Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2009, 00:07   #1
BHPian

Getz CRDi or Grande Punto MJD? EDIT - Booked Dzire VDi

Hi All,

I have been searching for a good hatchback for the past 6 months. My father already have a Tata Indica V2 (2003 model) but he resides at my native place so i need a car. Initially i was searching for good old Lancer diesel/ Accent DLS. Came through few Accents and Lancers but not satisfied with the condition and price. In between i was in abroad for few months so my car buying plan got postponed.

Now I decided to buy a new diesel hatchback and zeroed on Getz Diesel, Punto and Dzire. Eventhough Dzire is a sedan, i have just included this as option if the other two didn't meet my requirements.

My requirements:
1. A well built car (excluded Vista) -- Which is better Getz or Punto?
2. Silent Engine (Both inside and outside)--Which is better Getz or Punto?
3. Cost of Maintenance (including spares)--Which is better Getz or Punto?
4. Frequency of Service/ Maintenance-- Which is better Getz or Punto?
5. Good legroom (excluded Swift, in dilemma about punto)
6. Decent boot space, atleast a foldable rear seat (excluded Swift and included Dzire for its boot)
7. Decent Mileage (in dilemma about Getz D)

I am in complete confusion to go in between these two. While punto is new with a superior engine Getz is at the verge of it's life cycle. Punto is not as spacious as Getz (IMHO) and interiors are not as good as Getz. In servicing front Gets fares better than punto (IMHO). The price is almost same (between Punto Dynamic 5.7 OTR vs Getz' 5.52L OTR) and my budget is 5.0-6.0 L.

I am planning to keep this car for atleast 5 years. And in a year the car may stand in my garage for 3-4 months due to my onsite job commitments. Apart from my local commute I usually go for a long trip of 1500KMs once in two months.

Please give me your advice in deciding one of these two. With your advice I will book the car by end of this month.

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th July 2009, 00:13   #2
BHPian

If you can stretch your budget by a bit then wait for the i20 CRDi.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-i20-crdi.html

Otherwise, my vote goes to the Getz CRDi.
Old 5th July 2009, 00:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

As of now, you won't be able to get the Getz as most of the dealers across the country don't have it in stock.
Old 5th July 2009, 00:33   #4
BHPian

Thanks kpzen and live2drice.

@kpzen Inquired a local dealer at chennai two days back and he said it is available with them.
Old 5th July 2009, 01:21   #5
BHPian

Booking for Getz D is still open but with a 4 week delivery period.
Old 5th July 2009, 01:58   #6
BHPian

Punto buddy !!!

Service in intervals of 15,000 kms. Imagine how amazingly low your maintenance costs will be
Old 5th July 2009, 02:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Punto buddy !!!

Service in intervals of 15,000 kms. Imagine how amazingly low your maintenance costs will be
Thanks Amogh,

What about my pain points in punto i.e., Rear legroom, Interior quality and NVH (both inside and outside)?
In other aspects Getz and Punto are neck to neck.
Old 5th July 2009, 10:56   #8
BHPian

In leg rear room, Getz is better than the Punto. Read it here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-25-lakhs.html

As far as interiors are concerned, the Punto comes with many goodies. Check the test drive thread by GTO
Old 5th July 2009, 16:33   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Except for outright performance, better put together interiors and more space at the rear, the Punto has the Getz beaten. It's far more modern, a ton more solid, has superior highway manners and - most importantly - comes with airbags / ABS on the diesel too.

I suggest you take a spin in both before deciding. But if it were me, I'd go for the Punto. As live2drive suggested, you might want to check out the i20 diesel too.
Old 5th July 2009, 17:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post

My requirements:
Both are evenly matched. The punto may feel a lil more solid though.

Quote:
Getz all the way. the punto's engine makes a racket, and is ridiculously underpowered.

Quote:
The getz is quite economical to own. Don't know about the punto. Haven't checked out the prices. But finding parts can be a problem, if fiat does not improve its A.S.S.

Quote:
4. Frequency of Service/ Maintenance-- Which is better Getz or Punto?
The punto has more time between services than the getz. But i think it will need more maintenence than a hyundai, going by the number of nuggling faults the linea owners are experiencing.

Quote:
Legroom and punto don't even belong in the same sentence. getz all the way.

Quote:
6. Decent boot space, atleast a foldable rear seat (excluded Swift and included Dzire for its boot)
I think both are matched on this.

Quote:
getz has good mileage, since you don't need to push the engine hard, and it has immense torque. The puno on the other hand, needs to be whipped if you wnat to get anywhere, and this could hurt FE. Also, its weight works against it.

Quote:
I am in complete confusion to go in between these two. While punto is new with a superior engine Getz is at the verge of it's life cycle. Punto is not as spacious as Getz (IMHO) and interiors are not as good as Getz. In servicing front Gets fares better than punto (IMHO). The price is almost same (between Punto Dynamic 5.7 OTR vs Getz' 5.52L OTR) and my budget is 5.0-6.0 L.

I am planning to keep this car for atleast 5 years. And in a year the car may stand in my garage for 3-4 months due to my onsite job commitments. Apart from my local commute I usually go for a long trip of 1500KMs once in two months.
The punto is a far more modern car than the getz, and will turn a lot of heads wherever it goes. The getz on the other hand is very understated. your pick.

After 5 years, both may not have terrifica resale, compared to say, a swift. The getz, because its old, and the punto, well, its a fiat isn't it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Punto buddy !!!

Depends on how much the service costs for each service are. Also, going by reports on how 'good' the T.A.S.S guys are, i won't have too much expectations.

My vote would go for the getz. its simply the best hatch to drive, and old looks aside, has very little flaws. If the dealer has one in stock, grab it.

P.S: if you can raise your budget, the i20 crdi would be worth the wait.
Old 5th July 2009, 18:22   #11
BHPian

Thanks GTO and JayD,

@GTO
With the inputs from BHPians (and the great GTO himself) the interior plastics of Punto is not as good as Getz'. Everyone says the interior of Punto is a let down. Please put me more light on this.

@JayD
From the feedback of Getz owners from TBHP shows the mileage of Getz is between 15-17 KMPl which i think is lower than Fiat's MJD 17-19 (Palio MJD with similar weight). Can anybody give some exact figures here?

Thanks again for your inputs.
Old 5th July 2009, 22:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Just drive it for yourself.

Here, we all love to advocate things that fit with our perceptions/brand loyalties than realities - i'd suggest connecting with prajesh/undead etc as well as aqualeo etc.

PS: You want cheap plastics, come see a Maruti (for cheap cheaper looking plastics, Tata!)
Old 5th July 2009, 22:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
Hi All,

I have been searching for a good hatchback for the past 6 months. My father already have a Tata Indica V2 (2003 model) but he resides at my native.
Here are my observations having observed both Getz crdi and Punto (today) for quite a long time.

Quote:
Punto all the way, its the best built car in the hatchback segment as of now. Hope you sae GTO's Punto thread, an i10 banged into rear of Punto and i10 got broken bumper+bent bonnet and Punto- just a misaligned bumper. That speaks for build quality

Quote:
I found the CRDI motor to be a tad noisier than the 1.3 national engine. Inside Punto the sound insulation was quite good. Just listen to sound levels standing outside a Verna crdi and you would know.

Quote:
With a service interval of 15000 kms Punto will be anyday cheaper to maintain. For Linea 15k kms service costs max 3-4k so yearly maintenance charge will not exceed 4k at max. With getz is it 5000 kms service interval? Dont worry about spares, went to TASS for 1st time and they had all spares i needed. A fuel filler lid and even a broken AC vent. Things have changed, Fiat has provided cheapest spares for Linea compared to Maruti, Hyundai, Honda, Ford. Expect the same for Punto as both cars share platforms.

Quote:
In case of rear legroom, Getz has more legroom i agree. Why dont you try sitting in rear and check out yourself.

Quote:
Dzire will have best boot but are yiu seriously considering it?

Quote:
Punto will have more mileage whatever way you drive. Its a much more fuel efficient engine than crdi motor. Expect highway mileage above 21-22 as current Linea with 86 bhp VGT manages 20 + on highways easily.

Quote:
I am in complete confusion to go in between these two. While punto is new with a superior engine Getz is at the verge of it's life cycle. Punto is not as spacious as Getz (IMHO) and interiors are not as good as Getz. In servicing front Gets fares better than punto (IMHO).
If you love outright acceleration and like to be the 1st one off the red light and are always in that mood, go for Getz crdi, otherwise to me it doesnt makes sense to go for an old horse. Punto is a latest car, excels in all departments, Looks, handling, Safety (no ABS in getz, no airbags in getz), features.
See if you can give away safety, features, better stability and handling and a new car for just the engine power. Its your choice. I will pick up Punto, Getz is at the end of production very soon, i 20 has good interiors, Getz doesnt has average interiors and Punto bad bad.

My choice is Punto for its new snob value, tough build, excellent safety features, gizmos, nice looks and an improving tata-fiat A.S.S. Contact intitial Punto owners for any help. All are loving their cars, the handling is so good in Fiat cars...

Last edited by coolboy007 : 5th July 2009 at 22:55.
Old 5th July 2009, 23:21   #14
BHPian

I second that.
I will list out strong negatives against Getz.
- The getz is going to be discontinued soon
- No safety features like ABS & Airbags
- It doesn't have any of the modern features (Automatic climate control, Multi-Information display, steering controls, Blue & me)

If interior quality, fast engine are really high on your mind, then better check out the new I20 CRDI. Be prepared to shell out a 75k premium (atleast) over punto, though.

In the end, its upto you to decide if you want to be seen in a hot new car like Punto/I20 or an old horse!

P.S: And as for Dzire, thats not a car , thats a frankenstein monster. (Sorry Dzire owners, strictly my opinion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post

If you love outright acceleration and like to be the 1st one off the red light and are always in that mood, go for Getz crdi, otherwise to me it doesnt makes sense to go for an old horse. Punto is a latest car, excels in all departments, Looks, handling, Safety (no ABS in getz, no airbags in getz), features.
See if you can give away safety, features, better stability and handling and a new car for just the engine power. Its your choice. I will pick up Punto, Getz is at the end of production very soon, i 20 has good interiors, Getz doesnt has average interiors and Punto bad bad.

Last edited by neotraveller : 5th July 2009 at 23:24.
Old 5th July 2009, 23:53   #15
BHPian

Guys, his budget is 5-6L. Anyways, he cant get ABS and airbags in the Punto in that budget. So why shd Punto's ABS+AB be a plus point?

Forerunner, my choice is Punto. But it doesn't matter. I suggest u test drive both, and see what your 'body' is comfortable with. Listen deeply, and your heart will tell u what to buy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks