Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2009, 16:54   #61
Senior - BHPian

My suggeston stay away from WagonR. Instead buy Santro or i10 or even Indica Vista then comes WagonR

I have 3 Maruti cars and other cars too. Based on my experience let me put my experience. I have driven and travelled in WagonR too.

Most of the Maruti cars fail and don't come to close competition and its same case with WagonR. In my family we own WagonR, Santro, i10, Alto.

When we drive one after other we can clearly see winners are: i10 -> Santro -> WagonR -> Alto.

Factors I considered into account: Comfort, rattling, build feeling, interior quality, NVH levels, easy to drive.

WagonR don't come close to Santro and i10.

Maruti cars are different class apart suitable only for Maruti FANS and people who look for cheap buy/run and its same case with TATA too. These manufacturers have to work out long way to come up with good products like Hyundai/Honda/Toyota.

But on other hand Maruti cars are useful If you consider cheap buy, FE, peace of mind only for service into consideration.

Ravi.
Old 30th April 2009, 18:36   #62
Senior - BHPian

There seems to be a strong case for the Santro & i10 from most of the comments here. I am going to check out the Santro i10 & WR tomorrow.
Old 30th April 2009, 18:54   #63
Senior - BHPian

Ravi, your views were fine till you posted this
Quote:
Maruti cars are different class apart suitable only for Maruti FANS and people who look for cheap buy/run and its same case with TATA too. These manufacturers have to work out long way to come up with good products like Hyundai/Honda/Toyota.
So the majority of the Public buy Maruti only becasue they are Maruti's fan?

Whats wrong in expecting a cheap car which is cheap to run & has brilliant A.S.S. & great resale?

I would like to know how many of your Maruti cars failed & under which conditions?

I agree that over the years the plastic quality has deteriorated but your comments were totally uncalled for & could have be done in a better manner.

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th April 2009 at 19:11.
Old 30th April 2009, 19:08   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Most of the Maruti cars fail and don't come to close competition and its same case with WagonR.
Ravi, welcome to planet Earth! Unfortunately you'll have to observe for some time before posting Uranus views!
Our experience here has been rather different!
Old 30th April 2009, 19:21   #65
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by siedo View Post
Hi all one Q.
Is wagon r ax still on sale , just spotted one brand new unregistered ax on road.
Yes, as per somebody here connected with maruti sales mentioned some time back. Made only on order, though!
Old 30th April 2009, 20:33   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Unfortunately you'll have to observe for some time before posting Uranus views!
True! As I have said before, 10 years and 3 marutis later, I remain a maruti fan (not fanatic). The WagonR is a good car for city use but looks dated. The stock tyres are atrocious. But I do think its a very easy car to drive.
Old 30th April 2009, 21:33   #67
Senior - BHPian

Well I expected this reaction from members. I am sorry and appologize If someone got hurt by my comments.

I expect similar reaction what people exhibited in this thread when someone comments against Toyota or Honda or some other manufacturer.

I don't make this as Maruti bashing thread but my point is company which has most experience in India and its letting/concentrating quality go down instead of building better products. I still stand with my comments such one must avoid such lousy products. Or Maruti should release in press saying its targetting rural not urban. Or let Maruti bring cars with better quality with premium amount. I will be firstone to buy such cars.

I can see lot of improvement in new i10 over initially launched i10 and its same case with Santro too. They worked very hard to come with better engine etc. time by time. Lets respect such product and make ourselves efficient.

I also know Maruti cars never gave trouble. My uncle's 10+ years old M800 stopped in NH17 and it was just 90/- rs parts we baught from Ankola and fixed in 1 hr. I really appreciate Maruti for providing reliable products. TATA still has to work out very hard on giving quality products. Infact their quality has gone down from last 3 years.

Fail what I mean is not in car giving trouble in the middle of the road but few car manufacturers concentrate more on price point rather than giving better products which is bad sign in business!! Remember I am in business from end of 2000 and I know efforts involved to see steady growth and I never believe in fast growth.

In this thread answer to member who asked how good is WagonR?

Answer: There are better cars than WagonR so go and shop to choose better cars

Ravi.

PS In future I might own pre owned WagonR, but I would never buy brand new WagonR.

Last edited by ravibhat : 30th April 2009 at 21:37.
Old 30th April 2009, 21:42   #68
BHPian

Having owned 2 wagonRs (type 2, 2005 lx for 1 year and 2008 lx new model for 3 months) previously, I was quite Happy with it. Speaking of FE, with 165/65 r13 michelin tyres (both cars, used to scrape) I used to get around 11 to 12 in city with full A/c, on highways its around 17 kmpl. I never felt the car sway on highway at 120 kmph(with michelins), on stock tyres dont try. I had three adults, 2 6 footers and 1 5.10" person seated in rear without trouble for 400 kms. Driveability with A/c in city is ok (Afterall we dont go racing in our kind of traffic) . Boot space is good (dont expect sedan like boot in a hatch like wagon r). Faced a problem with suspension arm (dont know exact word) on right side, because of which rattling was there. But that was sorted out. INGRESS and EGRESS fantastic. SUV like driving position. A/c is good. After sales Service is good. What more can we expect from a sub 4 lakh car?? Its the highest selling vehicle in its segment. I havent tried any other car in that segment (I didnt felt the need to try one). Looks are subjective. Finally , Resale values are .

Last edited by mnhegde : 30th April 2009 at 21:48.
Old 30th April 2009, 22:06   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I can see lot of improvement in new i10 over initially launched i10 and its same case with Santro too. They worked very hard to come with better engine etc. time by time. Lets respect such product and make ourselves efficient.
Ravi, as they have always said here on this planet, #2 always tries harder!
The fact that they are STILL number 2 must mean something!
Old 1st May 2009, 02:42   #70
BHPian

Some members here are trying hard here to sell the Santro but noone has replied to my point about how cramped it is. Also people here are saying its a better car, I would request them to enlighten me on this . I started my driving with an 800, drove for a couple of years, bought an Accent, made my gf (now wife) buy an Accent too, bought a WagonR as a second car for self after a while, handed over that WagonR to my sister later and bought a Scorpio for self. Now I drive a Scorpio and an Accent.

So I am a loyalist of Hyundai as well as Maruti. Still it pains me when people tell me without logic that Santro is a better car. There are key features of both Santro and WagonR but nothing makes one better than other. I shall request members not to make generic statements like this . I did enough research before buying a WagonR and those were the days when mid segment had mainly these two cars only. In fact no auto magazine has been able to clearly distinguish one of them as better.

Santro offers better pick up and braking, slick gear shift and is easy to drive around whereas a WagonR is much more spacious, offers better FE, has cheaper parts and service costs, has a much better AC (totally personal opinion as I feel AC on all Hyundai cars sucks big time specially during idling) and is much more stable with upgraded rubber (again totally personal opinion). WagonR's interiors are also better than Santro, the latest Santro which I saw with reddish tone seat covers had a very cheap and recession hit look with shabby plastics.

Last edited by WanderNomad : 1st May 2009 at 02:56.
Old 1st May 2009, 07:26   #71
BHPian

man, we should invite Maruti folks, Hyundai folks into this forum, they would love to recruit most of us into their sales department. As they say if Painting is shown to 100 people, chances of getting 100 different answers is most likely than a uniform answer. bottom line, It depends on the way we perceive.

If you want a urbane looking car go for Santro, if you don't mind the looks of the Wagon R go for it. both are equally good. As mentioned handling might be difficult if you are cornering around 100+ in a wagon R.

Decide what your priorities are then compare the one which meets most of your priorities ,after you found out then you know what to do.
Old 1st May 2009, 07:30   #72
BANNED

Though i m not a owner of WagonR and Santro, I drove both this cars in city and highway. If you are looking at the comfort level WagonR is a "Coir Bed" and Santro is a "Foam Bed"
Old 1st May 2009, 10:36   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
Santro offers better pick up and braking, slick gear shift and is easy to drive around whereas a WagonR is much more spacious, offers better FE, has cheaper parts and service costs, has a much better AC (totally personal opinion as I feel AC on all Hyundai cars sucks big time specially during idling) and is much more stable with upgraded rubber (again totally personal opinion). WagonR's interiors are also better than Santro, the latest Santro which I saw with reddish tone seat covers had a very cheap and recession hit look with shabby plastics.
I differ with you on braking---I felt WagonR's brakes to be far better, and I've mentioned it in my earlier post. As regards AC, I think both are equally good, though my son feels the bigger vents in the Santro offer better cooling.
My niece was vacillating between buying either car last year, but finally clinched on the Waggie because she got a feedback from some Santro owners that some models had lots of issues. I don't remember the details, but she said 'If a Santro runs fine, it is great, but if it has some issues, you are stuck with a lemon'. This apart, there are 3 WagonRs in our extended family, mine being the first.

Ravibhat was referring to improvements in the Santro. True, the xing is a great improvement over the earlier model. But even the Waggie has undergone 2 stages of improvement ---roof rails were added and the front grill was improved, and in the latest model, the grill was changed again (not to my liking though) and the cng option was offered. There is now a headlight leveller, 3 spoke steering wheel, door trim, etc that is missing in my Waggie. Indicator lamps in the front have also been re-positioned, and so has the number plate at the rear. The biggest let down, however, is the absence of the earlier feature of reclining the rear seats, which was the USP in my buying decision.

Last edited by vnabhi : 1st May 2009 at 10:42.
Old 1st May 2009, 11:58   #74
BHPian

In its segment, WagonR offers the best driver's seat - in terms of all round visibility and driving comfort.

After driving WagonR and other cars for a couple of hours at a stretch in city traffic, my personal opinion is that because of high seating, there is very little fatigue observed in wagonR.

Will not touch upon the pros already listed by others, I for one am a big time fan of this car (though it was not even in my probables list when I went out shopping for my first car some 5 years ago) - reason - absolutely nil TCO.

Not that this car does not have scope of improvement, but they are negligible if you consider other factors such as resale, after-sales-service, low maintenance, anytime and anywhere servicability.
Old 1st May 2009, 12:07   #75
BHPian

I know one thing, my friend bought a second hand wagon R which has completed 80K in Nashik. He still has it and in these three years is wagon R has completed 215K kms. The engine still in good shape.

Last year November he drove from Nashik to Delhi went to Manali and then Ranthambore no issues. His car was running on auto lpg and had no issues in keeping with my Swift Zxi.

He is planning to sell it now and is getting a good price.

PS: If you ask me personally I hate Maruti, bought Swift because my wifey liked it, unfortunately we lost it in december after an accident. The airbags saved wife and daughter.

Most Viewed