Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2009, 20:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hey dceite ritz is not a replacement for W-R .Its much bigger than W-R.AFAIK its based on the swift platform.It is even costlier than a swift.W-R would be a good choice for your needs buddie.If you start thinking up there is no limit.Fix your budget and then think of options.
cheers
ram
Old 27th April 2009, 20:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Well i have one for the past 5 years, and there is NO rattle yet. *touchwood* .It has run around 48k kms.

Maybe the newer ones develop rattles. I recently had a taxi ride in CNG WagonR (new model) , and it was rattling a lot from the rear door. But then maybe because it was a taxi.
Same case with my Waggie--no rattles. It has 49 K on the odo, and will complete 8 years in another 3 months.
Maintenance so far is limited to annual services, and replacement of 1 headlight bulb, and 2 rear bulbs, and of course spark plugs in the 40 k service.
Old 27th April 2009, 20:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

the older WR's were very well built. I know my uncle's second hand one (old shape) is built like a rock, and is in very good shape for its age, though it has run a lot.

On the other hand , time has not been as kind to some of my colleagues newer WR's .
Old 27th April 2009, 21:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone, for contributing with your views.

I drove the Spark in Goa. Its nice, but I could never get used to the centrally mounted speedo display- its very distracting. Same goes for the Indica Vista. Besides, the spark has negligible luggage space. The Vista is NOT compact from any sense of the word. For me it would be involving as driving a sedan. Parking it would certainly not be a breeze and neither would driving through Bhendi bazar traffic. The qudrajet is diesel, im looking for petrol/gas. So from my perspective the Spark(though compact & cute) and the Indica Vista are out. That leaves me with the Estilo(cross breeding gone horribly wrong) and the Santro. Between the 2 I think the W R is better in terms of my criteria.

One question about the WR - How stable is the W R at 120kph(say on the pune expressway) ?
Are there any other COMPACT hatches due to be launched in the next few months ?
Old 27th April 2009, 22:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

I drove my WagonR only once at 120 on the GQ long back---but there were high cross-winds which made me feel a bit nervous. I never got another chance to rip it that fast, especially when there were no cross winds. It is great at 90 to 100, which are my normal speeds on the highway.
On the Pune expressway, I was overtaken by a WagonR when I was doing 120 on my Fiesta. I had to go past 130 to overtake him. However, I am not sure how the driver was feeling--whether it was steady or not.
In my opinion, the Waggie scores over the Santro in :-
  1. Ride quality---soaks up bumps pretty well. Even rear seat passengers don't get a bumpy ride--in a Santro they are not that comfy at the rear.
  2. Luggage space.
  3. Better brakes and lights.
  4. Better reliability.
  5. Reclining and folding rear seats---however I am not sure if latest models have this feature
On the other hand a Santro has the following positives:-
  1. Peppier to drive, especially in the city---better pick up in lower gears.
  2. Driver's seat is more comfy for long journeys.
  3. Better gear shifts.
  4. Engine is more refined at higher rpms.
I suggest you TD both, and finally it is your call
Old 27th April 2009, 22:10   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
One question about the WR - How stable is the W R at 120kph(say on the pune expressway) ?
Are there any other COMPACT hatches due to be launched in the next few months ?
Well first off it's definitely not a car designed to do 120+kmh and deliver a stable handling experience on a highway for such speeds. Like someone pointed out its brakes are not that great at such speeds. I'm hoping they have improved them from the time I bought my car , 7 years ago.

Like I mentioned earlier, you will have to get wider tyres for better handling because with the stock tyre,s the car gets very jittery beyond 80kmh and a lot of it has has to do with the thin stock tyres.

I have never pushed my cars beyond 90kmh and don't intend to do so in the near future on our highways or expressways. So can't really tell you how the wagon r behaves at 120kmh.

I think the Fiat grande punto should be out soon apart from that not really sure.Maruti Ritz as well. Not sure if the 2 mentioned are compact in terms of dimensions.

Last edited by pranava999 : 27th April 2009 at 22:17.
Old 27th April 2009, 22:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

the WR is an entirely city creature. the spark, heck, the alto handles highways and triple digit speeds more confidently than the WR.

Last edited by greenhorn : 27th April 2009 at 22:58.
Old 27th April 2009, 22:43   #23
BHPian

Wagon R is dated, why spend your money on a dated car bro? Maruti, Hyundai and Tata have newer cars that fits your bill. Why not one of them?
Old 27th April 2009, 22:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

he wants a small car that can handle 4 6 footers and city traffic with ease, and the santro/WagonR do it best

but if you are buying it for mostly city runs, why are you bothering about triple digit speeds ?
Old 27th April 2009, 23:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Definitely not stable with the stock tyres, but ride will definitely improve with better tyres.
Old 27th April 2009, 23:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

Wagon R is quite outdated now. Fuel efficiency is really bad. I drove one for a while and ended up spending the same amount on petrol as my Siena 1.6. The Wagon R DOES rattle. The Estilo is a better option if you must buy a Maruti. Otherwise the Indica Vista is a better option.
Old 28th April 2009, 00:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
One question about the WR - How stable is the W R at 120kph (say on the pune expressway)?
Have driven my WagonR at 145 on NH - 1 and it was fairly stable (better than Scorpio). However wouldnt recommend you to try 145 on stock rubber as I have fairly wide tyres.

Its a nice car and I would definitely recommend it. We have one in the family for last 3 years and currently its being used by my sister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
The Estilo is a better option if you must buy a Maruti.
No idea abt the performance of Estilo but go for it only if you can survive the looks.

Last edited by WanderNomad : 28th April 2009 at 00:40.
Old 28th April 2009, 07:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Whats wrong with the 1.4 Logan in ~5L?
Old 28th April 2009, 09:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
No idea abt the performance of Estilo but go for it only if you can survive the looks.
Performance will be the same almost as it uses the same engine. FE may be better because of the shape. I feel it looks much better than the boxy Wagon R. If you can survive the looks of the Dzire, you can survive anything.

The Logan is a good car. Looks a bit boxy but then as I said "If you can survive the looks of the Dzire, you can survive anything."
Old 28th April 2009, 11:40   #30
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

my WagonR has done almost 40K. Bought it in Sep 2006. Trouble free mostly. Mileage has been fantastic within the city. Around 13-14 with full AC. Out of town run gives around 18.

Only trouble i have had is with the Power Window getting stuck which was corrected quickly. My wife loves the car for the local runs in narrow lanes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks