Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2009, 09:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

I10 1.1. irde OR 1.2 kappa?

Hey Guys,

Need your expert advice on this.

My better half is planning to buy a new car, and given the fact that she comes from Goa, where traffic is not the horror that it is in Bangalore, she is looking for a car that is an easy city runabout with the occasional out of town trips. We have more or less decided on the i10, after also having considered the A-Star, Swift, Santro, Alto, and Spark (which she already has in Goa).

Now my dilemma is choosing between the 1.1 irde powerplant and the 1.2 Kappa. I am all for the Kappa engine, being the power-hungry BHPian that I am but would like your advice on what the pros and cons of the 2 engines are. I believe the 1.2 Magna engine is priced around 40k more than the 1.1 (Era), from the qoutes given by Advaith Hyundai.
I shall be driving the car 50% of the time, since she is not charmed by the state of Bangay roads, lol!

So folks, which one should it be- 1.1 or 1.2? Priorities are: Good ride, Power, Fuel Efficiency and ease of driving, in that order.

Thanks in anticipation
Arindam.
Old 9th January 2009, 10:12   #2
BHPian

Kappa all the way !

Go for the Kappa engine you get 20% more power over IRDE and also better FE, its a more advanced motor. In the long run resale of Kappa would be higher than IRDE. For 40K more i think its good VFM.
Old 9th January 2009, 10:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

If you are strictly driving in city limits and plan to sell off the car within 3-4 years, go for the 1.1 IRDE.
The reason is that the IRDE feels more peppy in the city thanks to a better drivebility in lower gears, specially 3rd gear. You don't really feel want for power unless you hit the highways, where the 80BHP Kappa obviously does better. However, being an old engine, i doubt if it will be able to meet future emission norms. Kappa engine is already E-V complaint. So if you are planning to keep the car long term, go for the Kappa. Also, top end variants with all the bells and whistles are available only with the Kappa engine.
Old 9th January 2009, 10:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

1) If the car is going to do duty on city roads for more than 80% of time, go for 1.1. Smaller engine, but is better as compared to 1.2 for city duties.

2) If you are going to use the car more, then test drive both and find out which is better for you, but as primarily as you are not buying the car for yourself, ask your better half to TD both 1.1 and 1.2.

3) 1.2 is a better all-rounder and infact the engine is almost perfect for the size of the car. Much better for highway driving.

I will suggest you go for 1.1. Good for city driving, more FE ( although not significant ) and less capital cost involved.
Old 9th January 2009, 10:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

1.2 anyday man.

Its only 15k more if I recall right. And well worth it. Take the fully loaded safe version.

PS: Why not the spark?
Old 9th January 2009, 11:16   #6
BHPian

OT: An AT would be a boon in our city, so see if you can afford one? Not sure if it is offered in both the versions
Old 9th January 2009, 11:48   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Without taking any parameter into consideration ( that's exactly how i bought a Kappa), i would recommend the Kappa.

When you have already honed down to an i10, why are you even thinking of an older engine?
Old 9th January 2009, 11:53   #8
BHPian

i10 Kappa

TD both the variants and then decide. Personally i would suggest you to go for the 1.2L Kappa. Why wouldn't you want to drive a car with newer technology and features.
Old 9th January 2009, 11:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

Thanks for your inputs. Well, as for the automatic, its a strict no-no since neither I nor the lady like the staid feel of an auto box, apart from the higher price considerations. Shes a pretty enthusiastic driver herself, so I guess the manual tranny is the way to go for her too
The Spark is out, for the reasons that she already has a Spark back home in Goa, and secondly I dont trust GM service as compared to Hyundai, which i gather is quite decent, and thirdly, the looks are in favour of the i10, both exterior and of course interior too.
On road price for the Magna 1.2 is quoted ar 4.57, while the 1.1 Era is 4.3. For 30 k more the 1.2 seems to be a good deal. What do you think?
My heart says 1.2, since we plan to take it out for highway trips as well, and simply because the 80 horses sound really good to me for a car of this size. I shall be doing the test drive over the weekend.

Another question is whether Advaith Hyundai (residency Road) is a good dealership for Hyundai? Or is Trident (Sankey Road) better? What is your experience, Bangy Hyundai owners?
Old 9th January 2009, 11:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

drove a kappa..it has potential. recommend kappa.
change the airfilter and tyres if you are buying they suck!!
kutlee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2009, 12:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

@mobike: Yes I was only thinking of the older engine because of the price difference, but then I found out that it was just about 30k more. So I am all for the 1.2. Lets see what the lady has to say. AM hoping she goes with my thought process
Old 9th January 2009, 12:04   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Go by what aggoswami said. I too suggest the 1.1 it's not under powered by any means for city use, the low end torque is very good.
Also there is no evidence yet that 1.2 gives more FE than 1.1, infact some report the opposite!
Old 9th January 2009, 13:02   #13
BHPian

BTW, are you not getting some good deals on i10? I believe you should at least get insurance free and few freebies. DO ask!
Old 9th January 2009, 13:11   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Hey guys,

Another question is whether Advaith Hyundai (residency Road) is a good dealership for Hyundai? Or is Trident (Sankey Road) better? What is your experience, Bangy Hyundai owners?
I say try Trident. I know one person. He helped me in getting getz at good price. Earlier i went to Residency road and the deal was not very good. Need help of that number PM me. Ask for goodies etc at Trident they easily give rather than Advaith. This is my personal experience.
Old 9th January 2009, 13:15   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Arindam, check my thread for details on the deal that i got for a 1.2 Kappa ( Magna Variant). Hope the list of freebies can give you an idea how much you can twist the dealer's arm.

Infact, aim for a higher freebie list

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks