Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2008, 08:55   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Another small input from my side.

Test drove the A-Star on Saturday and found it pretty convincing.
From the outside, the space in the rear looks cramped, but when you sit inside, while someone is driving, I found the space pretty much enough.

For spark, with P/S, will cost you 3.52L. A-Star Lxi costs 3.82L with all goodies.
Test drive the A-Star as well before you hit the hammer.

Everyone thinks that its the other way round - from outside the rear looks good..but when u step in, something makes you feel like your trapped.. May be the rear is perfect for people with lesser weight (50-70) kg and shorter ( 4.5 to 5.2 feet) . One thing we all have to consider, spending close to 4 lakhs and no space.. this will make u regret forever..
Old 16th December 2008, 19:07   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsri007 View Post
Everyone thinks that its the other way round - from outside the rear looks good..but when u step in, something makes you feel like your trapped.. May be the rear is perfect for people with lesser weight (50-70) kg and shorter ( 4.5 to 5.2 feet) . One thing we all have to consider, spending close to 4 lakhs and no space.. this will make u regret forever..
I am 5'11 and weigh 90 Kgs . Same with my friend who was driving in the front.

Well, Its the best city car with occassional outstation trips within 200kms. Worth the price, when I conpare it to Spark which will cost 3.5L for the model with P/S, whereas A-Star Lxi base variant is 3.8L.

PS: I am not a die hard fan of A-Star, but when I cpmpare it with Spark, I found the A-Star better, even though the boot is slightly less than what spark offers, when A-Star is 30k more than what you pay for Spark P/S variant.

Others may have a different opinion.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 16th December 2008 at 19:12.
Old 16th December 2008, 20:14   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
I am 5'11 and weigh 90 Kgs . Same with my friend who was driving in the front.

Well, Its the best city car with occassional outstation trips within 200kms. Worth the price, when I conpare it to Spark which will cost 3.5L for the model with P/S, whereas A-Star Lxi base variant is 3.8L.

PS: I am not a die hard fan of A-Star, but when I cpmpare it with Spark, I found the A-Star better, even though the boot is slightly less than what spark offers, when A-Star is 30k more than what you pay for Spark P/S variant.

Others may have a different opinion.
May be its a better choice when compared to spark.

I am 98 kg 6 '2 .. I was driving 800 for 1 year. But its VFM for what it was priced ! Its not about " its ok i can manage" when u spend close to 4 lakhs !!! it should be comfortable when there are better cars in the same range ! Its a surprise to know that ur feeling comfortable in the rear... well as u said opinion differs !
Old 17th December 2008, 14:15   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am 98 kg 6 '2 .. I was driving 800 for 1 year. But its VFM for what it was priced ! Its not about " its ok i can manage" when u spend close to 4 lakhs !!! it should be comfortable when there are better cars in the same range ! Its a surprise to know that ur feeling comfortable in the rear... well as u said opinion differs !
Do you drive the car sitting in the rear?
Front seat space in A-Star can accommodate 100kg men with ease.
And if you are interested in rear seat only, look towards Indica/Getz. These cars are better for families. A-Star and Swift more suited for bachelors or young couples.
Old 17th December 2008, 18:12   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
And if you are interested in rear seat only, look towards Indica/Getz. These cars are better for families. A-Star and Swift more suited for bachelors or young couples.

What we usually do to check the rear space is pull back the drivers seat to the max. Thats what I did when I was checking the car standing inside the showroom. When I sat behind the drivers seat with drivers seat pulled back fully, I said to my friend 'Bilkul Jagah nahi hai, Maza nahi aayega'.
But when you go for a test drive, you realise that with the drivers seat pulled back fully, its difficult to drive. You then need to pull it a little in the front. Thats what makes the difference in the rear seating space.

I suggest you try it out next time you visit the showroom. Allign the driver seat to the perfect position for your driving and then try the space on the rear.
Old 17th December 2008, 19:24   #51
BHPian

Spark 1.0 PS and A-star LXI differ by 70k rupees. And definitely Spark is better than A-star for city

Spark being cheaper and offering better value for money. I will opt for it.
Old 17th December 2008, 19:34   #52
Senior - BHPian

Yes Between the A-Star & Spark even I would recommend Spark.

Just make sure you have good GM service in your City.
Old 18th December 2008, 08:34   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
good GM service in your City.
This is the most important part of this trend's discussion.
Old 18th December 2008, 08:58   #54
BHPian

as far as GM is concerned, i would prefer to wait and watch for 2-3 months to see how the parent company fares. in case they tank you will be in the position of Matiz owners when Daewoo went under. Even the A*S*S would disappear rapidly.

Spark as definitely superior to A* but that is not sufficient in this scenario.
Old 18th December 2008, 10:24   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

With respect to ur statement..A star in other words can be called as two seater !I never complained about front leg room.. Not necessary that one shd drive car from the rear if he/she complains about the rear spacing. Majority of people who spends close 4 lakhs for a small segment car wud also want to take thier family along. For 2 ppl its a good chioce. But sparks is anyday better for a four seater.
Old 18th December 2008, 14:45   #56
BHPian

A-star is not easy to drive in city.
- 1600mm wide. That means 110mm bigger than our most preferred city cars like wagonR/estillo/spark/santro
- high dash board and thick pillars which block 30% of the drivers view on the road. This is the most vital point for city driving
- mileage is not the big priority considering that A-star lacks rear space

On the other hand, A-star would be good for the highways. Infact its very good for European roads, which have big roads with long stretches.

So if you say city car. After wagonR/estillo/santro comes the new Spark.

About GM service. Tts 3 year parts and service warranty. That means you will also gets replacement of any part if it goes faulty. So 0 maintenance is true.
Old 18th December 2008, 15:04   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So if you say city car. After wagonR/estillo/santro comes the new Spark.

About GM service. Tts 3 year parts and service warranty. That means you will also gets replacement of any part if it goes faulty. So 0 maintenance is true.
I am confused, who are you referring to here, Isnt this Your thread on car buying?
Old 18th December 2008, 15:07   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
Spark 1.0 PS and A-star LXI differ by 70k rupees. And definitely Spark is better than A-star for city

Spark being cheaper and offering better value for money. I will opt for it.
I have chosen spark, and wanna emphasis that again.
Old 18th December 2008, 15:12   #59
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the update, The thread title has been updated too.
Old 18th December 2008, 15:27   #60
BHPian

Good decision.

You would enjoy big car feel when you would drive it, you feel that you are driving a solidly built car.

All the Best.

Drive safely.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks