Fiat Punto Multijet 1.3 Diesel 346 47.79%
Hyundai i20 CRDi 1.4 Diesel 187 25.83%
Voters: 724. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2009, 15:26   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
i20 it should be. Punto, I think belongs to a lesser size class than i20.
In the European market, i20 is pegged below the Fiat Punto. As far as size is concerned they are almost the same with Hyundai having larger wheelbase.
Old 24th June 2009, 16:11   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
In the European market, i20 is pegged below the Fiat Punto. As far as size is concerned they are almost the same with Hyundai having larger wheelbase.
Dammit!! You stole my post!
Old 24th June 2009, 16:21   #63
BHPian

Euro NCAP comparison: i20 vs Jazz

Hyundai i20 has better overall score than Honda Jazz in Euro NCAP safety tests. Latest Fiat Grande Punto is not seen rated yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 or Fiat Grande Punto. EDIT- Poll added-euro-ncap.jpg  

Old 8th July 2009, 14:58   #64
BHPian

Wow, those scores are awesome for i20!

Hi Appuchan,

Pls mention the source- webiste of the image you have posted.
Old 8th July 2009, 15:16   #65
BHPian

Check this link

Euro NCAP - For safer cars | Latest results
Old 15th July 2009, 07:57   #66
BHPian

Friends,
I am back to this thread after a long time.Just wanted to update you guys that my bro-in-law is taking delivery of i20 Magna from Advaith today.Conisdering all pros and Cons we thought i20 would fit our needs.

BTW, where can we find the engine number in i20?Is it printed on the engine frame as is available in Palio?If so, i hope it would also have the manufacturing date too.
Can we also get to see the chasis number from the chasis frame under the floor carpets?Please , can anyone let me kow on how to find these in i20?
Old 16th July 2009, 14:42   #67
BHPian

My bro-in-law took delivery of his i20 yesterday - beryy red .I drove the car and it looks awesome.Ofcourse we can rate a car only after continuous usage.Maybe after 2 months or so.
Old 16th July 2009, 14:49   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blrboy View Post
My bro-in-law took delivery of his i20 yesterday - beryy red .I drove the car and it looks awesome.Ofcourse we can rate a car only after continuous usage.Maybe after 2 months or so.
Congrats to your brother-in-law. You should share the buying and initial ownership experience you had with Advaith.
Old 16th July 2009, 15:02   #69
BHPian

Congrats. Your choice was between 2 very good hatches. You could not go wrong with 2 great hatches. Enjoy your ride.
Old 16th July 2009, 15:13   #70
BHPian

Tough question. Ideally I would love the great hyundai engine in punto's engine bay.For such great handling car, this is a serious defect. And for the i20, so much power for dead steering.
Old 16th July 2009, 16:24   #71
BHPian

I found this wonderful review in this form. This might help you in your decision making.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...testdrive.html
Old 17th July 2009, 01:22   #72
aZa
Senior - BHPian

congrats on the new i20 ... the VIN number would be there on the sticker on the quater glass!

i20 is a great package! Im sure you are gonna love it
Old 20th July 2009, 00:52   #73

Being neither a hyundai fan or a fiat fan, helped me in getting an unbiased view of the two cars at the autocar show this weekend in Hyderabad. (17-18-19 July 2009)

I know a lot of people are going ga-ga over the fiat punto. What turned me off are:

Really poor plastic quality which is the first eye soar. Considering the 6.13 lacs (ex-showroom) pricetag, I didn't find leather seating even as an option even in the top end Linea. Music system control buttons and the dash finish looks bland and lacks taste and seems to be made by some technician in a hurry without those essential ergonomics and classy touch. Rear seats are cramped with lack of leg space and the rear glass panes roll down only half way makes you more claustrophobic than a swift. Havent driven it though, but for a moment considering outside the domain of driver's seat its definitely not where I'd be putting my near 7 lacs in.

Considering the i20, the first impression : its more curvy. But taking a look at the interiors, the car seems more plesant and appealing than the Punto. The high end comes with rear disc brakes and curtain air bags and the cloth upholstry and legspace scores above Punto. Taking the same observations outside the driver's seat, the car is definitely more appealing with better seats, and interiors.

Now even going by the specs, i20 definitely has more offerings than the punto some of which I mentioned : curtain airbags, and rear disc brakes, more powerful engine.

Hyundai also would score higher on their A.S.S. which Fiat is most likely to suffer from the indifferent attitude of most TATA dealers.

Considering i20 1.4 Asta Diesel @ 6.83 lacs (70K dearer than the punto emotion pk), I still feel i20 is better packaged. Putting a lot of features in a car with lack of the final fit and finish won't appeal to anyone who has eye for a detail.

I'd put my money on i20 if I'm going for a premium hatch any day over punto.
Old 20th July 2009, 13:59   #74
BHPian

I would not be interested in the petrols. So, my vote between Punto MJD and i20 CRDI. And I love good power than anything else. i20 CRDI is distinctively ahead in acceleration. I couldn't test Punto in a free stretch of road, whereas I got free wide Hosur road in a lean time for the i20 CRDI. But I know Punto wouldn't have done any better on free roads.

Also i20 gives a much better feel overall in the interior. Fiat should have done a little more on that front. Rest of the things are comparable on both cars. Ah! I forgot to mention about the jittery feeling of i20. I think that was because I had never driven electronic power steering cars before.

Yes. I vote for hyundai i20 CRDI.

But wait! wait! If I try to put a little more brain than heart, it should have been the Punto MJD. Fiat gives 2+2 years warranty with unlimited mileage. Hyundai won't even give an extended warranty, forget unlimited mileage. Punto needs oil change only once a year. i20 needs engine oil change every six months! Darn! I should expect that. They have half yearly service schedule even for petrol vehicles. Surely, Punto will be much cheaper to own.

Last edited by opendro : 20th July 2009 at 14:06.
Old 20th July 2009, 17:08   #75
BHPian

i20Magna CRDI vs Grande Punto CRDI Emotion +

Hi there,

I just went through the reports on the two cars and need a few clarifications.

The following factors are important
  • Maintenance costs & peace of mind from reliability issues.
  • I intend keeping the car with me for 5 years max, therefore looking for 1 Lakh kms+ over the same period. Considering my 6 year santro has clocked 87k+ kms.
  • Usability of Boot space & actual volume (after putting in a sub-woofer)
  • Ride & handling, comfort
  • Fuel Efficiency
  • Enough space for 4 persons + luggage.
  • Cost of spares. This being a significant factor as the car is going to be in the city 2/3'rds of the time.
    So, besides the cost of the usual filters & running items; the cost of fenders, lamps, etc that are the first casualties in the concrete jungle.
Now for the non-deciding factors
  • The on-board ICE system is to be replaced. So blue & me is worthless to me.
  • The outright power output is not very important, just the ability to cruise at 100/120kph is good enough.
  • Tyres will be upgraded straight out of the showroom.
  • Alloys & petes tuning box are options albeit a year down the line.
It'd be great if anybody can provide me with a spares cost comparo along with the maintenance schedules.

Awaiting decision helping responses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks