Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2008, 23:37   #1
BHPian

indica vista quadrajet or Tdi / aqua or aura?

My Sister and brother in law are on the look out for a new car and after checking out all the hatches, we have decided to go for the Indica vista quadajet Gala Red color.

Things going for it
1) Space and interior quality feels better
2) Quadrajet diesel engine ( for its allround capabilities)
3) Less pricey than its competition ( swift, getz and fusion)
4) Immideate availability and delivery.
5) Decent and fresh looks.

Things not going for it
1) No safety features on offer( ABS and airbags )
2) Alloy wheels not presnt in the top end variant ( costs!!)
3) Tail lamp could have been designed better and is the sore part of the design

Quality, Service and Maintanence costs are something to look out for and i have read many forum members feel that TATA is constantly improving with time on After Sales Service.

The on road prices in Bangalore at Concorde Motors ( opposite Christ college) after todays reduction for
a) Aqua Quadrajet: 5.25Lakh ( front doors power windows only, dual tone interior with shades of grey)
b) Aura quadrajet : 5.54lakh ( All 4 doors power windows, Integrated 2 din Mp3 player( is it decent enough?) ,rear wiper, body colored mirrors, driver seat height adjustment,rear fog lamps, 60:40 split rear seats, dual tone with grey and beige interiors)

I have the following confusions

1) I am not a big fan of the Beige color and was wondering whether the additional features are worth the price difference. Should I go for the Aqua or the Aura.

2) Can anbody please let me know whether i can bargain for dealer discounts though the dealer has told he could give some discounts on the accessories. If anybody has got it raise your hands and let me know

3) Any tips on what to look out for during the car delivery and how to treat the diesel car initially is most welcome as we are used to driving petrol cars.
Old 11th December 2008, 00:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

differences between the aqua and aura

rear foglamps - if the vista is like the older indicas , the rear foglamp is already there in all taillamp clusters. you just need to connect it , and add a switch on the dashboard ( aura probably has switches for it on the control stalks) - worth 1k or so
LED tail lamps - not a big diff
body coloured door handles. orvm's , rub rails - suggest you leave the rub rails black, rest can be painted at 1.5k
external antenna - dealer should be able to fit ( no idea about price)
beige interiors, silver gear knob - matter of taste
power windows for rear doors - cost ~7k
Stock ICE - worth ~10k. buy if you dont plan to spend a lot on ICE, else fit aftermarket
adjustable height, side support for driver seat, 60:40 split on rear seats. cannot be added at a reasonable cost - if this is important , buy aura
rear power outlet - matter of convenience. not usually used
rear wipers - cannot be added at reasonable cost. again, if important, buy aura
warning buzzers - be careful instead
Old 11th December 2008, 13:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
LED tail lamps - not a big diff
Actually there is.

LED lamp lights up instantly as soon as the brake pedal is pressed.
The bulb lamp lights up a fraction of a second later and so there is a little time lag which can have important safety implications during sudden braking.

Earlier, all models of Indicas came with LED central stop lamp. Since the part was relatively expensive, the lower models have been coming with bulb lamps for some time now, as a cost-cutting step.
Old 11th December 2008, 13:19   #4
BHPian

i went for Aura mainly because I wanted height adjustable driver seat (no more sitting on cushions and driving for my wife!) and rear wiper/defogger.

other minor but significant requirements were rear power windows, 60:40 rear seat, warning buzzers and beige interiors (a change after 5 years of grey).

ICE is good enough if you are more into soft/classical music. I needed the extra bass and so I added an amp and two powerful rear speakers (on a custom tray).

but above all I had earlier made up my mind to go only for top end fully loaded variants in any car i opt for

if these are not very important, then Aqua fits the bill perfectly.

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 11th December 2008 at 13:20.
Old 17th March 2009, 13:56   #5

Indica Vista Aqua Tdi Or Quadrajet?

Hi Everyone.....
Read All The Reviews About Indica Vista Aqua Tdi, But I M Really Confused About The Engines Should I Go For Quadra Or Tdi.
I Had Visited The Tata Showroom In Jalandhar Punjab.

The Salesperson Told Me That The Only Difference In Aqua Tdi And Quadra Is The Engine........rest The Interior/exterior And Features Are Same In Both.

So Guys Could I Shred 53000 More For The Engine Is It Worth For Me.....

As I Would Be Driving The Car For Business Tours Thats Usually Around 300 - 400 Kms In A Day.......

Please Help Me......

This Would Be My First Tata Car.......not For The Diesel
As I Am Having A Skoda Ambiente And A Alto ....

And How Are Tata Rated For Their Service...

The Showroom Price Is
Aqua Tdi
Aqua Quadrajet
Old 17th March 2009, 14:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

only you can decide for yourself. TD both, see if the difference is driveablity is worth the amount. the TDi is a less refined , less powerfull and less fuel efficient engine ( whats used in the current indigos) , but its also a more rugged engine - it can tolerate abuse and bad fuel more than the quadra engine. Tata service is better than skoda, but not as good as maruti
Old 17th March 2009, 14:41   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punjabiessence View Post
As I Would Be Driving The Car For Business Tours Thats Usually Around 300 - 400 Kms In A Day.......
thats too much of kms in a day...

Quadrajet would be any day better than TDI.
Quadrajet (1.3 multijet from FIAT) is technologically far superior than TDI, in terms of mileage and NVH. The parts though are bit costlier than TDI (filter etc.)

You would get a very refined engine with Quadrajet as compared to TDI.
Old 17th March 2009, 15:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punjabiessence View Post
...So Guys Could I Shred 53000 More For The Engine Is It Worth For Me.....

For one person it might be worth it and for another it might not be.
In Bangalore the difference is 70k. I didn't think it was worth it and went in for the TDi.

I dont find any problems in driving the TDi. I drive about 50 kms(about 3 hours) in bangalore traffic and dont find much difference b/w Tdi and any petrol car.

The mileage I get in City is 14.5, I dont think the QJD can better that by a huge margin.

If you take the TDi and the QJD on the highway, I dont think you will find much difference and both should perform equally.

The QJD is more torquier and I am not sure how much that helps. Some say that you dont need to press the accelerator and it will climb a slope or you dont need to change gears that frequently.

But I dont mind changing gears at the right time and love to press the gas pedal whenever I can . So for me the 70k doenst make much sense because at the end of the day you are getting a tata car and how much difference does an italian heart make? After all a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Cheers,
Nitin
Old 17th March 2009, 15:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

The Quadrajet is a gem of an engine. But is costlier to buy, costlier to maintain and one has to be very careful of the quality of diesel. the difference in FE (QJD gives more FE than TDi) shouldn't be more than 2-3 kmpl at the most.

If you actually drive 300-400 kms a day , then the Quadrajet will impact your wallet by 10% better efficiency. If you drive yourself, the QJD can be a real pleasure on the highway, more than the TDi. If your're driven, go for the TDi... turbo kick is not for passengers.

OT: This thread should be in "What Car" section
Old 17th March 2009, 17:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

For your usage (300 to 400 kms a day), the extra money shelled out will break even very soon with the Quadrajet. Plus you get a more refined and modern engine.
Old 17th March 2009, 17:12   #11
BHPian

If you drive by yourself and have daily running of around 300-400 kms, I guess Quadrajet model is better. It has a far better driveability. Take a TD for both cars and you will notice the difference.

There is only a Marginal difference in FE with Quadrajet being better but then again, the difference is just about marginal.

I guess that leaves behind the most important question: Affordability. While there are people who would sacrifice 60,000 extra bucks for better drive, there are others who find the same a rather preposterous idea.

You must decide for yourself if better driveability, smoother engine (it is a CRDi at the end) and better performance are the kind of luxury you can afford, then Quadrajet is the best option else TDi will suffice your prime requirements.
Old 17th March 2009, 21:59   #12
BHPian

considering the difference in the cost i feel that the tdi is the best value for money car when compared to quadrajet. i have test driven both cars and i found that refinement and nvh levels in the tdi also are comparable with quadrajet but not at par. however the nvh levels in the tdi are also acceptable and the tdi engine from tata is tried and tested and less expensive on maintenance. moreover the tdi engine is now mated to a gearbox from fiat so the results are quite good. my suggestion go for the tdi. go for the quadrajet only if you want the top end with rear power windows, rear wash and wipe etc

Last edited by patil : 17th March 2009 at 22:00.
Old 18th March 2009, 19:28   #13

hey thanks 2 u all.......
really got some good suggestions from the team bhp memebers. Thats why i trust u guys.
and what do you mean by nvh levels?

i visited the tata showroom they told me that if u buy ur car in march u ll get a discount of 5000 rupees and if u go for april there will be no such scheme and they are not sure about the price of the car will it increase or decrease....

does someone has any idea about the price change in april. and the booking time is 10 dats for arctic silver............

thanks for ur suggestions guys......i am going for a tdi vesion. and could u suggest me about alloy wheels and tyre size which one should i go for.

thanks a lot......

regards
punjabiessence
Old 18th March 2009, 20:41   #14
BHPian

Ask your salesperson what their stand is on putting on alloys/upsizing. You really don't want to have your warranty voided because you upsized.

And upsizing is useful only if you care about the looks a lot or if you want your car to handle better during cornering... but then the vista's not the car you'd wanna corner fast in - the suspension's too soft and there's waay too much body roll.

You could get 14" alloys and just use the stock wheels or you might upsize to 185/60 R14 tyres but remember that any increase in the width of the tyre would decrease your mileage and top speeds - both of which would be serious considerations for someone who travel's as much as u do.
Old 18th March 2009, 21:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

nvh = Noise, Vibration,Harshness.

i imagine you will need 14 inch, 108 PCD 5.5/6J rims.

the stock tubeless tyres are okay, especially if you are getting bridgestone tyres.

as nukeblitz said , check with the dealer if it is okay to upsize your tyres, and if he says there will be a problem, double check with a tata authorized service center.

since you are getting an aqua, i imagine the dealer may also tell you that you will lose your warranty if you fit a stereo/speakers from outside. That is also not true. provided you get it installed from a good installer using a wiring harness , and dont cut any wires, there will not be an issue

Most Viewed