
About the front, Big bumper mean more plastic means more cost cutting. When you open the bonnet you feel as if you are open a lid of a drum not a bonnet. You dont have the Curve in front of the bonnet.

That was my feeling. Please dont take wrongly. Over all it cost 4.83 On Road for High End Version. TOooooooooooooo Much

Last edited by Sowmya : 16th December 2008 at 00:03.

Most Viewed