Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2009, 01:06   #16
BHPian

I'm a fan of european engineering, thus Fiat Grande Punto is the automatic choice. But i believe maintaining a car is most difficult aspect. Punto has only 58% Indian parts, remaining are imported, which will just make a whole in your pocket during replacement. Just ask any Palio owner! Generally, Fiat cars are so rugged it doesn't goes to service centre too often, but when it goes it'll give you a thumbs down. And one more problem with Fiat cars in India - is the lousy service and step motherly behaviour by TATA workshops. On the other hand Getz is also a nice car but become dated. If you want to wait for couple of month you will have more option like Volkswagen Polo, Chevy Beat. Choice is yours....

Last edited by gaddiwale : 6th July 2009 at 01:09.
Old 6th July 2009, 01:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

i20 Crdi launching in 2 days. The magna variant just *might* be within your budget.
Old 6th July 2009, 05:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

and just a side point -

For everyone who screams of higher spares cost - please realize that if Punto has spares pricing like Linea - you have no cause to worry.

Surely, even if regular spares are say ~15-20% more than swift (i20 would be no cheaper considering all the creases) - Fiat parts last. There's no dearth of Fiat walas whose bumper has taken multiple hits and remains the same, while there's Swift walas (like yours truly) running around with partly fixed and misaligned bumper after a minor hit, because we don't wanna spend the 3-4k on bumper replacement for a minor hit!!!

Though yeah, if your car must tour the corners of the country - its Swift/Vista all the way!
Old 6th July 2009, 07:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

Few observations to further confuse you:

- Punto's noise insulation is very bad. It almost looks that you are sitting on the engine and driving

- As you have to work the Punto's engine to get power, the noise get even louder

- From outside the noise of Getz CRDI is more than Puntos but it has better sound insulation

- Punto is great looking from the outside but the quality of materials is suspect as its built to be aggresively cost with low spares

- Punto has a high turning radius and would be a pain to drive in City

- Getz is a hoot to drive

- Getz is dated and coming to the end of its lifecycle

- Getz is more practical when it comes to space, power, and A.S.S

- Punto's spares like bumper, plastics etc are cheap as they are localized and not high quality, however the foreign components in the drivetrain would be expensive and would take time to be shipped based on earlier experience with Fiat

========================================

I suggest you seriously take a look at other alternatives like i20 CRDI and Dzire. They would be far more complete as a package.
Old 6th July 2009, 07:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Few observations to further confuse you:

- Punto's noise insulation is very bad. It almost looks that you are sitting on the engine and driving
I don't agree to that. With the A/C and normal volume music, you won't be able to hear the engine noise at all inside the cabin. And there are no rattles whatsoever.

Coming back to your primary query, I would plonk my money on the Punto.

Reasons being:
  1. Its a newer car with loads of Gizmo's. Unless you are very particular about power and signal to signal racing, the Punto gives you decent power.
  2. Punto being a newer car compared to the Getz which is at the end of its lifecycle, you'll experience a better resale vale at the end of 5 years.
  3. Punto comes loaded with gizmo's and is quite a head turner.
But end of the day, its your money and your choice. Choose according towhat your value more and enjoy your ride.

Cheers
Old 6th July 2009, 12:15   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't agree to that. With the A/C and normal volume music, you won't be able to hear the engine noise at all inside the cabin.
We actually did. And the diesel boom / drone invades big time into the car on highway drives.
Old 6th July 2009, 12:24   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We actually did. And the diesel boom / drone invades big time into the car on highway drives.
Even Autocar mentioned that Fiat themselves agree to the fact that the GP gets less noise insulation and damping in comparison to the Linea.
Old 6th July 2009, 12:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I don't agree to that. With the A/C and normal volume music, you won't be able to hear the engine noise at all inside the cabin. And there are no rattles whatsoever.
  1. Its a newer car with loads of Gizmo's. Unless you are very particular about power and signal to signal racing, the Punto gives you decent power.
  2. Punto being a newer car compared to the Getz which is at the end of its lifecycle, you'll experience a better resale vale at the end of 5 years.
  3. Punto comes loaded with gizmo's and is quite a head turner.
Cheers

The punto's engine is hopelessly noisy. Too add to this, it needs to whipped to actually see some movement, making the drone downright annoying.

What gizmos are you talking about in the punto? Sure, the emotion pack is well equipped, but here, Fore runner is looking at the dynamic version. So its equally equipped compared to the getz.

The punto may be new now, but i'd wait a while before i comment on resale prices of fiat cars. The palio was a contemporary car when it was launched, what resale does it have now??

The getz may not be much better off in resale stakes, but hey, the fun you have while driving it will offset that!

But again, the future of the getz is still a mystery, if that does not bother you, then its getz all the way. Else look at the i20 magna, you may have to stretch your budget a lil, but it will be worth it.

Last edited by JayD : 6th July 2009 at 12:32.
Old 6th July 2009, 12:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post

- Punto's spares like bumper, plastics etc are cheap as they are localized and not high quality, however the foreign components in the drivetrain would be expensive and would take time to be shipped based on earlier experience with Fiat
any particular reason why PUNTO drivetrain would be costly ?
its the same drivetrain as seven other models from maruti/tata.

GETZ is officially taken off production (source - company employee) , i dont think you will be able to get your hands on fresh stock.
May be the dealers have some old stock lying around be carefull

Last edited by ms001 : 6th July 2009 at 12:38.
Old 6th July 2009, 13:02   #25
BHPian

Since you are looking the the Dynamic trim of the Punto I would say go for the Getz. If you were looking at the E+ I would say Punto due to all the features even though it is more expensive!
Old 6th July 2009, 13:03   #26
BHPian

with the launch of i20, the Getz 'may' get phased out. So better than the getz try out the i20 CRDi
Old 6th July 2009, 13:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

better wait for i20crdi to launch, TD that and then decide which one to opt for italian or korean.
Old 6th July 2009, 14:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Punto. Just because it has airbags and abs and ebd. They are life savers. Afterall life is more important than cars........
Old 6th July 2009, 14:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
I am planning to keep this car for atleast 5 years. And in a year the car may stand in my garage for 3-4 months due to my onsite job commitments. Apart from my local commute I usually go for a long trip of 1500KMs once in two months.
IMO a petrol hatchback would suit you better.
Old 6th July 2009, 15:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
any particular reason why PUNTO drivetrain would be costly ?
its the same drivetrain as seven other models from maruti/tata.
Let me rephrase, as per someones post Punto is 58% localized. I think the rest 42% spares might involve a harrowing waiting time and high cost. This is an assumption based on previous experiences with Fiat brand.

If they have improved I would be very very happy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks