Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2009, 20:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

I suggest i10 or Spark both are being sold with good discounts right now. i10 has better ride compared with Santro. I don't know about i20. I prefer i10 because its good package.

With better soft tyres like Michellin, yoko ride will improve very much. I used to hate my ride quality of Alto but moment I baught it I went for stock size Michellin I can see huge differance.

Hyundai ride is bit hard after travelling in multiple cars I can say that by experience.

Ravi.
Old 13th March 2009, 20:20   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
The only problems I'm facing is a stiff clutch, which may be due to my driving style. Need to check it in my upcoming service.
In the test car i too noticed that the clutch was very hard in the i10. I then saw a few new i10s and tried the clutch and found it hard. The salespeople said it's apparently like this only and no one complained. The i20 clutch on the other hand is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Also yaar since it is a car primarily for your parents I believe Comfort should be your most important criteria (rather than performance or looks or other things). With that perspective why dont you consider the outgoing NHC! I know its a sedan and you want a hatch but look at it like this. You can probably get a NHC Exi for a price close to i20! (NHC Gxi is available for about Rs 7 lakhs OTR here in Delhi). What you get is a superemely reliable car with great creature comforts (whether front seat or back). And if you are gonna hire a driver than I would say look no further than NHC! You cant go wrong with Honda!
Correct. Honda is Honda. I'm a proud owner of a 1.5Exi OHC! However dad doesn't want to buy a sedan. We already have a couple. And as i mentioned earlier, this car will have to fit into the parking at the back of my building which can only accommodate a hatch. i20 also may be a tight squeeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Tejas

First off there is a huge difference in the pricing of the i10 auto and the top end i20. The i20 is insanely overpriced and underpowered too. You can get the i10 Sportz for around 5.4 on road in Mumbai. I checked last week since I had gone to the showroom. Its the perfect city car for your dad with the ease of the AT box. We are considering the same car for my mom and dad in the future instead of another sedan.

Stick to the i10. You wont go with it.
I'm not looking at the Asta. It's ridiculously overpriced. Considering the magna. Dad doesn't need power. He needs comfort. I drive the OHC and won't drive the i20. Dad will never take it above 60kmph. This regular speed of driving is 40kmph and that too for 5kms to work. Thus the absolute must of ABS & EBD is somewhat nullified.
Since i am gonna shift dad to a chauffeur very soon, i decided to go against the AT and i10 in terms of space. I would have considered a sedan but we have parking issues.

They have quoted 5.57 with extended warrantee bombay registration. Getting around 10,000 worth free accessories which i need to choose.

Is anti-rust coating a must in these new cars? Should i get that done as a freebie?

EDIT: @ ravibhat, no GM cars for us. I am planning to change the tyres of the i20 if we go for it. Magna tyres have a smaller footprint. Guys can this be upgraded to 185/195 by 15/60? Alloy options also needed.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 13th March 2009 at 20:24.
Old 13th March 2009, 20:57   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

I'm not looking at the Asta. It's ridiculously overpriced. Considering the magna. Dad doesn't need power. He needs comfort. I drive the OHC and won't drive the i20. Dad will never take it above 60kmph. This regular speed of driving is 40kmph and that too for 5kms to work. Thus the absolute must of ABS & EBD is somewhat nullified.
Since i am gonna shift dad to a chauffeur very soon, i decided to go against the AT and i10 in terms of space. I would have considered a sedan but we have parking issues.

They have quoted 5.57 with extended warrantee bombay registration. Getting around 10,000 worth free accessories which i need to choose.

Is anti-rust coating a must in these new cars? Should i get that done as a freebie?

EDIT: @ ravibhat, no GM cars for us. I am planning to change the tyres of the i20 if we go for it. Magna tyres have a smaller footprint. Guys can this be upgraded to 185/195 by 15/60? Alloy options also needed.
Excellent choice dude. And I think you are absolutely right about not considering Chevy cars (be it Spark or UVA) right now. GM's future is in doldrums and there is no guarantee that they'll survive. Its better to avoid them right now.

I am also considering i20 Asta for myself (most likely booking one this week). I have very similar requirements (comfort rather than performance) and was sold on NHC CVT but I couldnt get one for acceptable price (One dealer here quoted me 7.8 OTR for CVT (thats basically the ex-showroom price - so a discount of 65k) but it was white in color - not acceptable to my would-be!) Too bad Honda has discontinued such a great car. I settled for i20 Asta as it has the bare minimum safety features (ABS/Airbags), good build quality (same car is sold outside as here) and Hyundai peace of mind.

Please do post your initial feedback as you get the car.
Old 13th March 2009, 21:26   #34
BHPian

Tejas, I would urge you to consider the i20 Magna.

Yes, it is over-priced, and under-powered, but would satisfy your parent's needs.

It is spacious, has a light clutch, a very light steering, and better suspension when compared to the i10 or santro.

Since it would mainly be used for city driving, they do not need an engine which is a road-rocket - the i20's engine is good for sedate driving.
Old 13th March 2009, 21:49   #35
BANNED

Hi,

We have a santro and like your dad my dad too is reluctant to sell it off.
You people would not belive it our santro has done 1,94,500+++ Kms (God i know where all we travelled in that car) with a overhauling @ 90000 Kms and it is still going on and on.....it a 1999 model zipdrive top end car(really forgot the variant)

I happened to test drive the i10 when i was planning to buy a car (landed up in my favorite swift VDI white ;-))

The I10 is too good and is far better that santro.my advice is go for the i10 or have a look at fabia 1.2 HTP once (if your budget allows you).

i20 is expensive for the engine what it has,had it been a 1.6 or even 1.4 i would advice you to go for it.

So what i wanted to tell you is Hyundai has proved that Koreans too can give good cars and better service that some luxury brands.

so 1st choice is i10
2nd is fabia 1.2
3rd vista
4th i120
5th getz
6th indigo CS

Last edited by joshguy : 13th March 2009 at 21:53. Reason: wanted to add more points
Old 14th March 2009, 12:23   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

A good night's sleep can really clear one's head.

So thinking over the options regarding i10 and i20 last night, i have finally reached a conclusion.
I was initially too impressed with the space and features of the i20. However, this car is going to be for dad. His main requirement is small car. And i wish him to drive an automatic now. He's nearly 64years old. And if he wishes to change to a driver soon, i can always get him a new car after a year.
Also need all safety features.
Thus, i have only one option for the i10. The Asta AT. I know it is a bit overpriced but what to do? They are giving discounts of 30k without negotiating. Thus, i can maybe get a better deal once i sit on the table. Waiting time is 20odd days.
Guys, what max tyre size upgrade can i do / rather should i do?

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 14th March 2009 at 12:34. Reason: typo
Old 14th March 2009, 14:39   #37
BHPian

Congrats Tejas for you have finally decided to go for an i10 and it is the best decision.

I am late in replying to this thread, nevertheless my two cents.

All the pros and cons have been listed here and i agree with the suspension bit. The ride is bumpy specially on concrete roads. I felt this specially when i was trying to apply my lipstick and the slight bumpiness ruined my application.

My i10 is almost 8 months old and have done my recent trip to Mahabaleshwar and it was fun to drive. It gave me around 17 kmpl in this trip with half A/c and half Non A/c driving.

I am sure you will never regret buying i10.

Mansi
Old 16th March 2009, 00:23   #38
BHPian

hey congratz dude!
good decision made.

i td both the cars after i sold my petra and found i1o kappa to be better and fun to drive than the i20 though the latter has rich interiors.i too was contemplating on the i10 kappa sportz but then came across a used vdi in good condition and booked it just yesterday.
one more thing that i noticed in the td was that the beige dashboard reflects on the wind screen and its damn annoying man.
Old 16th March 2009, 11:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Tejas! Nice choice!
What is the on-road price of i10 AT?
Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
The ride is bumpy specially on concrete roads. I felt this specially when i was trying to apply my lipstick and the slight bumpiness ruined my application.
I hope you were not driving that time.
Old 16th March 2009, 13:18   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Tejas, have a look at Chevy Spark too.
I had similar confusion. i20 was out of my budjet though. I ended up buying a Aveo U-VA and believe me its worth for its price. Now that you have decided on i10 AT, Its a very good car. You Dad would love it. Congrats
Old 16th March 2009, 13:49   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Congrats Tejas! Nice choice!
What is the on-road price of i10 AT?

I hope you were not driving that time.
Lol. No FP , I wasnt driving at that time, my hubby was.
Old 16th March 2009, 13:59   #42
BHPian

Lets make it simple.

Both cars are good.

If your dad has difficulty in driving in Bombay traffic (hectic driving) than go for i10 Automatic.

If your dad is ok with gears, & price no bar than obviously its i20.
Old 16th March 2009, 14:04   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Thus, i have only one option for the i10. The Asta AT. I know it is a bit overpriced but what to do? They are giving discounts of 30k without negotiating. Thus, i can maybe get a better deal once i sit on the table. Waiting time is 20odd days.
Guys, what max tyre size upgrade can i do / rather should i do?
Hi Teajs the i10 is a good pick for city driving..Congrats !! Are you planning to upgrade the tyres with alloys ?? if yes i would suggest you to upgrade to 175/70/R13. Pls do post pics of the car once you take delivery !!
Old 19th March 2009, 10:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

For an elderly relative - self drive I bought the i10 and for another elderly relative - chauffeur driven I bought the i20 magna. Your problem is that you want best of both - ain't gonna happen. And if in any case your Dad is not going to go over 60, what is point of upgrading tires on either choice? Probably you will opt for i10 simply because the i20 is as wide as OHC, wider than NHC and you may have a daily parking problem on your Dad's hands.

My suggestion is - if parking is a problem, then i10 Asta AT - your Dad will not want a chauffeur. If you do feel the chauffeur is a given, then i10 Asta MT. The back seat comfort is quite good.

The i10 beige dashboard glare - either you can get used to it or buy dashboard cover from the market - costs about 300 - and comes with sticky velcro, mobile holder. Looks like sh** but serves the purpose and improves the AC as well.
Old 19th March 2009, 12:25   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
The i10 beige dashboard glare - either you can get used to it or buy dashboard cover from the market - costs about 300 - and comes with sticky velcro, mobile holder. Looks like sh** but serves the purpose and improves the AC as well.
That's indeed a problem !!. I guess i have now got used to it !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks