Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2009, 16:05   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
In my experience, i didnt find the suspension as hard as Subbu is describing and shouldnt be compared with a Santro's suspension since the Kappa is way way ahead in everything when compared to the santro ( including suspension).
Its not so hard, sorry for over-explaining it. When compared to other cars like Swift, Palio (which I have driven) its bit hard. And mobike's feedback is exactly same as my friend's feedback who also own a Santro.
Old 13th March 2009, 16:07   #17
BHPian

Hi Tejas,
I will not repeat all the good things i10 users had to say.
My additions:
1) Engine is very much Refined i.e., Less Noise, Vibrations and Harshness.
When the car is stationary at the Signals, i just dont feel any vibration
when i place my palms over the gear Knob! Outside environment sounds are significantly cut down if you have rolled up all your windows( I wouldnt say it is super silent though!). I reached a top speed of 150kmph once. The car started to show some harshness only after the 130kmph mark. Till then it was very confident( This could be the i10s biggest advantage over Santro)

2) Ride is not as bumpy compared to Santro. It is pretty good handler of pot holes at even moderate speeds( < 50 kmph), but i wouldn't say the ride is very good. Getz is better in that aspect.

3) Mileage is satisfactory.

4) Handling is good during cornering at 60-70 kmph.

5) I have not given too much importance to the tires. I am ok with them.

But, the most important point is that its a pleasure to drive that beauty. I just crave to drive it everyday. Its super smooth and easy to handle in a frustrating city like Bangalore .

For comparison purpose, I have driven my Dad's old Santro(Santro LP > 6 years old). In all respects, it is better( even the ride/suspension). It is altogether in a different league( with due respects to Santro! Mind you, Santro is a good car!)

Some negative remarks:
There is significant drop in power when the AC is ON( Its a super-chill! AC though! Cooling is very good.)

Given the mixed reviews of i20, i would suggest you to go for i10 Sportz or Asta( for ABS and EBD). The stock music system and speakers are good! So no worrying about them.

Overall, a truly great car!

Go for it dude!
Old 13th March 2009, 16:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
I dont own a Santro or i10 but i drive both (friends car). Based on my experience-
i10 is a completely different experience than santro.
Handling is quiet good. IMO its quiet perfect for your dad as per the requirements you mentioned. i20 is overpriced and not worth the money you are spending for same i10 engine.
Old 13th March 2009, 16:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

We have an i10 Sportz auto in the family and I would recommend it as a very well built car that is also great fun to drive. There's very little to find fault with it.

However, considering the fact that you're looking for a driver in the near term, the i20 may be a better alternative. Yes it is slightly underpowered,but you were also willing to consider the Reva for this purpose - I understand that your dad is a sedate sort of driver. Therefore the i20s weakness may not apply in this case and therefore you should look at the positives as well.
Old 13th March 2009, 16:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbusos View Post
Vista Qudrajet is a good car but not suits Tejas' requirement, since the driving is just going to be 10 km per day. It will become a dead investment which should not be made in these recessionary times...

Vista Saffire may be another choice, but got to get adjusted with its underpowered engine. Otherwise Saffire is good choice and VFM.
The point is - dont buy a car with just your present requirement in mind. .. buy it with a broader idea of how your requirements might change in future as i already mentiond in my earlier post
Old 13th March 2009, 16:53   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

UPDATE:
Just went with dad to TD both the cars. i10 feels more powered than the i20 for sure (obviously). However, the feel of the i20 (space, interiors, seating position, suspension) is much better. Dad said he doesn't care about either car and i can make a choice. He did lean towards the i20, his only apprehension being that will he be able to maneuver the car in the tight spot behind the building. So we have called the car home to check that part out.

Till now it seems that we may go in for the i20. Dad also has agreed to be chauffeured around so that's a good sign.

The i20 Asta is however, ridiculously overpriced! The difference between the asta and magna being 1lakh +!. I have always been an advocate for safety but for airbags and ABS, i think it's too much. Especially with the car being driven 10kms max daily in the city only. Other details are minor like alloys (which design i didn't like anyways), ipod connectivity, climate control, electrically retractable mirror, steering audio control, etc.
Guys, do you think it's worth a lakh more?
The i10 sports and i20 magna come around to the same price although the i10 has a discount of 30K which the magna doesn't give but i think i can wrestle in a lot of accessories.
So, honest opinion from you guys, for my dad who drives sedately and will soon be driven around, who only wants a hyundai car should i go in for i10 or i20? Both cars have immediate delivery.
Someone in some other thread had also said that the i20 will have poor resale compared to the i10. Why?

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 13th March 2009 at 16:59.
Old 13th March 2009, 17:02   #22
BHPian

Immediate delivery on the i20? I think that must be for the Magna, the Asta i20 has significant waiting period with most folks reporting 4-6 weeks. Please reconfirm this with the dealer.
Old 13th March 2009, 17:17   #23
BHPian

@Tejas
i20 Magna has 4 weeks waiting and i20 Asta has 10-12 weeks as conversation ith someone in A1 Hyundai and mentioned Airbag Shortage/Problem. Also i have heard that they have not been able to meet export targets for i20, hence the delay. IMO, just my view, they have plonked the i10 engine into the i20, and it does feel a lot less powerful. I myself am in this dilemma and i am inclined towards the i10 AT as its a pleasure to drive. I am selling my Accent Viva for the AT but for a different reason altogether (ease of driving and parking for Mom & wifey in rickshaw infested Bandra West, Bombay, Viva 4.2m --> i20 4m --> i10 3.5m). And i don't know why but i have a feeling that Hyundai will come out with a more powerful engine for the i20 (a la i10) in the next few months after their diesel i20 launch. My thoughts....
Old 13th March 2009, 17:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbusos View Post

Strict NO NO to i20 because:
1. Heavily priced - this is the first and foremost important reason
2. May be underpowered due to the power to weight ratio
3. Extra features which we dont actually need... (for e.g. cooled glove box, electric mirrors)
i20 and i10 clearly belongs to different categories and hence there is no comparison. The -ve points mentioned above are quite incomplete and clearly not based on a TD experience. i20 is in a different league altogether and much bigger and sedan-like than i10 when it comes to space, handling, equipment levels etc. It has wider track and longer wheelbase than Verna.

Pricing of i20 is a bit high, but then it has to be compared to cars in that space rather than i10. Even then it clearly beats Swift in terms of handling, build quality and equipment levels. Needs a bigger engine to make best use of the body though. But then for i10 kappa the same engine will be underutilized. If extra features is an issue, i20 Magna is the best bet. Just get a set of alloys and you are good to go.
Old 13th March 2009, 17:37   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

The biggest problem is that there is something majorily wrong with my santro and various independent mechanics and the A.S.S. have verifed that they will need to open the engine and check and it will be a major expense.
In exchange for the santro, i am getting 1.3lakhs for a 2002 secoond owner car which i think is good.
I would have loved to wait for the 1.4L engine but i have a dilemma. Need a premium hatch with space. What to do? Fabia is a strict no no!
Guys comments?

EDIT: They have a black i20 magna in stock for delivery. Asta will take 5-6weeks

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 13th March 2009 at 17:39.
Old 13th March 2009, 18:01   #26
BHPian

My i10 (1.1) is about a year old and I think it is the best choice I made......ok, ok, I do regret that I was not able to book the i10 Kappa (not yet released at the time of my booking).

I think the pros and cons are already mentioned. I initially disliked the looks. But now I smile everytime is see my car (Ya, I'm biased! ) I love the AC and drivability (ease, comfort and maneuverability for city driving).

The only problems I'm facing is a stiff clutch, which may be due to my driving style. Need to check it in my upcoming service.

I personally think an i20 would be more suited for your dad as he will have better space and comfort and is not too particular on the power. If the i20 fails the space test at your building, then I suggest the i10.
Old 13th March 2009, 18:11   #27
BHPian

@Tejas
You want a premium hatch agreed, but think in the long run, will you like to buy now and repent later. the car is no doubt impressive, i liked it a lot, but seriously think about the lack of power. I was really excited for the first 2 days after i test drove it, but better sense prevailed. The other issue is that Dad is keen on the i20, hell he's keen on the ANHC AT, lol. but i'm pressing on for the i10 AT as it will be more useable at home (The Viva has done less than 10k's in 5 yrs). Fabia is a strict no no, as maintenance would be as expensive as a Civic or Accord and with the number of horrendous experiences on t-bhp, its not advisable. If you can live with the good interiors but lesser power overall, go for it. The deal i'm getting is i10 AT Magna, 4.58 on road thane (LOADED with free accessories; still can bargain); i20 Magna 5.38 on-road thane (No freebies). But listen to both, heart and mind.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 13th March 2009 at 18:14. Reason: typo error
Old 13th March 2009, 19:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

i20 is different league to i10 really. Its baseless to compare the two. I test drove the i20 and it doesnt feel underpowered or anything in city drive. Went upto 80-90 kmph quite easily and was able to overtake vehicles with ease. I also was able to drive at 30 kmph in 5th gear! There was no knocking or anything at all! The cabin is superb, lots of frills that can make journey comfortable (think of cooled glovebox or electrically retractable ORVMs - both quite useful in India). If the car is not to be used for drags then i20 is seriously better choice than i10. i10 is a hugely overpriced car from Hyundai!
That said, make your own choice based on your own likes and dislikes.
Old 13th March 2009, 20:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

Also yaar since it is a car primarily for your parents I believe Comfort should be your most important criteria (rather than performance or looks or other things). With that perspective why dont you consider the outgoing NHC! I know its a sedan and you want a hatch but look at it like this. You can probably get a NHC Exi for a price close to i20! (NHC Gxi is available for about Rs 7 lakhs OTR here in Delhi). What you get is a superemely reliable car with great creature comforts (whether front seat or back). And if you are gonna hire a driver than I would say look no further than NHC! You cant go wrong with Honda!
Old 13th March 2009, 20:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

Tejas

First off there is a huge difference in the pricing of the i10 auto and the top end i20. The i20 is insanely overpriced and underpowered too. You can get the i10 Sportz for around 5.4 on road in Mumbai. I checked last week since I had gone to the showroom. Its the perfect city car for your dad with the ease of the AT box. We are considering the same car for my mom and dad in the future instead of another sedan.

Stick to the i10. You wont go with it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks