Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2008, 13:19   #1
BHPian

A-star or Spark? EDIT - Finalized Spark

I am in a confusion between a-STAR and chevy spark. I have test driven both, and find A-star has more pickup, but little hard to drive in the city.

Anyone has serious thoughts, please share and let me decide
Old 9th December 2008, 16:27   #2
BHPian

Being a A-star owner, I would like to let you know that it is more of a Value for money and it carries the Maruti Brand name with it. I have had no issues with the car till now and it is a week old and has done close to 500 kms. It even stands up close to its claimed mileage.
Do look up: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...star-pics.html
and
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-tortured.html
Old 9th December 2008, 17:07   #3
BANNED

Hi Ritz, A-Star is a newer car & a Maruti, so after sales would be top quality.
Also as Memo a user of A-Star just mentioned that there are no issues with the car & mileage is also good, so go in for A-Star.
A-Stars dashboard is a little high for short drivers, but should not pose a real problem.
Old 9th December 2008, 21:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

No brainer this.
A-Star, without any second thoughts. Only thing is, its costly compared to the Spark (which in itself is great VFM product).
By the way, you neither mentioned your requirements, nor the maximum budget. Please take more time to put your question in detail.
Old 9th December 2008, 22:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
No brainer this.
A-Star, without any second thoughts. Only thing is, its costly compared to the Spark (which in itself is great VFM product).
By the way, you neither mentioned your requirements, nor the maximum budget. Please take more time to put your question in detail.
sorry, I dint describe my question. I like good city driving car which give good driver comfort. Also, I like to keep it for lots of years to come. I considered spark because, matiz cars are still running and serve as proof for their build quality and after market service availabilty.
Old 10th December 2008, 09:52   #6
BHPian

ritx you cannot say the quality is good as Matiz is there from a decade on roads. Maruti 800 is also there on roads more than a decade. It largely depends how the car was maintained. You need to consider the service center and the usage as both the cars are VFM
Old 10th December 2008, 10:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

A no-brainer, Spark for me!

It is a more car per car (sorry Tata for stealing that slogan!).
Old 10th December 2008, 10:26   #8
SYJ
BHPian

Hi, pls state what excatly are u looking fo in the car, it'll be easier for others to give u advice based on that.
Old 10th December 2008, 12:14   #9
BHPian

I am looking for city commute 80% and 20% of my driving will be highway. Now I have A-star option open too. The driver comfort is good in A-star.
Old 10th December 2008, 12:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Safety factors at a relatively cheaper price would be the A*.

If you want to have fun when you drive and decent build quality with good space (definitely better than the A*) choose the Spark. Decent mileage of 13-14 is what I know of.
Old 10th December 2008, 13:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
I am in a confusion between a-STAR and chevy spark. I have test driven both, and find A-star has more pickup, but little hard to drive in the city.

In the current market scenario, I would choose the A*. Also, since you would be doing some amount of highway driving, a Maruti makes more sense as it is easy to find Maruti service centers almost anywhere in India.
Old 10th December 2008, 15:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for city commute 80% and 20% of my driving will be highway. Now I have A-star option open too. The driver comfort is good in A-star.
Ritz830, Now you have four in favour of the AStar, one for the Spark and one or two agreeing the Spark is good value. I know it can be confusing - I have been in your position.

My humble opinion - when you have two choices, both of which have plus points, just follow your heart and go for the one that appeals to you, without worrying too much about reasons. In this case, you can't go very wrong after all - one of them is an acknowledged value-for-money car and the other, even if it is still new, has the Maruti backing.

My impression from the tone of your messages is that you prefer the Spark. Am I right?
Old 11th December 2008, 08:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to buy new car in Mar-Apr next year, and shortlisted spark/A-star/i10

never experienced any of these, my heart says go for A-star.

I will surely test drive all these vehicles before deciding

Spark have an edge here when it comes to pricing, but A-star deliver good mileage figures(as per their claim)
Old 11th December 2008, 09:19   #14
BHPian

I would back SPARK

Quote:

Hello Ritz,

I would back SPARK, as its a value for money, i have owned it for almost a year + and i havent faced any negative yet.

My height is 6'0" and i get easily accomdated in the drivers seat, leaving enough rear leg room to accomodate an adult of 5'6".

It has a lot of room inside, it looks a small car from front and rear, but just take a side look of it and you would know what i am talking about.

It feels solid on the road you dont reallyfeel you are driving a small hatch, the build quality is better then A Star, i have done 16500kms but no rattles yet, that says it all.

Yes it may not have pick of an A Star, but that should not bother one, as we are not here to race.

The top speed that i have achieved in my SPARKY is 140+ kmph with 5 adults.

FE i get is 14-15 kms/l in city and 17-18 kms/l on highway with 100% AC.

Add another 2kms to figures if you dont use AC.

I have not a spent a single penny on any of the spares ( a power window switch was replaced free of cost as it had some scratches, the original cost is 1100rs ) or labour, all that i have to pay on a regular service is for the oil change and the normal service charges.

One day there was some noise from the surface of the car as i touched a big stone on a contruction site, so the silencer got moved from its place, it was repaired free of cost as they took it as manufacturing defect

Hope my inputs would be of some help.
Old 11th December 2008, 10:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

I will vote for spark because A STAR is not available for minimum 3 to 6 months.

Source : - Navneet Motor's Thane - Mumbai.

Most Viewed