Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2009, 14:49   #31
BHPian

After long time there is a discussion on WagonR.

WagonR will be happy till u drive it around 100-110. But as you try to increase the speed it takes time to reach 120-130, I have driven it to maximum speed approx 138 on mum-pune expressway.

Car is safe at moderate speeds. I majorly use it for highway runs. Longest is around 2300 Km return journey from durg, chattisgarh. Highest average is around 21 (Highway) & 15(city). But nowadays it gives around 18-19 on highway and around 13 in city. I purchased this car Nov 2007 and completed 18000 KMS. There are no issues with the car and only regular services are done at spectra ghatkopar.
Old 28th April 2009, 15:26   #32
BHPian

Wagon R "was" a really nice car.

FE & space was amazing.

Recent price cut makes it a super VFM.

But recent Maruti cars, have a real built problem. A new car is also rattling heavily.
Old 28th April 2009, 16:45   #33
BHPian

I’m one of the happy owners of WagonR. Bought this tall boy in 2004 and from last 5 years he is running without any trouble (Keeping figures crossed). Good average and performance for City and Highway use. Spacing is better than Santro (my opinion). And as per your requirement, this is the most suitable car considering space for four tall adults, fuel options (petrol/lpg) available and driving comfort. But, one has to understand that it is not a sedan, touching 110/120 kms/hr in Wagon is a safe bet, and beyond 120 kms “God only can help”.

Last edited by ImranShahnawaz : 28th April 2009 at 17:05.
Old 29th April 2009, 08:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
But recent Maruti cars, have a real built problem. A new car is also rattling heavily.
What is the basis of your statement. Have you personally experienced such build issues in a Maruti.

What exactly is meant by 'rattling heavily' ? Does it mean that the doors lose their ideal settings and start squeaking or does it mean that all the baody panels become loose. Since the compact cars are a monocoque design versus body on frame design I wonder what this rattle is all about ?
Can someone care to explain ?

From my budget & criteria there seems to be little options in the 'compact' hatch category.
W R, Santro, Estilo, Spark,I10.
Santro looks too dated, Estilo looks too bad, Spark is too compact & lacks luggage space & center console is not good. So these are out. Now Ive to choose from the W R & i10. Getz,Vista,Aveo-uva,Swift do not come in the compact category and hence are out of contention. All your inputs in this thread has made things so much easy.
Old 29th April 2009, 09:34   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

FE & space was amazing.

Recent price cut makes it a super VFM.

What's amazing about the FE. It gives around 13. Only the Alto & A-Star give better milege today. All the new small cars are giving around 13. Strange since my Siena 1.6 with 100BHP gives me the same milege.

The space is also not amazing. In fact the Estilo has better interior space and comfort. The interior also looks better than the Wagon R.
Old 29th April 2009, 09:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
What is the basis of your statement. Have you personally experienced such build issues in a Maruti.

What exactly is meant by 'rattling heavily' ? Does it mean that the doors lose their ideal settings and start squeaking or does it mean that all the baody panels become loose.
We have two Alto cars in Family, one was bought in 2000, other was bought in 2008.

Newer Alto rattles and it needed 2 trips to MASS to fix that.

Body panels are not an issue at all for rattles.

Rattles are due to plastics that are used inside cabin. For example, plastic part o door is held together by plastic ties. And its easy for hose ties to break or loosen up.

That is primary cause or rattling in my experience.

Funny thing is I NEVER noticed any rattling before reading through Team-BHP (though it was there).
Old 29th April 2009, 10:20   #37
Senior - BHPian

Jay, I'm on my second WagonR since March 2002.
The newer ones are more prone to a few rattles.

But having checked out all the tiny cars in the market 2 years ago, we decided on a Wagon again! Only because my family voted down the Versa which I think has some USPs all its own! The Versa is only about four inches longer and has a better turning circle than the wagon! A breeze to park.

The WagonR is a car that does the job. Nothing exciting about it, nothing terribly disappointing about it.
Old 29th April 2009, 11:58   #38
BHPian

Try a TD of the Getz Prime. Its an amazing car with lots of space and great driving pleasure. Hyundai is offering some good discounts in it these days.

Wagon -R is too outdated as compared to the other older cars.
Old 29th April 2009, 16:31   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
But having checked out all the tiny cars in the market 2 years ago, we decided on a Wagon again! Only because my family voted down the Versa which I think has some USPs all its own! The Versa is only about four inches longer and has a better turning circle than the wagon! A breeze to park.

The WagonR is a car that does the job. Nothing exciting about it, nothing terribly disappointing about it.
Well, in fact, I just saw 2 Versa's today and hell, I think it is much better than the WR. Like you said, it has its own USP. But need to have a closer look inside. I mean Im looking for a city hatch and am now thinking of a van. The New WR comes with abs & airbags too.

@Shuvadips> the getz is "not" a compact hatch. Its more like a sedan without a boot. Certainly it is spacious & might offer good value too but Im looking for a vehicle that I can use like I ride my bike. To cut through traffic and squeeze in the small gullies of Bombay while having decent space & a luggage bay and capable of rare occassional intercity runs. Besides I might keep it for the next 5-7 years atleast. Therefore the gas option has to be there.
Old 29th April 2009, 16:36   #40
BHPian

Amazing FE: only compare to its original competitor - Santro

Well, we do have few Marutis in the family.

I dont know but when you drive them, you can easily judge that, they are Maruti not the Hyundai & others. There are clear cut differences between driving a maruti and other car in terms of refinement & comfort.

And yes weather a cheap plastic or any other reason, Marutis are known to rattle after few years. (especially newer lot).
Old 29th April 2009, 16:49   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Amazing FE: only compare to its original competitor - Santro
I think we can safely say that the FE is quite better than Santro. This is purely my feel based on general feedback, no statistics.
Old 29th April 2009, 17:23   #42
BHPian

Go in for santro xing. Its one of the best hatch available. I have been driving a santro for 5+ years with no issues of luggage or parking or whatsoever. My friend has a wagon, though it also has upright seats but it somehow doesn't feel confortable. Experience the drivability of santro and wagon R. You would by default select Santro. It's just wow.
Old 29th April 2009, 17:55   #43
BHPian

Wagon R is an excellent city car, its got an awsome AC, a good turning radious, I guess its got one of the biggest boot space in its category and to top that its an MARUTI so its not going to be heavy on our pockets. The milage is also expected to be around 10 - 12 kmpl depending on your driving and the traffic conditions.

However, I would still go in for a Santro because 1) its more spacious then the Wagon R, 2) Of what I have heard, Wagon R may be discontinued this year. Also, I have used a Santro for 8 years and have had an excellent ownership experiance. The car had clocked 1,20,000 kms and still did not have any maintainance issues at all. Also like the Maruti, Hyundai's also cheap on your pockets.

Also I would prefer a Santro on the highway then a Wagon R as it is more stable at high speeds.

If you have decided to go in for a Wagon R and are planning to use it only in the city then a LPG variant is a good option as you can really save some cash on the fuel. Would request members to givein their view on this as I have not had an experiance with the LPG variant.
Old 29th April 2009, 19:15   #44
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Well, in fact, I just saw 2 Versa's today and hell, I think it is much better than the WR. Like you said, it has its own USP. But need to have a closer look inside. I mean Im looking for a city hatch and am now thinking of a van.
The Versa can be cramped for other than average size adults, especially the rear most row. The mileage also is not great in comparison to Wagon Rs and Santros. The ride also is nothing to write home about. But for city / town use it could be much more practical than a Wagon R / Santro.

But if at all you travel in one with the twin ACs and vents for each row of seats, you would never be happy with any other car AC.
Old 29th April 2009, 19:23   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabahmad View Post
WagonR will be happy till u drive it around 100-110. But as you try to increase the speed it takes time to reach 120-130, I have driven it to maximum speed approx 138 on mum-pune expressway.
I had my friend wagon-r for a day and was quite unnerving at anything over 80 kmph even on minor undulation on the road with four people inside. May be I am used to the Palio but I was expecting it to behave better. A Santro is much better for highway drives compared to the Wagon-R IMHO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks