Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2009, 23:20   #1
BHPian

Best Hatchback upto 6.5 lakhs

I need a good hatchback for mainly my city use. My budget is upto Rs.6.50L. A Diesel would be preferred but that is not a compulsion . some nice features like ABS and integrated stereo system would be welcomed.. my annual run is about 15000-20000 km. my main stress is on driving comfort and performance. based on my above requirements I short listed i20 asta, Swift Zxi and Swift Vdi(highly inclined towards Swift Vdi though but wish it had features like that of the Zxi ). I feel fabia is not a VFM car.

what do you people suggest?
Should I wait for the jazz or the grande punto ? till when are they expected to be launched ?
do tell your choice from the presently available cars also.
Old 22nd February 2009, 23:40   #2
BHPian

Also consider the Getz CRDi. It isn't feature packed as the Swift Zxi but has a beast of an engine.

Edit: Just noticed that you need a car for city driving. IMO Swift VDi would be the best option.

Last edited by live2drive : 22nd February 2009 at 23:42.
Old 22nd February 2009, 23:46   #3
BHPian

From your list & as u are driving only 15K-20K / year, my choice would be i20.

Swift (the most famous rattling car in the world)
Fabia (the most famous expensive to keep car in the world)

Both of above will not suite your likings.

i20, new, good interiors, Hyundai reliability, will be perfect for you. (though its expensive).

Try for a i10 Automatic also. Its a great car, and you will love the automatic in the hectic city driving.

At this price you can get a good Sedan also.

Jazz will be worth to wait, but don't expect it below 7 lacs!!!

Punto, IMO not worth to wait, because its Fiat, you never know when they will launch & when they will repair!!!!!

Last edited by loving_alaap : 22nd February 2009 at 23:50.
Old 22nd February 2009, 23:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Also consider the Getz CRDi. It isn't feature packed as the Swift Zxi but has a beast of an engine.

Edit: Just noticed that you need a car for city driving. IMO Swift VDi would be the best option.
I own a verna crdi sx as well so I know the engine pretty well.. but i really dont like the looks of getz. rather u can say i hate them. So that is not even an option.
Old 23rd February 2009, 00:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Swift (the most famous rattling car in the world)
one of my friend has got the swift and he has got the rattling problem solved by padding etc. so if we dont consider this problem then how do you go about it ?
as far as the i20 is concerned I have heard that its not that much fun to drive as compared to the swift vdi . and what about the FE of i20 and swift ?
Old 23rd February 2009, 00:31   #6
BHPian

and I completelty forgot about the i10. what about the i10 automatic. ? how does it fare up in the competition ?
Old 23rd February 2009, 00:32   #7
BHPian

Vista is also a good car. I just bought one and I am really in love with the car. Never thought TATA can deliver such a good car.

Why is vista not part of your list. It gives everything that you need with space more than that of all the cars listed (Fabia n i20 are exceptional as I have not compared the interior space of Vista with these.)

Regards,
Kailash
Old 23rd February 2009, 00:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Vista is also a good car. I just bought one and I am really in love with the car. Never thought TATA can deliver such a good car.

Why is vista not part of your list. It gives everything that you need with space more than that of all the cars listed (Fabia n i20 are exceptional as I have not compared the interior space of Vista with these.)

Regards,
Kailash
tata cars are not for me. I cant rely on them and neither can my dad. and moreover I dont think an Indica fits into my scheme of things..
Old 23rd February 2009, 08:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Considering your running as above 1.5k kms. IMO a diesel car would be good. Try the Swift VDi. It suits you the best. I know rattles are not the best thing to have, but the chassis is pretty competent.

Second option is going in for the Tata/Fiat cars, but its already out it seems. Then Swift diesel and Getz diesel are the only options available. If you are not going to use the car extensively for highway runs, go for Swift VDi, the Getz is very powerful and for city driving the power will not be used and I think it is slightly more expensive than Swift.
Old 23rd February 2009, 09:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

As suggested by others , i too would say go for a diesel hatchback. My two cents wait for the Fiat GP. It looks like a tempting package & if priced well could surely be bang on the buck. i20 Crdi too is on its way - But price!!!! If you could wait for few months then go for GP.
Old 23rd February 2009, 09:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

If you can spend on some wider tyres (and alloys if needed) and can either spend money on padding or live with the rattles, the VDi is a very practical car. You would love the way the engine responds.

If you dont like rattles and waiting periods go for the i20.

I suggest you also have a look at the U-Va before making a decision. Its a very capable under estimated car.

Last edited by gemithomas : 23rd February 2009 at 09:45.
Old 23rd February 2009, 09:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

If you want to wait. THe optons might be numerous and the wait might be long. But with info right now i think the wait for the jazz and GP might just bturn out to be worth enough.

Last edited by gemithomas : 23rd February 2009 at 09:44.
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:07   #13
BHPian

Go for the VDi. It does have rattles and has no safety features (ABS is optional) but then which car is perfect?

TATA / Fiat may not have the best after sales.

Skoda Fabia may be a great car but it is slightly overpriced and after sales service is below par.

Getz Prime CRDi seems closest to the VDi but IMO the Swift VDi with all all its cons offers a better overall package and it is only the Maruti after sales service which makes all the difference!
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
Go for the VDi. It does have rattles and has no safety features (ABS is optional) but then which car is perfect?

TATA / Fiat may not have the best after sales.

Skoda Fabia may be a great car but it is slightly overpriced and after sales service is below par.

Getz Prime CRDi seems closest to the VDi but IMO the Swift VDi with all all its cons offers a better overall package and it is only the Maruti after sales service which makes all the difference!

Swift VDi and Getz CRDI both are equally suiting your needs, but Swift VDis have some known problems like rattling, but Getz owners are comparatively a happier bunch ..

You can look for a Palio also .. There are many palio lovers around, who can guide you well ...
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:15   #15
BHPian

Both the Hyundai i's (i10 & i20) are great buys and are more comfortable than Swift. Swift though appears to be huge hatch, has cramped interior especially the rear seat and boot.

If automatic is an option go for i10 AT. Hyundai should get i20 Automatic as well. India is now ready for AT and I have seen quite a few i10 AT on the roads.

Most Viewed