Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2009, 17:25   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
My responses in bold

In short, how can you compare a product from a 'Johnny come lately' of the old world with products that come from the Asians, pioneers in automobile design. Asia after all is at the cutting edge of technology and therefore holds it's rightful place under the Sun (the Sun rises over Asia first, before it moves on to other parts of the world).

Cheers
Har har, those were indeed cryptic comments, sirji!

Could not help bursting out in laughter.
Old 10th July 2009, 17:53   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
My responses in bold

In short, how can you compare a product from a 'Johnny come lately' of the old world with products that come from the Asians, pioneers in automobile design. Asia after all is at the cutting edge of technology and therefore holds it's rightful place under the Sun (the Sun rises over Asia first, before it moves on to other parts of the world).
Cheers
ROTFLMAO!!!

If I dint know you better, I would have mistaken you for someone from the Land of Morning Calm
Old 10th July 2009, 18:03   #78
OEM
BHPian

My two pence

[quote=ForeRunner;1371031]Hi All,

My requirements:
1. A well built car (excluded Vista) -- Which is better Getz or Punto? - equal on both points. The Getz scores on the plastics too
2. Silent Engine (Both inside and outside)--Which is better Getz or Punto?- The punto is a tad louder.
3. Cost of Maintenance (including spares)--Which is better Getz or Punto? - The spares cost (though could be introductory), service cost and intervals make the Punto a winner here
4. Frequency of Service/ Maintenance-- Which is better Getz or Punto? -as above
5. Good legroom (excluded Swift, in dilemma about punto) - This is something I would like to clarify...The punto's front seat travel is far longer that the Getz and most other cars. For a regularly built guy, this can translate into equivalent distance in the rear for both cars
6. Decent boot space, atleast a foldable rear seat (excluded Swift and included Dzire for its boot) - Punto hands down
7. Decent Mileage (in dilemma about Getz D) - Too early to say for the Punto

I am in complete confusion to go in between these two. While punto is new with a superior engine Getz is at the verge of it's life cycle. (+1) Punto is not as spacious as Getz (IMHO) and interiors are not as good as Getz (You need to do a test drive again)
The higher engine sound will settle once the car has run in. Also its is classic trait of new engine in the market.

In servicing front Gets fares better than punto (IMHO) - If you meant attitude, i would not agree except for stray cases like Concorde Hyd). The price is almost same (between Punto Dynamic 5.7 OTR vs Getz' 5.52L OTR) and my budget is 5.0-6.0 L. agreed

I am planning to keep this car for atleast 5 years. And in a year the car may stand in my garage for 3-4 months due to my onsite job commitments. Apart from my local commute I usually go for a long trip of 1500KMs once in two months.

(Then its def the Punto. simple back of envelope calculation....the Getz is reaching the end of its lifecycle...and god forbid the i20 with its exhorbitant price becomes a winner will only hasten the death of the getz)

The Puto that way will outlive the getz

i have extensively driven both of them and you will see a test drive report soon. So these are based on them.

Guess that helps!!!
Old 10th July 2009, 18:06   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
PUNTO MJD

Good:
- Stunning design
- Loaded interiors
- Fantastic steering design (The steering is actually good, not just the design)
- ABS/EBD, Airbags
- Tata support and network could be an advantage.
- Good wheel combo
- (You forgot) class leading ride and handling

Bad:
- Engine too noisy and lacks the punch.
Yeah show me one diesel which is silent at 3500 - 4000 rpm
- Build quality is nowhere near the Palios they have sold in the past.. Especially the plastic quality is very flimsy.
I am surprised this comes from some who has a Getz with beige interiors! Build quality is as good if not better than a Palio and this comes from a Palio owner unlike others in the thread which have no prior experience with any FIAT.
My replies in bold. .
Old 10th July 2009, 23:12   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEM View Post

i have extensively driven both of them and you will see a test drive report soon. So these are based on them.
Thanks for the inputs.
Could u please tell us how extensively have u driven both the cars ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
1. Fantastic steering design (The steering is actually good, not just the design)

2. (You forgot) class leading ride and handling

3. Yeah show me one diesel which is silent at 3500 - 4000 rpm

4. I am surprised this comes from some who has a Getz with beige interiors!

5.Build quality is as good if not better than a Palio and this comes from a Palio owner unlike others in the thread which have no prior experience with any FIAT.
1. The steering feel was perfect but too high even after adjusting its height.
2. Yeah i can read the ad.
3. Woooohh...Easy !! Have i anywhere mentioned about engine noise @ 3500 + rpm ???
Getz CRdi engine is less noiser than Punto MJD. There are no two sides about it.
4. Whats beige interiors gotto do with plastic quality ?? its just a color.
5. Some guy(fiat owner) here has mentioned that even Palio also had plastic issue which i didn't know. So i'm now

Last edited by kpzen : 10th July 2009 at 23:15.
Old 10th July 2009, 23:35   #81
BHPian

Well apart form so called ledd mileage in Getz, i dont see any draw back into it.

Being a hyundai, one can have peace of mind for years togehter after having it. Which is not the case for Punto.

Unless Fiat revive their ***, Getz (now with decently prized) is a claear winner.
Old 10th July 2009, 23:46   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Being a hyundai, one can have peace of mind for years togehter after having it. Which is not the case for Punto.
Why not for Punto?

I am owning a Palio for the past 5+ years & had a great ownership experience so far!
The car is running absolutly fine with no issues, all that I do is routine service every 5000 kms.
Old 10th July 2009, 23:47   #83
BHPian

Please do not compare the PalioGTX/S10.

In my immediate family we have the Getz, Vista, Dezire, Junkindica and the GTX.
The other cars do not remotely come close to the GTX in ride and handling and I mean on stock tires. When I say remotely I mean the GTX is in an all together different league. The only 2 cars that can compare with the GTX is the Skoda Laura Petrol (not test driven yet but could not keep up with it in the twisties when I was inthe GTX) and the Ford Fiesta S.
As far as I have heard the Punto rides better than the GTX so naturally you would have to shell out more than 12 lakhs to get better ride and handling quality than the Punto. My deductions could be wrong though with after market tire upgrades but on stock tires Punto is difficult to beat with cars below 12 lakhs.
Old 11th July 2009, 02:19   #84
Senior - BHPian

Pug/plug?

Hi Doc & Finney,

Now the PUG can officialy include the Puntos! If one includes the Lineas it would have to read PLUG, dunno if one would want that.

I have given up on trying to convince people on the qualities of cars (post no 74 here is an example). They can continue to believe what they will and, eat crow everytime they come across an "unreliable car, with horrid handling, underpowered engine and terrible A.S.S." while I, shall continue to enjoy my ride whose closest rival is priced several times higher. I am glad my car is kinda exclusive! Yes I agree with Doc, the Fiesta 1.6 Sport and the Skoda are perhaps the only two cars (not super-cars or super expensive cars) that compare favourably with the GTX.

Cheers,

P.S. Just for the record: Neither the original owner nor I, have managed to break any of the plastic in the Palio, it is 7 (mfd) or 5 (regd) years old and there are still no rattles (except for my loose change and CD covers).

Cheers again,
Old 11th July 2009, 07:54   #85
BHPian

Been following this thread for a while and a few things that are apparent

a) Getz is not a bad car but it's time to move on. No point trying to make a solid case for it by trying to undermine other cars. It has aged gracefully and it's not in its prime anyway though it calls itself as "I am Getz Prime" ( aahaa ..bad PJ)

b) Palio owners/ Punto owners(wannabe Owners),supporters are quite vocal in their love and suppport for the brand.
i) Part of it is due to the fact that the car in reality is not that bad as it is made out to be.
ii) The brand always fared like an underdog though it did not deserve that place.
iii) The Products that fiat has on offer has been priced very competitively and inspite of that people want to see the non issues and make big issues out of it. The After Sales Service has been been its curse ( thats the last trick you use someone not to go for it)

Having seen/ driven the Getz, I would certainly not say that it has excellent plastics better than brand A ,B or C. All I can say is that at this range of price, you really cannot expect softish, nice looking and nice textured plastics.

In my books if the cars dont rattle and the interiors look alright, the quality is good.

Having said all the above, If i were in the market to buy a car , I would probably see Punto as a better VFM proposition on many counts of comparison and the same cannot be said about the common man. Someone just has to whisper the dreaded 3 letters and he will be gone

It was a bit OT, excuse me.
Old 11th July 2009, 08:15   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
Been following this thread for a while and a few things that are apparent

a) Getz is not a bad car but it's time to move on. No point trying to make a solid case for it by trying to undermine other cars. It has aged gracefully and it's not in its prime anyway though it calls itself as "I am Getz Prime" ( aahaa ..bad PJ)

b) Palio owners/ Punto owners(wannabe Owners),supporters are quite vocal in their love and suppport for the brand.
i) Part of it is due to the fact that the car in reality is not that bad as it is made out to be.
ii) The brand always fared like an underdog though it did not deserve that place.
iii) The Products that fiat has on offer has been priced very competitively and inspite of that people want to see the non issues and make big issues out of it. The After Sales Service has been been its curse ( thats the last trick you use someone not to go for it)

Having seen/ driven the Getz, I would certainly not say that it has excellent plastics better than brand A ,B or C. All I can say is that at this range of price, you really cannot expect softish, nice looking and nice textured plastics.

In my books if the cars dont rattle and the interiors look alright, the quality is good.

Having said all the above, If i were in the market to buy a car , I would probably see Punto as a better VFM proposition on many counts of comparison and the same cannot be said about the common man. Someone just has to whisper the dreaded 3 letters and he will be gone

It was a bit OT, excuse me.
+1 to all the above.

I somehow don't get it, how can you compare a 2000/2001 designed European Hatchback from a Korean Company to 2007 designed fully Italian/ European Hatchback. I feel its like comparing Apple to Oranges.

Unless of course you literally feel strongly about all that's said in #74.

Cheers
Old 1st August 2009, 22:03   #87
BHPian

advice on buying a midsize car

friends, i have at present maruti 800 model 2000 mpfi and it is still serving me well but after 10 years i am thinking to move up as the family needs more space. i am adventurous and love to drive up the hills. i have driven my maruti up to rohtang pass couple of times and would like to drive up to Leh next time but need a more powerful midsize car.

First i thought of UVA due to its good space inside and still have a fancy for it but reviews mention about weak throttle power, poor service. Then the I20 came in but everyone said it is overpriced and same 1.2 engine.

Then thought of Swift but again a Maruti, naah! i want a change, it is so boring to see the same car for years. Now comes the PUNTO, it looks dashing and is bigger than the present hatchbacks and is loaded with features like Blue & me which is unique and is not available for other cars! or is it? I guess for Rs. 6.11 lac for the top version 1.4 engine it is a value for money.

If you keep on doing R&D then you cannot buy any car and i feel the present maruti 800 is still OK, has good pick up, gives no trouble and minimal maintenance! You like to upgrade only for the cause of buying a novelty. I am planning for a Punto, would you give me reasons not to go ahead. Resale is the last thing on my mind as i like to keep my possessions to myself and do not make investments in objects. regards.pradeep ivon
Old 13th September 2009, 15:28   #88
BHPian

Atlst Booked Dzire VDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
Hi All,

I have been searching for a good hatchback for the past 6 months. My father already have a Tata Indica V2 (2003 model) but he resides at my native place so i need a car. Initially i was searching for good old Lancer diesel/ Accent DLS. Came through few Accents and Lancers but not satisfied with the condition and price. In between i was in abroad for few months so my car buying plan got postponed.

Now I decided to buy a new diesel hatchback and zeroed on Getz Diesel, Punto and Dzire. Eventhough Dzire is a sedan, i have just included this as option if the other two didn't meet my requirements.

My requirements:
1. A well built car (excluded Vista) -- Which is better Getz or Punto?
2. Silent Engine (Both inside and outside)--Which is better Getz or Punto?
3. Cost of Maintenance (including spares)--Which is better Getz or Punto?
4. Frequency of Service/ Maintenance-- Which is better Getz or Punto?
5. Good legroom (excluded Swift, in dilemma about punto)
6. Decent boot space, atleast a foldable rear seat (excluded Swift and included Dzire for its boot)
7. Decent Mileage (in dilemma about Getz D)

I am in complete confusion to go in between these two. While punto is new with a superior engine Getz is at the verge of it's life cycle. Punto is not as spacious as Getz (IMHO) and interiors are not as good as Getz. In servicing front Gets fares better than punto (IMHO). The price is almost same (between Punto Dynamic 5.7 OTR vs Getz' 5.52L OTR) and my budget is 5.0-6.0 L.

I am planning to keep this car for atleast 5 years. And in a year the car may stand in my garage for 3-4 months due to my onsite job commitments. Apart from my local commute I usually go for a long trip of 1500KMs once in two months.

Please give me your advice in deciding one of these two. With your advice I will book the car by end of this month.

Thanks in advance.
Dear All,

Thanks for every one to put their most valuable inputs on deciding the car. Every point given by TBHP is very valid and precise. Thanks a lot.

After a long deliberation I booked Swift Dzire VDi (White) few weeks back. Even though Dzire was not in my desirables' list, I opted it due to the following reasons.

1. Getz D- I tried my best to get one but in Chennai only one GetzD (Black) was available and was blocked by some one. The sales person kept on saying that he would get one for me if i wait for some more time. But it didn't materialize.

2. Punto MJD- My budget restrictions didn't allow me to look for Emotion and Emotion PK variants. (Even though Dzire VDi is 6.45L OTR, I felt its one class higher in the segment.) One more reason is the NVH inside the car. It is a tad higher than Swift D and Getz D. I felt the NVH is as comparable to Palio MJD. If at all i can digest with this NVH I can go with Palio MJD itself. I can't clearly distinguish the advantages in going for Punto (apart from fresh design and a better Gear Box).

I think IMHO the above points are valid which justifies my selection.

One of my friends working in Maruthi promised me to get the car delivered in few weeks against few months .

In the mean time I have some more inputs from you.

1. Dzire VDi comes with an inbuilt Audio system which doesn’t support USB. Is there any way to have it USB/iPod enabled here? The sales person says it can't accommodate an external ICE unit. If I can put an aftermarket USB enabled ICE please suggest one.

2. I was quoted 28K for the alloy wheels (pack of 5) from Maruthi. Please advice me a better idea/ lead in this issue where I can get a better deal and how much it will cost. I want to put 15" alloys. Is this a correct/better size for Dzire?

3. I want to upgrade the tires before taking the delivery. I am planning to put Michelin XM1 (185/R15/65). Maruthi can take back all the stock tires only for 1100 Rs. Can I have a better deal any where else?

Thanks and looking for your inputs.

Last edited by ForeRunner : 13th September 2009 at 15:32. Reason: Format
Old 25th September 2009, 10:52   #89
BHPian

[quote=OEM;1378913][quote=ForeRunner;1371031]Hi All,

6. Decent boot space, atleast a foldable rear seat (excluded Swift and included Dzire for its boot) - Punto hands down
quote]

I agree to all the point except this.

The answer is Getz hands down. The front seat are approximately equal but for rear and boot, Getz is more spacious than Punto.

If you are a speed fan go for Getz Prime if not Punto should be your choice.
Old 29th September 2009, 19:55   #90
BHPian

i had parked this thread and was going to reply to it at an appropriate time.

I wanted to share my experience about the "loudness" of Punto's engine.

After the first service which is @ 3000 km (and oil + oil filter change) the engine becomes incredibly refined and I am specifically going to add : SILENT. And not only me, amit has also had a similar observation.

In fact after my recent drive to Mahabaleshwar, when for the first time I drove the car consistently at speeds of above 110-120 km/hr, the engine has started to feel all the more refined.

Yes, the engine is noisy for the first 3k - 4k kms. But after it frees up, it does get refined and silent.

Just my 2 cents

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks