Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2009, 17:41   #16
BHPian

Why is your friend considering cars that have almost lived their lives. The UVA although a fine car with a slightly under powered engine has never taken off. The Getz prime looks dated when put side by side with the i20. The 1.6 Palio is another car which has only seen buyers who love to enjoy each time they take off from the stop lights & want to see other cars trail behind. The Palio might also loose its sheen once the GP is launched some time mid this year.
However if he's looking for handsome discounts & does not bother about resale value then the Palio 1.6 would be a good buy.
Shanty - Fabia 1.1 is just in his reach, but is not worth at the given price.
Old 25th March 2009, 12:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
i dont see much UVA at least in bangalore. so according to me, given the success of GM in India, my choice would be between getz and palio. at least tata and hyndai A.S.S is more reliable than GM.
Why pay more to GM when u r getting a better/peppier engine for much less.
is ABS is a must ???( personally dont think so)
Aveo is not yet decided. It is one of them in the shortlisted list of his. I explained him about Getz & Aveo are not a big hit. ABS is must for him
Old 25th March 2009, 13:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Why is your friend considering cars that have almost lived their lives. The UVA although a fine car with a slightly under powered engine has never taken off. The Getz prime looks dated when put side by side with the i20. The 1.6 Palio is another car which has only seen buyers who love to enjoy each time they take off from the stop lights & want to see other cars trail behind. The Palio might also loose its sheen once the GP is launched some time mid this year.
However if he's looking for handsome discounts & does not bother about resale value then the Palio 1.6 would be a good buy.
Shanty - Fabia 1.1 is just in his reach, but is not worth at the given price.
Hi Maverick,

He claims that the UVA\ Palio\ Getz are spacious and not a crampy as compared to i10, astar and other hatches in this segment.

He also considered fusion, fabia, swift and came to a conclusion that the cars are bit more over priced and for the fords and skodas the maintenance cost would be very high.

He says that swift, i10, astar are like a big sized soap box - so he removed it from the list after the TD.

Test drive thoughts

1) Palio - No dealers is responding to our TD request. Called them numerous times. I guess they are busy marketing linea's

2) i10 - Hyundai is giving good response and talking to us frequently (This is why people say *** is good for hyundians)

3) AStar - I would say the sales guys is not trained well as compared to others. Some lack of professionalism (No offense)

4) Chevy Aveo (sundaram) - Good and professional. He explains with respect and quality.

5) Ford Ikon - Would say they should develop some skills to attract their customers

His budget is strictly around 5.5 and he is speculative in terms of A.S.S of the fiats

Thanks,
Pradeep
Old 25th March 2009, 14:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepdayanand View Post
Hi Maverick,

He claims that the UVA\ Palio\ Getz are spacious and not a crampy as compared to i10, astar and other hatches in this segment.

He also considered fusion, fabia, swift and came to a conclusion that the cars are bit more over priced and for the fords and skodas the maintenance cost would be very high.

He says that swift, i10, astar are like a big sized soap box - so he removed it from the list after the TD.

Test drive thoughts

1) Palio - No dealers is responding to our TD request. Called them numerous times. I guess they are busy marketing linea's

2) i10 - Hyundai is giving good response and talking to us frequently (This is why people say *** is good for hyundians)

3) AStar - I would say the sales guys is not trained well as compared to others. Some lack of professionalism (No offense)

4) Chevy Aveo (sundaram) - Good and professional. He explains with respect and quality.

5) Ford Ikon - Would say they should develop some skills to attract their customers

His budget is strictly around 5.5 and he is speculative in terms of A.S.S of the fiats

Thanks,
Pradeep
IF "ABS" is a must then Palio is first out of the list. If not, then also I doubt you might get a Palio 1.6 Sports for a TD since its not a high selling car. You might find a 1.1 or a 1.3MJD for a TD/Display. Try your luck with other dealers too. Not everyone would be same. Try contacting a T-BHPian who owns a Palio Stile 1.6 in your area for personal TD. You get a TD + feedback too

With ABS requirement from your above list, Aveo/U-Va is the only option left! But within a 5.5 budget, the ABS option would still be question mark!

Since TATA has taken over FIAT service, it has improved and effective in responding to complaints. I strongly suggest if interested in Palio Stile 1.6/Aveo/U-VA, please go through the threads of the owners for reviews and feedbacks of services rather taking comments from those who never owned them, Simple!

Cheers~
Old 25th March 2009, 15:48   #20
xPK
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Maverick,

Test drive thoughts

Thanks,
Pradeep
Indeed, if your friend isn't kind of guy who falls for horses, palio is not recommended.

In my opinion he should consider i10 (1.2) or swift. "doesn't like the looks" is definitely not the reason to go for u-va or getz. And if it has to be from u-va and getz, I would say getz.

It might be like ,
but I didn't understand, if your friend is looking for u-va (1.2) or getz(1.1), why he is to picky about ABS? (I can also see he isn't hungry for horses)
I'm definitely not saying ABS is useless though. (do I dare?)

If I have to be in his shoes, I would go for "Swift VXi + ABS". That would be best VFM for his requirements.
Old 25th March 2009, 17:47   #21
xPK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPK View Post
If I have to be in his shoes, I would go for "Swift VXi + ABS". That would be best VFM for his requirements.
Oops I forgot to mention that if he's ready to drop ABS, Indica vista is also a good option. Do ask him to get some hands behind vista's steering as well.
Also it's way inside his budget. (can spare some decent amout for ICE, alloys and stuff)
Old 25th March 2009, 21:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

I've owned a U-VA and am very happy with it.
Although I had a problem with one of the shock absorbers it was replaced free of cost (including 1 tyre which was worn out due to this problem).
I've heard that the new U-VA released a few months ago is even better.
My friend has a 1.3Getz prime with ABS and I have travelled in it and driven it a few times.

1) Car should be a bit more spacious than i10
Getz has a bigger boot, but U-VA has slightly more cabin space and seating seems more comfy in the U-VA
2) Decent mileage
U-VA gives slightly better mileage. I get about 2 kmpl more than my friend
3) Good A.S.S
Hyundai has a much bigger and better network and seems more reliable. With Chevrolet your individual rapport with the dealer plays a big role.
4) Reliable
Both the Getz and U-VA don't seem to be very troublesome cars though.
5) Should include all the safety features
High end on both has ABS and U-VA has airbag option while Getz does not.
6) Budget around 5.5 Lakhs
The high end of both should be a little more than this but with discounts it should fit in.
7) only hatch back

About Palio Stile 1.6
The car is built strong and is really awesome to drive and has enough space. Mileage is lower and also no ABS or airbag option.

I seriously think that the i20 should be reconsidered by your friend - its a great looker and has lots of options and goodies - and a new engine and is a new model.

About your specific queries about the U-VA

1) How much would be the maintenance cost for UVA?
Take the three year cashless ownership package and your maintenance cost will be zero
2) Quality of service in chennai?
In Trichy they are slow but do a good job. They're quite honest, need a little reminding but doa lot of favours like pick up and drop of car during service and even gave me a substitute car for a weekend when a job took longer than expected. Like I said before, getting friendly with them is very useful.
Hyundai has better network though and lot of their spares are manufactured around Chennai - so faster services and repairs if any.
3) Is UVA VFM?
To me it is!
Old 25th March 2009, 21:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

I would surely suggest the U-Va if your friend is not worried about the current status of GM, the number of cars you see on the road and the comparably less coverage of service centres. The car is real good and the 3yr service warranty makes it real value for money. My friend who owns one is getting a consistent 13-14km/l in city with a/c. Its not a thrilling experience driving it but power is adequate and the engine is very smooth and silent. The interior space is uncomparable though the boot space is not that great.

If your friend loves driving and wont mind some xtra power under the hood always, the average service capabilities, and the sarcastic looks from friends and relatives (till they have been in the car) he could go for the Palio 1.6 which is the real VFM car at that price. The power and performance is uncomparable. Its got ample space inside and in the boot too.
Old 25th March 2009, 22:03   #24
BHPian

I would suggest the Getz 1.3 Model.
Reasons:
1) Huge discounts 2) Good , reliable and proven car 3) Spares wont be a difficulty to find and costs will also be reasonable.
For the other two cars spares and service are the only problem which I foresee and these problems can really become a big problem once you own the vehicle.
Old 27th March 2009, 12:59   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPK View Post
Oops I forgot to mention that if he's ready to drop ABS, Indica vista is also a good option. Do ask him to get some hands behind vista's steering as well.
Also it's way inside his budget. (can spare some decent amout for ICE, alloys and stuff)
Will request him to TD indica, how did I miss this in my suggestion -

Thanks,
Pradeep
Old 27th March 2009, 14:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

The Palio 1.6 doesn't have good resale, great A.S.S., ABS/Airbags and a cushy low-speed ride. If these things are important, stick to the U-Va.

The Palio does have space (I find Getz, U-Va, Palio almost similar in space) and offers almost all features except ABS / Airbags. Also has a chiller for AC. If driven properly and not ripped all the time, it should give 9-10 kpl in city conditions.

At 4.5 odd lakhs OTR Delhi, the Palio 1.6 is quite well-priced, considering the Getz 1.3 GLS is almost 5.4 lakhs OTR here. The GLX (with ABS) is almost 5.6 lakhs here.

For sheer driving pleasure, it leaves the other two contenders far behind.

Last edited by architect : 27th March 2009 at 14:36.
Old 27th March 2009, 15:24   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
IF "ABS" is a must then Palio is first out of the list. If not, then also I doubt you might get a Palio 1.6 Sports for a TD since its not a high selling car. You might find a 1.1 or a 1.3MJD for a TD/Display. Try your luck with other dealers too. Not everyone would be same. Try contacting a T-BHPian who owns a Palio Stile 1.6 in your area for personal TD. You get a TD + feedback too

With ABS requirement from your above list, Aveo/U-Va is the only option left! But within a 5.5 budget, the ABS option would still be question mark!

Since TATA has taken over FIAT service, it has improved and effective in responding to complaints. I strongly suggest if interested in Palio Stile 1.6/Aveo/U-VA, please go through the threads of the owners for reviews and feedbacks of services rather taking comments from those who never owned them, Simple!

Cheers~
Per your suggestion, I will request him to go through the reviews and come to a conclusion.

Thanks a ton!!
Old 30th March 2009, 11:05   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
You seemed to be a hugh Getz fanboy.

If you say U-VA is a unsuccessful model so is Getz too. Both are handful in numbers on the road.

Have you owned a Palio and serviced with TATA-FIAT recently or U-VA serviced with GM to comment like that?

Fine, they may not be like Hyundai or Maruti A.S.S but no way to term 'avoidable'. As for FIAT and GM, they are pretty responsive to resolve the issues.This i say after my recent 2nd service with TATA-FIAT when minor problems were unresolved and immediately the dealer took care of in the 1st complaint itself.

Please don't generalize if you haven't owned these cars.
LOL .... in 2008, in Bangalore .... UVA sold nearly 500 cars whereas Getz Prime got sold for nearly 2700 cars .... I dont have the data for Palio but I am sure it wouldnt be more than a 1000 .... Swift sold for around 6500

So if 500 and 2700 are similar number then yes they are handful. Getz is a very successful car in Australia and Europe. UVA sold a lot in US.
Now coming back to the topic, I own a Getz Prime 1.3 GLS and I am mighty pleased with its performance and stability on road at high speed and its space. Palio 1.6 is also another very powerful vehicle, driving pleasure is great. UVA is a bit underpowered if compared to Palio and Getz. I had driven both UVA and Palio too.
Since I own it, I know in and out of this car. So I would point out the advantages and disadvantages of this car.

Advantages

1. Powerful engine .... great pickup .... even 140 kmph is is smooth, never tried above that.

2. Huge space .... it actually more than UVA(I had compared all the spacious hatchs - someone said UVA has more space, thats incorrect).

3. Good boot space with 60:40 split

4. A.S.S. is awesome

5. Interior are good, dual tone beige with wooden(plastic) finish.

6. Gear shifting is like makkhan(butter)

7. Good AC

8. Power windows(with controls given to driver side door), remote locking, and many other accesssories provided.

9. Last but not the least, very decent looks. The no nonsense looks.

Disadivantages

1. Mileage - in city you might not get more than 11-11.5 kmpl. Highways you might expect upto 16.5 kmpl. I went to Chennai and came back that's around 700+ kms ... I was able to get that mileage.

2. I think this car would be phase out in a year or two as i20 is in.

3. The interiors are good but they could be better. Like the plastic wooden finish doesnt look too great, the 1st appearance looks good they you get bored. The AC vents can be made to look more stylish than those squarish shape.

4. parts or repair are not that cheap if compared to say a Santro or a Swift but the difference is not that great either.

Personally if you ask me to rate it in a scale of 1-10, I would give it 8.

UVA and Palio are also good cars it depends on what is your actual requirement. A car selling less doesnt make that car a bad car. Its the thinking of people in a particular area or country that changes the buying behaviour of a car, the 'herd' mentality is too common. Infact no car is a bad car. Please let me know if you have any more queries on Getz Prime.
Best of luck on your car buying spree
Old 30th March 2009, 12:26   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvadips View Post
LOL .... in 2008, in Bangalore .... UVA sold nearly 500 cars whereas Getz Prime got sold for nearly 2700 cars .... I dont have the data for Palio but I am sure it wouldnt be more than a 1000 .... Swift sold for around 6500

-----------------
UVA and Palio are also good cars it depends on what is your actual requirement. A car selling less doesnt make that car a bad car. Its the thinking of people in a particular area or country that changes the buying behaviour of a car, the 'herd' mentality is too common. Infact no car is a bad car. Please let me know if you have any more queries on Getz Prime.
Best of luck on your car buying spree
Thanks for your valuable suggestions. My friend was totally convinced with the looks of UVA, but till now he did not TD Getz. Will ask him to TD both the cars on the same day to compare and contrast on the features.

I normally admire the looks of getz and was surprised to see it did not make it to the hit list in india.

I could see a proud owner in you, as I'm too with my VIVA

Regards,
Pradeep

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Thanks.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th March 2009 at 13:06. Reason: Please avoid quoting an entire large post
Old 30th March 2009, 15:05   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your valuable suggestions. My friend was totally convinced with the looks of UVA, but till now he did not TD Getz. Will ask him to TD both the cars on the same day to compare and contrast on the features.

I normally admire the looks of getz and was surprised to see it did not make it to the hit list in india.

I could see a proud owner in you, as I'm too with my VIVA

Regards,
Pradeep
Yupp, U-VA has a great look but it doesnt sell in India. So if someone buys a UVA he would own it always becasue he would not be able to sell it 2nd hand or has to sell it at peanuts cost.

Actually if you see the stats, in its segment Getz(& Getz Prime) in its segment sold 2nd best only to Swift. But yes the diference is like 1:5
But it a very popular car outside India. I think Getz got beaten up by the mere fact that its F.E. is less that cars in its segment, as we all know Indians are known for a knack of car having higher F.E.

Yes Indica V2 sold a lot too but 70% were sold as Indicabs so I would not rank it 1st or 2nd.

Ask your friend to take a TD on the same day for both, if he is a guy who loves revving the engine, he would buy Getz Prime but remember do not go for the 1.1 engine, its kind of underpowered with the Santro Engine + 3 horses more.

VIVA is a stonker man, my collegue has a Ferrari Red VIVA CRDI, man its a stonker with 100 bhp on power and awesome road presence, you are a lucky guy!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks