Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 00:06   #31
BANNED

i20 as per me is a bit cramped when compared to the GP.

Swift is now getting old, and ritz already has its hunch up.

GP shoud be the best bet
Old 15th September 2009, 01:17   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
My monthly running is not expected to cross 800 kms, at least for a year or so, may go up after that (currently 16 kms of daily running, some weekend short trips, once in 2 months long trips). Around 60/40 city/highway split.
you can go for petrol concerning your monthly run. you have to compromise on FE that 1.4 gives.
Assuming you pay more than 1 lac for a diesel version with FE in mind, then you will compensate the cost after 3 to 4 yrs run and that too yours is a very short run monthly. So it takes much more time. (maths involved - yearly fuel cost+maintenance+price diff between petrol and diesel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
  • Any other important points that I should know in petrol/diesel comparison?
The resale value of diesel is higher than petrol
Old 15th September 2009, 09:35   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech View Post
Assuming you pay more than 1 lac for a diesel version with FE in mind, then you will compensate the cost after 3 to 4 yrs run and that too yours is a very short run monthly.
IIRC, the on road price difference between Punto 1.4 Emotion+ and MJD Emotion+ is not more than 65K in Bangalore.
Old 15th September 2009, 10:03   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
IIRC, the on road price difference between Punto 1.4 Emotion+ and MJD Emotion+ is not more than 65K in Bangalore.
Oh yes! apologies, the difference comes around 60-65.
I have booked Active petrol and its price difference is around 1Lac for a diesel. Thought the same might be here also.
Old 15th September 2009, 12:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaiakhr View Post
@silentengine
But if you are comfortable with the initial price of a Diesel it will be a good option, and it will make more sense too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
yes, the OTR price difference is 58K (as per last quote from dealer, could be little more now) between the two models. This is the main reason why i am considering diesel, if the difference was close to 1L like in most other cars, i would have settled for the petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech View Post
The resale value of diesel is higher than petrol
of course yes!
Old 16th September 2009, 16:07   #36
BHPian

Hi friends. I was looking for a second hand punto but i guess will have to go for a new one only coz there are hardly any second hands in the market as of now. Usually I believe in getting car on down payment but will have to get 2.5L Loan in this case. My budget is Strict at 5.5L (after loan) and I am very very confused between Punto Dynamic Diesel and Emotion Petrol. I will keep my car for 10 years minimum.

Right now my monthly running is 500 KMS at max. Somtimes a lil less sometimes a lil more. But I am sure it'll be more than 500 after I buy my new car because of initial craze for somtime atleast. My daily commuting is around 6 KMS every day 3KMS from home till metro station and vice versa. On weekends I have 100KMS trips on highway and ring road. But this doesn’t mean every weekend, So when I say 500KMS month its on a higher side. Do I warrant a Diesel Punto? or Petrol 1.4 will suffice?

Also I am not able to see much difference between Punto Dynamic and Emotion. (Emotion Pack is out of my reach financially) Please enlighten.
Old 16th September 2009, 16:21   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
I am very very confused between Punto Dynamic Diesel and Emotion Petrol. I will keep my car for 10 years minimum.

Right now my monthly running is 500 KMS at max. Somtimes a lil less sometimes a lil more. But I am sure it'll be more than 500 after I buy my new car because of initial craze for somtime atleast. My daily commuting is around 6 KMS every day 3KMS from home till metro station and vice versa. On weekends I have 100KMS trips on highway and ring road. But this doesn’t mean every weekend, So when I say 500KMS month its on a higher side. Do I warrant a Diesel Punto? or Petrol 1.4 will suffice?
The petrol variant is a better bet in this case as your usage and mileage would be low. The whole purpose of buying a diesel is if you're doing lots of distance! And it's a more practical option as you're looking to keep the car for 10 years. Also, diesel cars lose their reliability and would require lots of replacements of running parts over the years.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:32   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Also, diesel cars lose their reliability and would require lots of replacements of running parts over the years.
Can anyone confirm this? I was all minds for Petrol 1.4 Punto but recent discounts from Fiat has made me start thinking between petrol and diesel. My monthly KMS are 500. I had budget of 6.10L for Punto Petrol now the diesel is 6.4L Just 30K more. (Though price of petrol now is 5.89L, but I was all game to spend 6.10L.) So is it sensible to spend another 30K and get Diesel Emotion pack?

I assume the Total ownership cost of both will be same or may be a notch more for Diesel if my running doesn’t increase.

So performance and drive wise which one is better, as written by some Diesel is better performer than petrol but someone also wrote they perform same If you just press the accelerator harder in petrol. (I have TDed Petrol 1.4 found it to be quite sluggish to be hones but not Diesel 1.3 yet).

For pure fun of driving which one should be bought?

What are other issues regarding diesel that I should know of, I have never owned a diesel before just driven a verna at one occasion and innova? Please Reply I need to book the car ASAP.

@GTO Please leave your valuable suggestions as you have driven both the models, also have not again started a new thread so I deserve some brownie points as well.

Last edited by somebodystopme : 12th October 2009 at 15:33.
Old 12th October 2009, 16:28   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

only a couple of points.

with a regular monthly run of 500 klicks it certainly doesnt make sense to buy diesel.

however, should the purchase of your diesel car motivate you to do more out of town drives and more frequently too, then it is certainly worth considering.

however, should the latter case above not be applicable for any reason; from the pure fun of driving angle and in-city dynamics, in my opinion a petrol will always be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
Can anyone confirm this? I was all minds for Petrol 1.4 Punto but recent discounts from Fiat has made me start thinking between petrol and diesel. My monthly KMS are 500. I had budget of 6.10L for Punto Petrol now the diesel is 6.4L Just 30K more. (Though price of petrol now is 5.89L, but I was all game to spend 6.10L.) So is it sensible to spend another 30K and get Diesel Emotion pack?

I assume the Total ownership cost of both will be same or may be a notch more for Diesel if my running doesn’t increase.

So performance and drive wise which one is better, as written by some Diesel is better performer than petrol but someone also wrote they perform same If you just press the accelerator harder in petrol. (I have TDed Petrol 1.4 found it to be quite sluggish to be hones but not Diesel 1.3 yet).

For pure fun of driving which one should be bought?

What are other issues regarding diesel that I should know of, I have never owned a diesel before just driven a verna at one occasion and innova? Please Reply I need to book the car ASAP.

@GTO Please leave your valuable suggestions as you have driven both the models, also have not again started a new thread so I deserve some brownie points as well.
Old 12th October 2009, 17:39   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ Somebodystopme : As I've stated earlier, you MUST go for the Punto diesel over the petrol. Here's why:

- Outright performance is nearly the same! Hardly a one second difference in the 0 - 100

- And the diesel has better driveability

- And way better fuel efficiency

- And way better resale (going by trends over the last 10 years).

It simply doesn't make sense to go for the Punto petrol which has neither the power nor the efficiency. Go for the diesel, its a jewel of an engine.
Old 13th October 2009, 11:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

@Somebodystopme
i had similar dilemma to start with, but decided to go with diesel.
my reasons:
- better FE
- even though my running is minimal now, it will definitely go up with Punto
- Petrol-Diesel variant difference is less compared to other cars (swift/ritz/i20 etc), so the general thumb rule of 1000 KM/month is not really applicable here, even with slightly lesser monthly running, you will recover the initial cost quicker.
Old 13th October 2009, 11:46   #42
BANNED

By the looks of it more and more cars with a petrol/diesel option (esp. those qualifying for the lower excise) have pathetic petrol engines. One reason could be the very high popularity in the South. I hope with EIV we shall be seeing more powerful petrols in these cars. Wile the diesel is supreme in fuel costs and torque it cannot match the petrol for smoothness, linear delivery of power, and longevity.
Old 13th October 2009, 12:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

Driving in congested cities like Pune /Bangalore and taking U turns / right angle turns is really a painful in a FIAT Palio/Punto.
I was really struggling with it recently in tight congested situations. The vehicle just does not want to turn …phew.
Don’t know why they have such large turning radius seriously FIAT should redesign this.

I know I have pointed out one of the negatives, but surely Punto has lot of good things to offer like excellent suspension setup, brilliant body styling, etc etc.

In my opinion Jazz (Minus the price tag) or a Ritz better suit your requirements.
Old 13th October 2009, 12:37   #44
BHPian

Well the choice is obvious and as many fellow BHP'ians have suggested - Go for Diesel - Supreme Engine , Low fuel costs - only thing u may have to compensate is the ride on diesel - Petrol is like Butter , but diesel advantages overshadows this.
Old 13th October 2009, 12:49   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
@ Somebodystopme : As I've stated earlier, you MUST go for the Punto diesel over the petrol. Here's why:

- Outright performance is nearly the same! Hardly a one second difference in the 0 - 100

- And the diesel has better driveability

- And way better fuel efficiency

- And way better resale (going by trends over the last 10 years).

It simply doesn't make sense to go for the Punto petrol which has neither the power nor the efficiency. Go for the diesel, its a jewel of an engine.
+1 to that. I have an eleven years old Uno and am getting 1L for that. Somebody wrote about frequent parts change and maintenance problem. That is true if you are buying a technology of late 70s/early 80s vintage. Punto is late 90s and all such fears are ill founded. A 1.3 MJD Dynamic will fulfill your requirements to the max.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed