Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2009, 11:07   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99
yes family guys and as a matter of fact everyone needs handling too,but do you think handling between these two cars is so many miles apart??

Give me a break man .. come and drive my 7 year + "FIAT " palio S 10, then we can talk about handling !! I have extensively driven a Swift .. its not bad but cant compare it with even Palio S10 , forget Punto !

Quote:
dont tell me punto is beating swift's handling by miles.
Its older cousin Palio would beat it hands down !

Quote:
so when your pretty Goat or famous cow or something else comes on suddenly on the road, both will be alive if you have your eyes open,and hands on the stearing wheel in either of the car be it Getz or punto,in all other cases someones gonna get hurt!

Though i have test driven a GLE Getz .. am not sure about its high speep cornering ability, but we all have 2 hands and 2 eyses and guess most of us keep out eyes open and hands on wheeel while driving... Isnt it the way we all guys drive ??

Do drive a few cars to understand handling , how some cars feel like fat cows when you suddenly twich the wheel !

Quote:
we were talking about getz crdi and punto base diesel models on this side of 6l,was it not understood that i am talking about fiat india?? and there so called proven paltform

I guess we have always heard a lot of Fiat Bashing , but my experience with Maruti True value and maruti service is strictly OK ann yes I do agree wwe sometime find it difficult to get some parts of out of production Palio's , but even with my 96 Esteem there were cases like this !!

And to talk about plastic quality ... Man just check out a old alio GTX or better a S 10 , then talk .. if you can tolerate hyundai santro / accent plastic for decades , why make a noise about Punto ? I had test driven a Punto MJD .. I dnt find plastic to be that bad , far far better than many sedans !!

Wake up !

Last edited by karizma_devil : 9th July 2009 at 11:09.
Old 9th July 2009, 11:28   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post

Give me a break man .. come and drive my 7 year + "FIAT " palio S 10, then we can talk about handling !! I have extensively driven a Swift .. its not bad but cant compare it with even Palio S10 , forget Punto !
You are right palio is far better than swift in terms of handling and cornering at high speeds.
One can know about palio is by driving it at high speeds and cornering, it gives lots of confidence. With a good set of tyres palio is unbeatable in tems of handling among the hatchback. Right guys..?
Old 9th July 2009, 11:59   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharu945 View Post
You are right palio is far better than swift in terms of handling and cornering at high speeds.
One can know about palio is by driving it at high speeds and cornering, it gives lots of confidence. With a good set of tyres palio is unbeatable in tems of handling among the hatchback. Right guys..?

Very true i have taken her upto 130 kmph .. and she is rock solid !!
I have Michelin Energy rubbers ( Amit please correct me if am wrong)... they are superb in heavry rains also !!

If feel there is no point comparing palio's ride/ handling quality.. its in a different league.
Old 9th July 2009, 15:06   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very true i have taken her upto 130 kmph .. and she is rock solid !!
I have Michelin Energy rubbers ( Amit please correct me if am wrong)... they are superb in heavry rains also !!
Yes it's Michelin Energy XM1. These tyres are heavily biased towards ride quality. The S10's handling has been dented with these tyres. Even I was amazed at the difference just by switching tyres.
Old 9th July 2009, 16:51   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Yes it's Michelin Energy XM1. These tyres are heavily biased towards ride quality. The S10's handling has been dented with these tyres. Even I was amazed at the difference just by switching tyres.
Amit am sure you must have better experienced the superb body balance, which give you an exemplary ride quality and mature handling that bigger cars could emulate, I feel am in full control even at 120-30 Kmph ranges.

Coming back to the main topic , even though i have test driven a GP I have not pushed her beyond 90kmph .. but still it felt rock solid and well planted !

I have not doubt you should not go for an outdated Getz .. GP should be logical and clear choice !

Last edited by karizma_devil : 9th July 2009 at 16:54.
Old 10th July 2009, 00:24   #66
Senior - BHPian

Getz CRDi
Good:
-Engine
-Build quality
-Suspension
-Stability at high speeds
-Better Service support.
-Space
-FE

Bad :
- Uncertain future.To be phased out soon if i20 does well in market.
- Brake feel (Nose dips while braking)
- No extended warranty
- lacks ABS
- Beige interiors

PUNTO MJD

Good:
- Stunning design
- Loaded interiors
- Fantastic steering design
- ABS/EBD, Airbags
- Tata support and network could be an advantage.
- Good wheel combo

Bad:
- Engine too noisy and lacks the punch.
- Build quality is nowhere near the Palios they have sold in the past.. Especially the plastic quality is very flimsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharu945 View Post
palio is far better than swift in terms of handling and cornering at high speeds.
Which variant of Palio? 1.2/ 1.6 GTX or S10 ?
Can u be a little more specific ?

Last edited by kpzen : 10th July 2009 at 00:26.
Old 10th July 2009, 00:48   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
- Build quality is nowhere near the Palios they have sold in the past..
I Disagree with you here,except for plastics Punto has no build quality issue,even the Palio was known for its bad plastics if you remember.

Punto's ride and handling balance is way above segment best.
Old 10th July 2009, 09:55   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Getz CRDi

Which variant of Palio? 1.2/ 1.6 GTX or S10 ?
Can u be a little more specific ?
I can personaly vouch for 1.6 GTX & s10.

I simply fail to understand , when we can live with Logan, Wagon R , Zen Estilo , Accent , Santro , A Star , plastics , why cry about Punto ?????

Punto plastics are not the best , but they are better than may !
Old 10th July 2009, 12:25   #69
BHPian

@Prajesh Thanks a lot for your point by point inputs.

Quote:
Getz CRDi
Good:
Normally i wouldn't drive above 120 (but my dad do!) . Infact my highest speed ever was in my Pulsar ~105 KMPh

Quote:
-FE
Can you please give the (approx.) difference between MJD and 1.5 CRDi? Driving is sedate 35% city 65% Highway.

Quote:
Bad :
- No extended warranty
- lacks ABS
- Beige interiors
Very valid points. Thanks a lot.

Quote:
PUNTO MJD

Good:
- Loaded interiors
- ABS/EBD, Airbags
- Good wheel combo
I am considering Punto Dynamic which suits my budget. And Dynamic is more or less same as that of Getz in terms of the above parameters.

Quote:
Bad:
- Build quality is nowhere near the Palios they have sold in the past.. Especially the plastic quality is very flimsy.
The above two are the main reasons (the others are rear seat space/legroom) why i have dilemma over Punto.
Old 10th July 2009, 12:29   #70
BHPian

[quote=kpzen;1377805]Getz CRDi
Good:
-Engine
-Build quality
-Suspension
-Better Service support.
-Space
-FE

Bad :
- No extended warranty
- lacks ABS
- Beige interiors

Prajesh - are u sure : here the sales guy when I bought the car told me that they could arrange for an extended warranty scheme if I got one in 90 days ...
Old 10th July 2009, 13:06   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I Disagree with you here,except for plastics Punto has no build quality issue,even the Palio was known for its bad plastics if you remember.
I didn't say it has build quality issue, the plastic quality is not great.
Quote:
-I can personaly vouch for 1.6 GTX & s10.

-I simply fail to understand , when we can live with Logan, Wagon R , Zen Estilo , Accent , Santro , A Star , plastics , why cry about Punto ?????

-Punto plastics are not the best , but they are better than may !
- GTX is not far better than Swift in terms of handling, both are equally good. Haven't driven the S10.
- Why are u comparing Punto with Wagon R , Estillo , Santro ?? Different segment ??
- May be, but the comparison is with Getz as per the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
1. Normally i wouldn't drive above 120 (but my dad do!) . Infact my highest speed ever was in my Pulsar ~105 KMPh
2. Can you please give the (approx.) difference between MJD and 1.5 CRDi? Driving is sedate 35% city 65% Highway.
1. If u have 105 in Pulsar then u will definitely do a lot more with this car.
2. Check my ownership thread, its there in detail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samatre View Post
Prajesh - are u sure : here the sales guy when I bought the car told me that they could arrange for an extended warranty scheme if I got one in 90 days ...
No chance.

Last edited by kpzen : 10th July 2009 at 13:07.
Old 10th July 2009, 15:02   #72
BHPian

Quote:
PUNTO MJD

Good:
Bad:

--
From my personal experience:
Almost 800 kms done. Till date I dint have much to complain about the engine noise. Actually, if you slot it in 5th and cruise along at 80, all you can hear is the wind noise. A far cry from the swifts I have been driven in before. Done 140kmph on the speedo and still had lots to go before redline.
Did not try to test the 0-100 time, but it is definitely closer to the swift category than the stupid 17sec quoted by some reputed sites.Will wait till the first service before I test the drag times. Did manage to burn rubber both in 1st and 2nd and of course there was a lil bit of a torque steer.

Btw. I am still trying to break some of the plastic parts..
Old 10th July 2009, 16:38   #73
BHPian

Quote:
I didn't say it has build quality issue, the plastic quality is not great.

- GTX is not far better than Swift in terms of handling, both are equally good. Haven't driven the S10.
- Why are u comparing Punto with Wagon R , Estillo , Santro ?? Different segment ??
- May be, but the comparison is with Getz as per the title.

1. If u have 105 in Pulsar then u will definitely do a lot more with this car.
2. Check my ownership thread, its there in detail.

No chance.
I was just trying to drive home the point that we have accepted poor plastics from Maruti ( Segment Higher than Getz/ Gp and segmet lower or at par)
Old 10th July 2009, 16:40   #74
Senior - BHPian

In a lighter vein

My responses in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
--
From my personal experience:
Almost 800 kms done. Till date I dint have much to complain about the engine noise. Actually, if you slot it in 5th and cruise along at 80, if you get into 5th at all! all you can hear is the wind noise. You need to see an ear doctor ASAP! A far cry from the swifts I have been driven in before. Done 140kmph on the speedo and still had lots to go before redline. Blame parallax error for this.
Did not try to test the 0-100 time, but it is definitely closer to the swift category than the stupid 17sec quoted by some reputed sites. Impossible. Will wait till the first service before I test the drag times. Did manage to burn rubber both in 1st and 2nd and of course there was a lil bit of a torque steer. The only way to burn rubber is to pour petrol on the tyres and set it afire.

Btw. I am still trying to break some of the plastic parts.. Why trouble yourself when there are so many who would gladly do it for you

In short, how can you compare a product from a 'Johnny come lately' of the old world with products that come from the Asians, pioneers in automobile design. Asia after all is at the cutting edge of technology and therefore holds it's rightful place under the Sun (the Sun rises over Asia first, before it moves on to other parts of the world).

Cheers
Old 10th July 2009, 17:00   #75
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have both of these and have driven them exclusively in the city and highways. Swift's handling is good only in cities. GTX's handling is good in highways, in fact excellent. I'm not saying its bad in cities but the turning radius is a major letdown. Swift does not exude the confidence after 120-130 kmph whereas you can yawn at that speed and above in a GTX.

Coming to the topic, since the comparo is between Getz and Punto for the thread starter, I have no doubts that both the products are good and you will make a sensible decision but I can't help asking this question to you -

Why are you considering an end of a PLC product? If a model is discontinued but is still VFM, you can buy a nice second hand car. And since you are considering a new car, what better option than a Punto or an i20?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks