Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2009, 17:04   #16
Team-BHP Support

I wish questions in my exams were this simple

Of course, the Getz.

For me, I can't think of even one reason going in favour of the Palio.
Old 9th June 2009, 17:49   #17
BHPian

Between the 2 you shortlisted I would go with the Getz but why don't you wait for the Punto to launch and then decide on buying a car.
Old 9th June 2009, 17:56   #18
BHPian

Wait for Punto and forget the Getz. Dont buy any car just seeing figures on paper. Take a deep/long test drive of any car you want to buy than decide.
Old 9th June 2009, 17:57   #19
BHPian

Getz has a great straight line speed but, you tend to loose confidence during corners, also the brakes are not upto the mark for this monster engine. otherwise its a good buy and certainly at a corrected price.
Palio is a great car with the MJD, great handling and yes its not going to be discontinued soon so spares would not be a problem.
great FE figures, sturdy build, excellent drive and properly priced.
take your pick
Old 9th June 2009, 18:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

I didn't advise you on PUG, so do I qualify?

Getz is a better car in almost every respect, and it was only the price difference that kept people away from it. But, here are a few points, still (@Eddy, sorry but I like to find the minutest of things):

1. Test Drive both cars to check the ride and handling. Not many people are fans of the handling of the Getz.

2. Marginally better FE (10% difference or so, I guess. Definitely not a deal breaker) on the Palio.

3. Performance and Reliability of the CRDi engine and components after 1 lakh kms or so (but then, I guess you wouldn't be able to quantify to that extent because very few people would have driven so much.) A good idea would be to compare maintenance cost of multijet engines and Getz CRDi after maximum kilometres that you can find.

4. Rear wiper and demister on the Palio SDX.

But Still, the Getz CRDi is a deal at that price and I would take it.
Old 9th June 2009, 18:19   #21
BHPian

Still on the fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
Getz has a great straight line speed but, you tend to loose confidence during corners, also the brakes are not upto the mark for this monster engine. otherwise its a good buy and certainly at a corrected price.
Palio is a great car with the MJD, great handling and yes its not going to be discontinued soon so spares would not be a problem.
take your pick
Would this problem of cornering/ braking be solved to a decent extent by a correct tyre upsize. If so, what would be the right upsize (R14 itself) 195/60?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude131 View Post
Between the 2 you shortlisted I would go with the Getz but why don't you wait for the Punto to launch and then decide on buying a car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
I suggest you wait for the Punto. It's a car with better interiors. Plus you can get ABS/Airbags etc as an option. Not sure if Getz CRDi offers these options'
Yes. I just might! Some stupid soft corner for the underdog! I would have loved ABS with the CRDi. The GLX features on the CRDi would have been a complete no-brainer!

The CRDi seems to be winning the battle here. But counting the votes on the PUG, its a photo finish.

The Punto isn't too far behind either although it is an entry!
Old 9th June 2009, 18:48   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoedge View Post
Would this problem of cornering/ braking be solved to a decent extent by a correct tyre upsize. If so, what would be the right upsize (R14 itself) 195/60?

Yes. I just might! Some stupid soft corner for the underdog! I would have loved ABS with the CRDi. The GLX features on the CRDi would have been a complete no-brainer!

The CRDi seems to be winning the battle here. But counting the votes on the PUG, its a photo finish.

The Punto isn't too far behind either although it is an entry!
The only reason why the Getz is leading is because the Palio is in the Decline stage in the PLC and hence will soon be discontinued, leading to lower resale value.
When you through the Punto in the ring, it wins hands down IMO. Great engine, great styling and great features (Emo Pk). Plus since the FIAT diesel engine is now the unofficial Diesel engine of India, it will cheaper to maintain in the long runs and parts will be easier to source later on.

The main negative for me in the Palio is the interiors which are now well passed their prime. I still love my Palio 1.6 GTX (2002 model) except for the hard plastic interior front console.
Old 9th June 2009, 20:15   #23
BHPian

I would go for the Getz crdi , because of the A.S.S and lovely customer treatment.

Palio is MJD is a nice car but the attitude of the dealers and their A.S.S is not that great , i have palio 1.6 btw .

getz is more powerful but lacks in handling , but its a not a major thing to worry about coz you can always go for good performacnce tyres which makes it better , coz at the end of the day a true automobile lover needs the best of both , handling and power .
Old 9th June 2009, 20:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude131 View Post
...Great engine, great styling and great features (Emo Pk)...
The great engine part is the only place I beg to differ - the 75 PS 1.3 MJD with CGT (Swift & Ritz DDiS / Indica Vista / Palio MJD or the 90 PS VGT variant in the Linea), though a gem of an engine, cannot hold light to the 1.5 VGT mill that does the job in the Getz / Verna CRDi.

Punto is definitely going to be a great car in terms of features, build, and everything else, but I don't see it beat the Getz CRDi when it comes to the engine - what with the rumor mills saying that the 1.3 with the CGT is what is to be expected in India.

In other words, Punto MJD and i20 CRDi maybe having a show down (that is, if the i20 CRDi is priced sensibly - highly unlikely).

My answer will be:
Go for the Getz CRDi if you love the power, and have some spare bucks to upsize to 15" on 205/50 tires - that does a decent job of the handling & braking. You will be owning THE most powerful hatch in India that behaves decently with upgraded footwear, returns a decent mileage, acceptable A.S.S, availability of parts irrespective of the production cycle, and a better resale than the Fiat.

Go for the Palio MJD if you like Fiat and its build, and power is not the key criteria. You risk buying an end-of-production product, that does not have much of a resale, and the A.S.S is a question.

Wait for the Punto if power is not your key criteria, and you are looking for an economical, modern, striking-looker of a hatch with all the bells & whistles. More so if you are a Fiat fan-boy
Old 9th June 2009, 22:03   #25
BHPian

i am telling you man dont be in a hurry wait for the punto. test drive all of them then take decision.
Old 9th June 2009, 22:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

With the Launch of the Punto soon you should wait. Even if you don't buy the Punto, the Palio is an option because they will drop the price. To all those who say that the Palio is old and will be discontinued, what about the Getz? Whith the launch of the i20, the Getz will be discontinued too.
Old 9th June 2009, 22:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
For me, I can't think of even one reason going in favour of the Palio.
That clearly shows you know nothing about Palio!
So, please hold your horses!

If you want to know about Palio and Getz in a nutshell, pls read the below post:

Quote:
take your pick
Old 9th June 2009, 22:51   #28
BHPian

Apart from the so called FE, Getz will win hands down against Palio in terms of Built quality, ***, Handling, Power, interiors & many more...

So, go for Getz a super & troublefree car.
Old 9th June 2009, 23:08   #29
BHPian

Is it just me, or has the price correction of Getz reproduced a lot more potential buyers that were probably non existent a few days back!... including myself :-)
Old 10th June 2009, 00:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1.Getz has a great straight line speed but, you tend to loose confidence during corners,
2. also the brakes are not upto the mark for this monster engine.
3.otherwise its a good buy and certainly at a corrected price.
1. Have u tried cornering a Getz CRDi ?? or have u driven one? If yes then pls do share your experience.
2. Again why do u say so ? I've done 30k kms so far and haven't face any such issue.
3. If u say it lacks features like ABS then i would definitely agree with u but being overpriced is just cribbing without any reason... What do u expect from Hyundai ? To sell a 110 bhp car at less than 5lacs that too diesel /???

Quote:
1.Palio is a great car with the MJD,
2.great handling and
3.yes its not going to be discontinued soon so spares would not be a problem.
4.great FE figures, sturdy build, excellent drive and properly priced.
take your pick
1. MJD makes it a great car ???
2. With balloon like stock tires ?? lol
3. Are u sure it won't be discontinued anytime soon?? and spares won't be a problem ?
4. Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
That clearly shows you know nothing about Palio!
So, please hold your horses!

If you want to know about Palio and Getz in a nutshell, pls read the below post:
Actually its the other way round, you know nothing about Palio and Getz!
So, please park your horses!

If you want to know about Palio and Getz in a nutshell, pls read the above part of my post:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks