Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2009, 13:44   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Rahul,

While I am a great fan of Hyundai's "silent" engines and have admired the Santro right from its first avtaar in 1998,here are a few points:

1.Maruti's sheet metal treatment is the BEST - all Hyundai cars I know have seen under-door corrosion in five years.My Body shop man also endorses this. Marutis,on the other hand do not corrode till at least 10 years.So if you're keen on keeping the car for long , the A STAR is the one
2.There is no compare as regards availability and reasonably priced spares - MARUTI is the KING
3. The overall reliability of a MARUTI is much higher than any other brand
4.I can't say about FE,but the KB series engine for the A-Star is like a camel

One last point - if you can wait for the Ritz,I think you'll end up satisfying Mom as well.
Old 10th April 2009, 13:59   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Go for the i10 . It's way better than the A-star. But maybe because i myself have a 10 and absolutely love it.
FE is around 13 with 70% AC for city. Highway is 16.
Yes the interiors are a pain to keep clean but that can be sorted out partially by going for chocolate brown seat covers.

cheers
bharti22shresth

P.s. It is a totally different beast to drive as compared to the santro
Old 10th April 2009, 14:14   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharti22shresth View Post
P.s. It is a totally different beast to drive as compared to the santro
What do you mean by that?Please clarify as i was under the impression that it would be as smooth as santro or even better.
Old 10th April 2009, 14:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
The A-star.

Marutis have an uncanny tendency to keep going on and on and on and still the wheels don't fall off !!

Plus the A.S.S. will surely keep you happy and the F.E. will put a big grin on your face.
I go with this one in totality!
Service costs of Hyundai are still nowhere comparable to Maruti!
The resale will always be better too!
Yes, you might have to put up with superficial problems like rattles and suchlikes!
3 pot engine? Do remember the 800 and the Omni have always been just that also!
Old 10th April 2009, 15:14   #20
Team-BHP Support

With a dog inside the car, the beige interiors of the i10 would get dirty in no time. Would suggest the A star
Old 10th April 2009, 15:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
With a dog inside the car, the beige interiors of the i10 would get dirty in no time.
What if the dog is also beige in colour?!
Old 10th April 2009, 15:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
If i were you, would definitly go for the i10.
The A-Star's cramped interiors, low visibility, non-existent boot make it a highly impractical car.
To be frank, i found the car's refinement and driveability to be a little overhyped. Yes it revves smoothly but it gets a bit noisy as revvs increase and also it does vibrate at idle. Something attributed to the 3-pot motor but highly undesirable in a 4 lac car.
i10 1.1 even though has an old engine, but as an overall package it still scores more than the A-Star.
The only thing that bothers me in i10 is the beige reflection of the dashboard, but i guess that's something subjective and which you yourself have to judge if it bothers you or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Slightly OT: The a star engine sounds like an omni since it is 3 cylinder. Very buzzy towards the top end.

Bang on - both guys.

The lovely part of the A* is the claimed mileage, the gearshift. What you get free - toy-like EPS (even i10 has it), NOISY engine, completely zero visibility

Honestly, I could still go for the ZXi. ANy reason you don't want a ZXi?

Everytime I take my swift VDi out on the highway, I hate MSIL for not giving ZDi
Old 10th April 2009, 15:40   #23
BHPian

HAHA Nice one Anup! My dog is a black & white border collie. He is very jealous of dogs riding in cars & always barks at them however street dogs & cats don't bother him at all. Strange behavior for a dog. His name is Rocky & u can see here.
Please help me out guys! A-Star LXI or i10 Era?-131962.jpg

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th April 2009 at 16:07. Reason: Please resize imabe for web and preview before you post. Thanks
Old 10th April 2009, 17:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Rahul, you've got mixed up between the human world and the doggie world.
Rocky is just a stickler for protocol. He barks out a routine reprimand to those dogs riding past in cars. In doggie world it is mandatory for other dogs sniff your behind and for you to do the same for them. Rocky does not take kindly to this breach of doggie-discipline!

Anyway, getting back to the thread topic, is your car interior beige and has it become dirty because of Rocky? Would you buy an i10 or an A-star if you had a choice? Or would you leave it to Rocky to decide?
Old 10th April 2009, 21:38   #25
BHPian

HAHAHAHA i guess he is happy in any of the two as long as he gets to ride along. On a more serious note. I think i10 is better for me on all counts. My monthly travel consist on of 300-400 Km (80% in city) so mileage should not be a major concern.

I will be paying 1 lac from my pocket & the rest will be financed by SBI. 284847/- @ 12% per annum comes at an EMI of 5028.33/-. Sounds reasonable to me. What do you guys think?

Please give me some info about alloys i.e. how much would a set of 05 13"chers cost?
Old 10th April 2009, 23:14   #26
BHPian

Also i just got the Jan 09 issue of Overdrive which has a pretty neat head to head on both cars. One surprising thing is that overdrive states mileage of i10 vis-a-vis A-star to be as follows: In city i10 - 15.43kmpl to A-star - 15.69kmpl
On highway i10 - 18.88kmpl to A-star - 19.80kmpl
These figures are pretty close. How is it possible when most people (even hyundai saleswoman here) says i10 gives 12-13 max in city. By the way these figures are for 1.1 irde & not the 1.2 kappa.
Old 10th April 2009, 23:42   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul18348 View Post
What do you mean by that?Please clarify as i was under the impression that it would be as smooth as santro or even better.
Yes, it is as smooth or maybe better. NVH levels are lesser too. By being a totally different beast I meant that it is a more eager car. Makes u push her more. Inspires more confidence and doesn't get iffy when taken to high speeds which the santro does.

cheers
bharti22shresth
Old 11th April 2009, 01:40   #28
BHPian

I would have said go with the I10 on all counts except the 'keep till wheels fall off' one. If this is important to you then it has to be a Maruti product. I used to own a M800 which I drove hard for 83k km in 50 months. When I sold it, I felt that I could easily have run it for 4-5 yrs more without any major problems cropping up. Service costs were so affordable that I kicked myself for not buying one while in college. My Dad's '99 carb zen still drives like a dream.
Never actually driven an A* but am now inspired to take a TD asap.
Old 11th April 2009, 13:00   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,
I have started writing my review about my i10 AT. You can check it out at
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...of-review.html
Old 11th April 2009, 22:15   #30
BHPian

Test drove both cars today. Some people here might not like my opinion. My mom is furious over this issue but I just loved A-Star. Handling, Drivability, High Speed cornering, agressive breaking etc A-star is miles ahead on these aspects compared to i10. I drove both the cars in city for about 10 min & then belted them on the highway at 120kmph. The maruti salesman got scared & advised me to take it easy (he would end up losing his job if the car got damaged). In city both are equally good. A-star has a lighter but more responsive EPS which breezes though traffic. But on highway A-star is as solid as a rock. Due to higher ground clearance & cockpit like cabin feels like flying a helicopter rather than driving a car. The things i liked most in A-star are:
1) Thick steering wheel (like swift).
2) Short shifter (Gearbox like MAKHANN! really sweeet).
3) Front seats have very long travel.
4) Stiff suspension aids handling & car does not dive on high bumpers or potholes.
Overall a complete driver's car. I u can't afford Swift than this is the closest to it in terms of pure driving pleasure. i10 although much more comfortable is not a good handler. The suspension is way better compared to santro but this compromises handling.
This whole experience has put me in a dilemna. My mom is dead against A-Star as she felt the rear seats are worse than alto. She was very happy when she sat behind in the i10.
Now my problem is how to convince her. She is thinking in terms of practicality and i'm simply blinded by the driving experience. What shall i do now? All suggestions are welcome.
PS: A-star was driven for about 26kms on the highway with fuel gauge showing empty, but the salesman said "Sir ghabraiye mat! Abhi to aur chalegi. Zabardast mileage deti hai!"

Most Viewed