Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2008, 15:38   #1
BHPian

Advice for Swift VDi

Hi!

After a lot of thought and many changes of mind, I have finally decided to book the Swift Vdi. Team-Bhp has been amazing in this. Lots of information available to make a decision.
I am trying to get the VDi ABS, but still no word on delivery. (Being told 12 weeks!!! )

I drive between 1800-2200 kms per month...so diesel makes sense. Though the immediate availability of Petrol has put me in a dilema!

A lot has been written about the Swift, so I apologize if I am repeating the questions. I just need an experienced second opinion on my thoughts before I put down my money. A few things that I plan to do before I start using the car
  1. Upgrade the Rubber: this will be done immediately. I am looking at 195/65 on 14" Alloys.
  • I would like some advice on whether 195/60 R15 would be a good upgrade? It is within the Rolling Radius limits, so it should not damage the suspension; but does it compromise comfort too much? Would a fully loaded car be a problem with R15 wheels. Handling is important since I am on Highways at least once a week. (Typically drive to Pune, Nashik, etc.)
2. Petes Box:
  • When is the right time to install this? Should you wait till the car run-in period is over?
  • Any potential long term problems, like engine overheating, damage to turbo or fuel pump?
  • Any restrictions on duration of use? I remember reading somewhere on a team bhp forum that it is not recommended to drive continuously at high speeds with a Petes Box installed.
  • Any issues of exhaust smoke?
  • Can someone please direct me to a good dealer in Mumbai??? The possiblity of this modification is what has made the Swift DDiS even more appealing for me.
3. Is the Swift a capable, stable car for highway driving? I have never used a Maruti, but I have never been very comfortable in a Maruti at speeds over 80 km/hr as a passenger.
Also I am a little fussy about the car making unusual noises – like a rattling dash, doors, etc. How does the SWIFT hold up in this area?

The car I test drove was fine and seemed well put together. I was impressed with the handling though; great chasis I think. But there are repeated mentions of flimsy build quality…I did not find it flimsy; the car is quite heavy. Is this something to be worried about?
I am using a 2002 1.2Elx Palio presently; needless to say, Stability is not an issue at all.

I was really hoping to get my hands on the Linea (since I have a budget of abt 8L), but I don’t want to wait any longer and my last service experience for the Palio has left me shaken.

All in all, I have more or less decided on the Swift Diesel.
Once again, Moderators - please excuse the repeated questions, since this is a much discussed topic all over.

Thanks
Old 29th December 2008, 19:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya79 View Post
Hi!

After a lot of thought and many changes of mind, I have finally decided to book the Swift Vdi. Team-Bhp has been amazing in this. Lots of information available to make a decision.
I am trying to get the VDi ABS, but still no word on delivery. (Being told 12 weeks!!! )

I drive between 1800-2200 kms per month...so diesel makes sense. Though the immediate availability of Petrol has put me in a dilema!

3. Is the Swift a capable, stable car for highway driving? I have never used a Maruti, but I have never been very comfortable in a Maruti at speeds over 80 km/hr as a passenger.
Also I am a little fussy about the car making unusual noises – like a rattling dash, doors, etc. How does the SWIFT hold up in this area?

The car I test drove was fine and seemed well put together. I was impressed with the handling though; great chasis I think. But there are repeated mentions of flimsy build quality…I did not find it flimsy; the car is quite heavy. Is this something to be worried about?
I am using a 2002 1.2Elx Palio presently; needless to say, Stability is not an issue at all.

There are no stability issues with Swift. Its a bit boomy in interior and skittish, but with rubber upgrade the problem gets solved and the nice chassis of Swift comes to surface. Swift is a very capable highway car.

Swift chassis is safe, but the interior fit and finish is not upto mark and hence rattles. But its not an unsafe car, and rattles are something one has to live with. However, not everyone has faced the rattle issue.

Regarding tyre query, IMO, you will find the answer here :Tyre & Alloy wheel Section - Team-BHP

and about the pete's box, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ted-swift.html

Last edited by aaggoswami : 29th December 2008 at 19:40.
Old 29th December 2008, 20:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Diesel makes sense for you to buy as the usage is more and +1 to what aaggoswami has said in above post. Moreover, I feel most of the itme you will be alone using the car. In that case swift makes sense. Otherwise, the RR leg room and the boot is less compared to the competitors in its category.
Old 29th December 2008, 20:58   #4
Team-BHP Support

Given your budget, I think Getz diesel would make more sense for you. Point number 3 is the Swifts biggest weakness :(
Old 29th December 2008, 21:48   #5
rippergeo

No stability issues till 160kmph.
Brakes well from this speed provided one is not turning the steering at the same time.

It rattles like hell. Doesnt bother me though, have done 25k kms on it, and have not tried to get the rattles fixed yet. Just turn up the stereo.

Between the Getz CRDi and the Swift-
If you like corner carving- its the Swift.
For the highways- the Getz is unbeatable

The swift comes with ABS,Getz doesnt.
If you can manage to wait that long, good! I couldnt(they told me- 1 Yr!!!!) 12 weeks wait for an ABS is tooootally worth it. Please do wait!

PS- Only my doors rattle. Everything else still feels solid which is surprisingly good for a maruti. I do not brake for any of the potholes or speed bumps that comes in my way, and the suspension is still holding up which is agin, quite good for a maruti.

BTW- some suspension mods and better tyres will make the Getz a very good handler too, but seat of the pants feel while taking a corner... i'm not so sure.

Old 30th December 2008, 07:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Actually, if you've survived the Palio - why not try out the Fabia? They were mentioning some TMP too. Except costing, it has got it all.

Fun otherwise in every way, and doesn't rattle, has ABS/airbags etc.

Mentioning only because you got the budget.
Old 30th December 2008, 07:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

I'd also suggest you check out the getz crdi - its an amazing car!
Old 30th December 2008, 14:34   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Satya, all of your queries have been discussed at length before. Please search within the forum archives.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks