Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2009, 08:18   #1
Vicky_s_world

Help me Choose a car from OLD Palio / Uno Diesel & OHC

Hi! All

I am going in for a used car and upon going through several posts in the forums and a lot of searching, have come down to some available options with respect to my Vitamin 'M'(Moolah upto 2L).

1) Uno diesel - 1999 45,000/-, Basic with a/c, 61,000kms runsingle owner used sparingly.
2) Palio D - 2003 - ELX - 1,35,000/- 80,000kms run
3) Honda City 1999 - 1.3 - 1,00,000/- 70,000kms run

All the 3 cars condition is not good, i.e will have to spend another 15-20K on getting it right.

My running is around 700kms/month.

If I go for the city will have it modded externally with the remaining money.

What do you people think.

Are spares available for Uno & Palio.

I searched in various threads, but availability of spares was hard to find.

Please guide me.

Old 4th May 2009, 10:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Very honestly speaking,
I think the OHC will be the best bet. Since the Palio D and Uno D weren't very popular in their later years, spares might be difficult and expensive.
However, an OHC 1.3 for 1,00,000 seems difficult to believe. Please check that it hasn't been involved in any major accident or that it isnt a lemon.
Old 4th May 2009, 11:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Vicky the OHC would be the best bet for sure.Check for any major accidents ,shocks and electricals.Spares are easily available for the OHC IMHO.And above all you get a boot too for that money.Before taking a decission verify the car at an A.S.S and i believe it wont be the last of used cars available there.So take a wise decission buddy,

cheers ram
Old 4th May 2009, 11:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky_s_world View Post
Hi! All

I am going in for a used car and upon going through several posts in the forums and a lot of searching, have come down to some available options with respect to my Vitamin 'M'(Moolah upto 2L).

1) Uno diesel - 1999 45,000/-, Basic with a/c, 61,000kms runsingle owner used sparingly.

All the 3 cars condition is not good, i.e will have to spend another 15-20K on getting it right.

Please guide me.
Hey Vicky,

Out of the three cars you have specified, i believe you should go for the OHC.

Why:

UNO - Out of production model, No boot space, comes under small car segment, Doesn`t have a road presence, Spares are difficult to find.

Palio - Again an old model, Not much boot space, The old palio was a flop model.

OHC - Very good road presence, Its a HONDA, Big booth space, comes under mid-size segment, Great Mods capability (Search the forum for OHC Modification, people have done wonders), with in 2 Lacs, its a good buy.

So Sirjee OHC is the best buy.

Abbas.
Old 4th May 2009, 11:58   #5
BHPian

Your running is only 700 KMs per month. IMO go for a second hand petrol vehicle(the honda city). A 1999/2003 model diesel vehicle will have its fare share of problems (More than the petrol vehicle) and would need frequent garage visits.
Old 4th May 2009, 13:26   #6
BHPian

I would say go for the OHC. Since you are in your 20s, you may as well drive a car that does not make the girls address you as 'uncle'. With the right kind of mods, the OHC is the only one on your list that is a potential babe magnet.
Old 4th May 2009, 13:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hi! All

Please guide me.
In my opinion, go for OHC, but verify the credentials, condition and history of service etc. Its hard to believe the price tag though.

My reasoning is due to OHC being petrol it could be better buy in used car arena, old diesels need to be looked at very thoroughly and very hard to believe that they are in good condition and would be tough to maintain old diesels.

Go for OHC, if it is in good condition and approximate repair expenses fit your budget and pocket

All the best, cheers!
Old 4th May 2009, 14:10   #8
BHPian

Up to 2L you should be able to get a better and wider choice, if you check out more second hand dealers (they offer great discounts if you show real interest and bargain good) or second had car websites like carwale.com(they have real good choice with over 800 cars in and around mumbai in your specified budget,), I am sure you would get a better deal, also i would suggest to visit Mahindra first choice or Maruti true value showrooms as they have a lot of choice, a bit pricier, but you get a checked and certified car with warranty, ofcourse from the choice mentioned by you OHC seems to be the better bet.
Old 4th May 2009, 16:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
Up to 2L you should be able to get a better and wider choice, if you check out more second hand dealers (they offer great discounts if you show real interest and bargain good) or second had car websites like carwale.com(they have real good choice with over 800 cars in and around mumbai in your specified budget,), I am sure you would get a better deal, also i would suggest to visit Mahindra first choice or Maruti true value showrooms as they have a lot of choice, a bit pricier, but you get a checked and certified car with warranty, ofcourse from the choice mentioned by you OHC seems to be the better bet.

totally agreed.

I have seen many good 5-6 year old Santros (no problem about ***, spares) going for 1.5 lacs.

try other cars in the same range.

From your choices, OHC will be better but as you said, condition is not good, so be prepared for that.

Instead, buy a good old santro, and forget about spending even a single penny on maintainence.
Old 5th May 2009, 00:20   #10
Vicky_s_world

Dear all, thanks for all your inputs.

However the OHC I had a check, the engine is very peppy eager to rev and smooth as silk.

The body is a bit rusty, a paint job is a must with a bit of a tin work.

Apart from this the speedo is not working, wipers dunt move, my mechanic said it has taken a hit from the behind, but the tin work done is good so no problems.

The suspension also require a overhaul.

Now about the Palio its better in terms of body condition, I am attracted to this car after reading about it in various forums, it gives a mileage of 20 - 22 kmpl with a 1.9 engine!!!!! Economical as well as powerfull great!!!

Have ruled out the uno.

Deciding between the Palio and OHC!!

Old 5th May 2009, 03:47   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey bro,

The OHC seems like it needs a lot of work. Find out the cost of all the work and double check with your mechanic about the engine and rigidity of the car.
The Palio should be avoided. Bad After Sales and the average of 20-22kmpl in Mumbai is difficult to believe.
Old 5th May 2009, 13:03   #12
BHPian

All the cars mentioned are out of production models. For your 2L budget, you could also look at the Ford ikon, which is still in production, so spares and maintanenace would not be a problem. My 2 bits, happy hunting.
Old 5th May 2009, 13:25   #13
BHPian

for ur budget, my friend is selling his extremly well maintained Siena 1.2 Petrol. He is total FIAT nut so u can be sure of the quality. He is currently using another Siena D.
Some guys from TamBhp can vouch for him too.
Old 5th May 2009, 19:10   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Dear all, thanks for all your inputs.

However the OHC I had a check, the engine is very peppy eager to rev and smooth as silk.

The body is a bit rusty, a paint job is a must with a bit of a tin work.

Apart from this the speedo is not working, wipers dunt move, my mechanic said it has taken a hit from the behind, but the tin work done is good so no problems.

The suspension also require a overhaul.

Now about the Palio its better in terms of body condition, I am attracted to this car after reading about it in various forums, it gives a mileage of 20 - 22 kmpl with a 1.9 engine!!!!! Economical as well as powerfull great!!!

Have ruled out the uno.

Deciding between the Palio and OHC!!

i would say Mileage of 20-22Kmpl is almost impossible. in city you can expect 12-14 with Ac. and on highways 16-18Kmpl offcourse Ac on. Thts best wht i have managed uptill now.

About A.S.S. i would say now ppl should change their views about FIAT A.S.S. guys atleast in big cities it's much more improved.

I dont know about others but i am a satisfied customer of FIAT 1.9D(touch wood).
Old 6th May 2009, 08:51   #15
Vicky_s_world

Hi! Thank you all for your inputs, test drove another Palio D yesterday 2003 with ABS, Airbags n all.

But the engine vibrations during idling was bit too much. Maybe its like that in all diesels. I wouldn't know as I have never been familiar with diesel engines.

He is quoting a price of 2L is this too much, the car is in good condition with new tires MP3 player n all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks