Fiat Punto Petrol 1.4 80 11.05%
Fiat Punto Multijet 1.3 Diesel 346 47.79%
Hyundai i20 CRDi 1.4 Diesel 187 25.83%
Voters: 724. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2009, 13:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

i20 for me!

go and visit the service centres of hyundai and TATA/FIAT and see which is more organised, customer friendly and cheaper to maintain a car!

we go to a swanky showroom just once to buy the car, but have to go to the service centre again and again to get the car serviced!

also check the CSI of both the companies!

Old 20th June 2009, 13:35   #17
BHPian

Need to drive the GP first in order to come to a conclusion. On first impressions however, the i20 is definitely better put together than the GP. Looks are subjective ofcourse. The GP's reviews, atleast the ones that we have come across on the forum as well as on T.V (today's autocar episode) mention that the GP has issues regarding space, quality of some plastics is suspect, though overall the interiors look good and the diesel engine is noisy and not as well tuned as its Maruti rivals. The 1.4 petrol is smooth, refined and just about adequate for the job and in no means a slouch. There are other positives - class leading ride and brilliant handing, looks, good comfortable seats (both front and rear) and the terrific value proposition with great features.

I, however, would wait for the i20 diesel to take the decision if a diesel car is reqd. There were talks of a 1.4 100 bhp petrol motor to power the i20 as well. If launched, I think that car would make the most sense if a petrol car is what you are looking for, provided you are ready to pay a price for it.

VFM - Punto
Quality (and consequently a higher price for that) - i20

Last edited by roms : 20th June 2009 at 13:43.
Old 20th June 2009, 13:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Was just lazying around on a Saturday morning when i got some info about the i20 Crdi so thought why not tickle around with a few Fiat fan boys.

Fiat cars are just brilliant. Anything which produces more horses than Fiat is too dangerous on Indian roads and anything which produces less horses than Fiat is virtually not driveable and not built to last.
When you dont have anything worthwhile to say you resort to unwanted sarcasm. It isnt least bit funny... even the smiley is out of place. Come up with something better next time so that I dont ignore it.
Old 20th June 2009, 13:37   #19
BHPian

i20 would be my choice, but with a crdi engine. Its way too hot looking to have a puny 1.2 engine.
Old 20th June 2009, 13:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

@roms... the 1.4 Litre CRDi comes in two states of tune with same torque rating but higher power 75 bhp and 90 bhp. There is no question of 100 bhp diesel unless they use Verna engine or re-tune the 1.4 CRDi which is highly improbable.
i20 with the Verna CRDi engine would be a stonker if priced sensibly.
Old 20th June 2009, 13:46   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
@roms... the 1.4 Litre CRDi comes in two states of tune with same torque rating but higher power 75 bhp and 90 bhp. There is no question of 100 bhp diesel unless they use Verna engine or re-tune the 1.4 CRDi which is highly improbable.
i20 with the Verna CRDi engine would be a stonker if priced sensibly.
Sorry and thanks, mised out the word 'petrol' there. Its the 1.4 100 bhp petrol that I meant. Just edited my post. I believe it was on of the threads on the forum and Autocar that mentioned the probable launch of a 1.4 petrol. The diesel's output - 75 bhp or 90 bhp as you mention is a mystery. The 1.5 CRDI from would indeed make the i20 a stonker.

Last edited by roms : 20th June 2009 at 13:47.
Old 20th June 2009, 13:49   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
The 1.5 CRDI from would indeed make the i20 a stonker.

I seriously doubt this would happen. Hyundai is already exporting the 1.4 crdi to Europe, so I doubt they would put a different engine just for India.
Old 20th June 2009, 14:08   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
I seriously doubt this would happen. Hyundai is already exporting the 1.4 crdi to Europe, so I doubt they would put a different engine just for India.
Yup, the 1.4 CRDI that is currently being exported will most probably find its way under the i20's hood. It will be interesting to see what state of tune they launch it in - if its the 75 bhp motor, the Gp and i20 will have level playing field in terms of performance, but GP will score on VFM. If its the 90 bhp, then the i20 would have an upper hand (provided one is ready to pay for it).

I was just hoping against hope that they change their minds and plonk the 1.5 CRDI

Last edited by roms : 20th June 2009 at 14:10.
Old 20th June 2009, 15:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If its the 90 bhp, then the i20 would have an upper hand
Yeah but the Fiat will still have better dynamics because Hyundai will mess it up with the light steering and soft suspension.

My take is:

- i20 and GP 75bhp motors, GP all the way.

- i20 - 90bhp and GP 75bhp motor - again GP due to better steering and dynamics.

- i20 1.5L 110bhp and GP 75 bhp - i20. I can ignore the steering and dynamics then.

- i20 1.5L 110 bhp and GP 90bhp - very tough decision. I'd go with GP again.

- i20 1.5L 110bhp and GP 1.6L 110bhp - I'll pick the GP with my eyes closed.
Old 20th June 2009, 16:19   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Poll or no poll, I vote for the Punto. Took a TD yesterday. It's a great car. Much better than the i20. I can't understand why people worry about resale before even buying the car. First buy the car, enjoy it and then think of resale. Just because the resale is better don't make a compromise while buying and settle for a car you don't really like.

i agree. i am 23. looking forward to punto to be as my first car.

i was also thinking about fiat and its resale value before buying i will have to sell the car in 2 years. no one gonna drive it. i am planning to go to US for studies.(MBA) my father said to me if you love this car so much how bad you will feel when you will have to sell it. i would rather leave it here in india let my dad enjoy it this type of car is a keeper. it will still give you joy even after 5 years. i think punto's build is such that it will last for a long time.

Last edited by Caramelo : 20th June 2009 at 16:20.
Old 20th June 2009, 16:22   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Yeah but the Fiat will still have better dynamics because Hyundai will mess it up with the light steering and soft suspension.
If we keep in mind their track record, yes Hyundai will most probably mess up the dynamics on the i20 diesel. But if the current 1.2 i20's suspension & chassis set-up is to be taken into account for future reference, then the dynamics may not be as flawed as say, the Verna D or the Getz D. I have not pushed the i20 much, so cant comment on its high speed abilities, but from I could gather from my short TD was that the chassis set-up was pretty good, the suspension was decently stiff, it was just the steering that had that artificial EPS feel, but even then the car was quite chuckable and even with quick lane change maneuvers, body roll was pretty controlled. And the steering is not extra-light like the one on Honda Jazz. But all this at around 60-80 km/h in city conditions. So I did enjoy driving that car, save for the steering and the engine itself. With a 195/55 R15 tyre upgrade from the stock 185/65 R14 setup, the handling should be even better. Then again, its not stock, its an upgrade that an owner will have to make to further enhance the driving dynamics. Lets hope that they tune the dynamics decently for the diesel.

But, whatever they do, even I am sure they will not be able to match up to the kind of steering-chassis-suspension set-up that the Fiats have, especially when the Punto is being touted to probably have the best ride and handling set-up yet. The fine compromise between ride and handling has always been Fiat's forte. Waiting to get my hands on one.

Last edited by roms : 20th June 2009 at 16:34.
Old 21st June 2009, 10:24   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Sweep away GP with a 1.4 Litre 75 bhp diesel engine???? Sorry mate I dont think so.
The 1.4L 75bhp engine is for emission purposes in the UK. The 1.4L engine is actually available in 89bhp and not 74. So it is likely that it will sweep away the GP.

Just because Fiat brought the underpowered 75PS tune engine in the Punto does not mean Hyundai will do the same.

Fiat missed out on a great opportunity. They could have got the 89bhp tuned Linea engine and had a great car but they chose to get the slower one for such a heavy hatch.
Old 21st June 2009, 11:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

@vid... have a look at i20's UK website and see for yourself? Its available in both the tunes. As far as 76 ps, 197 nm 'underpowered' is concerned, I drive my cousins Vista Quadrajet regularly which has marginally less power and torque and it feels perfectly fine so I dont think Punto which is just 50 kgs heavier should be any different. If you have read GTO's reviews the diesel Punto goes to 130-140 kmph pretty fast and I dont think there are many places in India where you would want to go faster than that.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 21st June 2009 at 11:27.
Old 21st June 2009, 11:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If we keep in mind their track record, yes Hyundai will most probably mess up the dynamics on the i20 diesel. But if the current 1.2 i20's suspension & chassis set-up is to be taken into account for future reference, then the dynamics may not be as flawed as say, the Verna D or the Getz D.
Wow! Never knew Getz and Verna had flawed chassis and dynamics.
Please care to explain how ?

Quote:
But, whatever they do, even I am sure they will not be able to match up to the kind of steering-chassis-suspension set-up that the Fiats have, especially when the Punto is being touted to probably have the best ride and handling set-up yet. The fine compromise between ride and handling has always been Fiat's forte. Waiting to get my hands on one.
May be true for Punto ( I haven't driven one) but do not generalize it for all Fiat cars. I had Palio 1.2 for 6months and it used to roll like Verna around the corners with all its tank like weight but yes, the ride quality was phenomenal.
Now should i also declare the Palio 1.2 chassis and dynamics to be a flawed one ??

Last edited by kpzen : 21st June 2009 at 11:34.
Old 21st June 2009, 11:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Hyundai (yes Hunday) i20. I also hope the Getz CRDi engine is plonked in the i20. Someone said on this thread early July. I read somehwhere it was coming at the end of the year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks