Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 23:05   #1

Swift Lxi (CNG Fitted) vs Santro GLS (CNG)

Hi,

I am planning to by a new car in 2009. Since I will be travelling from Gurgaon to Delhi (approx 70 kms) daily, I am also thinking of getting CNG installed.

Zeroed down to Swift Lxi and Santro GLS. Which would be better?
Swift Lxi with dealer fitted CNG or the Santro with company fitted CNG.

Maruti dealer I talked to has good experience in CNG fitments.The dealership owner himself drives an SX4 with CNG and his manager drives a Swift CNG.It works well for them.

I asked an executive from the same dealer to inquire whether they fitted TAP along with the CNG kit. He asked the same to the actual fitters and they said that TAP isn't required bcz they do the wiring in such a way that the car's performance is not at all affected.

Now, I learnt about these technicalities (TAP,lambda etc.) from other threads where senior BHPians have shared their valuable knowledge.Everywhere I have read that TAP is required.

Now I am a little confused about the whole thing. Is there any truth in what the executive has said ???
Old 19th December 2008, 20:49   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolaxe View Post
Hi,

I am planning to by a new car in 2009. Since I will be travelling from Gurgaon to Delhi (approx 70 kms) daily, I am also thinking of getting CNG installed.
May be you can consider Swift LDI
Old 20th December 2008, 00:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjubaba View Post
May be you can consider Swift LDI
Hi,

Thanks sanjubaba, I have thought about that but have chosen cng because it is economical and a more cleaner fuel than diesel.

Can some one pls help me on the TAP issue which I posted earlier.

Thanks
Old 20th December 2008, 00:17   #4

I have decided to go for cng simply because it will be more economical than diesel.
Old 20th December 2008, 12:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

IMO its not worth wasting a Swift on CNG. You are better off with Santro CNG, which will not only offer you more peace of mind being factory fitted, but also will be more easier to drive in city due to better low end torque than the Swift.
Swift already is a pain to drive in bumper to bumper traffic, since the power and torque come at higher rpm. And with CNG, its bound to be even more painful. Besides, there are some good discounts going on the Santro these days.
Old 20th December 2008, 12:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have driven Swift with CNG, its still great to drive. I would say go with Swift, newer platform, better power, more space, more comfort and better resale. Go for Santro only if budget is an issue. I have both cars in my family and trust me when my driver comes in Santro to pick me up at the airport I am very dissapointed that he didnt come in Swift.
Of course as DCEite mentioned there are more gear changes and clutch use required in Swift due to taller gearing (not torque). But Santro feels out of breadth at 110 kmph and Swift can easily do 120-140 speeds. This is specially important as you would have NH8 in your daily drive. Swift feels well planted on highways and Santro can be rocked by any truck going past the car at good speed.
Old 21st December 2008, 07:07   #7
BHPian

Dude, . GO for swift man.

If you really find it hard to drive swift, then go for santro. Santro is good for the newbie.

Swift drives best in the experienced hands. Its an amazing performance machine.
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
Dude, . GO for swift man.

If you really find it hard to drive swift, then go for santro. Santro is good for the newbie.

Swift drives best in the experienced hands. Its an amazing performance machine.
Thanks Mate,

I drive a FIAT Palio curently so the Swift shouldn't be a problem.
Only concern is the performance with CNG ???
Old 22nd December 2008, 23:17   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolaxe View Post
Thanks Mate,

I drive a FIAT Palio curently so the Swift shouldn't be a problem.
Only concern is the performance with CNG ???

I heard about some differences between CNG and LPG

CNG reduces the torque of the car, while LPG maintains the same torque.

For more info, Compare the complete spec of cars with CNG and Cars with petrol to see the torque difference. I think they differ by 15%.
Old 23rd December 2008, 09:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Swift + CNG is a better combination then that of a Santro + CNG, reason being a superior Swift engine.

Cheers
Old 18th February 2009, 00:34   #11
BHPian

SO, which car you have bought? & Why?

Share some initial experience.
Old 18th February 2009, 12:35   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'd go for the Santro, simply because:

1. Factory fit is factory fit. Nothing comes close to the quality & standards at manufacturer level.

2. The Santro has superior lower end torque. This equates to superior driveability when on CNG.
Old 18th February 2009, 13:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd go for the Santro, simply because:

1. Factory fit is factory fit. Nothing comes close to the quality & standards at manufacturer level.

2. The Santro has superior lower end torque. This equates to superior driveability when on CNG.

I second that. I have personally driven a Santro CNG for 2 years in Delhi and nothing actually beats that - its a great city car with CNG on board. The low end torque would help in your commute and cruising too would not be a problem though the acceleration would suffer (a lil bit which you will notice).

Though I have not experienced the Swift with a CNG option I am sure it would suffer with CNG on board. The Swift power delivery is not liner and the power is only available at higher rpms - which is okay for cruising but not for city driving and traffic. And anyway the highway drive will suffer with CNG on board.

Plus you must understand the factory option of Santro CNG is tried and tested. Don't go the Swift route - take the santro instead.

PS: I am a fan of Swift but Santro CNG for your case is best man.
Old 21st February 2009, 09:20   #14
BHPian

Dude why do you want kill the delicate little swift petrol by doing 70 kms a day. It is known for rattling and not a good choice if you are considering to keep the car for more than 4 years as it would have done too many kms for a petrol car and would have taken too much of abuse and its build quality is not suited for such abuse.

I would suggest a sturdy diesel car for such heavy driving.

Last edited by revhappy : 21st February 2009 at 09:21.
Old 21st February 2009, 13:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

I would go for the Santro. A friend has done 50K on his Santro CNG. Its easier to drive and you'll get more FE in the Santro as compared to the SWift!

The lambda is a must on all cng cars! The kit will not be endorsed on the RC otherwise!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks