Fiat Punto Petrol 1.2 6 0.83%
Fiat Punto Petrol 1.4 80 11.05%
Fiat Punto Multijet 1.3 Diesel 346 47.79%
Hyundai i20 CRDi 1.4 Diesel 187 25.83%
Voters: 724. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 20:59   #76
Senior - BHPian

@ St.anger - My suggestions in Bold........

(Disclaimer - This is my personal opinion)
  • Maintenance costs & peace of mind from reliability issues - i20
  • I intend keeping the car with me for 5 years max, therefore looking for 1 Lakh kms+ over the same period. Considering my 6 year santro has clocked 87k+ kms - i20
  • Usability of Boot space & actual volume (after putting in a sub-woofer) - Punto
  • Ride & handling - Punto comfort - i20
  • Fuel Efficiency - Almost same.
  • Enough space for 4 persons + luggage - i20
  • Cost of spares. This being a significant factor as the car is going to be in the city 2/3'rds of the time - Not sure.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 20th July 2009 at 21:01.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:51   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Anger View Post
Hi there,

I just went through the reports on the two cars and need a few clarifications.

The following factors are important
  • Maintenance costs & peace of mind from reliability issues.
  • I intend keeping the car with me for 5 years max, therefore looking for 1 Lakh kms+ over the same period. Considering my 6 year santro has clocked 87k+ kms.
  • Usability of Boot space & actual volume (after putting in a sub-woofer)
  • Ride & handling, comfort
  • Fuel Efficiency
  • Enough space for 4 persons + luggage.
  • Cost of spares. This being a significant factor as the car is going to be in the city 2/3'rds of the time.
    So, besides the cost of the usual filters & running items; the cost of fenders, lamps, etc that are the first casualties in the concrete jungle.
Now for the non-deciding factors
  • The on-board ICE system is to be replaced. So blue & me is worthless to me.
  • The outright power output is not very important, just the ability to cruise at 100/120kph is good enough.
  • Tyres will be upgraded straight out of the showroom.
  • Alloys & petes tuning box are options albeit a year down the line.
It'd be great if anybody can provide me with a spares cost comparo along with the maintenance schedules.

Awaiting decision helping responses.
You are staring at two very competitive cars. i20 has more neater interior and higher power, but price is proportionately more for that. The two are comparable in all other terms: maintenerance will be slightly cheaper for Punto, Punto's engine is more proven than i20, Hyundai is known for better A.S.S. from the past records, fuel efficiency will be almost the same, boot space and cabin space are almost the same. Leaving aside the blue&me, i20 has more features (small but convenient), i20 has electronic ultra light steering while punto has heavier but well weighted one. Punto is quiter and has less vibration but i20 is more refined at higher speed. i20 will give more comfortable ride but punto will give better handling. Punto has more warranty than i20, though I don't really think that i20 engine could create problem.

Now, you must be at a big confusion. Either car will not disappoint you in my opinion.
Old 21st July 2009, 11:19   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Anger View Post
Hi there,

I just went through the reports on the two cars and need a few clarifications.

The following factors are important
  • Maintenance costs & peace of mind from reliability issues. - i20
  • I intend keeping the car with me for 5 years max, therefore looking for 1 Lakh kms+ over the same period. Considering my 6 year santro has clocked 87k+ kms. - i20
  • Usability of Boot space & actual volume (after putting in a sub-woofer) - i20
  • Ride & handling, comfort - Punto
  • Fuel Efficiency - Almost same
  • Enough space for 4 persons + luggage. - i20
  • Cost of spares. This being a significant factor as the car is going to be in the city 2/3'rds of the time. - Not sure
    So, besides the cost of the usual filters & running items; the cost of fenders, lamps, etc that are the first casualties in the concrete jungle.
Punto is definitely value for money. But i20 is a better package at a higher cost.
Old 21st July 2009, 11:30   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
But wait! wait! If I try to put a little more brain than heart, it should have been the Punto MJD. Fiat gives 2+2 years warranty with unlimited mileage. Hyundai won't even give an extended warranty, forget unlimited mileage. Punto needs oil change only once a year. i20 needs engine oil change every six months! Darn! I should expect that. They have half yearly service schedule even for petrol vehicles. Surely, Punto will be much cheaper to own.
It is incorrect to say Hyundai does not give extended warranty.Hyundai gives extended warranty for its vehicles. I have taken 2+3 years extended warranty for my Getz. But it is not unlimited mileage. Great if Fiat is giving extended warranty with unlimited mileage.

I am glad that Punto has extended service interval/ oil change compared to other manufacturers. But I believe oil change every 15000 kms with mineral oil is not good considering the stress in city driving conditions. Lets wait and watch how Punto will fare in the long term.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 21st July 2009 at 11:31.
Old 21st July 2009, 13:32   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
It is incorrect to say Hyundai does not give extended warranty.Hyundai gives extended warranty for its vehicles. I have taken 2+3 years extended warranty for my Getz. But it is not unlimited mileage. Great if Fiat is giving extended warranty with unlimited mileage.

I am glad that Punto has extended service interval/ oil change compared to other manufacturers. But I believe oil change every 15000 kms with mineral oil is not good considering the stress in city driving conditions. Lets wait and watch how Punto will fare in the long term.
I was talking about the i20 CRDI. They are giving only 2 years 80Mm warranty, not extendable.

Fiat recommends oil change every year or 15Mm. I have actually clocked close to 9Mm on Linea. I can see that oil is pretty dirty, but not an expert to say how bad it is. It is running well though.
Old 21st July 2009, 18:57   #81
BHPian

Punto/Linea run on fully-synthetic oil. That's why it lasts longer till 15000km.
And abroad, the service interval is 30,000kms!

PS: Your profilepic & username really match!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post

Last edited by neotraveller : 21st July 2009 at 18:59.
Old 22nd July 2009, 00:09   #82
BHPian

i20 1.4L Magna vs GP 1.3L MFD Emo Pk

@ Faithless_1984, Neotraveller, PatienceWins, Opendro; thanks for such a quick, honest & open response guys.

Pricewise too is not so much an issue. All cars in my family are registered in South Maharashtra for personal reasons, so i intend making the purchase from a dealer in New Bombay to save some more for accessories & ICEcepades
( All this is done within the legal framework, so no worries from the authorities)

As a fellow Santro owner, both cars are going to be significantly better in terms of ride, handling, features & space.

For me the biggest factor is going to be maintenance. It's nice to know that Fiat is offering unlimited mileage warranty.
But i wonder what will it be with the i20 ? 80000 kms is lot of running, something that'll easily take me around 4 years to clock up.

The Punto is after my heart, but there are major red flags concerning Fiat. European makes have higher spares & maintenance cost vs the Korean/Japs.

One instance that i came across was when the Aicon is to be serviced/repaired. In the Fiat(Palio), the dash has to be opened up, and the Air con gas has to be replaced. Int he Santro, this is not required. Even keeping the cost of gas constant, the labor & parts cost were significantly higher for the Palio.

Even when i checked with my regular mechanic, he said that Fiats over time are heavier on Maintenance, vs the Hyundai counterparts, both in terms of spares cost & labor too. Spares availability too is an issue it seems.

All this is merely speculative, based purely on past observations. The Uno, Adventure, Palio & now the GP. Fiat has always been known for robust, sturdy cars. But reliability & peace of mind is something that is a bit of a grey area with them.

I'm going to test drive both of them sometime next week for an A/B comparison.

Can someone help me with the On-Road pricing of the i20 1.4L Diesel Magna & the Grande Punto 1.3MFD Emotion Pack in Mumbai/Thane/Navi-Mumbai

Any dealers in the Western Suburbs of Mumbai that can be recommended for both marques ?
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:36   #83
BHPian

I do not think that FIAT has higher costs of spares. I think it is now one of the lowest, after Maruti and very competitive vs Hyundai. The spare parts prie list is available with any dealer and you can request one from both FIAT and Hyundai and do a comparison.
Do a test drive of both the cars and make your decision.
Old 23rd July 2009, 02:05   #84
Senior - BHPian

What is the absolute on road cost of the I20 crdi asta in Mumbai with regn and taxes?? If I drive 5 km a day, and still want a diesel for its performance, am I an idiot? I feel its no longer a thumb rule, that diesels need to be run a large distance per day. Is that true with modern day crdis?
Old 23rd July 2009, 06:36   #85
BHPian

@Seeler Reberio,
I wasn't aware that the company dealer would be willing to share the spares price list with a customer.

In that case, why is it so difficult for them to just peg a copy of it to their website for the benefit of everyone ?

Frank, we all looove your ICE, why would anyone call you an idiot. Besides, in case of any dissidents, you can just show them the tools of your trade & you won't even hear a pipsqueak, LOL !!!

Anyways,
if you are so gung ho about the i20, why let anyone sway your opinion ? It's your dough, you are the one who'll live with the car, so you take the final call.

All the best & keep me posted. After all, both of us are sailing in the same channel, you in your luxury yacht & me in my motorboat.

Cheers
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:12   #86
BHPian

[quote=St. Anger;1397217]@Seeler Reberio,
I wasn't aware that the company dealer would be willing to share the spares price list with a customer.

The spare parts /accessories list price is available at the service centers (and not the the dealerships). If you walk in to a FIAT/TATA service center you will easily get the spare price list. Some Maruti Service centers even have that put up on a board in the reception area for all to see. I am not sure of Hyundai but they would have that too.

You can check this link for FIAT Palio 1.6 spare parts price
http://myfiatworld.com/mambo/index.p...1.6-parts.html

The details are slightly old though.

I do not know the reason why they do not put it up on their website, perhaps they cannot quote one price for all cities and towns due to Octroi and other taxes.
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:34   #87
BANNED

This is bit complicated poll - actually 2 polls merged.
First I had to decide between petrol & diesel. Petrol for me.
Next I had to decide between Hyundai & Fiat. Hyundai has history of making successful hatches in India. So my vote for Hyundai i20 Petrol.
Old 23rd July 2009, 17:19   #88
BHPian

i20 1.4CRDI Test Drive Report

The Dealer - Modi Hyundai

Venue - Malad (W)

I just looked up an advert in today's Bombay Times and called in for a test drive at Modi Hyundai.

The receptionist very kindly transferred me to a GSA who asked me for the details. Upon hearing the test drive request, she immediately told me that the company had not released any Demo model for Test drives. So i should drive the petrol & decide .

I quietly asked her if she would spend 7 lakh of her own without trying it out herself. Upon this, she then transferred me to her supervisor who told me that though there was no Demo vehicle, they did have one particular vehicle which would be available for a short test around 'Mindspace', Malad.

I immediately confirmed a time & reached over at around half past one.

The car - It was a beige colored Asta trimmed version.

Engine:

The engine felt peppy enough. Anything would be an improvement over our Santro, but i was actually benchmarking it against the Tata Dicor, (I know guys) & the Ford Duratorq.

I was happy with the drive characteristics, the gearing felt a bit different & would take me a while to get used to it.

Suspension:

Typical Hyundai, stiff yet pliant enough to keep the rear passengers comfortable.

Passenger Space:

Unlike a few comments about the space both Fore & aft, i was immediately at home in the spacious cabin. It had enough space at the rear, even if i decided to stretch my legs in the front. My brother whilst driving, usually pulls the seat much closer than me & then even i could stretch out behind him.

Couldn't click any pics, sorry about that.

Boot Space:

Visually, this is a big hatch, comfy for the passengers & spacious to boot. But the Luggage space was a let down. I expected it to be at-least 50% more than what i saw in front of me. Benchmarked this against the Fiesta & the City.

Steering:

The steering felt like a joke. Over servoed, totally lifeless, it felt more like a Maruti than a Hyundai. It was absolutely disconnected from the road, more at home on those coin operated arcade games than a 7 lakh + road going car.

Price:

On-road Mumbai prices for the

Magna were Rs. 7,20,142 and

Asta were Rs. 7,93,314

Parts Cost:

I just asked about the regular victims of traffic skirmishes in city traffic & this is what i got.

Side Mirrors
(Manual) Rs. 1,344-1,912/- (Depending upon the chassis number of the car) + Rs 2,000/- for body colored paint.

Headlamp : Rs.2,993

Tail Lamp: Rs. 1,998

Fog Lamp: Rs. 2,042 Per Pair

Bumper: Rs. 1,375/- + Rs. 3,500
for body colored paint.

Summary:

To me, being a Hyundai, the i20 fell short on a few important issues. First was the relatively inadequate boot space, next was the high list price for base version and the biggest disappointment if them all was the pathetic joke of a steering.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 25th July 2009, 13:03   #89
Senior - BHPian

Seriously, Its hard to choose from the two of em'!!

I'm in a similar dilemma myself!
wanted to go for i20 1.4 in petrol, but it only has A/T!! :(
Old 25th July 2009, 13:13   #90
Senior - BHPian

I would anyday prefer a Fiat brand,though the model is debatable in the GP range.
My favourite would be GP 1.4 Emotion pack.

Most Viewed