Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2009, 15:51   #91
BHPian

Sorry forgot the attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Punto Petrol or Diesel.xls (31.5 KB, 964 views)
Old 26th October 2009, 19:15   #92
Senior - BHPian

@ somebodystopme & samsan02, thanks for sharing your views.
Looks like its a Diesel all the way since it has more than 1 benefit over the petrol version.
1) Tried and tested engine.
2) Fuel efficiency.
3) Resale value.
4) Better driveability.

The only thing I am still worried about is the Servicing/Maintenance cost of diesel over petrol.

@ samsan02, thanks for the excel sheet. According to you calculations one will spend Rs. 5000/- in case of petrol and Rs. 15000/- in case of a diesel Punto over a period of 5 years. I can relate this information as "The diesel Servicing/Maintenance cost is 3 times that of a petrol". Is it correct? (Sorry If I misunderstood your calculation).
Old 27th October 2009, 00:28   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
1) Tried and tested engine.
2) Fuel efficiency.
3) Resale value.
4) Better driveability.
Hammerhead, dont just hurry up into deciding something by looking at just advantages. If you go by the above 4 then no one will buy petrol cars ever.
1.4 and MJD do the duty on world over Puntos so both are tried and tested.MJD is just famous in india because its in demand in swifts, Indicas and Diesel is cheaper in India.

FE MJD has definitely advantage, but look at real figures again many bhpians have reported from 14 to 22 kmpl.

Looking at current trend yes can expect good resale, but believe me Car condition really matters here,years elapsed and no of kms on the odo.

Better drieveability - Do TD every week 4 to 5 times and judge for yourself. Dont rely on anyone for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I can relate this information as "The diesel Servicing/Maintenance cost is 3 times that of a petrol". Is it correct? (Sorry If I misunderstood your calculation).
The figures mentioned are just approximate numbers , never owned a car in India to judge myself. Better ask some Swift petrol/diesel owners to have a fair idea. There are many for whom diesel maintenance is a big turn off and they stick to petrol.
Old 27th October 2009, 01:00   #94
BHPian

Check this out it has actual figures
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post1545856
Old 27th October 2009, 10:25   #95
BHPian

Hi samson,
Thanks for the pdf but i need to mention here that 15000 one time repair for diesel in pdf is totally incorrect, if you change all the parts in Punto relating to it being diesel it wont go over 8K. Which as it is never happens, So the PDF is highly flawed. To confirm this am attaching the comparison chart of Punto diesel vs others though some serviceable parts are of petrol as well but still it doesnt go over 8K. I dont think there will ever be a need to open the engine. How 15K value is justified for modern diesel engine its out of my understanding.

I also feel it was just too much business to even include interest for the difference amount in pure calculation of Diesel vs Petrol. Some big time banker must have prepared this.

Cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf puntospare.pdf (473.1 KB, 608 views)
Old 27th October 2009, 12:28   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
Hi samson,
Thanks for the pdf but i need to mention here that 15000 one time repair for diesel in pdf is totally incorrect, if you change all the parts in Punto relating to it being diesel it wont go over 8K. Which as it is never happens, So the PDF is highly flawed. To confirm this am attaching the comparison chart of Punto diesel vs others though some serviceable parts are of petrol as well but still it doesnt go over 8K. I dont think there will ever be a need to open the engine. How 15K value is justified for modern diesel engine its out of my understanding.

I also feel it was just too much business to even include interest for the difference amount in pure calculation of Diesel vs Petrol. Some big time banker must have prepared this.

Cheers.
I think you probably didn't understand the calculations. Let me explain

Diesel Car Service Cost -1time 5000.00 - (Approx one time cost can be lesser or more so change accordingly)
Petrol Car Service Cost -1time 2000.00 - (Approx one time cost can be lesser or more so change accordingly)

"Diesel Car extra Maintenance cost
(Through years of possesion of car)" 15000.00 -(Approx extra cost over 5 years in the example can be lesser or more so change accordingly its optional thou)

"Petrol Car extra Maintenance cost
(Through years of possesion of car)" 5000.00 (Approx extra cost over 5 years in the example can be lesser or more so change accordingly its optional thou)

See the idea is to capture the difference on maintenance between petrol & diesel. See its like this if drive more kms in a MJD then maintenance will also be more right, similarly for petrol also its applicable. First enter number of kms depending on running then enter maintenance costs for your running, FE also you can enter for both city and highway. If one drives too much on highway versus city then probably the breakeven point will be reached even faster. Change values and play around you will have a fair idea.

Coming to the interest calculations, well money saved today and invested well will surely make a difference at the end of 5 years. Imagine if one invests the difference for the duration of the car say 5 years in a good Mutual Fund other than just bank FD, but anyway its .

Note from Mod : All points covered. The petrol versus diesel debate has been well covered on the forum. Please search.

This thread = closed

Last edited by GTO : 27th October 2009 at 23:14. Reason: Thread closing note
Old 27th October 2009, 23:13   #97
Senior - BHPian

Er... IMHO wrong factors you are looking at.

Try driving the cars for longer periods. Go with the one which tugs at your heart.

Having driven both, and the Petrol, extensively; I can safely say that both the cars are absolute gems and their real charm lies in the handling.

The Petrol I drove gave me a mileage of 13-14 during run-in. The AC was on at all times.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks