Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2009, 20:38   #31
Senior - BHPian

hey. all indicas are not THAT sluggish. the petrol ones and the turbo/dicors deserve an exception
You seem like a seasoned tata owner, you might already know this , but here goes
When you go to take delivery of the car, the salesman will ask you to fill a satisfaction form, and tell you that its a formality/ask you to fill it before you get the car. Do not do so.Wait until you recieve the car , and are totally satisfied with it, and hand over the form only at the end. Tata scrutinizes this form very carefully, so if you rate anything low in it, they will get grilled for it, so they ask most folks to fill it up initially, where most people will give good ratings, take the form, and then deliver the car with some issues, and thats when things get ugly, but the customer is helpless by then.

So make sure you dont fill/hand over that feedback form until the car is in your hand and everything is as you want it/if there are unresolved issues, make sure they reflect on the form.Its just a form with 10~20 checkboxes , but it matters a lot. I've managed to get very good results by holding the form at ransom when taking delivery

Last edited by greenhorn : 1st July 2009 at 20:41.
Old 1st July 2009, 23:44   #32
BHPian

Ofcourse But mine was a NA.
aND unfortunately, the dicor & turbo such as yours is no longer available. and one petrol car is enough. Dont know where the petrol rates would end. Need the oil burner this time.
i didnt know about the form though.
Shall keep that in mind this time though...
Old 1st July 2009, 23:49   #33
BHPian

Hi greenhorn
BTW Is there any way we can confirm whether the gear box on the Vista TDI is a a chain driven fiat unit ?
Old 2nd July 2009, 07:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

some folks have posted that the TDi uses tata's TA 65 box, while the quadrajet uses the fiat C510 box
Old 2nd July 2009, 16:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

yes me too have heard of that greenhorn, but not to very sure though.
Old 2nd July 2009, 17:04   #36
Senior - BHPian

bouncer had said that he'd confirm with a friend of his who works in tata's transmissions dept. he might know. he hasnt posted an update to that yet
Old 2nd July 2009, 19:26   #37
BHPian

Quote:
some folks have posted that the TDi uses tata's TA 65 box, while the quadrajet uses the fiat C510 box
Yes what greenhorn has quoted is correct Vista TDI doesnot use the Fiat C510 gearbox it uses the TA65 box which has a cable shift arrangement similar to C510(developed by FIAT). Benefit of this arrangement is that there are no vibrations on the gearshift lever (from my personal experience on my vista TDI). Also the gear shift lever requires more force than a Indica but the shift quality feels positive and does not feel rubbery like Indica gearbox. Regarding Vista TDI, yes it does feel sluggish in city till the time the turbokicks in, but at the sametime its not so sluggish that you will fall back in the race. Regarding Vista Quadrajet I would say Quadrajet is "Vista TDI after 2000 rpm (where the turbokicks in)" right from the start. The engine revs more freely, very less vibration and the pickup is superb. You really cant compare the two in driveability. Vista Quadrajet Terra is real value for money and one should pay the extra amount for the FIAT engine. Definitely its worth it. Also whatever the extra cost you pay for the engine is offset to some extent-Quadrajet needs 3.2 litre engine oil max and TDI needs 5.5 litres engine oil.Every time during service you end up spending more on the Oil costs. But yes Vista TDI is more tolerable to bad quality diesel than Quadrajet.
Old 2nd July 2009, 21:31   #38
Senior - BHPian

btw, a little bit of info. the C510 box is apparently called the C549 in india.
Old 3rd July 2009, 18:00   #39
BHPian

Thanks Amit & Greenhorn.
I posed the same question to tata Motors ( email ) , but no replay from them as yet.
BTW whats the Terra Quadra OTR mumbai ? Cant get that on the carwale portal as yet.
Old 9th August 2009, 08:58   #40
BHPian

Vista Terra Quadrajet Vs. Vista Terra TDi

Hello Friends,

I was planning to book the Vista Terra TDi this week and somebody told me about the Vista Quadrajet in the Terra trim level. The OTR price difference between the two is close to Rs. 50,000.

I can stretch my budget from approx. 4 to 4.5 lacs but the reason has to be very very very good. So now I am confused. Some of the plus points of the TDi are
1) proven engine
2) auto mechanics ready available

while for the Quadrajet the plus points are
1) Engine good but still very new so roadside mechanics may not be readily available
2) Better NVH

Folks, please help out.

Thanks,

K

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th August 2009 at 12:17. Reason: Please use search before opening a new thread, also please post in relevant sub forum. Thanks
Old 9th August 2009, 13:59   #41
BANNED

Is there any use for 60:40 split rear seats other than the use that we can fold it to carry more luggage ?
Old 9th August 2009, 14:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

skarthik, thanks to the swift diesel, enough mechs should know about the QJD engine as well. I feel that it is the better engine of the two, and if you CAN spend 50k extra for better driveablity and nvh - the priorities are for you to choose, then go ahead

@ mithun - Another use I've found is that you can put stuff in the boot sitting in the rear seat by folding the 40% portion forward (when putting it from the top is not possible due to the parcel tray)
Old 18th August 2009, 14:24   #43
BHPian

Hello friends,

Just booked my Indica Vista Terra Tdi, Cavern Grey!!!!!

Thanks,

K
Old 18th August 2009, 22:37   #44
BHPian

skarthik,

The Quadrajet engine is a much more modern diesel technology (common-rail direct injection) than the Tdi.
This means .. better driveability, better mileage, low nvh.

Please try to book quadrajet instead.
And your fears about mechanics is wrong. This quadrajet engine is currently in swift, palio, dzire, linea, punto. This is and will continue to be the best-selling engine in future.
Old 18th August 2009, 22:57   #45
BHPian

Yes, Neotraveller, I have found out all the good things about the quadrajet engine, even took a test drive. Unfortunately could not increase my budget for the QJD.

K

Most Viewed