Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2009, 23:22   #1

i20 or Vista

Friends, I am planning to replace my Santro in April. My driving is around 600-1000 km a month in city only. I am looking for a spacious, comfortable, frugal, reliable car with good build quality and have selected Hyundai i20 and Indica Vista Quadrajet Aura. Both are available for 5.1 lacs on road in Kolkata. I do not want to go for Swift as I do not like its shape and dark interiors. Please advise me which one will give me troublefree ride for atleast 5 years.

Thanks.
Old 3rd March 2009, 16:45   #2
BHPian

If you have decided the options, than i20 should be your choice.

As your monthly running is limited, the vibrating diesel is not worth for you.

Enjoy the petrol i20 that have excellent interiors & great space.

Also a Hyundai is know for its reliability & super *** (Unlike TATA).
Old 3rd March 2009, 16:51   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousikorama View Post
Friends, I am planning to replace my Santro in April. My driving is around 600-1000 km a month in city only. I am looking for a spacious, comfortable, frugal, reliable car with good build quality and have selected Hyundai i20 and Indica Vista Quadrajet Aura. Both are available for 5.1 lacs on road in Kolkata. I do not want to go for Swift as I do not like its shape and dark interiors. Please advise me which one will give me troublefree ride for atleast 5 years.

Thanks.
I would also advise you to wait for the Fiat Punto and Honda Jazz which is planned to be launched in Jun/July. It might be worthwhile to wait till that time. Do not make a decision in a hurry and wait till the mid of this year.
Old 3rd March 2009, 16:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Kousik,

With a range of 600-1000 kms, its definitely advisable to go in for the i20. It fills all your said requirements. It will also save you the higher maintainence costs of a diesel motor.

Besides, Tata cars tend to keep sprouting small niggling problems (a rattle here, a non-functioning windshield washer there) after a few years. Hyundais are much more trouble free. I have one of each, so I know.
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:00   #5
BANNED

Vista Quadrajet is a good choice, its frugal & now contemporary too.
Vista should serve you good for ~ 5yrs. Though for long term reliability, Tata is not well known, solely for long term purposes, i20 will certainly stand out.

But Swift strikes a good compromise between frugalness & troublefree, if you can overlook the interiors part.
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Indica Vista is loaded with very good improvement in TATA's stable but i20 is class above and I recommand i20 for sure!

Vista is no match to i20, you will love your decision of buying i20.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

i20 it should be(reasons had been given already). Jazz will be overpriced as like other honda products. Vista Quadra wont be good for you as your monthly kms dont demand a diesel.
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:43   #8
Team-BHP Support

Had I been in your place, I would have picked up the i20 without an iota of doubt. Much more reliable and you get the bells and whistles too. You don't need the diesel.
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Between the two, i20 is a much better car. Has good build quality, looks good and hyundai a.s.s is dependable.
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:59   #10
BANNED

In these times of recession/slowdown, frugal is the way to go, if you are getting a good diesel car at petrol car price, grab it.
In lieu of i20, you can save cash by opting for i10 Kappa, it shares its engine with i20.
Old 3rd March 2009, 23:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

If your running is just around 1K i think you can go for the i20. Moreover the TATA might give you some niggling issues which might be disturbing if you are looking for a trouble free car. Moreover the service costs for the quadrajet might be higher than the kappa.

An alternative would be the U-Va. Its very spacious and the 3 year service warranty is an added advantage.
Old 4th March 2009, 14:36   #12
BHPian

your running does not require a diesel unless you are a torque addict like me

if you can afford an i20 go for it.

If you were impressed with Vista Quadrajet Aura, i am sure you would love the Vista Safire Aura. its petrol (Fiat's FIRE engine), fully loaded, costs <4.5 lakhs on road and would be economical to own. IMO, its the best VFM premium petrol hatch considering its interior space, looks, features and the killer price you pay.

i have tested it and its perfect for city driving in heavy traffic if you are not a performance enthusiast (in which case even i20 wouldnt fit the bill).

Tata A*S*S has improved by leaps and bounds over the years and i speak from experience having own a trouble free V2 for 5 years before i went for a Vista QJD!

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 4th March 2009 at 14:42.
Old 4th March 2009, 14:42   #13
BHPian

go for it

i20 it should be, without doubt
Old 5th March 2009, 19:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousikorama View Post

Thanks.

Both, i20 and Vista are equally good in terms of being spacious and comfortable.

Vista is obviously the more frugal of the two, but your kind of usage i.e. 600-1000 kms. a month doesnt make any sense for a Diesel. i20 being a 1100Kgs.+ Hatch, mileage of 11Kpl in city isnt bad either.

Finally, when it comes to Reliability, Build Quality and trouble free ride for years, Hyundai is amongst the best in the industry. Though, i20 being recently launched, should not be an exception for Hyundai.

So, IMO it has to be the i20 for YOU.
Old 5th March 2009, 21:02   #15
BHPian

Not sure if monthly running is the right parameter to consider between diesel or petrol. Especially when the price of the cars is the same.
Only if there is a price difference of say 1 lac then should you consider monthly running, for example, in case of swift. Still, In Bangalore I see some 10 VDIs for every VXI.

If you considering the i20 magna and the Vista qjd aura the on road price is the same. i20 will give you an FE of about 10 at best(because i10 with same engine gives 12) and compare that with the QJD that will give you atleast 15-16. So even if you drive say 1000 kms a month you will save about 2300 Rs every month on fuel costs.

And must I say which one is more fun to drive, for that the entire team bhp has gigabytes of information.

The only areas where i20 scores over the Vista are
1)Boot space
2)Interiors ambience
3)features that come with it.

But the most important things for me in a car are Price, space, performance and FE and in all these the Vista is better than the i20.
Hence, I think it is a no brainer. It must be the Quadrajet.

Cheers,
Nitin

Most Viewed