Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2009, 15:41   #1
BHPian

Buying Suzuki SS80 1984 model

Hi, I am due to buy this car in a day or two, wanted suggestions on the right price to pay for it.

Model: 1984
Condition: All original parts (Made in Japan), No dents, No rusts, tyres in a pretty good condition, music system, Central locking, tints, fog lamps etc.
Mileage: 50+K in 25 years
Ownership: I will be the Fourth Owner
Quote: Rs. 52,000/-

The car is in pretty good condition ofcourse there are some minor niggles, which can be sorted out without much ado...

URGENT: Can I go for this car at the quote given by the current owner?

Last edited by anarchist : 1st July 2009 at 15:44. Reason: Subscribing
Old 1st July 2009, 15:57   #2
BHPian

50,000 kms ??? in 25 years ?
sounds strange & unbelievable to me , if its correct then it means roughly 2000kms/ year .
dont know how well the car will function as it has ran so much low on mileage

Last edited by passion4cars : 1st July 2009 at 15:59.
Old 1st July 2009, 16:35   #3
BHPian

Well I had a test drive of the car recently and everything is fine as far as its performance is concerned, I am more worried about the price I have to pay is it tooooo much or a good buy?
Old 1st July 2009, 16:50   #4
BHPian

Hi anarchist, the price of good SS80s is that much. Even I paid 51k for my 1985 DX SS80. One thing though, even my car had 38k on the odo when I bought it, but it is highly unlikely unless it is documented. Is the ss80 in question a DX?

Thread mentioned below is about the ss80. You will find pics of my ss80 on page 10.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...i-ss80-dx.html
Old 1st July 2009, 17:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Already three owners, 50K on the odo would mean more than likely that it is 150K, and for a three owner car, I feel 52K is definitely on the higher side unless the car in very original and is in pristine condition, which is quite unlikely in this case I suppose.
Old 1st July 2009, 17:55   #6
BHPian

The price quoted is pretty reasonable if it is a genuine DX car. Anyway see if you can a bargain a bit and do post some pictures if possible.
Old 1st July 2009, 18:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Price is certainly too high unless the car is commanding some vintage value. 4th owner car should ideally be under 30k.
Old 2nd July 2009, 00:11   #8
BHPian

Well I seem to b getting conflicting answers out here not helping me decide:(
Old 2nd July 2009, 00:18   #9
Team-BHP Support

IF its genuine 50k kms its ok, irrespective of the number of owners for an excellent condition car. I have seen one such piece but having done 80k kms DX version with a close friend in Trivandrum. Take it to a good expert and get it checked to confirm the same.
Old 2nd July 2009, 06:47   #10
BHPian

brothers i really doubt 50000 kms in 25 yrs ? and also if its true ( let say benefit of doubt ) , will the machinery be in working condition for long drives , dont get me wrong but i have heard if the car hasn't been running , no use of buying it as it give problems later on.
Old 2nd July 2009, 08:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Is the car a DX? If so considering its a 3 owner car, try to negotiate for atleast 45k. If its a standard model, then reduce further. A genuine dx with actuall 50k mileage will command more than 50k, if it has all original fittings. You can check out the differentiating features of the dx version, from the ss80 thread.

By original japan parts, are you referring to the mech parts, or are the lights, indicators etc still the original japanese Tokaidenso/stanley units, if the latter items are present, the value goes up too. What colour is it in?

Also, guys, i am not sure about this car's mileage, but blindly saying that a car cannot have run just 50k in 25 years in just hogwash. My ss80 DX has done only 70k since 1985. I can show you several examples of 30+year old cars having run very unbelievably low kms.
Old 2nd July 2009, 08:43   #12
BHPian

This is not a DX just the standard model, its white in color (the paint is original too) its not been repainted, the mechanical parts as well as the lights/indicators are made in Japan. Well I was not convinced on the mileage too but asked the owner if it indeed had run so less in one generation but was told yes he was pretty sure it had not run more than 52K. Anybody in Bangalore, who can help me by checking out the car and letting me know if its worth it do let me know I will PM my cell number and drive you out to the car and back today and this help will be much appreciated.
Old 2nd July 2009, 09:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Last weeks' FreeAds had 2 cars, for 25,000 and 20,000 a piece. The 25,000 is a red one behind Brigade Millenium and the 20,000 was a white one with AP plates.

There was one sold near my area for 15,000

If the owner is knowledgeable about the future value of the car then the price cannot be reduced. If he is gettig rid of junk, then bargain hard

Wish I could come along to check the car out and offer my 2 pence worth, but work
Old 3rd July 2009, 09:56   #14
BHPian

Let me break the news. Anarchist bought the ss80 last night for 51k.

Anarchist and I went to see the SS80 last night. The moment I saw the car, I went 'Wow'. It is a genuine piece and has almost zero expense. The car was a 'Standard' model and has lot of extra fittings that can be easily reversed.

The car is in its original paint, zero rust, has 90% of original fittings. The engine is very smooth and rev-happy and I feel it might have done only a genuine 52k kms. The chrome roof gutter trims and chrome window weather strips look brand new. It even has the original chrome strips at the rear. The dash board looks spanking new and still has the standard audio din plate with 'Suzuki' embossed on it. The door pads and the plastic mat below the carpet also is in great shape. It is one of those cars that are taken care of very well by all the owners irrespective of the number(anarchist will be the 4th owner).

Mention of some Japanese parts:
Nippon Denso Alternator, Mikuni carb, Nippon Denso Distributor, Mitsubishi, one Stanley Sealed Beam, One Tokai Denso tail lamp and most of the glasses were Suzuki glasses etc.

It also comes with a Sony DVD player, TFT screen, new seat covers, Central locking and almost new tyres.

The only thing anarchist needs to invest is some DIY time. He needs to remove some additional chrome trims, Several Suzuki monograms, wheel trims, door handle chrome trims, door guards, rubber door strips and tints maybe.

Best thing was that the whole family loves the ss80 and the owners mum even gave anarchist the key after a small puja and blessings of god. The last time I saw something similar was when I bought my RD350 in 1999.

It is better than my ss80 anyday. I only wish we could have brought down the price further. But the owner (a nice friendly chap) knew what he had on his hands and was willing to wait until he gets that price.

I shot plenty of pics for my reference but they are night pics. We'll wait for anarchist to put up the pics.

All the very best mate. May you have many happy miles with this little wonder.
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your purchase of the classic Anarchist ! I am sure you will share a lot of good times with her ! Do post pics of her here soon..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks