Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2009, 13:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

The current swift petrol engine is going to be phased out soon and it will come with the 1.2 on the ritz which is a superb engine in itself.
I would say avoid the swift petrol for now,
if you are interested in diesel ritz/swift both are equally good , just a matter of looks.
Petrol i would recommend i 20, or the ritz.

Last edited by ms001 : 23rd June 2009 at 13:53.
Old 23rd June 2009, 14:24   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blwetorch View Post
I drive a petrol Swift though.........I get in city is 16 kmpl and a little higher in the highways.
That is the first time I have heard such good mileage with Swift petrol or are you talking about your Indica diesel?
Old 23rd June 2009, 20:59   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelex View Post
That is the first time I have heard such good mileage with Swift petrol or are you talking about your Indica diesel?
No, no..........I am getting good mileage in my Swift LXI. I have done about 2400 kms in the last 3 months. I have purchased this in March end. We have only gone through the first service. At the beginning, I got 14.5 kms. But lately I am getting 16 kmspl......in mixed city/ highway.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th June 2009 at 13:19. Reason: please read the note in post, thanks
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blwetorch View Post
No, no..........I am getting good mileage in my Swift LXI. I have done about 2400 kms in the last 3 months. I have purchased this in March end. We have only gone through the first service. At the beginning, I got 14.5 kms. But lately I am getting 16 kmspl......in mixed city/ highway.
couldnt manage to get 16kmpl even on Highway when I went to chandigarh on a cousin's swift. 16 is amazing. My cousin gets around 12 in city and 14 on highway!!
Old 24th June 2009, 00:45   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
My cousin gets around 12 in city and 14 on highway!!
Thats more like swift petrol.
Old 24th June 2009, 01:41   #36
BHPian

My 20 cents for swift, its an excellent driver's car, with absolutely fantastic handling and just that perfect ride coupled with superb mileage. IMHO nothing can beat swift in current generation hatchbacks.
Old 24th June 2009, 10:57   #37
BHPian

ok so ritz is rejected. then i think i20 is the one for you. i have been seeing a lot of i20s on the road. fav colours are silver and white. it looks awesome. and its new and better than swift in terms of looks and space. when they say its uber cool its not that wrong actually when you see it.
Old 24th June 2009, 12:44   #38
BHPian

Quote:
My cousin gets around 12 in city and 14 on highway!!
12 on city drives is better than my 11.5, but the my Swift Vxi always returns 15.5 - 16.5 kmpl on the highway with a best figure of 16.8kmpl once on a 400 km drive.
Old 24th June 2009, 12:45   #39
Team-BHP Support

i20 looks very refreshing.
ABS+EBD and airbags make it a very safe car.

The only letdown is the low spec engine.
If only it had an engine worthy of the car.
Old 24th June 2009, 14:56   #40
BHPian

You're CTQ's

- Safe
- Comfortable
- Good Looking
- Usage Low

- i20 seems a very good fit here
- Ritz is a great choice as well. Should be cheaper to keep and better on fuel
- Swift: Between the Ritz and the Swift its a matter of choice of shape, newer engine v/s an older one, Much better plastics in the Ritz IMO.
Old 24th June 2009, 16:22   #41
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

My thoughts:

Swift - quite high on image as a Driver's car - ZXi expensive but BEST variant by far, no ZDi available I think, getting on for 4 years and getting dated-ish. I still like this car - good size and fun to drive.

I 20 - wonderful vehicle though it is a Hyundai effort (badge value) - excellent looking car plus more than enough in terms of features and fiddly bits.

Ritz - Unfortunately, viewed from behind, it is just plain ugly. Nice inside and got some good features in it etc, but its weird backside makes one think a bit. Plus you cant throw it around like you would a Swift - its suspension is way too soft. Its a good city car - people may like to buy it because of its size and ease in handling.

A - Star actually looks so much nicer than the Ritz. (not a bad idea for city use)

I 10 - if you can afford an I 20, why bother? ( prefer an A Star)

Honda Jazz - Expensive - very stylish - if you're looking for image value

Skoda Fabia - Frankly it is beginning to look a bit dated- very expensive car despite the build quality etc etc.

Grande Punto - Now yes, this is a car you feel like buying with your heart, not your head. Feels good and solid. Worthwhile in my opinion.

All other options are out of the window according to me.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 24th June 2009 at 16:24.
Old 28th June 2009, 20:26   #42

Cheers...

Thanks a lot guys for your advice and information.

After going thru the posts and having a look at the cars I have narrowed my choice to

- I20
- Swift

I am so far more keen towards I20 and would go for test drive and then decide. G.Punto is out of the question, didnt like that car.

If my parents say that I20 is slightly bigger than expected and they want a car thats smaller then only will consider I10 or Ritz.

So lets me test drive I20 and swift and look at overall features and price. Then I can say for sure what I want.

I know swift has proven itself, but I20 boasts of loads of features which were impressive. Moreover it also looks nice from the inside.
Old 29th June 2009, 09:47   #43
knp
BHPian

on the weekend, I did the test drive of i20 at Trident, Hosur road, bangalore. The car is very smooth, excellent braking but power steering seems to be overdone (it takes sometime to used to that).
The interior is excellent and has amazing features.
I also test drove i10 asta and even, it's pretty good. There is around 1.5Lacs difference between i10 asta and i20 asta.
But, when I took my mom to see if she is comfortable in i20, she felt bit difficult in getting into the car and comingout (she is obese and has knee problem).
So, I am thinking to go for i10, as she feels bit better (earlier, we were using santro).
Now, I am stuck between i10 and i20. We all liked i20, but mom is not comfortable in i20. Dealer says that it takes a while for mom to adjust to low seats in i20 as she has been sitting in santro. Is this correct?
Shall I still go for i20 hoping that mom would start used to that? or go for i10?
I am looking for all your inputs and I need to decide as early as possible.
Old 29th June 2009, 13:36   #44
BHPian

Quote:
couldnt manage to get 16kmpl even on Highway when I went to chandigarh on a cousin's swift. 16 is amazing. My cousin gets around 12 in city and 14 on highway!!
Actually I remember, that I use the Power version of petrol, which is slightly more expensive.
This gives more mileage than the ordinary petrol and helps keep the engine better. I am getting about 16 kmpl in mixed city and Highway driving for sure.
Old 29th June 2009, 14:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

checked out i20 and ritz

i went to check out the hyundai i20 and maruti ritz this weekend. here are my initial impressions of these 2 cars :

i20 : i felt that ingress/egress is a bit difficult in the i20 because of the low seats. i am average height (5'8"), but had a tough time getting into the driver's seat and the rear seats. (this may be because i am used to the easy ingress/egress in my i10, which is taller than i20, but shorter than santro). but once seated, the i20 seats are really comfortable.

knp, your mom would definitely have a problem getting in and out of i20.

another problem which i faced is that the road visibility was not very good because of the low seats. the wide body combined with long hood would make it comparatively difficult to drive in a congested city like bangalore. i20 is definitely not learner friendly, you need to have good judgment to drive this vehicle.

knp, please take these 2 factor very seriously if you are considering the i20.

i didn't take a test drive, so can't comment on the ride. but most T-bhp members have already posted opinions on the same. one obvious fact is that the kappa engine would definitely deliver better performance in i10 as compared to i20 because of the superior power to weight ratio in i10.

boot space in i20 is good, it also has the 60:40 split folding rear seats.

ritz : definitely looks ugly from the back (not an issue for me, i don't go by the looks).

has a new engine, which is supposed to be more fuel efficient. will have to wait and watch.

liked the overall space management, especially the rear 60:40 split folding rear seats. (why can't they provide this in i10 and swift)

quality of plastics is not up to the mark. the twin tone interiors are not impressive enough.

i didn't like the small speedometer console with all the indications cramped together. the tachometer (popping out of the dashboard) is plain ugly. the dashboard is a bit high which hampers road visibility.

didn't like the rear doors, they are too narrow. obese people will have a problem getting in and out of the rear doors.

@knp, i feel both these cars are not suitable for you. i suggest you go with the i10 asta, you would not regret your decision.

you could also check out fiat grande punto and tata indica vista. buy these at your own risk, the A.S.S. horror stories of tata and fiat dealerships are all over the forums.

rohan,
bangalore

Most Viewed